Likelihood to Recommend
Aras PLM works for our company, yet I don't have experience with any other software system. The system does not refresh and update quickly. Often times users need to force a refresh or logout and logon to verify changes and updates. The Lock and Unlock feature needs getting used to.
SAP PLM is well suited for any industry that needs to track the creation of a product from the raw material stage all the way to the shipped product. I do not think it would be well suited for very small companies which do not have any materials, products, and inventory to track.
- Aras PLM definitely controls documents and provides the approval levels needed to be compliant.
- Aras PLM makes organizing and structuring libraries logical and intuitive.
- The search tools in Aras PLM provides quick and efficient access to documents
- It allows us to strategically control operations by product monitoring and production changes.
- Gives you the ability to source upcoming products because you have a complete and total view of all resources at all times.
- It allows us to control batch management in the production process, this is a key element in our industry.
- Aras PLM uses terms and labels that can be confusing like Subsystem / Subsystem Version, Project Record Number (PRN). Companies need to understand these terms and develop business processes to set user standards.
- I personally use Aras PLM to manage information technology project documents. In my opinion, Aras PLM is more geared to product and engineering. I would like to see a general project management Aras PLM version with terms and labels that I am familiar with.
- The description field should be made required. Many of our engineers have created records and left that blank because it was not required. This would help with the context or background of each record.
- The interface is that of your typical SAP program, it's not very user friendly to a person who doesn't use it every single day.
- Some simple Windows commands do not work in SAP PLM, such as a copy and paste.
- Right click menus generally produce unconventional results if the user is more familiar with Windows right click menus.
Likelihood to Renew
Based on 1 answer
No answers yet
SAP PLM encompasses SAP BW and SAP PRD. We tend to focus more on the SAP PRD portion as it directly involves more closely to production. We selected SAP PLM because it gives us a great visibility in the life cycle of materials, products and overall costs. SAP PLM compliments the other packages very well
Return on Investment
- Aras PLM has kept our company compliant and on the right side of audits with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Aras PLM keeps our project document history readily available and works well without stage gate review and approval processes.
- Accurately able to order raw materials which are necessary for the current production run, thus reducing overhead.
- The negative impact would be the initial cost of the software and how long it would take to ROI that cost.
- It has allowed us to control batches of product creation much more closer and have the ability to cut some erroneous costs which were found in large batches.