HPE StoreOnce is a backup and recovery hardware solution from Hewlett-Packard Enterprise, providing disk-based backup, deduplication, and long-term storage. StoreOnce offerings can support virtual and cloud environments for small business, mid-size organizations, and enterprises.
Data Center Backup Solutions
Best Data Center Backup Solutions
- Best Data Center Backup Solutions include: Bacula Enterprise, Veeam Backup & Replication, Rubrik, Barracuda Backup, NAKIVO Backup & Replication, Vembu BDR Suite, Veeam Availability Suite, Cohesity, Druva Phoenix, Commvault Complete Backup & Recovery, and MSP360 Backup (formerly CloudBerry Backup).
- A complete list of Data Center Backup Solutions is available here.
TrustMaps are two-dimensional charts that compare products based on satisfaction ratings and research frequency by prospective buyers. Products must have 10 or more ratings to appear on this TrustMap.
Data Center Backup Solutions Overview
What are Data Center Backup Solutions?
Small businesses may rely on backup solutions that come with the server operating system, or built-in server backup. However, this approach creates vulnerabilities due to a lack of transparency. It also means the company may have multiple non-integrated data protection solutions. This is not viable for larger enterprises where transparency and policy-based governance rules exist. And for virtualization heavy environments, virtualization-aware data backup solutions are key.
The modern data center needs data backup solutions that cover:
- Physical and virtual servers
- Enterprise applications (i.e., SaaS products)
- Mobile endpoints
- Public infrastructure platforms (like AWS)
Data Center Backup Features & Capabilities
Data center backup and recovery solutions provide the following feature sets:
Combine backup & replication, recovery, and storage in a single service
Machine / platform agnostic backup restorations
Centralized web-based management console
Deduplication, changed block only backup, low bandwidth consumption
File archival, long-term storage optimized backup
Near continuous data protection (e.g., high interval) & restore availability
Support for remote offices, remote employees (e.g., laptops, VDI)
Test and validation of recovery plans, recovery assurance
Verification of backups, ransomware / virus detection
Encryption and deduplication of transmitted data
Protection & restore of running applications, open files, etc.
Cloud-to-cloud backup for SaaS services (e.g., Exchange, Microsoft Office 365)
Image-level virtual machine (VM) backup
Multiple data restore locations (e.g., tape appliance, cloud)
Copy data management with search & analytics
Optional unlimited cloud storage for backups, managed cloud-based storage
Integrated deduplication and file compression
Regular snapshots to ensure Recovery Point Objective (RPO) is met
Replacement appliances in case of total disaster
Data Center Backup Comparison
1. Do you need converged secondary storage? Converged secondary storage is a combination of many data protection technologies including backup, recovery, archiving, replication, deduplication, compression and encryption. The idea of a turnkey packaged solution is very attractive to some who have little interest in selecting a server and the associated software components, and just want something that is scalable and secure and optimized out of the gate. On the other hand, some customers are likely to have appropriate infrastructure in the data center and would prefer a software-only solution that they can install themselves. One of the big advantages of this converged storage approach is that it allows buyers to think beyond backup, and to think in terms of a broader data protection management strategy.
2. What about copy data management? Copy data management is a solution to the problem of proliferating copies of data across the enterprise. The amount of data collected and processed by enterprises has grown exponentially over the last few years, and if multiple copies of the same data are being stored, this can use up available storage space and degrade performance. The key insight behind the development of copy data management is that there should be a centralized, policy-driven way to manage the creation and use of copies in an automated and efficient manner. Copy data management capabilities have now become pervasive in backup offerings, and most enterprise vendors include some form of copy data management as standard with their products.
3. Is cloud backup for you? Cloud storage is not yet the de facto storage option for most organizations despite advantages like elasticity which allows for capacity growth with unlimited storage. However, a large majority of organizations have a hybrid strategy allowing them to utilize both on-premises and cloud backup strategies, sometimes dictated by the kind of data being backed up. For example, mission critical data might be backed up to disk in the data center, while data that is less likely to be needed in the short term is stored in the cloud as a form or archiving.
While all products feature basic data center backup, advanced backup solutions include workload automation, role-based access, self-service recovery, and other features. Alternatively, protection plans can be purchased per workstation. This may present a viable, low cost (e.g., approximately $100 per workstation per year) backup solution for small businesses. Also, leading providers of data center backup and disaster recovery solutions may provide wholly managed recovery services, or data backup hardware and appliances as well.
- The 2019 Buyer's Guide to Data Center Backup Software
- Your Data Matters: What is Backup and Recovery?
- 4 Reasons Why Cloud Backup is Important for IT
- Spotlight on 7 Leading Data Center Backup Products
- 6 Free Backup Software Solutions
- How Often Should You Back Up Your Data?
- 3-2-1 Backup: is This Data Center Backup Strategy Hype or Reality?
- When to Use Cloud vs. On-Premise Backup Solutions
- Getting Your Data Backup Right: Cohesity vs. Rubrik
- Which Data Center Backup Solutions Have the Most Flexible Deployment?
- A Tale of Two Backups: Endpoint vs. Data Center Backup
- Converged and Hyperconverged Secondary Storage: What Can They Do for IT Teams?
- "Where Does This Thing Go?" Cloud, Tape, and Disk Data Storage at a Glance
- Announcing the Top Rated Data Center Backup Software of 2019
Data Center Backup Products
Listings (26-50 of 57)
StarWind Virtual Tape Library (VTL) is a data and cloud backup solution, implementing compression and deduplication. StarWind VTL is available in a free edition, a paid software edition, and also as a StarWind VTL Appliance.
The Infrascale Platform is the flagship cloud storage, data protection, and disaster recovery platform from the California based company, Infrascale.
SQL Safe Backup from Houston based software company Idera is a data recovery and protection option.
IBM Spectrum Protect Plus provides data recovery for virtual environments and databases.
LiveVault is a data backup and recovery option acquired by J2 Global from Iron Mountain.
System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) is an enterprise backup and recovery system that contributes to BCDR strategy by facilitating the backup and recovery of enterprise data.
VMware vSphere Data Protection Advanced (or vDPA), now part of vSphere, is a VMware data protection and recovery offering.
Actifio Enterprise is a copy data virtualization, & data center backup and recovery platform from Boston-based Actifio.
Atempo Time Navigator (TINA) is a data backup solution capturing providing restoration of data capabilities. Atempo was acquired by ASG and spun off again as an independent company.
NetApp V-Series is a backup and storage solution from global company NetApp.
Bocada Enterprise is a data recovery and backup solution from the company Bocada in Seattle.
Iron Cloud Backup from Iron Mountain is a data storage and recovery solution for enterprises.
AvePoint Pipeline for Microsoft Dynamics CRM is a free sales pipeline management application for Microsoft Dynamics CRM, from AvePoint headquartered in New Jersey.
NovaBACKUP is a backup and restore solution targeted for small businesses on a budget. The solution includes free custom installations, professional setup assistance, and knowledgeable local support. The vendor says that their backup solutions are 100% HIPAA compliant, allowing small medical and...
Falconstor Virtual Tape Library (VTL) is the eponymous data center backup and recovery solution from the company headquartered in Melville, New York.
Netvault Backup is backup and recovery software from Dell, based on technology obtained via that company's acquisition of BakBone Software in 2011.
Tivoli Continous Data Protection for Files (Tivoli CDP) is IBM's data storage, protection and recovery solution.
StorMagic is a data backup and recovery solution from the UK company of the same name.
Atempo's Live Navigator (LINA) is suitable for the data protection needs of mid-sized to petabyte scale businesses and large distributed enterprises.
Storware vProtect is an enterprise backup solution for Open Virtual Machine environments such as KVM, Redhat Virtualization/Ovirt, Citrix Xen Server, Xen, Nutanix, Oracle VM, and Proxmox. vProtect enables VM-level data protection and can function as a standalone solution or integrate with enterpr...
Vinchin Backup & Recovery is an easy-to-use, reliable and cost-effective VM backup and disaster recovery software to protect multi-types of virtualization environment including VMware, XenServer, RHV, OpenStack and Sangfor HCI with a single user friendly Web console. This is especially benefi...
Igneous calls itself a UDM as-a-Service solution that enables data-centric organizations with visibility, protection anddata mobility at scale, wherever datasets and workflows live. The main value proposition is that Igneous customers can see, organize and understand all of their unstructured dat...
INAP Disaster Recovery is a Disaster-Recovery-as-a-Service (DRaaS) solution. The vendor's goal is to provide customers with business continuity, avoid downtime, and help them ensure their applications work for the people that rely on them.
INAP Cloud Backup is an offsite cloud data center backup solution. It is designed to provide the highest level of data protection and redundancy for sensitive data. INAP Cloud Backup is powered by Veeam Cloud Connect. The vendor's goal is to provide a simple, affordable and secure way to guarante...