Likelihood to Recommend
Segment is a great choice for early-stage companies that are looking to experiment with different analytics software, and can afford scaling up Segment to $500-2k+ per month in costs. For companies/websites that require very simple analytics, like tracking conversion rates, a cheaper, less comprehensive piece of analytics software would likely be a bit more suitable.
- Multi-platform. Segment has easy integrations in many different web, backend, and app platforms/frameworks. We use the Segment SDK in Android and iOS as well as our node.js backend.
- Segment is fairly affordable for early-stage companies that are trying out different analytics software. The "developer" plan is free and is suitable for most companies with products that have a small user base.
- The UI is great! It is extremely intuitive and easy-to-learn, and this made it take very little time to integrate this software into our analytics and marketing workflows.
- For companies that have more than 10,000 monthly tracked users, Segment gets somewhat expensive, and may be unaffordable for some companies that have exceptional MTU stats.
- There is a small learning curve, and the amount of settings and things you can change can be slightly overwhelming in the early stages.
- Some pages can be overwhelming with too much data and things to look at.
Segment is not really suitable for most websites that have more than 10k MTU - If you run a semi-popular website, there are many tools out there that will do basic web analytics, like Google Analytics. Google Analytics provides simple resources for tracking user growth, demographics, and conversion rates of websites, which is more suitable for companies that are looking for simpler analytics data.
Return on Investment
- Very positive - Comprehensive marketing and data analytics, good event tracking, very easy to find and track conversion rates.
- Negative - Segment can be quite a bit expensive, especially as MTU grows, and can take quite a bit of time to pay off.
- Positive - Easy to integrate into all platforms, applications, and programs that have some sort of end-users, turns Segment into an encompassing platform for tracking all types of data analytics.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?