IBM Cognos 8.4.1 - A user review
On a scale of 1-10, how likely are you to recommend IBM Cognos Report Studio if asked by a colleague? What advice would you have for that colleague?
Please provide some examples of things that IBM Cognos Report Studio does particularly well.
- There are a variety of formats available for producing data (HTML, PDF, Excel (several versions), .csv, XML.
- They have a very good method of report scheduling and email delivery. You can set a report up on a schedule to be delivered, then forget about it. It takes care of itself.
- You can access SQL views and queries within Cognos Report Studio to report on fields that may or may not be available in the provided packages.
Please provide some examples of areas where IBM Cognos Report Studio has room for improvement.
- There are some ineffeciencies when creating reports, such data grouping. You have to click and group each data column separately.
- The security features tend to slow processing times down significantly. However these features may only be an issue due to our SAS provider controlling them. May not be an issue if you own the Cognos software.
What positive or negative impact (i.e. Return on Investment or ROI) has IBM Cognos Report Studio had on your overall business objectives?
What are the 3-5 most important use cases for this product in your organization?
What are some unexpected or innovative ways that your organization has been able to use IBM Cognos Report Studio?
Evaluation and Selection
Did IBM Cognos Report Studio replace another product in your organization? What products did you replace and why did you want to replace them?
On a scale of 1-10, how satisfied were you with the implementation? Do you have any key insights regarding implementation of IBM Cognos Report Studio?
How did your organization implement IBM Cognos Report Studio? If you used a professional services company, what company performed the implementation?
Was the product easy to learn without training? Would you recommend this approach to others?
- If you have used any reporting software before (such as PeopleSoft or Crystal) it is not too difficult to figure your way around in Cognos. However if you are totally new to BI software, you should go for formal training. One-on-one is ideal, but classroom training is also very good.
I purchased IBM Cognos 8 Business Intelligence: The Official Guide: 1st Edition, which I used to get a lot of my information. We also utilize the internet when we are not quite sure about how to do something. YouTube has some good training videos, and also there are a couple of blog sites that are very helpful (www.cognoise.com and http://it.toolbox.com)
On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the overall support for IBM Cognos Report Studio? Why do you give it this rating?
Please rate customer support for IBM Cognos Report Studio for each of these factors .
If available, do you pay for premium support? Why or why not?