Likelihood to Recommend
If you've already got plenty of AWS services, CloudFront is an obvious choice. It integrates seamlessly with other AWS infrastructure, and can be managed via CloudFormation as part of your wider Infrastructure as Code. Whilst it is slightly more complex than some of the competition to set up, it does have a large number of options and is very configurable.If you want to do just the very basic CDN at the minimum of cost on a small website (e.g. personal blog), its perhaps not the best choice. However, I personally made the decision to use CloudFront anyway, even though it was a little more than the competition, purely for the convenience factor as I was using Route 53 anyway and it gives me plenty of future options should I wish to make it more complex later on.
This is a good solution for a small development team who is supporting a site with many users. Many times, a shared hosting service is appropriate for a small business brochure site that gets a few hundred visitors per month, but if your site services user accounts that return or rely on information, this is a good option to rollout new changes and preserve existing data
- Solid CDN services, does what it says on the tin
- Lots of configuration options, which allow for different setups and pricing strategies
- Lambda@Edge integration allows for really quite complex behaviours to be executed in the cloud at the edge node itself. This means there are a huge amount of possibilities for shaping and altering traffic close to the viewer.
- Simple integration to other AWS services (e.g. S3)
- It isn't the cheapest option out there, nor is it the most simple to set up. The likes of Cloudflare may be a better choice for small / simple sites, especially if there isn't any need for other AWS services.
- Sometimes the use of WP-CLI and Terminus (command line tool, not the marketing software by the same name) is necessary to complete a task when there ought to be a way to do that task via the UI
- Sometimes Dev and Test URLs can leak into Production sites (and vice versa), requiring database UPDATE queries to correct. I'm told this is being worked on.
Amazon CloudFront free Tier allows up to 50 GB of data transfer per month which is not there in any of the above. Amazon CloudFront provides detailed reporting around the most frequently used objects, monitoring and usage charts. Amazon CloudFront is suitable to help you deliver both static and dynamic content, including streaming. CloudFlare is not an actual CDN, but more of a reverse proxy that takes over all of your traffic and then serves cached versions of your content whenever possible and from a nearby location.Amazon CloudFront provides advanced security features and geo restriction. CloudFront is using Super PoP approach, which means much fewer (edge) locations, compared to the thousands that Akamai has around the world. This is why CloudFront costs less than Akamai.
When you compare the cost of the product to the value it provides and time to launch - Pantheon wins the race. While Acquia is nice, it is generally a much more expensive hosting environment with not as many built-in features. OpenShift and Amazon Web Services are great if you need very custom builds, but you will need to set them up and maintain them yourself.
Return on Investment
- Amazon CloudFront improves sales of business by providing high speed data transfer from nearest edge locations
- Amazon CloudFront Supports dynamic content, not just static media.
- Amazon CloudFront provides cache statistics reports, popular objects report, monitoring and alarming, usage charts, and more.
- Rapid deployment of feature and security updates from upstreams takes less time than installing by hand.
- Automation and integration through Terminus CLI is extremely useful.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Amazon CloudFront Editions & Modules
Additional Pricing Details—
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Pantheon Editions & Modules
Performance - Small
Performance - Medium
Performance - Large
Performance - Extra Large
1. per month
2. Contract Only
3. per month