Balsamiq Reviews

March 18, 2016

Wiring up with Balsamiq

Balsamiq is being used by 2 or 3 departments. This is helping product developers, engineers, and application designers see a basic idea and allows for them to be on the same page. It helps engineering, especially, because it is quicker than a full mockup and allows for quick turnaround with feedback allowing for bigger changes to occur early and often, rather then being locked into a design and wasting time trying to change it.
  • Quick to make changes
  • Easy to use and understand what you need
  • There are wireframes objects for almost any type of UI imaginable
  • More icons selection
  • Not having to store and keep assets with the wireframe
  • Easier to share and collaborate at the same time
If you're looking for a final mockup, Basamiq will not look as pretty as Photoshop. For displaying a basic concept or idea it is perfect. Now if only I could do full use cases in one smooth motion it would be perfect.
March 11, 2016

Balsamiq FTW!

Balsamiq is used by me, the Web Dev, in the IT department of our institution. I use it to design mockups of our external and internal websites during the review and approval process, after which I develop the sites. Balsamiq mockups has saved me a huge amount of time and effort.
  • The buttons and objects are intuitive.
  • Flexible, easy, and quick. Low learning curve compared to much pricier mockup software.
  • Highly customizable. Ability to design with a high level of granularity, which is key when dealing with older, less-techy stakeholders.
  • While I understand the comic sans font, I do wish I could use a more professional font because I usually have to explain to stakeholders that they should ignore the font.
  • Stronger right-click context menu functionality would make editing box colors and fonts simpler.
  • Pre-defined responsize-sized templates would be awesome. Just pick a starting screen res and 5 breakpoint templates are displayed...
It's particularly well-suited for small-scale projects, but I don't think it would be any less appropriate for large scale projects. I work in a hybrid museum/library/gallery with many stakeholders of varying expertise and Balsamiq has made it easy for me to provide examples to all of them with little fuss.

About Balsamiq

Balsamiq is a wireframing tool that allows users to sketch out user interfaces for websites and web and and mobile apps.