Likelihood to Recommend
Lucidchart is particularly well suited for situations when you want to visualize data quickly. If your information is already well-organized, it is quicker and easier to use Lucidchart than to create infographics in a graphic design program that’s not tailored for easy chart-making. I don’t recommend using Lucidchart in situations where you want to display information graphics that are flashy, sleek, and modern.
Professional in Research & DevelopmentEducation Management Company, 51-200 employees
I believe SmartDraw is a great tool for small- to mid-sized organizations for simplifying the production and management of org charts. We've also had the PMO experiment with the use of some of their flow charts as well.If an organization has an HCM with the capability of producing (good!) org charts, that is likely the best option... but many that I have used in my 30-year HR career don't. So there is definitely a need for SmartDraw in the market!
- Allows individuals to further realize engineering issues and collaborate, globally in real time, in order to resolve the issues.
- Allows individuals and teams to define a workflow or process to use for a platform or action. For instance, before selecting an HRIS platform, we used Lucidchart to map out all HRIS processes which made selecting a platform ridiculously simple.
- Lucidchart also allows anyone to easily publish their output so that users, both internally and externally, can view their ideas without needing a license, login or any complicated understanding.
- The mobile aspects of Lucidchart are also fantastic as an individual can create a concept or design and present it to individuals right from their pocket.
- Ability to quickly and efficiently create flowcharts and org charts that are pleasing to the eye.
- Cloud document storage always a plus. Can access work in progress anywhere.
- Ability to export in multiple formats to fit your needs.
Manager in Human ResourcesWholesale Company, 11-50 employees
- The process for browsing and managing uploaded user images seems a little off. For example, I frequently will use screen captures as graphical elements of a document. While LucidChart fully supports doing so, it might be helpful to have a more powerful interface when reviewing/browsing/selecting files that are serving duty as custom images.
- I create fairly involved sitemaps and love the sitemaps tools which let you type your hierarchy into the diagram in a popup and see that hierarchy anytime you click on a shape. However, the popup is small, and when I click on a shape in my wireframe, the popup doesn't jump to and highlight the item I've selected in the hierarchy. This makes it challenging to find the item I'm trying to work with in the popup hierarchy.
- The cost is a big deal, initially, Lucidchart was freemium and was free for us to use the team license which we made available to our users at the university. Without warning, they changed their license structure and began charging for this. Now if our users want to have the same functionality they have to purchase a license or request for an education discount which is a tedious process. The price is a little on the high side, especially if you want to add more members to your Lucidcart team.
- Sometimes it takes time to load the documents, and depending on the complexity of the document that is being developed, it hangs up (you must have a good internet connection) if you do not have a connection, you can not use this software.
- Sometimes it can be frustrating to format shapes and resize them at times. While the software is fairly user friendly I have definitely gotten frustrated at times trying to resize images and have had issues when I was trying to connect certain processes to another and the program picks the wrong shape to connect to. I also wish it was a bit easier to print out these charts, but I don't think it's very fair to blame the software on that since everyone's charts are going to vary by width/size so it's up to the user to format it for printing.
Manager in Information TechnologyHigher Education Company, 1001-5000 employees
- SmartDraw can still be a bit slow at times. While the ability to create complex charts and and figures that have multiple connecting (and intersecting) lines has improved, there are still some instances where SmartDraw can improve in (i.e.- sometimes I'm forced to freeze lines that I don't want a newly created line to automatically connect to).
- Restructuring the ribbon to be more user friendly and intuitive could also go a long way. I am not sure why text alignment is all the way to the right of the ribbon on the user interface. It is nearly non-existent when I minimize my window. To me, the functionality in the Design ribbon does not make sense (only because I use PowerPoint and Word on a daily basis). Design is more content creation and editing, sort of like the functionality in the Home ribbon.
- Creating additional right mouse click shortcut options would also save lots of time. I don't want to have to go to the ribbon every time I need to group or ungroup different sets.
- Printing and properly adjusting printing is a nightmare. It is not intuitive, manually adjusting only complicates things, and there aren't enough options that allow for properly adjusting your window for printing. Printing functionality is too complex and a real deterrent when attempting to share content with clients.
Analyst in Professional ServicesManagement Consulting Company, 11-50 employees
Based on 3 answers
The software is incredibly easy to use and can be used on both a personal and business scale. It really can help you map out processes in a business or help you begin to formulate ideas for personal or educational use. Having the free version is great since you can test out some limited functionality before committing to purchasing the full version.
Analyst in Finance and AccountingFinancial Services Company, 10,001+ employees
No answers yet
No answers on this topic
Based on 21 answers
The team is always available to answer questions on Instagram or through their live chat, and we get calls from them about once a year asking if we're happy with stuff or want to upgrade our service. Overall, they have been really professional, and I can see that they really enjoy developing their software and helping companies with diagram creation services.
Based on 4 answers
They are always very helpful, we get computers every two years and I have to call them to move the license from one computer to another and they do it with a smile in their voice!
Lucidchart is designed to do one thing in my opinion, design charts of connected shapes. Other apps can do the same but are often tied to a desktop app and bloated with other illustration features I do not need. I like that is Lucidchart is limited in features to those specific to the needs of this task and allows for easy sharing of my documents with others.
Indigo Studio and Visio were other products used in my department.We chose SmartDraw over Visio on both features and cost.
Return on Investment
- We run Lucidchart for a fraction of what it would cost to deploy Visio, allowing us to open up its tools to more employees.
- The low learning curve means less time spent teaching and more time spent recording data.
- Its various functions have made it a mainstay in multiple departments outside of IT.
Engineer in Information TechnologyHospitality Company, 501-1000 employees
- Positive impact - easier to create professional looking drawing and send back and forth to superintendent for editing.
- Easier to e-mail copies or drawing changes to our customers.
Manager in CorporateConstruction Company, 11-50 employees
LucidchartSee All (4) Lucidchart Screenshots
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Lucidchart Editions & Modules
- per month
Additional Pricing DetailsThe Team Pricing increases depending on the number of users on the account.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
SmartDraw Editions & Modules