"IBM Cognos 8.4.1 - A user review"
Reviewed on August 27 2013
TrustRadius Review Summary
FInancial institution uses Cognos Report Studio to provide audit and standard reports for human resources related data for managers and payroll and also vendor data file exports. Report formatting and automatic report scheduling are excellent. Access to the software is provided via SaaS by HR vendor, so no direct access to IBM support.
Overall Satisfaction with IBM Cognos
Overall IBM Cognos Rating : 8 of 10
IBM Cognos Pros
- There are a variety of formats available for producing data (HTML, PDF, Excel (several versions), .csv, XML.
- They have a very good method of report scheduling and email delivery. You can set a report up on a schedule to be delivered, then forget about it. It takes care of itself.
- You can access SQL views and queries within Cognos Report Studio to report on fields that may or may not be available in the provided packages.
IBM Cognos Cons
- There are some ineffeciencies when creating reports, such data grouping. You have to click and group each data column separately.
- The security features tend to slow processing times down significantly. However these features may only be an issue due to our SAS provider controlling them. May not be an issue if you own the Cognos software.
ROI on IBM Cognos purchase
Using IBM Cognos
Key IBM Cognos Use Cases
Evaluating IBM Cognos and Competitors
Products Replaced by IBM Cognos
IBM Cognos Implementation
IBM Cognos Implementation Rating and Lessons : 7 of 10
IBM Cognos Implementation Details / Implementation Partner
IBM Cognos Training
Ease of IBM Cognos Training
- If you have used any reporting software before (such as PeopleSoft or Crystal) it is not too difficult to figure your way around in Cognos. However if you are totally new to BI software, you should go for formal training. One-on-one is ideal, but classroom training is also very good.
I purchased IBM Cognos 8 Business Intelligence: The Official Guide: 1st Edition, which I used to get a lot of my information. We also utilize the internet when we are not quite sure about how to do something. YouTube has some good training videos, and also there are a couple of blog sites that are very helpful (www.cognoise.com and http://it.toolbox.com)
IBM Cognos Support
Overall Support Rating for IBM Cognos : 0 of 10
IBM Cognos Premium Support
Questions and Comments About This Review
Have questions or comments for Toni? Did you have a similar or a different experience with IBM Cognos?