Bill.com Reviews

Claire Auslen, QuickBooks Expert | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 06, 2015

Bill.com review

I use Bill.com to enter and pay bills for my business.
  • Click and drag to enter bills
  • Cimple paying options
  • Getting rid of things that no longer belong there, for example, invoices I sent in 2013 that were paid to me directly.
  • It's hard to know what my bank balance will be after the bills are paid. Why couldn't the paid bills show up in the bank account date when they will be paid?
Wrike is probably not well suited for interior designers. They write most checks in showrooms. It is well suited for businesses that enter and pay bills monthly from their offices or from their off site bookkeepers' offices.
Read Claire Auslen, QuickBooks Expert's full review
Jennifer Corcoran | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 04, 2015

Bill.com SPS

Each financial operations associate uses Bill.com to support their individual clients. My clients use it for for AP and AR functions.
  • Bill.com makes it easy to upload vendor bills and enter into Bill.com for payment
  • It is easy to find outstanding bills and vendors
  • Easy to find uncleared checks
  • Very easy sync with QuickBooks
  • I wouldn't mind being able to cut and paste details from bills into the bill entry screen.
I am a new user to Bill.com and have only used it with AP and AR.
Read Jennifer Corcoran's full review
Kaydee Peterson | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 03, 2014

The solution for outsourced A/P!

We use Bill.com for a handful of clients and our own company. This product provides a solution for various client issues such as direct deposit for independent contractors, employee expense reimbursements, the payable approval process, recurring expense payments, and outsourced A/P management.
  • E-Payments/Direct Deposit for independent contractors
  • Sync with accounting software
  • Custom approval processes
  • Notifications
  • Faster turnaround for e-payment/direct deposit delivery
  • Customer service availability (being able to call in)
  • Better discounts for accountants panel/accountant client sign-ups
What industry are you in, where are the members of your team located (one office or all over), what are your AP challenges, what is your current approval process, etc.
Read Kaydee Peterson's full review
Erin Thorp | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 30, 2014

Save time & sanity with Bill.com!

Local Offer Network (LON) had 3 main sectors of business: Catalyst (personalization platform), Dealradar.com (aggregate daily deal website), and VoucherPro (white-label tech platform used by publishers and manufacturers to create their own prepaid offer products). In our accounting department, I used Bill.com as an organizational, calculation, and pay-tool for our VoucherPro clients to assure local area merchants be paid for the daily deals that were sold on our various platforms. Bill.com was a one-stop solution for LON that easily integrated with the platform of our white-label website, systematically tracked bills & payments, and (most importantly) significantly reduced manual labor.
  • Bill.com's tracking of sent checks and instant access to proof of cashed/uncashed checks was a Tremendous help for LON when dealing with merchants who had claimed to never have received payment. I could easily login to the Bill.com system, take a screenshot of the cashed check (complete with signature on the back), and email the merchant the solid proof. This method is obviously MUCH preferred over having to call your bank, get put on hold, and eventually track down proof of a check being cashed that they then can can inconveniently snail-mail you several days later. This is the age of Technology, and Bill.com does it right.
  • Bill.com's customer support team is second to none. They were always very patient, well-trained, and well-informed problem solvers.
  • I truly believe Bill.com's biggest aspiration was for their product to work for US in every way possible. If we came to them with an idea to improve the product for our needs, they always listened, and nearly always provided a viable and timely solution. It's often difficult to have a real voice in the internet/e-commerce industry, so it was very refreshing for me to work with a company who cared so much about our success as a company, and bent over backwards to accommodate our growing needs.
  • It's been roughly 9 months since I've used bill.com, so I unfortunately can't remember any of the functionality issues I had experienced. I don't think any of Bill.com's features were hard to use...and even if they were or a one-off situation came up, the customer support team was so helpful that they would be able to teach you in no time. The only complaint I can think of at the moment is that support was not available late in the evenings or on the weekends, which was frustrating when getting stuck on a problem while burning the midnight oil. But perhaps support hours have expanded since then, I am not sure.
  • One other thing I thought of that Bill.com may or may not have resolved by now, is that when you close a client company, Bill.com provides a CD-rom disc (for purchase) that allows you to access all of the information from that specific client after the Bill.com account has been closed (vendor information, check status, etc). However, being that none of the laptops in our office had disc drives, this company file disc was completely useless to us. It would have been more convenient to have either 1) USB version of the company file, or more preferred option, 2) Have Bill.com convert the online account to a read-only version so that you can still access the client information by logging in from anywhere there is internet access, but just don't have the ability to edit any of the information (which is not needed anyway).
I think Bill.com was very useful and appropriate for the large-volume billing scenario we had a Local Offer Network (LON). As far as smaller-volume businesses, I'm not sure I could see the benefit of using Bill.com in integration with QuickBooks or some other accounting software, in terms of saving time and labor---I do recall getting a lot of sync-errors with QBO, which were a bit time-consuming to fix, but it's highly possible that those issues have been addressed on the Bill.com side by now.

A friend of mine was worried about hiring a new bookkeeper and too much information getting into the wrong hands, so I actually did recommend Bill.com in order for him to gain more control over account access, and not having to worry about over-access due to Bill.com's intuitive control settings---so I do think it can be very appropriate and valuable for that purpose. But I suppose it's ultimately a matter of case-by-case analysis to see if the benefit outweighs the cost/cost-savings for each business.
Read Erin Thorp's full review
Jackie Compton | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 27, 2014

Bill.com streamlines bill payment

I own a small accounting firm and we serve companies in a broad range of industries with revenues typically less than $5million. I especially like bill.com for its ability to streamline payables and assist companies with cash flow management. It is also an effective tool allowing companies to seamlessly collaborate with an outside accounting firm.
  • Bill payment is clearly bill.com's strong suit. Getting bills into bill.com and paid is quite seamless. Scan, submit, code, schedule. done.
  • Integration with Quickbooks is seamless. Clearing errors is typically easy. There is no rekeying information into Quickbooks. It quite literally is integration with the click of a button. I am working on integration with Xero and am finding the integration to require a bit more work.
  • Simplifying the bill payment process. Moving through a batch of invoices to pay in Quickbooks is quite simple, and it is a great paperless data retention tool. Once the image is scanned and coded, you can route it for approval electronically, schedule for payment and then Bill.com issues the payment. If you need to access the bill later, you can find the document easily and even see the front and back of the cancelled check all in one place.
  • While I think the cost of a traditional paper process is higher, I do think Bill.com is a bit pricey. You need to have at least 15-20 checks or more to enter per month to have a cost savings.
  • Integration with Xero requires a third party. Would be better if the connection was direct with Xero.
  • It seems like for debit/credit card transactions there would be an easier/quicker way to get the documents processed in Bill.com so Bill.com can act as a central data storage location. There should be one go to location for all payments issued by a company.
It is not good for clients who don't have any cash because it slows down efficiency, however, because of the visibility to outstanding bills given by bill.com, it does possess the ability to help clients improve cash flow.
Read Jackie Compton's full review
Scott Tarnosky | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 24, 2014

Bill.com review

The whole organization utilizes the software. We selected the software to digitize the entire A/P process from input through review to final payment.
  • Web based access
  • Easy of use. The software is simple to install and maintain.
  • Flexible. We don't have the ability to link our back end to the software but we are still able inport/export data with ease.
  • Maintaining the G/L codes (syncing them with our accounting package) is cumbersome.
  • The reporting tools are not robust. There a few canned reports. More flexibility would be appreciated.
This product is better for small to mid-sized companies.
Read Scott Tarnosky's full review
November 11, 2015

Chill and pay your bill

As a bookkeeping firm, we set up Bill.com for our clients to ease up the process of paying bills and receiving payments. Most of the bookkeepers who have multiple clients work mostly remotely so Bill.com eliminates the process of check runs thus saving multiple trips to the client's office. Moreover, Bill.com stores all the bills providing a convenient database for clients and bookkeepers.
  • The inbox is a convenient way of receiving bills as it extracts attachments from the incoming email converting them to the bills ready to process, it has an option to fax the bill directly to the inbox, and, my personal favorite, convenient drag-and-drop option for easily uploading documents to the inbox.
  • OCR feature is amazing, it converts images to text and this enhances the search option making it easy to find documents by typing something that's in them into the search field.
  • The "Most Recently Used" feature is a very convenient tool to quickly getting back to the previous documents that you have worked on.
  • Bill.com could improve on account selection when entering bills. In other words, if you do not have in mind a specific account, you will most likely have to go through the whole chart of accounts to find the suitable one. The type-in search is a bit too specific as typing in a parent account does not show its sub accounts if their name does not start the same way as the parent account.
For the bookkeepers, who have multiple clients and can not afford the time for check runs, Bill.com is a perfect solution.
August 19, 2015

In love with bill.com

My company offers outsourced accounting services. Bill.com is one of the technology solutions in our bundled service package. The main problem it addresses is managing Accounts Payable for our clients. We are no longer shuffling paper; no checks to print, no envelopes to stuff, no stamps to adhere, and no paper to file. It's a dream!
  • As mentioned previously, it's a paperless solution. That alone is a huge selling point!
  • My clients can have multi-level approval processes in place, should that be important to them. (such as department supervisor first, and CEO as the second approver)
  • Vendor payments can be set up ahead of time, so that you will never have another late payment again.
  • Each client has a dedicated fax number and a dedicated email for their bill.com account, making it easy to put A/P processes in place for clients and vendors alike.
  • On the A/R side, invoicing customers and being paid electronically is fantastic! I personally use bill.com to automatically invoice my clients each month; and I'm automatically paid as well.
  • Accounts Receivable is good, but not great. The biggest problem for clients is attempting to manage A/R from the bill.com portal when their staff does not have access to the accounting software. In QB, jobs are added as sub-names to Customers for easy management of multiple projects. In bill.com those jobs are synced (and appear to be) separate Customers, not jobs associated with Customers.
  • I'm not a fan of the reports in bill.com, but I don't personally see that as an issue because I can run reports in the accounting software.
Bill.com is well suited for a business that pays many vendors. It is not well suited for a business that processes 15 or less vendor payments per month; however, using the A/R side to invoice clients and get paid electronically can more than make up for that shortfall.
April 03, 2015

Bill.com from sales perspective for a bookkeeping company

Bill.com is a very important part of how I sell our services at Supporting Strategies. I speak about how it streamlines the bill paying process for our clients (we are bookkeepers).
  • Builds in work flow for bill routing and approval.
  • Eliminates paper check runs.
  • Makes tracking the bills easy.
  • From a sales perspective, there's nothing about Bill.com that I think should change.
  • Your technical folks could answer this question better.
If a company just can't grasp the idea of having us process their payables electronically, it might not be a fit. Sometimes, some companies just want things done the manual way. Also, if there are not enough bills to justify cost of Bill.com (which is rare), it might not be a fit.
June 26, 2015

Bill.com - Good product, unprofessional company

We're a startup business that's growing rapidly. We needed a way to pay our contractors that integrated with QuickBooks. Bill.com seemed to fit the bill (so to speak). We tried it for a month and it worked well for us. However, six days after the trial ended and before our next pay run, I received a terse and unprofessional overdue notice. Three days later I received the same notice simply re-forwarded with no other explanation.

If this is how Bill.com treats potential customers, what is its customer support going to be like? I for one am not signing up to find out.

• Bill.com provided an efficient way for us to pay our contractors on time.
  • Integrated well with QuickBooks.
  • First impressions matter. I'd rather work with a company that acts professionally even if it means I have to spend time researching alternative products.
Bill.com has a good product, if you can overlook how unprofessional the company is. I would never recommend it because my feeling is you need trust in a company that provides your financial software.
May 15, 2015

Fast, Reliable & Paperless Option

Bill.com is used across the entire company and is considered the preferred method for A/P and A/R processing. Bill.com streamlines the A/P, A/R process so our clients can focus on their business. It is a benefit to our company because we operate our business remotely and Bill.com allows us to efficiently manage the A/P and A/R functions without needing to be physically in the office.
  • Paperless storage of bills and other important documents, as well as, easy uploading - either directly in Bill.com or e-mail
  • Easy setup of users and specific roles and payment audit trail solves issues with paperless internal controls
  • ACH/ePayments allows payments to be received faster than a typical A/P collection process
  • International ACH payment processing
  • Improve report customization
  • Ability to download and export (Excel) Payables>Pay screen to help with cash flow forecasting
  • Improve detail on sync error status - not enough explanation on sync errors. Once you select the error (i.e. bill) it brings you to the transactions, and even if you don't fix the error it states the error was resolved, BUT the error was not resolved. Very confusing.
Bill.com provides a paperless option for processing A/P and A/R while adhering to internal controls guidelines.
April 06, 2015

Bill.com Vendor Bills & Payments

I use Bill.com for a few different clients I work with. It is used for the majority of all AP transactions for each of my clients. I deal mostly with managing the Bill.com sync to QuickBooks and resolving any resulting errors. Bill.com has made it more efficient and convenient to pay vendors. It is also very helpful given that I (their accounting support) work remotely so we always have easy access to copies of vendor bills, etc.
  • Bill.com makes it very easy to store and retrieve copies of vendor bills electronically making it easy to work remotely and more efficiently for all.
  • Bill.com syncs well with QuickBooks Enterprise avoiding duplicate work.
  • Bill.com makes it very easy for payers to approve and process bill payments; no manual payments to set up via a bank account, no manual checks to print and mail, etc.
  • When transitioning from QuickBooks Enterprise to QuickBooks Online, the conversion process with Bill.com can be very cumbersome and time consuming. We lost a lot of hours in time spent fixing all variances between Bill.com and QuickBooks due to the conversion process.
  • Bill.com is not able to handle three layers of hierarchy in customer accounts when syncing with QuickBooks Online. This was not an issue when we were using QuickBooks Enterprise. There is a manual workaround we can follow but it adds time to the process and is manual which brings the potential for human error.
If using QuickBooks Online, ensure you are only using sub-customers within customer accounts and not projects below the sub-customers. They have submitted a request to try to resolve this issue with the updated version of the sync with QuickBooks online that is currently in process.
April 03, 2015

I Heart Bill.com!

Our company is a virtual accounting/bookkeeping business, therefore Bill.com fits into our operational model perfectly. We use this for most of our clients to help manage their accounts payable and accounts receivable, although I personally have not used the accounts receivable module. This addresses such business problems such as not being in a physical office with our clients. It makes it so easy for the client to send the bills to Bill.com themselves, or send them to us and we import them into Bill.com, and also provides visibility to their bills no matter where they are.
  • Having all of the bills and bill payment history available online makes it so much easier for our clients, and ourselves as well. It takes away that need to be in one physical location where the bills are kept, or where there is one computer with the software on it that keeps all of the bills/bill payment information.
  • Importing bills into Bill.com is a breeze - I love the drag and drop feature! Bill.com makes it so easy to get the bills loaded and paid. My clients can also e-mail the bills to Bill.com themselves, or have me do it, and I really like how you can opt to have the e-mail as a page as well, in case you want to attach it to the bill as back-up.
  • Bill.com's chat feature for their support is another fantastic feature. I highly recommend my clients use it if they ever need any help. Bill.com support employees are always friendly, the wait is never very long at all (1-2 minutes is normal), and they are extremely knowledgeable with not only their product, but making sure your books are being affected properly as well.
  • The zoom feature on the bills will zoom in, however the view is still blurry. It would be nice to be able to increase it so I could read it, but not lose visibility.
  • When e-mails that have links, not attachments, for bills are forwarded to Bill.com, the e-mail is turned into a text document. It would be nice to have the link stay there so I could just click on it from Bill.com to see the bill copy, rather than opening from my e-mail, saving the document to my Desktop, and importing it into Bill.com.
The only situation I have run into where Bill.com is less appropriate would be for the clients that only have a couple of recurring bills they pay a month, in which they could just set up auto-payments with their vendors to make the payments. Other than that, I cannot imagine Bill.com not working for anyone. I have one client who processes about 100 bills per week through Bill.com and this has helped us greatly with organizing their payables!
February 04, 2015

No more wrestling paper, lost checks and payment approvals!

My company uses Bill.com to provide outsourced accounts payable services to our bookkeeping clients. Additionally we have found that Bill.com is a cost effective paperless document management tool. For our business it solves the problem of needing to issue paper checks and track down paper receipts. With Bill.com we prepare invoices and bills to be paid, the client approves via Bill.com and an electronic payment or paper check is sent out accordingly.
  • Sending direct deposit payments to vendors. Either the vendor can sign up for a free Bill.com account or enter their direct deposit authorization manually and for a $0.50 fee payments can be made electronically. No more checks lost in the mail.
  • Easily allow for multiple people to approve a bill before payment. This is a great feature for smaller organizations that still need a lot of oversight, such as a non-profit.
  • Bill.com does a great job with document management. Documents can be attached at a transaction level, company/vendor as well as a few other options. They are stored in PDF format and can be easily printed if needed. This eliminates hunting down past years A/P files to double check charges.
  • To use Bill.com for Accounts Receivable means needing to sign up for a merchant account with their preferred provider, PayTrace. While this company may indeed have great rates as they promise, it's a bit aggravating to have a second merchant account in the mix.
  • Duplicate vendor and client entries happen on occasion as a result of syncing between Bill.com and the accounting software. Most of the time merging the contacts is easy, but occasionally a hiccup occurs that requires tech support to untangle.
  • There is no mobile app, but instead a mobile site that works fairly well to access a handful of Bill.com functions.
If your business would like to gain control over processing accounts payable and operate in a paperless environment, Bill.com is a great solution. There are built in users with different permission settings so general data input tasks can be assigned to appropriate staff, while the final approval decision on any invoice can be reserved for those within the firm with the proper authority. Add in that payments can be sent electronically, your firm is now saving on postage, check stock, and valuable space previously taken up by drawers of AP files.
September 25, 2014

Great for A/P, but A/R weak. Stellar support.

We use Bill.com for two things:

• Accounts payable -- across the company we input all invoices into Bill.com (or have them sent to an email address that forwards to our Bill.com inbox). From there our (outsourced) accounting service enters the invoice information, encodes the vendors (or adds them) which is all synced with Quickbooks Online. Then we're able to route the invoices for approval by the appropriate persons within our company, schedule payment, etc.
  • Expense reports -- we have all our employees setup as 'vendors' within Bill.com and have them send expense reports to the same email inbox. This makes routing / approving /paying expense reports very simple (although we do have to explain to people who are also approvers/bill.com users that they'll be both a 'user' and a 'vendor')
As a 10 person company (and I've used it at a ~130 person company), this allows us to dedicate nearly zero time and money to dealing with payables. It's a huge return on a very modest expense.
  • Bill.com is a very inexpensive solution for paperless accounts payable
  • It syncs seamlessly with quickbooks online in both directions (you can add vendors in Bill.com at time of first invoice for instance)
  • Bill.com has good workflow / approval routing capability, which is both simple to use and is extremely helpful for distributed teams like ours.
  • The accounts receivable function was weak (as of late 2011)
  • Onboarding employees as vendors (for direct deposit reimbursement of expenses) can be a bit odd to explain. Bill.com should probably have a special case concept of a "employee vendor" and change the language and terminology in the interface. That said it's possible that we are using it for an unintended use case (expense reimbursement processing) but it works well enough.
  • There are a few nits I'd pick with the interface, such as adding multiple pages from the inbox to a single bill, and I'd like easier quick searching of the payables pipeline (an interactive single-step filter by type-ahead by vendor). None of these are showstoppers though.
Bill.com provides an excellent platform for small (and/or growing) businesses who want a paperless invoice and workflow process that is simple to setup and administer. Our outside accounting firm as begun recommending it to their clients as well after seeing how much time and effort it saves.
December 18, 2014

Great system!

Bill.com is being used by our department. We recommend it to our clients to make the AP process more efficient. AP is much quicker to enter and payments are easier to make, especially because it can be done anywhere and at anytime. The system also allows my organization and our clients to be paperless. We advise our vendors to submit their invoices directly to our bill.com email address.
  • Address problems - if you ever have any type of issue with the system, small or large, there is a chat feature. Someone is always available during normal business hours to help you and the problem is resolved very quickly.
  • Break out pages of an invoices - if you send a bulk file with multiple invoices, it is extremely easy to break out and choose which pages you'd wish to include with each invoice.
  • Filing - if you ever receive a tax document, statement, or other misc. document not related to an AP invoice, it can be easily filed. The filings can be vendor or company specific.
  • Payment dates - the system gives you the dates when the vendor will receive their payment.
  • Extremely user friendly.
  • Inventory module - you are unable to receive inventory and convert PO's to invoices. You will need to duplicate efforts because you'll need to enter the invoice into bill.com to be paid but then you will need to enter into your accounting system to properly receive the inventory.
  • Sync errors - the system is very sensitive and sync errors are common. However, the support staff is always available for help and the errors quickly go away.
  • Slow payment processing - payments aren't processed until the next business day and it takes a couple of days for the vendor to receive payment. Emergency payments can't be made out of the system.
Bill.com is not good for you if: 1. You have a lot of inventory because you'll be duplicating the process, 2. Make a lot of same-day payments, 3. Do not like paperless systems.
Bill.com is good for you if: 1. Have a lot of routine vendors, especially if they are always asking for status updates, because Bill.com will send an email when their payment is processed, 2. Manage cash flow, you can see exactly how much will come out of your account on a certain day, 3. Have multiple users that need to view the same info; each person can have their own log in.
October 15, 2012

Works great for A/P but doesn't support international.

• It’s really useful for our stage of company to automate processes, increase use of staff accountant’s time.
  • It is really easy to use and I have not had any issues with it.
  • I like the e-payment feature.
  • It provides a good repository of If you need to do research and see when payments were made, you can see the invoice and when it was paid.
  • You have reports to support payment The reporting is pretty good.
  • International electronic payments are not currently supported.
• Very impressed with the tool, helped automate our processes and save us our time.
• It is a good product for our company at this stage.

About Bill.com

Bill.com is a an online service for small to midsize businesses which provides a central dashboard for managing Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and cash flow management. It syncs with all major accounting systems like QuickBooks, Sage, Intaact, and NetSuite.

Bill.com offers four pricing options. The $20 per user, per month Essentials package contains payable OR receivable management with unlimited document storage and workflow approval. The $30 dollar Team plan syncs with accounting software (e.g. Quickbooks) and has some analytic features. The $50 Corporate package supports AR & AP and has more robust Workflow options. Finally the tailor-made Enterprise level syncs with other popular software (e.g. Salesforce) and grants API access to Bill.com.

Bill.com Integrations