Likelihood to Recommend
We create the resource stack with AWS CloudFormation. We can manage all the resources as a bundle. We can update the entire stack by updating the AWS CloudFormation template. It is very easy to delete the entire resource with AWS CloudFormation. If we do those resource creations and manage them manually, then we need to do lots of manual involvements. When we use AWS CloudFormation, we can reduce time to create and manage resources.
Puppet is good enough to get the job done, you can use it to automate deployments and maintain files and configurations, if this is all you're looking for it's great.If you're looking for more control over your systems as a whole without having to write your own scripts or install multiple configuration management systems then Puppet is not what you're looking for.
- Infrastructure Provisioning
- Stack Visibility
- Auto Rollback
- Console for History and Tracking
- Better Integration with AWS Services
- Provides a clear map of how a system is configured
- Eases the creation of a system in a specific cluster as it is scripted in code
- Simplifies configuration changes to a cluster or to every system such as rolling out vhost configurations, updating ldap roles, NFS mounts, etc
- The syntax is very easy to read and carries a lot of fluidity once the language is learned.
- Better examples
- There are oddities with the yaml aspects of it, that make it a bit cumbersome
- A template for use cases that are easily fillable - or just some place to start.
Employee in Information TechnologyInformation Technology & Services Company, 1001-5000 employees
- A bit of a steep learning curve but something that can be easily understood once a few basics are grasped and use of Puppet is put into practice.
- Does not fit well with existing infrastructure but that is not necessarily a failing with Puppet but can require a radical shift in thinking and procedures to reliably implement.
AWS CloudFormation has more features and robustness. It is suited for professional projects since it provides stability and a wide variety of options for configurations. These include not only dividing stacks by specific code changes, but also in regions. This allows more granularity and control over all stacks. If you want to delete them all just by a region, you can do it.
HPSA is a licensed product and incurs significant upfront investment costs due to COTS licensing. Puppet Data Center Automation has a significantly lower upfront investment and product documentation is more readily available. Chef is a very similar offering, however, at the time our decision was considered, the adoption of Chef vs. Puppet was significantly less in the community.
Return on Investment
- Reduced AWS resource creation time
- Reduced existing AWS resource management time
- Reduced manual involvements on AWS resource creation
- Better AWS CloudFormation improve the log mechanism
- Cut deployment times down to around 1 hour from 4-5 hours.
- Allows us to get a fully running system up from scratch in around 30 minutes.
- Allows for a more clear view of what is required to get a host running.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
AWS CloudFormation Editions & Modules
|Free Tier - 1,000 Handler Operations per Month per Account||$0.00|
- per handler operation
Additional Pricing DetailsThere is no additional charge for using AWS CloudFormation with resource providers in the following namespaces: AWS::*, Alexa::*, and Custom::*. In this case you pay for AWS resources (such as Amazon EC2 instances, Elastic Load Balancing load balancers, etc.) created using AWS CloudFormation as if you created them manually. You only pay for what you use, as you use it; there are no minimum fees and no required upfront commitments. When you use resource providers with AWS CloudFormation outside the namespaces mentioned above, you incur charges per handler operation. Handler operations are create, update, delete, read, or list actions on a resource.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Puppet Enterprise Editions & Modules