- Altaro VM Backup was chosen as our backup solution for our physical VM host servers to backup the many virtual machines we had. We wanted …
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Altaro, and make your voice heard!
Subscription License - Standard Edition
Subscription License - Unlimited Edition
Subscription License - Unlimited Plus Edition
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Altaro VM Backup is a virtual machine backup and replication solution for Hyper-V and VMware environments. The vendor reports that It is used by 50,000+ businesses worldwide.
Designed for IT departments, IT resellers, IT consultants and Managed Service Providers (MSPs), the solution provides robust, streamlined, enterprise-level functionality. It’s characterized by ease of use, speed and affordability.
With its WAN-Optimized Replication and Continuous Data Protection (CDP), the vendor claim that companies can achieve minimal RPO and RTO, i.e., drastically reduce the length of time virtual machines are down and the amount of data lost when disaster strikes – to just minutes.
According to the vendor, Altaro’s Augmented Inline Deduplication slashes storage costs.
For organizations with multiple sites, Altaro provides a cloud-based management platform that gives a central view of all installations. This gives Altaro IT resellers/consultants a centralized multi-tenant view across all their customers.
The vendor promises that Altaro provides 24/7 support, with a Lightning Fast Support Call Response Guarantee of <30 seconds.
- Supported: Fast performance
- Supported: Minimal RPO and RTO through CDP
- Supported: WAN-Optimized Replication
- Supported: Boot from Backup
|Operating Systems||Windows, Hyper-V, VMware|
Do you have Hyper-V? Yes I can back it up.
That in itself should speak for itself.
Altaro has really given a great deal into their software, not only making it easy to use, BUT also a really good and reliable product where you can support your workloads hassle-free, and super lightweight.
If you want to back up a large number of VMs, you will see those policy assignments becoming a pain, and you may face corruptions.
- Within our SMB space, it is a perfect solution as it's simple to set up and use for either VMware or Hyper-V hosts. The licensing is simple to understand, and purchasing is secure either direct from Altaro VM Backup or via their worldwide resellers.
- The options for where to backup is good, local USB drives, network drives, offsite Altaro VM Backup server, and recently Azure cloud storage.
- Testing of backups is easy, restore as clone, start Altaro VM Backup and check it (it disables the network on these) for accuracy and function.
- Data Deduplication means less storage than is being backed up, even with versioning enabled.
- The only scenario I'm not sure of its suitability would be when there are lots of physical hosts. Where it may be cumbersome track and control many physical hosts, Although Altaro has its Cloud Management Console to do precisely that. I haven't used this, so can't provide much insight.