Likelihood to Recommend
Vertica as a data warehouse to deliver analytics in-house and even to your client base on scale is not rivaled anywhere in the market. Frankly, in my experience it is not even close to equaled. Because it is such a powerful data warehouse, some people attempt to use it as a transactional database. It certainly is not one of those. Individual row inserts are slow and do not perform well. Deletes are a whole other story. RDBMS it is definitely not. OLAP it rocks.
- Extremely fast query performance - Vertica is one of the fastest query engines out there.
- Scales to TBs - Scales reasonably well up to 10-20 nodes and 10 - 100s of TB of data.
- Easy to Use - Fairly easy to user, we made quite some headway with just 1 person running it for a while.
- Could use some work on better integrating with cloud providers and open source technologies. For AWS you will find an AMI in the marketplace and recently a connector for loading data from S3 directly was created. With last release, integration with Kafka was added that can help.
- Managing large workloads (concurrent queries) is a bit challenging.
- Having a way to provide an estimate on the duration for currently executing queries / etc. can be helpful. Vertica provides some counters for the query execution engine that are helpful but some may find confusing.
- Unloading data over JDBC is very slow. We've had to come up with alternatives based on vsql, etc. Not a very clean, official on how to unload data.
Based on 2 answers
I haven't had any recent opportunity to reach out to Vertica support. From what I remember, I believe whenever I reached out to them the experience was smooth.
Administrator in Information TechnologyEntertainment Company, 1001-5000 employees
SAP HANA, Oracle, MySQL, and PostgreSQL are too heavyweight for achieving real-time latency requirements. Google BigQuery is limited to Cloud that makes hard to integrate with a large ingestion pipeline that may have both Cloud-based and on-prem components. Hadoop is much more complex to setup. Snowflake is again Cloud-based and is a new player so its reputation is not well known.
Analyst in Information TechnologyAirlines/Aviation Company, 51-200 employees
Return on Investment
- The ROI on fast, interactive querying is very high.
- Table size limitations force us to use other tools, slowing things down.
- Relatively expensive pricing forces us to regularly upgrade our Vertica subscription and database. Each upgrade leads to a downtime of a few days.
Analyst in MarketingInternet Company, 501-1000 employees
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?