Based on 298 reviews and ratings
Based on 489 reviews and ratings
ActiveCampaign and SharpSpring are centralized sales and marketing platforms that offer email marketing, marketing automation, and CRM capabilities. Both products are preferred by small businesses on TrustRadius, though SharpSpring has a solution specifically designed for marketing agencies.
As marketing automation platforms with built-in CRMs, both products share core email marketing and automation capabilities. These include email & online marketing, dynamic content creation, lead management and scoring, marketing attribution, campaign management, and reporting & analytics. However, each has a few unique features as well.
For example, SharpSpring offers a landing page and blog builder while ActiveCampaign does not. SharpSpring also includes a content calendar, social publishing features, and social listening tools while ActiveCampaign only integrates with social media management and listening tools.
ActiveCampaign also offers and SMS and email campaign testing features while SharpSpring does not include these capabilities.
The main limitation of ActiveCampaign is that not all features are included for all plans. For example, its built-in CRM, attribution, subscription by SMS, and contact & lead scoring capabilities are not available on ActiveCampaign’s Lite plan—the lowest-priced tier. In contrast, all of SharpSpring’s plans include the full set of features.
When compared with ActiveCampaign, SharpSpring’s biggest limitation is its pricing. ActiveCampaign has prices that start as low as $9 per user per month for 500 contacts. While SharpSpring’s prices start at $550 per month for 1,500 contacts, though it has unlimited users.
Both products have monthly, subscription-based pricing that varies depending on your organization’s contact list size. However, SharpSpring has unlimited users and includes the full list of features for all plans. In contrast, ActiveCampaign charges per user and does not offer all features on its lower-tier plans.
ActiveCampaign pricing ranges from $9 to $459 per month, depending on the contact list size and number of users. SharSpring’s prices range from $550 to $1,250 per month, also based on the contact list size.
Which Is Right For You?
ActiveCampaign is a great choice for startups or micro-businesses that have a small number of contacts and a tight budget. It’s also ideal for small marketing teams at SMBs, as it charges per user as well as by contact list size.
SharpSpring is ideal for marketing agencies looking for a marketing automation solution tailored to their needs. If your marketing team needs access to a wide range of marketing automation and CRM features, even on a lower-tier plan, SharpSpring is a good choice.
Provided by the TrustRadius Research Team
Published on July 8, 2020
Likelihood to Recommend
Feature Rating Comparison
WYSIWYG email editor
Ability to test dynamic content
Email deliverability reporting
Triggered drip sequences
Lead scoring and grading
Data quality management
Automated sales alerts and tasks
Social sharing and campaigns
Social profile integration
Role-based workflow & approvals
Integration with Salesforce.com
Integration with Microsoft Dynamics CRM
Integration with SugarCRM
- Email automation - Automated email marketing to potential customers, follow up with existing customers, and automated messaging to outside parties.
- Flow building - This software allows companies to build simple or complicated sequences in a visual builder so that you can see exactly where people are in the sequence of messages.
- CRM - Customer relationship data. Maintaining data points across a user journey (tagging a UTM source, current activity. If you have someone - and want to know where they are in the journey, there's a way to find that data and label a profile with that).
- Integrations - ActiveCampaign integrates with almost everything. Seamlessly. You can trigger behaviors in other apps through Zapier, or import data from other software you use. It's a very easy experience to integrate with others.
- Customer support - Every team member I've encountered has been exceptionally helpful. They are probably the bar for customer support in the tech industry, to be honest.
- Email systems for the long-haul (and for sequences and emails that are expected to bring in a lot of $$$). Email marketing should be 30-50% of revenue for most businesses. It's THE platform that we recommend for coaches and other businesses to help them earn 6 & 7 figures from email. You can track A LOT of data through this software as a platform, which makes it a great candidate for businesses who want to grow and visualize where their customers are in the overall purchase process, as well as maintaining them as multiple purchases customers.
- The social media content calendar makes planning and execution so much easier and less time-consuming.
- Being able to easily curate content specifically for specific personas has been a game-changer.
- I love visual workflows. Being able to see everything laid out in one place is super convenient and enables you to really wrap your head around what you're trying to build.
- ActiveCampaign is so powerful and so versatile that it can sometimes be a challenge to use. There are certainly plenty of online resources available to help you get up to speed, but there are times when the process can seem a little overwhelming. I got a lot of help by attending a "Study Hall" in-person classroom session that was sponsored by the company. Chris Davis was the instructor; he did an amazing job of clarifying priorities and procedures for getting the most out of ActiveCampaign. After going to that session my productivity with ActiveCampaign increased enormously, but in retrospect, I felt like I should have been able to get that kind of expert guidance with the software much earlier, instead of using ActiveCampaign at far less than its maximum capability for several years before feeling like I was really getting my feet on the ground.
- There doesn't seem to be a way to create or accommodate multiple email addresses for a single contact in the system. When people get into the system with multiple email addresses, they show up as multiple contacts. This can create problems with proper list segmentation; it should be easy enough to resolve this problem, but it's a nagging headache whenever it pops up.
- Onboarding can be overwhelming if you try to onboard without using materials and coaching provided. (Yes, that's me.) This is a robust platform and there is a lot of information to take in and get acquainted with to get the full effectiveness of the platform. You're going to be eager to start but take your time.
- Patience required. There is a tendency to rush in to get started right away having seen the promise. SharpSpring provides high quality onboarding coaches for 60 days so nothing is missed.
Likelihood to Renew
Reliability and Availability
- Chatbox in the lower corner. This is tech support, and they can answer a slew of different questions on demand (during service hours).
- 1:1 support calls - 30 minutes of 1:1 call with a team member to address your needs
- Rep - You can have calls and emails into your rep.
Return on Investment
- The fortune is in the follow through, and ActiveCampaign makes the follow through easier. Drip campaigns and triggers strengthen granular follow up opportunities.
- The granular messaging options coupled with attractive pricing have made this our go to service for businesses who need more automation features, but are just getting started in the space.
- The SharpSpring ROI is noticed almost immediately due to their pricing structure being so low and the amount of tools offered so high.
- It is also easy to monitor your ROI by tracking campaigns and seeing real time data to back up the efforts you are putting in
- Being able to have transparency in a company is great and SharpSpring allows you to display charts, graphs and workflows to show exactly how well your marketing department is doing.