ActiveCampaign Reviews

<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring#question3' target='_blank' rel='nofollow noopener'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2021

October 11, 2019
Jake Tacher | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it as a sales and marketing CRM, but our success and support team trickles in there sometimes too. We also try to use it to calculate commission.
  • Marketing automation (ok)
  • Price
  • That's literally all I can think of
  • Product: built backward in a lot of ways and is incredibly unsmooth to work with
  • Server goes down a lot
  • Buggy as all get out
Honestly, if you are 5-10 people this might be awesome because of price and simplicity. That being said, if you plan to scale at all, pay for a better CRM. We got it hastily when we were about 20 employees but are switching now and the switch couldn't come sooner for us.
Read Jake Tacher's full review
September 15, 2017
ActiveCampaign is being used solely by our marketing team. It is an economical tool that addresses the fundamental aspects of marketing automation, including email marketing, form handling and lead scoring.
  • It features easily deployable email campaigns.
  • Its lead scoring component is easy to set up and configure.
  • Its form tool is straightforward and provides for easy embedding on websites and landing pages.
  • It's reporting functionality is terrible. I can't emphasize this enough. There is not a path for ad hoc reports; only canned system reports and some ability to use advanced search and filters to "try" and work around this.
  • The form tool does not have the best styling capabilities.
  • Their list building / segmentation features are difficult to confidently maneuver when trying to establish unique paths for individual contacts based on certain triggers / behavioral actions.
If someone needs an economical entry into marketing automation features and does not require any comprehensive reporting, ActiveCampaign can be a suitable tool. If ad hoc reports and advanced list segmentation features are important, avoid it.
June 04, 2020
Michelle Markwart Deveaux | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use ActiveCampaign to communicate with my current subscribers and clients and customers, and as a way to keep in touch with those interested in my business.

I'm a micro-business, with a tiny team, and two of us use this tool to send client-wide info to our subscription membership group, even though we have a FB group and a Slack channel, having the email go to all is very helpful in keeping members up to date on our shenanigans!

I could use it more and better for marketing, to be sure! I am just learning how to do that well.
  • Easy to create a one-time campaign.
  • Easy to search past campaigns, templates, etc.
  • Customer service how-to's solve the problem of "how do I do that?" quickly.
  • I have trouble navigating automations and setting them up properly.
  • It's SO robust, I am not even sure what I don't know about what it can do!
I am still not 100% sure that it's the right tool for our company, yet I am glad that it's streamlined and less "fluffy" than the other options out there. For a tiny business like mine, I'd say the cost for the ROI may feel high at first, as you're learning the system.
Read Michelle Markwart Deveaux's full review
July 16, 2020
It is used by the Marketing Department for email automatons. It helps us send messages to our customers at the same time in each of their time zones. We use it for a welcome work flow to make sure we engage with users right away and are able to reduce time sending the same email.
  • Easy automation duplication to save time.
  • Tagging system to segment contact.
  • Contact profiles to learn more about each customer's history with us.
  • Automation tools are very visual and easy to edit or grow.
  • Automation glitches where not all emails send.
  • Reporting malfunctions were the wrong information is displayed.
It makes sense for smaller businesses with not as many contacts needed to go through an automation. When you start working in large volumes you see more glitches and you must create more workarounds. But the user interface is intuitive and overall a good product. Excellent customer service from the reps and they are always there to help with any issues that come up.
April 24, 2018
J.P. VanderLinden | TrustRadius Reviewer
I implemented ActiveCampaign for two different companies, each hoping to use AC to deliver targeted emails to opted in users and nurture these users through a decision journey that could take between weeks and months. The goal was to allow for logic branching based on user interaction, and deliver content based on that logic branching that addressed key pain points and guided a user towards the right solution for them.
  • Most Email Service Providers don't allow for logic branching in their drip sequencing - they allow for time delays or opt out/ins based on opens and maybe clicks, but no true branching or trees. This is a key differentiation for AC.
  • The drag and drop workflows and organization is fantastic, easy to use and fast. You can setup a sequence in a matter of minutes where it would take hours with other providers.
  • Integrating with others is a key part of the modern tech stack. Active Campaign works with Zapier, making it able to talk to landing page software, ad campaigns, other marketing automation, email databases and more. Plus it offers native integrations with Stripe, SurveyMonkey, PipeDrive, Paypal and more.
  • If you're just getting started and have less than 1k contacts, the pricing is very reasonable. You can get out between $17 and $100 a month and get a host of features competitors can't touch.
  • The reporting UI is difficult to use. I setup a fantastic sequence, but understanding how it was performing was like pulling teeth. How many users branched, how many unsubscribed? I had to dig into individual emails to get this information.
  • As your contact list climbs, the pricing does, too. Once you get up around 2-5k contacts, you really should start looking at options like HubSpot, where the pricing is comparable but the feature list is much larger.
  • At it's heart, AC is an email platform. So no landing pages, the website tracking is kinda half-baked and the CRM feels like it's just tacked on without it being integrated in an intentional and strategic way.
If you're just getting started and know you're going to want an Email Service Provider (not a Marketing Automation software), then you really should check out ActiveCampaign. Compared to MailChimp or ConstantContact or Klaviyo it's a big step up in terms of advanced, smart delivery.

On the other hand, if you know you'll be wanting options like landing pages and robust tracking within 12 months, or expect to be working with a large list soon, you might find yourself disappointed, and should start looking at Infusionsoft or HubSpot instead, as you won't be as likely to outgrow it so soon.
Read J.P. VanderLinden's full review
July 19, 2020
Phil Reichner | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our marketing department currently uses Active Campaign as our sole email marketing software. We have it linked to Salesforce through their app. This provides us a solution for all email marketing campaigns.
  • Very easy to create templates.
  • Vast automation tools.
  • New app integrates well with Salesforce Lightning.
  • Immediately after renewing our service (twice) our sending servers were switched which created deliverability issues. After considerable back and forth with their deliverability team, we were finally switched to a third server which was better for deliverability.
  • Automation sometimes is delayed.
  • Salesforce app only works in Lightning.
Overall, our team likes Active Campaign and the ease of use, but the switching of servers has darkened a very good product. The key factor in any email marketing software is deliverability. Both times they switched our servers the servers that they put us on were so poor that emails within our own domain would be picked up by our spam filters and placed in quarantine.
Read Phil Reichner's full review
October 31, 2018
Tracy Beers | TrustRadius Reviewer
My company uses ActiveCampaign for email marketing for one of my clients. We specifically use ActiveCampaign vs any other email marketing programs because of the ability to set up automations and its ability to integrate with their WooCommerce website and the ability to track events in Google Analytics.
  • Easy to create and format emails with a "drag and drop" interface. Anyone can easily create an email with little instruction.
  • You can also use custom HTML to create an email or email template so that you can be assured the email you are sending looks EXACTLY like you want it to or matches your website exactly.
  • There is no media database/library. All images uploaded for use just kind of "live" with the user that uploaded them in the emails and there is no easy way to organize them and there is no way to share them amongst different users. So needless to say, images are just kind of a mess.
  • Campaigns can be organized by various methods - type, status, label and list. But there is no way to organize by campaign name, date created or date scheduled/sent which would be helpful for the person creating all the emails to keep track of what's done and needs to be done. (You can sort by 'last modified' but if you jump around a bit between emails, that doesn't help.)
ActiveCampaign is not for everyone. It is well suited for those who understand email marketing or have experience with email marketing and automations. If you are not going to use it for the automations, it's probably not worth using it. You are just as well served using a less expensive and simpler program that is easier to use.
Read Tracy Beers's full review
December 08, 2017
We're using Active Campaign for clients that cannot afford more comprehensive CRM and automation tools. ActiveCampaign is being used by our marketing team in order to deliver services to our clients that revolve around inbound marketing. It is fairly easy to set up and it allows us to create email marketing automation and track our results. The best part about it is that it's very cheap compared to other solutions, but keep in mind that you'll need several other tools in order to create your campaigns.
  • It's a cheap solution.
  • It integrates well with many other software.
  • It's easy to set up.
  • it has good email automation and personalization options.
  • It doesn't have any landing pages options so you'll need to use additional systems.
  • Reporting system is petty basic and could be much more in-depth.
  • Automations are sometimes limited. You need to plan ahead and make sure you have everything set correctly.
It's a good tool if you're just starting out and want to tap into email marketing and automation systems. However, know that it is fairly limited compared to other CRM systems and you will need additional tools to manage social media, create landing pages, CTAs etc. It's also a good fit for small businesses that are still discovering the power of inbound marketing.
January 30, 2021
We use it to generate leads and communicate with our list. I know there's so much more it can do and we're working towards being able to use it in more advanced and sophisticated ways. We use it across the whole organization. Business problems it addresses: nurturing our list and audience members.
  • Easy to create email campaigns.
  • Able to create detailed automations.
  • Customer service is available to help.
  • Sales for new customers: My entry into using AC was super lame and I reported the salesperson for over-selling me without my knowledge or understanding.
  • Automations can be difficult to execute without hassles.
  • My team couldn't figure out how to send a re-engagement campaign. That should be more obvious.
I only know my own experience coming from a really HORRIBLE experience with Infusionsoft. But I was oversold initially and AC isn't cheap so that was super lame. It could be more user-friendly for newer businesses and entrepreneurs. But I think it's best suited for people who are really committed to growing their biz and have email lists of 5K or larger.
The support is there but they often can't help us solve problems in a simple or timely manner and it's frustrating.
April 01, 2021
Aaron Parker | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use ActiveCampaign for our entire email capture, newsletter promotion and overall marketing processes. We have a number pf forms on our website to capture emails for various offers and we follow those up with appropriate autoresponder campaigns. We also send a monthly newsletter and the occasional one-off announcement email through the system.
  • Email Capture
  • Segmentation
  • Autoresponder sequences
  • Automations - sometimes they don't work as expected
  • Help files - it's sometimes hard to find an exact answer (but chat is awesome)
ActiveCampaign has everything you need. I doubt that we are using even 30% of its capabilities and it does everything we need an autoresponder to do. Because of its huge number of capabilities however, the learning curve is a bit longer, but that's still OK.
Read Aaron Parker's full review
March 24, 2021
Tanja Baumann | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use ActiveCampaign for myself and for clients, so I got to know most systems, and ActiveCampaign is by far the best. We use it for product launches, newsletters and other client campaigns.

We build up waiting lists and automations with it. It's been a huge step forward for us and our clients in organizing all of our leads, contacts, and customers and to make sure that everyone gets the content they need.

ActiveCampaign is intuitive, has a lot of great features, and is easy to handle and to learn. Their webinars and events are great and if they do events in your area you should go.
  • Marketing automation
  • Custom tagging
  • List building
  • Updates sometimes make things worse and not better
  • Forms are hard to find
  • No overview of all emails
  • Better delivery, so emails don't end up in spam
Automations are just perfect; you can do anything there. Great for email autoresponder setup and for organizing automations and visually seeing how the contact is going through an automation. It is still the best tool on the market, in my opinion.

When you have a feature in your plan and they exclude it from the plan, you don't get a message and realize sometime later that it is not working anymore. This happened to some of my clients and to me, too. Recently there were a few changes that cut down the power of that tool. I guess it is normal that as business, you pay more attention to the higher paid plans.
Answers are good and fast. It's usually really helpful if you write them directly. I hope they start to have the webinars again--they were great. And they also had really good workshops.

Their new new bot is not so good; you can hardly find a good answer to your question. I ignore it and go directly to the help side.
Read Tanja Baumann's full review
March 14, 2021
In general, I was very happy with the ease-of-use of ActiveCampaign. I was setting up a contacts collection automation, including welcome emails, newsletter send-outs, etc. The process to do so was very straightforward and fast, in my opinion.

Though there were some basic expected functionalities missing, such as using custom fonts according to company design guides. Also, the email builder, while quite easy to use in general, can be a bit buggy. It was also missing some basic features that I would have liked, such as stacking content blocks (on top of each other, rather than next to each other; Z-dimension) and putting background images on content blocks.

Few grievances aside though, I'm generally happy with the product!
  • Ease of use.
  • Lacking some basic expected features.
I'd use ActiveCampaign when design requirements are low to medium at best. Design requirements aside, the tool is versatile and likely usable to most applicable situations.
February 12, 2020
Mike Koolwijk | TrustRadius Reviewer
We help companies with setting up their marketing, based on existing tools or tools that we can suggest. ActiveCampaign is one of the tools we use and suggest, and also some of our clients use it. (So, there is not really one best tool for me, but it depends on the situation.) For marketing automation, we use ActiveCampaign for smaller companies with fewer than 500 contacts. It's easy to use, gets the job done for most of the wishes there are, and you can start at $9 per month. If it's not working, then it won't hit you too hard. We mainly use ActiveCampaign for lead generation, segmentation, automation of emails to the segments, and contact forms in one system.
  • A real clean and complete automation setup
  • Low price, even if you wanna try "marketing automation" to get your feet wet
  • Reports are kinda bland. I wish I could have more information or even build them myself.
  • With no HTML editor, the emails sometimes end up looking like something you don't want to send.
From my experience, ActiveCampaign is better at "email marketing automation" than marketing automation as a whole. So, when your main focus is getting everything out of your mail campaigns and subscribers, this tool is perfect! If you are a small company, or even a bigger one, and want to "experience" marketing automation, ActiveCampaign is a perfect base to start. But if you are bigger and want the complete picture of "marketing automation" with sales management, etc., I would suggest other tools.
Read Mike Koolwijk's full review
June 10, 2020
Annika Brink | TrustRadius Reviewer
I'm a new startup and was recommended ActiveCampaign by another entrepreneur. I use ActiveCampaign to format and send out email flows. What I really need is a platform that can help me get started and teach me what I definitely need to think about. Within my team, I have one other volunteer who also has access.
  • They allow you to schedule free one-on-one training sessions, even on their low priced plans.
  • ActiveCampaign has the best webinars I've seen. They are really high value, engaging and their staff seems to be true advocates for the product.
  • The interface for formatting emails is intuitive.
  • There's a ton of information on different ActiveCampaign functionality. The starter guide is still a little too complex for me.
  • As a newby, some of the terminology sometimes goes over my head a little bit.
  • The pricing, especially for a new business, is very steep if you like those special features.
I think I would have been able to get more out of my ActiveCampaign experience if I was familiar with a similar program (like MailChimp) before. This does not seem to be an entry-level service. If you run a serious business it's great! It's a little hard right now, but I expect ActiveCampaign to be future-proof as my company grows.
Read Annika Brink's full review
July 07, 2020
Kendahl MacLaren | TrustRadius Reviewer
ActiveCampaign is currently utilized by our marketing department to capture leads that can be passed to the sales team. As we build our lists, we hope to implement more email campaigns and continue to grow our contacts' exposure to our products and services. Our team relies heavily on the ActiveCampaign forms for our website.
  • Automations are simple to set up.
  • Forms are easy to integrate into our WordPress site.
  • Tagging customers is helpful.
  • Forms could use more customization abilities without the need for Custom CSS.
  • Often need to have multiple windows open to easily navigate the platform.
  • Features haven't worked for me (ex. "Wait" feature in automations) and customer service said it is an "ongoing problem" with no fix.
Overall, ActiveCampaign has been easy to set up and being using quickly. There are a wide variety of potential integrations that they offer which seem to be very helpful! We have ActiveCampaign paired with WordPress and Salesforce.

However, we have had frequent small problems that seem to add up, which causes us the need to find workarounds or change how we were planning to do something.
Read Kendahl MacLaren's full review
July 21, 2020
Morgan Specht | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am a sole-proprietor but have a subcontracted assistant who manages Active Campaign for me. We use it to communicate with past clients and also for marketing/newsletter purposes.
  • Competitive price point.
  • Great design flexibility.
  • Integrates with lots of other software I use.
  • Super robust features make for a steep learning curve.
  • Hard to know where to start with so many different features.
I think Active Campaign would be great for pretty much all businesses. Maybe not super huge e-commerce type sites but any small to mid-sized businesses would greatly benefit.
Read Morgan Specht's full review
August 03, 2020
Stephen Box | TrustRadius Reviewer
As a solopreneur, I use ActiveCampaign to automate my marketing funnels and communicate with potential clients.
  • The automation feature is easy to set up and allows me to deliver digital products and important information to new and potential clients.
  • The ability to create tags and custom fields on the lowest pricing tier helps me personalize the content I send out which results in better open rates and more sales.
  • While the "lite" price tier is powerful and works great for my small business there is a huge increase in cost to access certain features. For example, the ability to create dynamic content is possible on the "lite" tier if you do it manually with tags and custom fields. However, if you want to use the actual dynamic content feature then the cost of jumping from the "lite" tier to the "plus" tier is 5x the cost.
For small business owners looking for a reliable service with easy to set up automations and detailed reports at a reasonable price, ActiveCampaign is a winner. Since I'm a solopreneur on the "lite" tier it's hard to say if the higher cost is worth the jump to the higher tiers or how ActiveCampaign compares to its competitors for a larger business.
Read Stephen Box's full review
October 10, 2019
Josh Summerhays | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use ActiveCampaign both on the marketing and fulfillment sides of the business. ActiveCampaign helps us segment and target our audience so that we can market the most relevant programs and offers to each person. We also use ActiveCampaign to deliver digital course content and help our clients stay on schedule with their learning and development. We've just started taking advantage of the SMS capabilities of ActiveCampaign in this regard as well.
  • Makes it easy to set up automation flows without necessarily having the whole thing planned beforehand. Other tools that I have used require more advanced planning done upfront and then you implement all it once. I like that ActiveCampaign allows me to use the platform as part of the planning and iterative process. I don't have to have every email or another message pre-written and created and then inserted into an automation. I can even create empty placeholders and come back later to fill in the content.
  • Email creation is simple and I can duplicate a previous email and edit it very easily without the risk of inadvertently modifying the original.
  • Integrates well with other tools in our tech stack.
  • The CRM is easy to customize in terms of the type of information that we collect, but it is not as easy as I would like to customize the layout and prioritization of the information presented. It's a little clunky to get around a contact record.
  • Reporting needs a massive upgrade. I don't get half of the email performance data that I need to optimize the performance of our campaigns and automation.
  • System uptime isn't terrible, but I get more notifications of system-wide email delivery problems than any other tool I've used in the past.
ActiveCampaign is great for small businesses that need to easily get something built and deployed quickly. It's a simple system to use, but with enough power to grow with your business for quite a while. It has a pretty good number of integrations with other small business marketing tech tools and hopefully, this will expand over time as well. The price point is palatable for a lot of small businesses as well, but once your contact list really starts taking off, you may need a different system.
Read Josh Summerhays's full review
May 13, 2021
Herschel Berkowitz | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use ActiveCampaign as our primary email marketing platform and CRM tool. We use ActiveCampaign extensively for lead generation campaigns, subscriber segmentation and automations. ActiveCampaign makes all of these tasks a breeze without the need for any complex integration or coding.
  • Email Marketing
  • Drip Campaigns
  • Segmentation
  • Sending limits penalises companies that send frequent emails by forcing them to upgrade to a higher subscribers tier.
  • Account manager non-responsive and difficult to get hold of.
  • No transactional email functionality.
Great for email marketing and automations. Automations very easy to setup and allows for unlimited scenarios.
Read Herschel Berkowitz's full review
March 16, 2021
Aaron Steinberg | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use ActiveCampaign for email marketing, marketing automation, and as our CRM. It addresses our need to build our lists, promote our subscriptions and products and track / manage sales.
  • The automation capabilities are robust and capable.
  • The CRM is plenty robust for a company our size.
  • The integration between the CRM and the automation capability is quite good and very useful for us.
  • The interface is not always intuitive and it can be confusing troubleshooting automations that don't always work as they should.
  • Support is spotty. Our account rep is not as responsive as we would like.
  • Information/insight/education on how to use AC better exists but it is hard to find.
I cannot speak for larger companies, but for a smaller company like ours, the automation / CRM native to [ActiveCampaign] work well for us. If you're not already on another CRM and plan to build out your marketing, automation and lead/sale management in one tool, it's worth it.
Read Aaron Steinberg's full review
December 27, 2017
We are using ActiveCampaign in a specific location within a nationwide business. We are using it for marketing purposes, as well as onboarding, deadline countdowns, and information based emails. ActiveCampaign helps us to better serve our current customers and market to new customers with their automation options and one-off emails within the CRM.
  • Marketing Automation
  • Click/Link Tracking
  • Email Integration with Gmail via a Chrome extension
  • One-to-one email automation (all automations have unsubscribe / impersonal req'd fields)
  • Sometimes the Chrome plugin does not work properly.
  • The email builder could use improvement on the UX end.
ActiveCampaign works well for onboarding, deadline countdowns, informational emails, and marketing. I think that ActiveCampaign could improve it's one-to-one sales email options to really be an all in one solution with it's CRM.
October 31, 2018
In my company, I use it in the marketing department. I basically use it for promotional email campaigns. With this applicatio,n I make promotional emailers and send them to my database to generate queries for my products.
  • It’s very easy to set up an account on this application.
  • During the campaign design it automatically saves your templates.
  • The email mobile optimisation is the best feature in this application.
  • Unavailability of incoming text messaging integration. They should integrate this feature for better engagement.
  • Sometimes I have difficulties creating my campaign through the HTML builder. I think it happens because of some bugs.
  • Its pricing is very steep for a small company or for a starter.
For a small company like us, it is very useful to build a list of subscribers through email campaigns and subscription forms. The accuracy of its email campaigns helps me to grow my list very fast.
October 29, 2018
Nicholas De Salvo | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use ActiveCampaign for marketing smart automation and also consult with other companies on selecting marketing automation tools. ActiveCampaign is a very powerful tool for small businesses looking for a rich feature-set at an affordable price.
  • The automation interface is fairly intuitive to work through and offers powerful, flexible features.
  • For the price and features it offers, it's the best value of any automation service that exists today.
  • It has a TON of options for the advanced user to tinker and test with.
  • Since it has so many options, a beginner might be overwhelmed by the choices available. This is hard to avoid when offering so much flexibility, but still, a new user would be well-served to watch some tutorials and have a clear idea about the workflow they want to get started.
  • There is a point at which your list will outgrow the service (hopefully!) and you might want to think about switching to a service whose CRM and landing page functionality is more robust.
For the small business who is just getting started or has a list smaller than 2,500 contacts, ActiveCampaign is a leader in smart communication. Compared with free (or cheap) alternatives like MailChimp or Constant Contact, the feature set provides a lot more value. The one real caveat here is that you have to really want to use the features. For someone who is happy to just send out their monthly newsletter, this might be more than you need.
Read Nicholas De Salvo's full review
November 06, 2018
Viktor Nagornyy | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use ActiveCampaign to generate and nurture leads, manage sales pipeline with a built-in CRM to help close sales, and stay in touch with existing customers. It's an integral part of the business as it helps bring in new customers and keep existing customers while increasing their lifetime value with new orders and services.
  • Automation campaigns are excellent in ActiveCampaign. It allows granular control over what happens when to whom and how. You can create very complex automated campaigns to nurture leads at the right time with the right content.
  • Ability to create custom pipelines is great as it allows us to cater to different sales processes that vary depending on customer type and/or different services, so we can track the right information in a flow that makes sense in specific situations.
  • Sending 1-to-1 emails in CRM that are tracked so we know when contacts open emails.
  • Chrome extension for Gmail is really useful to access contact data within emails in Gmail and being able to track emails sent in Gmail.
  • You can't add a contact without an email address.
  • Site tracking of visitors sometimes doesn't work, so when they submit a form their activity prior to form submission is lost.
  • Sales/CRM reporting is very limited. Anyone coming from a proper CRM like Salesforce would find reporting unusable, especially sales teams.
  • Email builder needs some work, it has certain limitations and doesn't allow custom designs to be editable in the builder.
  • No Android app for CRM (suppose to be in the works as we were told).
ActiveCampaign has its shortcomings, but it is a very good marketing automation platform and can do wonders for a business. The best feature is the automated campaigns. It allows very targeted communication that some larger (enterprise focused) marketing automation platforms can't provide. That's why a lot of businesses, especially online businesses, flock to ActiveCampaign. They want to take advantage of the automatons that ActiveCampaign provides to generate leads and sales.

Where I wouldn't recommend ActiveCampaign (at least not right now) is when a business has a sales team. The limited CRM functionality and poor reporting compared to dedicated CRMs would make it very difficult for a sales team to function, especially for a sales manager to get proper reporting to know how everyone is doing and where they are as a sales organization.
Read Viktor Nagornyy's full review
December 09, 2018
Audréa Trinh | TrustRadius Reviewer
ActiveCampaign (AC) is an easy and effective marketing automation tool for small businesses. I have implemented AC in the marketing department in order to send different and multiple types of campaigns (simple newsletters, invites, nurturing campaigns) and also to create lead funnel automations. If you have a little customer base (<5000 contacts), AC is a good tool and it is easy to use for lead generation.
  • Creating emails or templates is VERY easy as well as the automation builder is easy to use.
  • Affordable for small companies. Even if your database is growing, the price will of course increase but it is still affordable.
  • You can't create landing pages :(
  • The reporting section can be improve. The interface is not user-friendly at all. We have used another tool to visualize and analyze the results of our campaigns.
ActiveCampaign is well suited for basic scenarios such as daily emailing, follow-up emails, invites, thank you emails or reminders. If you want to create nurturing campaigns with multiple possibilities, AC is also pretty effective with the automation builder. If you want to do very personalized automated email campaigns, ActiveCampaign might not be the best tool to use.
Read Audréa Trinh's full review

WYSIWYG email editor (230)
Dynamic content (206)
Ability to test dynamic content (186)
Landing pages (93)
A/B testing (149)
Mobile optimization (204)
Email deliverability reporting (261)
List management (256)
Triggered drip sequences (233)
9.2
Lead nurturing (169)
Lead scoring and grading (123)
Data quality management (136)
Automated sales alerts and tasks (125)
Calendaring (103)
Event/webinar marketing (91)
Social sharing and campaigns (84)
Social profile integration (79)
Dashboards (236)
Standard reports (232)
Custom reports (147)
API (135)
Role-based workflow & approvals (86)
Customizability (144)
Integration with Salesforce.com (28)
Integration with Microsoft Dynamics CRM (17)
Integration with SugarCRM (16)

What is ActiveCampaign?

The vendor states ActiveCampaign's category-defining customer experience automation platform (CXA) helps over 130,000 businesses in 170 countries meaningfully engage with their customers. The platform gives businesses of all sizes access to 500+ pre-built automations that combine email marketing, marketing automation and CRM for powerful segmentation and personalization across social, email, messaging, chat and text. Pricing starts at just $9/month.

By removing the silos that typically exist between email marketing, marketing automation, CRM, and account management solutions, businesses can automate truly personalized experiences that feel authentic. The vendor states that over 75% of ActiveCampaign's customers use its 850+ integrations including Microsoft, Shopify, Square, Facebook, and Salesforce.

Additionally, ActiveCampaign offers 500+ pre-built automation templates that make it easy for customers to instantly create and run connected campaigns across all channels, and free customer service, including live chat and phone support, a self-help knowledge base and complementary data migration. Combined with the ActiveCampaign Customer Success Commitment—a set of 14 promises pledging that customers will always be able to get what they need, when they need it—ActiveCampaign aims to deliver value on Day 1 to customers of all sizes.

ActiveCampaign Screenshots

ActiveCampaign Video

ActiveCampaign: Customer Experience Automation Demo

ActiveCampaign Integrations

LiveChat, Survicate, BigCommerce, Calendly, Dropbox, Facebook Pages Manager, MINDBODY, Pipedrive, Shopify, Slack, SurveyMonkey, Typeform, unbounce, Zendesk Support Suite, Twilio Programmable SMS, part of Twilio CPaaS, Magento Commerce, part of Adobe Commerce Cloud

ActiveCampaign Competitors