Long Time Customer

March 02, 2020
Altaro VM backup is being used by our IT department to provide a backup of all our Microsoft Hyper V VMs stored on our three host servers.

Awesome product!

February 19, 2020
I've been in the IT industry for 9 years, and I've used many different backup solutions and I would say this is the best back up solution …

Fast and reliable VM backups

October 24, 2019
It is currently being used by the IT department. We have several VM servers in production, and we have set Altaro to backup the VMs on a …

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Altaro, and make your voice heard!

Subscription License - Standard Edition

Subscription License - Unlimited Edition

Subscription License - Unlimited Plus Edition

What is Altaro?

Altaro VM Backup is a virtual machine backup and replication solution for Hyper-V and VMware environments. The vendor reports that It is used by 50,000+ businesses worldwide.

Designed for IT departments, IT resellers, IT consultants and Managed Service Providers (MSPs), the solution provides robust, streamlined, enterprise-level functionality. It’s characterized by ease of use, speed and affordability.

With its WAN-Optimized Replication and Continuous Data Protection (CDP), the vendor claim that companies can achieve minimal RPO and RTO, i.e., drastically reduce the length of time virtual machines are down and the amount of data lost when disaster strikes – to just minutes.

According to the vendor, Altaro’s Augmented Inline Deduplication slashes storage costs.

For organizations with multiple sites, Altaro provides a cloud-based management platform that gives a central view of all installations. This gives Altaro IT resellers/consultants a centralized multi-tenant view across all their customers.

The vendor promises that Altaro provides 24/7 support, with a Lightning Fast Support Call Response Guarantee of <30 seconds.

Altaro Features

Deployment TypesOn-premise
Operating SystemsWindows, Hyper-V, VMware
Supported CountriesWorldwide

What is Altaro?

Altaro Hyper-V Backup, from Altaro, is a data center backup and disaster recovery solution.

What is Altaro's best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 10.

Who uses Altaro?

The most common users of Altaro are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees) and the Information Technology & Services industry.

Martin Venter | TrustRadius Reviewer
Each of the products got its own strengths. For me, it is all about the customer, and about their requirements. Altaro is very good software, and I can get protected what I need to for our customers, and that is the most important part.
The only other competitor I am personally familiar with is Carbonite. I use that for file-level backups throughout my network and it works well but while it does offer backups for virtual machines, I have never found it to be a reliable option. Jobs failed for me regularly for no apparent reason. In the handful of times I have needed support, they were helpful and straight-forward.
When we have looked for a VM backup solution we've tried some other competitors, even to backup just data and not all VM. We've tested Acronis backup that is a complete solution but more expensive and more complicated, we've also tried Nakivo but didn't convince us the administration through a web page.
We backup all VMs with both Altaro and Arcserve. Altaro is very powerful when it's time to back up and restore, but gets corrupted too often. Arcserve assures that we always have a safe copy of the VMs, but the backup and restore process is very slow. Can take days to restore a VM from Arcserve while a couple hours using Altaro.
  • Veeam Backup & Replication
  • Veeam seems like another excellent backup solution, and appears to have many similar features to Altaro VM Backup but also seemed more complicated to set up when I tried 5+ years ago.
  • Also, at the time, Veeam's licensing was very confusing where you needed to count CPU's on the physical host then VM's I think. Plus, you needed to provide a lot of details to get a trial where Altaro VM Backup seemed more straightforward to get that.
  • I have recently read somewhere that Veeam's licensing has been simplified.
October 25, 2019

Altaro - Great Value

Calin Popescu | TrustRadius Reviewer
Altaro brings value to organizations looking at other platforms. It's definitely less expensive overall than Veeam, Datto or Infrascale. The recovery solution for Altaro is very good and reliable. Any organization looking at Veeam should consider Altaro as a potential alternative - depending on requirements. Although lacking in some granular backup/recovery systems, organizations looking at the backup of VMs only - numerous VMs with an off-site cloud location already setup. Costs can potentially increase if numerous versions or long deletion policy needs to be maintained. However such costs would increase on Veeam as well. Solarwinds and Carbonite charge based on selected sizes while Asigra has an amazing deduplication system for VMs, however, Asigra can become pricey with longer deletion/versioning setups as well.