Based on 703 reviews and ratings
Based on 622 reviews and ratings
ActiveCampaign and SharpSpring are centralized sales and marketing platforms that offer email marketing, marketing automation, and CRM capabilities. Both products are preferred by small businesses on TrustRadius, though SharpSpring has a solution specifically designed for marketing agencies.
As marketing automation platforms with built-in CRMs, both products share core email marketing and automation capabilities. These include email & online marketing, dynamic content creation, lead management and scoring, marketing attribution, campaign management, and reporting & analytics. However, each has a few unique features as well.
For example, SharpSpring offers a landing page and blog builder while ActiveCampaign does not. SharpSpring also includes a content calendar, social publishing features, and social listening tools while ActiveCampaign only integrates with social media management and listening tools.
ActiveCampaign also offers and SMS and email campaign testing features while SharpSpring does not include these capabilities.
The main limitation of ActiveCampaign is that not all features are included for all plans. For example, its built-in CRM, attribution, subscription by SMS, and contact & lead scoring capabilities are not available on ActiveCampaign’s Lite plan—the lowest-priced tier. In contrast, all of SharpSpring’s plans include the full set of features.
When compared with ActiveCampaign, SharpSpring’s biggest limitation is its pricing. ActiveCampaign has prices that start as low as $9 per user per month for 500 contacts. While SharpSpring’s prices start at $550 per month for 1,500 contacts, though it has unlimited users.
Both products have monthly, subscription-based pricing that varies depending on your organization’s contact list size. However, SharpSpring has unlimited users and includes the full list of features for all plans. In contrast, ActiveCampaign charges per user and does not offer all features on its lower-tier plans.
ActiveCampaign pricing ranges from $9 to $459 per month, depending on the contact list size and number of users. SharSpring’s prices range from $550 to $1,250 per month, also based on the contact list size.
Which Is Right For You?
ActiveCampaign is a great choice for startups or micro-businesses that have a small number of contacts and a tight budget. It’s also ideal for small marketing teams at SMBs, as it charges per user as well as by contact list size.
SharpSpring is ideal for marketing agencies looking for a marketing automation solution tailored to their needs. If your marketing team needs access to a wide range of marketing automation and CRM features, even on a lower-tier plan, SharpSpring is a good choice.
Provided by the TrustRadius Research Team
Published on July 8, 2020
Likelihood to Recommend
Feature Rating Comparison
WYSIWYG email editor
Ability to test dynamic content
Email deliverability reporting
Triggered drip sequences
Lead scoring and grading
Data quality management
Automated sales alerts and tasks
Social sharing and campaigns
Social profile integration
Role-based workflow & approvals
Integration with Salesforce.com
Integration with Microsoft Dynamics CRM
Integration with SugarCRM
- ActiveCampaign has high delivery rates.
- ActiveCampaign allows for high levels of customization for content, as well as contact information.
- ActiveCampaign uses contacts activity and preferences to deliver the right information at the most appropriate time.
- ActiveCampaign is up to date with the latest needs of its clients. SMS, landing pages, as well as design options are all available.
- Crm, with custom fields that can be customized per organization
- Sales pipelines, which lets you track an opportunity along the sales process. Can implement automation with tasks creation, emails to prospect and notifications
- Email marketing with easy to use email builder. Campaigns can be sent out manually or automatically. Can also be used for templated emails to send to contacts.
- The email builder is annoying. Very slow at work and it constantly resets the cursor, font type and list continuation. It's one of the most frustrating things about it.
- I am surprised there isn't an automatic "send to people who haven't opened the last x campaigns" trigger. Other competitors have this feature. Instead, I'm forced to use 2 automations that play the role of tagging after a certain amount of days have passed.
- While it's a market practice, I think the cost can go up exponentially the more members one has. Maybe I don't understand the process enough but places like Sendgrid, MailerLite offer decent automations and 1,000 subscribers free. I know sendgrid charges per email sent but still I find the cost to pay for a list size odd.
- The overall refresh rate of the platform seems to use a lot of CPU power because it lags every time I switch functions or create new steps. I can hear my fans go to high every time I start doing something. I know my CPU is old but I use other demanding software and I don't have that problem. I think the refresh rate and speed of the platform can be improved.
- Custom Form Field - Weakest point of the software for me. Hard to make custom field and options are limited
- Nuanced Automations are Hard - Lacking some more advanced automation capacities and options
- Hard Bounces / Suppressions - Very aggressive suppression engine means that active subscribers are "bounced" then removed from email lists suddenly without much recourse
Likelihood to Renew
- Broad capabilities - ability to create individual emails to specific segments (the right people) at the right time (predictive sending for the greatest likelihood of conversion) and automated flows so that our clients are generating revenue
- Integrations - We run ads for our clients, and ActiveCampaign automatically creates dynamic audiences for our social media platforms so that our ads are going to audiences that have just opened or clicked emails (or that follows up with people who haven't engaged). The number of programs that ActiveCampaign connects to makes the marketing a seamless experience for our clients.
- Visualization of data - With the flow builder, you can see where people are in the process, what tags are being applied overall - makes it so much easier to create email marketing solutions for clients.
- Reporting - The ability to see specific open, click, and conversion rates in one place.
- Outstanding customer support - Having the ActiveCampaign team behind you makes it easy to recommend and use it for clients.
Reliability and Availability
Return on Investment
- I went from 0-50 new emails on my list in a matter of weeks, due to the simplicity and functionality of the landing pages/forms.
- Because of the great email tracking features, I was able to observe and shift my emails so that I went from a 15% open rate to a 50% open rate.
- It's had a positive impact on ROI in that it's provided management with visibility into forecasting, making the budgeting process clearer.
- When new representatives join the company it's easy to get [them] up and running in SharpSpring, minimizing time spent on training.
- SharpSpring helps our team of reps clearly see the current list of opportunities, and create tasks to make sure we don't miss any follow-ups
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
ActiveCampaign Editions & Modules
- Per Month [3 Users]
- Per Month [25 Users]
- Per Month [50 Users]
- Per Month [Unlimited Users]
Additional Pricing Details—
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
SharpSpring Editions & Modules
- per month