Likelihood to Recommend
2Checkout is great when you sell software licenses online or when you offer SaaS subscriptions. I don't think it can work in other scenarios.
It's great for an early stage startup who doesn't have the resources to build in all of the subscription management features they need. It has a great free tier that makes it very accessible to a young startup. It's also great for a growing startup but it may not be the best fit for a more mature startup with the resources and need to build something a bit more custom.
- 2Checkout handles credit cards that I would not be able to accept from my country.
- Fraud prevention works. They saved me a couple of times and I appreciate that.
- I always received my payments on time. I never had to complain.
- Simple interface that new employees are able to navigate fairly easily
- Provides simple dashboard information you need.
- Really love the dunning that makes it much easier for us to collect expired credit card info. Otherwise we'd be doing it manually and that would be a huge pain
- Local payments methods are an area for improvement. Not all are connected so far.
- Bulk updates for catalogs are missing at the moment, to be added in upcoming releases I hope.
- It wasn't allowing us to add a one time purchase without making it an ongoing subscription with only one payment. They may have fixed it very recently but that was a big pain from a reporting perspective (it was including one time purchasers as subscribers)
- Email automation is not very robust. Difficult to customize triggers by subscription, you have to send the same message to all subscribers for a specific action
- Wish it had a way to write off and cancel the subscription of customers who haven't updated their cc info. That can be a long painful and very manual process. And if that feature is available somewhere they don't do a good job of making that clear.
Honestly I didn't look into Recurly much, nor have I used them because it was a lot more expensive (for an early stage startup like ours was when we started using it). At least as far as I recall, they could have changed their pricing structure but they don't list their pricing on their website like Chargebee does. I had heard good things about chargebee and its worked great for our business.
Return on Investment
- Conversion rate has grown up since we started using Avangate Digital Commerce
- Refund rate has descreased also
- Chargebee has allowed us to focus on the most important part of our business: the product, instead of cumbersome development to manage subscriptions. The time ROI that it saved allowing us to get our product to market was invaluable.
- Chargebee also made sense financially. Paying the subscription was far cheaper than developing something similar (or even far inferior) ourselves
- Overall it's saved us quite a bit of time, money, and allows employees to easily manage subscriptions which is extremely important to us.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
2Checkout Editions & Modules
Additional Pricing DetailsGrowth Edition: 3.99% + $1 / per transaction fee Standard Edition: 4.9% + $2.50 / per transaction fee Enterprise Edition: Custom Tailored (Contact for Pricing)
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Chargebee Editions & Modules
Launch Plan (Free tier from Beta to Growth Stage - $50k aggregate revenue free)
2. per month