<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring#question3' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>
<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>trScore algorithm: Learn more.</a>Score 8 out of 101
Based on 336 reviews and ratings
Likelihood to Recommend
I think AlienVault USM is well suited for a medium size company where there are remote sites. The star configuration deployment would work very well. I would need to see how AlienVault would perform on a large multi-national company if headquarters wanted to correlate all data.
Great for personal use and remote installation update so no need for tech support to have the latest functionality. States that is has strong machine learning but I haven't found that when using I had to reauthorize items more than once (e.g. safe sites). Shares the items blocks or attacks made to improve your awareness on attacks. It is not free and there are comparable free tools out there in my opinion.
Feature Rating Comparison
Centralized event and log data collection
Event and log normalization
Custom dashboards and views
Host and network-based intrusion detection
- The SIEM does a good job of correlating network data from multiple sources along with the Data from deployed HIDS
- The Nmap scan is fast and non-invasive that defines devices on your network.
- The vulnerability scanning has several options and reports to enable data to be available for compliance purposes.
- Updates regularly to ensure you are protected
- Flags any malware or unexpected downloads etc
- Protects personal information
- I would like to see an interface that is more menu driven. For example a method that allows me to drag and drop the items I would like in an adhoc report based on local machines that are attempting to connect to sites beyond our network that are blocked by our firewall.
- I would like to see a more robust connection to our SonicWall, having two devices in the same rack that must be configured independently is some times a pain to fine tune.
- I would like to see additional help files built that allow users to work with the Alienvault without attending formal training.
- Slows down computer
- Doesn't learn which items are safe so you have to "ok" similar items more than once
- Sometimes stops working and you have to refresh or reboot
Likelihood to Renew
Based on 33 answers
After using it for some time I have found the interface to be somewhat "clunky." Some of the system management requirements have to be done from the CLI (Command Line Interface). There is no way to easily automate some of the system maintenance, that if not addressed, causes the system to become unusable after a period of time
Based on 24 answers
I have not had a single issue with the alienvault support staff. Any issue or question that we had, especially in the beginning during the installation phase the support staff was readily available via phone and email to help us. I am very happy with the decision we made to go with alienvault.
Based on 1 answer
We've had no problems with support. Our experience might be unique because I have seen a few complaints. Generally, our support has been speedy, friendly, and taken to a point of satisfactory resolution. I have absolutely no complaints about support. The initial connections are made via email but their staff will call and talk if required. So far, we've resolved every issue within a very short time (~2 hours or less) and no need for a call.
Based on 37 answers
The one thing to remember is where to place the sensors within your organization. It is one thing to collect and analyze data, but collecting the right data is key. This is where AlienVaults experts really help. Instead of trying to sell you a gazillion sensors, they walk you through your network to make sure he sensors are where they need to be so you can achieve your goal. Implementation works so well because they take the time upfront to know your goals before they help you achieve them.
We looked at a number of other products besides AlienVault. Most of them were software packages that had OK reviews, but would have been costly to implement and time-consuming to maintain. AlienVault was an all-in-one appliance, though it comes in a virtual machine that you can run as well. We chose the USM because of our virtualization resources were getting pretty tight at the time we chose AlienVault, and we prefer hardware appliances.
AVG is still my favorite anti virus product. I find all others tend to slow down the computer ESPECIALLY McAfee (just deleted the product from my daughter's personal computer). Bitdefender worked well except the popups or asks to ok were a bit annoying. Overall I think bitdefender is a reasonable product.
Return on Investment
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Additional Pricing Details—
AlienVault USM More Information
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?