AlienVault USM<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring#question3' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>
<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>trScore algorithm: Learn more.</a>Score 7.9 out of 101
Based on 329 reviews and ratings
Likelihood to Recommend
AlienVault USM Anywhere is a great SIEM and if you need to deploy a SaaS solution then it is suited very well. It works very well for us being 100% AWS and integrates well with our toolset and AWS features. The Open Threat Intelligence (OTX) is perfect for providing context on events and feeding our incident response processes.
Well suited for: device management (low level.) AV and Malware protection. Developing specific av packages for different systems. In general I am very happy with this product.
Feature Rating Comparison
Centralized event and log data collection
Event and log normalization
Custom dashboards and views
Host and network-based intrusion detection
- Quickly reports unauthorized access attempts of our network.
- Provides insight to the possible internal breaches sending data out of our network.
- provides strong reporting on network resources.
- Bitdefender GravityZone is easy to deploy and manage. We spend less system administration time.
- Bitdefender GravityZone does an excellent job of reporting issues and helps isolate systems that are affected.
Director in Information TechnologyNon-Profit Organization Management Company, 11-50 employees
- Even though the AlienVault documentation is good, I would like to see documentation on security strategy. This product is focused on smaller companies that may not have a security admin so simple general practice strategy would be helpful.
- This may be repetitive, but documentation on what to do or how to interpret alarms would be helpful. For example, what are the varying degrees of response to a nmap port scan.
- You cannot run multiple licenses for any given client type. An example would be if I purchase a group of clients and need to add more licensing my only option is to prorate into the existing, I cannot run a separate license file with a separate expirations date. This can pose an issue if trying to divide licensing for budgetary purposes or simple expansion.
- While the deployment process was smooth overall for us UAC does need to be tweaked for it to be successful. This really shouldn't be necessary.
- During the sales process it was stressed that Bitdefender would automatically remove our existing AV product making deployment extremely simple, this however turned out to not be the case and our existing AV had to be removed by other means.
Likelihood to Renew
Based on 13 answers
The centralized logging and retention for PCI compliance was our main driver, and it is meeting that need. Otherwise there has been enough frustration with the lack of documentation and the need to customize through the CLI that I would be open to alternatives.
Based on 24 answers
I have not had a single issue with the alienvault support staff. Any issue or question that we had, especially in the beginning during the installation phase the support staff was readily available via phone and email to help us. I am very happy with the decision we made to go with alienvault.
Based on 1 answer
We've had no problems with support. Our experience might be unique because I have seen a few complaints. Generally, our support has been speedy, friendly, and taken to a point of satisfactory resolution. I have absolutely no complaints about support. The initial connections are made via email but their staff will call and talk if required. So far, we've resolved every issue within a very short time (~2 hours or less) and no need for a call.
Based on 37 answers
The one thing to remember is where to place the sensors within your organization. It is one thing to collect and analyze data, but collecting the right data is key. This is where AlienVaults experts really help. Instead of trying to sell you a gazillion sensors, they walk you through your network to make sure he sensors are where they need to be so you can achieve your goal. Implementation works so well because they take the time upfront to know your goals before they help you achieve them.
We have used some other Intrusion Detection Systems, and made other attempt at log file aggregation and event management, but AlienVault brings these tools and more together under one appliance.
We have looked at Kaspersky several times but have always decided the client to heavy and management was cumbersome at best. We used Avast Business Antivirus for about 5 years primarily because it was free for education and we had ESET before that. Overall Bitdefender is easier to manage in all cases and I feel thus far it has provided a better detection rate. BD also includes extended features such as firewall and application control that were not present in our other AV solutions.
Return on Investment
- Being in education our previous AV solution was provided free of charge until this year so the ROI factor for us is a negative in terms of money. I will have to say that Bitdefender was really good a working with us to achieve a reasonable price point and actually came in cheaper than some of the lesser alternatives out there.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Additional Pricing Details—
AlienVault USM More Information
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?