Likelihood to Recommend
Simple conversions from Acrobat PDF docs that have been created by Word, Excel, etc., probably do not need this program. But if you are ever faced with anything more than simple, straightforward conversions, this program is definitely worth it and will save hours of work. I have not found anything else that even comes close.
The functionality that PaperTrail gives you is very important, but there are so many other offerings in the space that it's hard to advocate for PaperTrail over other options. One of the large problems with it is it's a one-off offering, and we need to use it in tandem with other systems.
- Creates editable spreadsheets from Excel documents that have been scanned.
- Allows certain segments of documents to be selected for editing.
- Allows bulk conversion.
- UI Tools are Real Time: Pulling up a logging trace means having a view that will reload in near-real-time
- PaperTrail works with existing, open-source logging software; all we need to do is drop it into our projects and point the URLs to PaperTrail
- It's a little challenging to edit the row breaks.
- Sometimes selecting all the pages in a document is cumbersome. "Select all" with custom conversion does not always choose all pages.
- Interface is aging and in need of a re-write. It's functional, but not all that nice to work with
- While the logs are near-real-time, they could greatly improve the speed at which logs are available in the UI
- Pricing plans are not all that competitive with newer offerings with other companies
While there are a number of entries in the space, PaperTrail offers a great product. Their per/GB pricing is competitive with others. It's also very easy to get into projects and teams, and automating setup is very simple. It's also very easy to set up archiving to other long-term data storage solutions, like S3.
Return on Investment
- I save hours of work when dealing with client information. It takes only a few documents for me to recover the cost of this software in time saved.
- PaperTrail saves developers ($$$) a lot of time trying to track down where errors occured; rather than needing to SSH into machines and view error logs, all error logs for certain applications are available in one view
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?