Likelihood to Recommend
Abacus has been great for our small startup of 37 employees, it has grown with our team since we were very small. Since we have not experienced it as a bigger company, I am not sure what the scalability would be like. If you're looking for a site with a cleaner look that is easy to use, Abacus is it. I haven't had to reach out to customer service yet because I haven't had any issues. If that isn't proof positive of how easy it is to use, I don't know what is!
I would not recommend using them to anyone. We contacted our reps and let them know the software was not working for us. We tried, but it left us doing more work than our prior manual process. After requesting our account to be terminated, we were given penalties to be paid for exiting our contract agreement early. We asked why we were being charged after our rep agreed to no penalties, and their answer was that they resolved all of our questions and concerns. So because they gave us information on how to get around their faulty system, we had to pay the penalties for ending the contract. Do not waste your time or money on this software!
- It is very easy for employees to upload their expense receipts to abacus.
- Abacus has an easy UI.
- We haven't had any issues with their customer service team not responding when asked.
- Our employees seem to like Certify app mainly because you don't have to save paper receipts anymore and can submit your expense report from anywhere.
- In theory credit card transaction import should help with company credit card reconciliation but as we learned there are issues with the process.
- Certify gives managers ability to approve expenses when they are not being physically present in the office.
Employee in Finance and AccountingFinancial Services Company, 11-50 employees
- When you upload a receipt to abacus it would be great to port in the information from the receipt to the text fields.
- It would be good to have a more automated way for Abacus to integrate in with other payroll systems.
- It would be nice to have more levels of permissions, e.g. manager level, administer level and employee level.
- We've experienced continual problems with our corporate card integration where transactions post to the wrong cardholder account. Customer support has always been willing to assist with teh correction but its frustrating that the manual correction is needed so frequently.
- Some customization requires manual intervention (we require a custom field for all expenses but have to contact support any time we add or change an expense account so that the required filed can be added manually).
- Certify does not integrate with our accounting software and the CSV export/import file does not bring in transaction level detail.
I used expensify in my last role, however it was at a bigger company so I was not involved in the process besides being a user. Abacus seems easier to use from a user perspective. It would be great to have a better integration with our payroll system, but it seems like with all softwares, you can't have it all
Originally we selected Certify because of favorable pricing and it met our basic needs. 5 years in we are again evaluating other products seeking direct integration with our accounting system, Intacct and potentially a solution that also offers time tracking.
Return on Investment
- It does seem like they are still working out some kinks in the web and mobile apps – a few times the app has crashed. But they're also very fast to push updates.
- The benefits are simple. No one likes taking time out of their day to do expense reporting. Abacus speeds that process up considerably. The interface is clean, and I'm able to see what expenses are pending vs. expenses that are already cleared.
- The benefit from a user standpoint is that it adds an element of organization to a process that is typically disorganized. It has saved us numerous hours.
- Certify was the first expense reporting product we used. It replaced Excel worksheets and paper receipts so overall the impact on the organization has been quite positive.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Abacus Editions & Modules
1. Per User per Month
Additional Pricing Details—
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Certify Editions & Modules