Likelihood to Recommend
It's great for engineers who know what they're doing, but you don't want to bug an engineer every time you want to update an image asset. The process of uploads and invalidations can be too complex for non-technical staff, which can bottleneck content delivery and updates.
Pantheon is well-suited for creating development sites quickly and avoiding all of the hours and pain involved with spinning up a new site for development in the "old" localhost way. For one project I'm involved with, a developer who was used to the localhost tooling was amazed at how quickly he could begin writing and testing WordPress code with Pantheon and could hardly believe he had never heard of it!
- If price is the main concern, CloudFront is not the cheapest-in-class by a wide margin
- Some of the settings are not obvious to new users, and the management dashboards could use work
- Lacks fine-grained access controls and statistical reports for usage
- Sometimes the use of WP-CLI and Terminus (command line tool, not the marketing software by the same name) is necessary to complete a task when there ought to be a way to do that task via the UI
- Sometimes Dev and Test URLs can leak into Production sites (and vice versa), requiring database UPDATE queries to correct. I'm told this is being worked on.
We ended up selecting CloudFront because we were already using an Amazon stack. To be honest, since we were already in the ecosystem there was little reason to deviate once we saw pricing was comparable.
Other than Pantheon I am aware of Aquia. Aquia from the outside appears to have a higher learning curve. Other than that, I am not aware of the pros and cons comparing them.
Return on Investment
- Running a CDN in front of static (or semi-static) web resources dramatically reduced server-load at a much lower cost. This meant much better scalability when it was introduced.
- Rapid deployment of feature and security updates from upstreams takes less time than installing by hand.
- Automation and integration through Terminus CLI is extremely useful.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Amazon CloudFront Editions & Modules
Additional Pricing Details—
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Pantheon Editions & Modules
Performance - Small
Performance - Medium
Performance - Large
Performance - Extra Large
1. per month
2. Contract Only
3. per month