https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/gv/rb/XI7SESF1B71F.JPEGA BI tool that actually delivers!Dashboard presentation and updates. Allows the user to "run" varying reports and see data based on comprehensive prompts. Reduces the time necessary to run "more" reports. Saves time, improves accuracy and consistency in reviewing data. Designing reports. Simple reports take minutes yet offer extreme flexibility when used within the dashboard. Reduces response time to internal and external clients. Data Management. The process to setup and manage data requires planning and accuracy. Because of this, data is stable.,Copying Dashboard Prompts (filters). While the product has very flexible prompts and the ability to add them readily, you can not copy prompts from one dashboard page to another. You have to either copy the dashboard or manually add the prompts. User Management: The system provides a robust set of security layers for data, users, etc. For user security, the process requires more screens than it appears to need.,8,,9,Dashboard view of pharmacy utilization trends for clients Analytics for key performance indicators Auditing of pharmacy utilization on behalf of clients,,Implemented in-house Professional services company,7,In-person training Self-taught,8,Yes and no. Some aspects of the reporting and dashboard were easy to learn on your own. The data management side was another issue. There is no way I would have been able to setup the data side without training and assistance. This may be more of knowledge issue on my end, but even with others, the data/back end side required training.,Yes,8,9Birst almost live accessBirst is used as a delivery mechanism to display data to our client. We collect data on mobile device usage patterns, as well as analyst forecasts across many technology areas, and use Birst to visualise this data via dashboards that clients access from our website.,Connects directly to many types of external data sources, enabling us to plug into data where it already exists Visualiser provides a user friendly interface for non-tech users to build their own databases,Connectivity between the live sources frequently drops and does not reconnect automatically Cannot add dynamic titles to reports - so although can create a dynamic text box, this title cannot be exported along with the report Designer runs query as soon as an attribute is dropped on screen - would be useful if you know you need to add another 4, to be able to disable the query execution until all items have been added,6,sql analysis services,9,Birst is used by several hundred client customers, around 20 internal users, and designed by 3 internal IT Birst admins,5,6,5,2,Basic dashboarding of KPI's Client facing data access,Visualisation of data analysis Presentation of data in visual format for clients, delivered via internet Analysis tool for data held in SQL Analysis Services,Live access connections to SQL Analysis services cubes in MDX and Tabular format using prompts to enable custom searches of data,Microsoft Power BI, Tableau Desktop, Microsoft SQL Server,Yes,Price Product Features Product Usability,Additional products, considerations and use cases would be considered if we were evaluating today. At the time it was only a couple of people who chose the product based on one of their specific requirements, and other users / products were then crow-barred into that solution.,Implemented in-house,No,Change management was minimal,VM that is provided is restricted to Windows 2008 - no support for 2012 or higher Cannot integrate with our own host providers as there is no real "install" Permissions didn't seem to integrate with our AD,5,Self-taught,Product is not intuitive, and frequently seems to require clicking back to different pages just to get the product to save recent changes.,7,we have learnt that the memory on the appliance server is the crucial specification to address when configuring Birst,No - we have not done any customization to the interface,No - we have not done any custom code,We are looking to configure load balancing across multiple appliance servers via NLB but have not yet implement this,3,Yes,The only time we have felt valued has been at the "Birst Forward" conference in SFO, when we were given the opportunity to meet with more senior development team members who actually seemed to understand our issues. Prior to that, the only exception support has come when issues have been escalated to a level that resulted in staff on the West coast agreeing to phone calls at 5am their time to overlap with the UK,Creating dynamic charts Click through functionality,changing page layouts re-sizing charts dynamic text changing data connections working with external data sources via live connection,3,6,3,5,SQL SSAS Corporate website,none planned,File import/export ETL tools,5,-,7,5,Number of appliances, and ongoing license fees,Identify what support / user focus groups are available for the people who will actually be using the software,Yes,Better stability of the Live Access connection,unknown,No,NoBirsting with BI SuccessBirst was selected as our single business intelligence solution solving our "single source of truth" challenge moving away from spreadmarts and individual definitions of the truth. We started our Birst development as support for individual functional departments [Sales Analytics, Team [HR], Finance and Service/Warranty]. The current year objective is to pull together the integrated organizational view across functional areas.,Single solution, integrated end to end [ETL, database, Administration, Design, Dashboards presentation]. Very stable application - uptime is great, software upgrades seamless. Administration Tools: users, groups, security, customization very intuitive. Quick start. Pace of introduction of new features. Community sharing portal is an excellent resource of Knowledge Base documentation, and discussions of challenges/resolutions by other customers. Community is also used to submit ideas and enhancement requests, so that voting raises top recommendations, Birst listens and responds. Birst defines their success as achieved by our success.,Ability to find things in Think Tank Community, need a better way to keep similar topics grouped, inconsistent tags. Community: assumption that this is the first place for answers to issues; which causes time extension for resolution of business challenge. Training: need some freebee's like single topic Lunch & Learn webinars,10,,10,50 licenses, 32 assigned, 10 active users 22 periodic users Expectation is that periodic users will move to active users as we deploy more cross departmental data visualization.,10,10,32,2,Interactive standardized view for a Sales Managers dashboard: specific for their Region, focusing in on right data, right format, right timing so that they can take action and effect the future results rather than just dealing with static reports of what has happened Cross functional analysis Mobile, dependent upon organizational objectives,Comparison of Actuals to Plan, is the variance increasing or decreasing Historical Trends: what does history tell us about a specific element or in comparison to other elements Projections: what's on the books scheduled for when Efficiencies of reporting, Automatiion of report distribution: having the ability to create it once but view it via many parameters, auto distributing of reports to those not directly on Birst,Not unexpected nor innovative, but valuable to us - ability to support a fact driven sales planning cycle [sales rep specifics, Region overview, Total Sales Plans],Yes,Price Product Features Product Usability Vendor Reputation Analyst Reports Third-party Reviews,We matrixed key features and functionality and as stated earlier within an hour we were confident that we had found the right solution provider for our company.,Vendor implemented Implemented in-house,Yes,Change management was minimal,Internal data cleanzing! This is a huge component that tends to get overlooked. Data visualization can uncover a lot of junk data.,10,8,Yes,Too many to select just one. Birst Tech support partners with customer to understand the challenge and then to teach with explanation of resolution. If the topic has not yet been covered in The Think Tank Community, they will also create a Knowledge Base document so that others may benefit from the efforts.,Dashboard designs, especially with Dashboards 2.0, exceptionally easy Data refresh, whether manual upload or automatic with BirstConnect, easy to understand Love the toggle between chart and data, allows us to present data as data visualization form, but allows end user comfort of quick access to rows/columns view too,When building custom expressions - error alerts don't guide you understanding or discovering corrective actions [e.g. missing punctuation settings],Yes, but I don't use it,9,10A Great Product with Even Better Customer ServiceReport building is quick and easy. Creating a data model for a reporting structure and data warehouse is easy. Our users can access it whenever they want, whenever they want using either a computer or iPad. Birst seems like it can do almost anything either myself or the users can think of. When my users ask me for things I don't know how to do, I typically just say "sure", assuming that it's possible and that I'll figure it out. I'm sure this will come back to bite me one of these days, but it hasn't yet.,There were a number of "quality of life" issues, I'll call them, when we first got started on the Appliance version - for example, upgrading was very clunky. Those issues have been cleaned up and I have no complaints about them now. Birst seems to do a really good job of listening to their customers and giving them what they want. The Birst Mobile iPad app doesn't have the full functionality of the browser-based version, but I understand that this is being fixed with HTML 5. In fact it may already be fixed - I know that some of the HTML 5 implementation is done, but I'm waiting for it to be fully in place before making the switch.,10,,10,10,10,20,1,Managing reports is so much easier now. The time it takes me to put out our scheduled reports is basically zero now, and they all have visualization, which was too much work to do on every report before. Ad hoc reporting has become much easier as well. Often times when I've made ad hocs in the past, I get asked to make them again with different date ranges, etc., either right then or a few weeks/months later. With Birst, users can select their own data ranges and chart types for the reports I build them, as well as bring in additional metrics or swap out existing metrics. Without going into too much detail, users can do this in a way where the changes are temporary and only visible to them, or by changing the report itself, depending on the permissions you want to give users. The point is that unlike before, I typically only have to do a report once and the users are empowered to make whatever minor changes to it they want, saving me time and getting them their results faster. Birst makes data warehousing easy. I don't have any sort of previous training or experience when it comes to data warehouses. After a few conversations with Birst tech support and a couple classes they offer, I'm building out a data warehouse by myself, and it's going fairly well. Our Customer Success Manager is also great about getting me the help I need when I run into issues I can't figure out. For a company with less than 100 people like ours, having one person able to totally manage the data warehouse and reporting, and still have time for other things is huge.,,Implemented in-house Professional services company,6,In-person training Self-taught,10,A big mistake we made in our initial implementation was not getting me any training on it. The product is intuitive and I did figure out a great deal on my own, but there's really no substitute for formal training with these sorts of things. As I've said before, I have no experience in this area, so maybe somebody used to this sort of thing wouldn't need the training as much as I did, but even then I would recommend getting the training anyway. Being able to network with other customers and various Birst employees is enough to justify the cost, let alone what you'll actually learn.,No,8,10,10,8,We'd eventually like to plug it into Google Analytics.Great Product with Great SupportIt combines data from disparate data systems so that it can all be viewed in one place The drilling and filtering capabilities are outstanding! We've really been able to get to the lower level of detail that we needed, but could not get, before we started using Birst. Once created, Birst updates all by itself. No downloading, exporting, or re-aggregating of data to update reports.,Report designer user interface is poor. For example, Birst has a feature that allows report designers to build and save custom expressions. This is helpful because, rather than having to rewrite the expression each time it's needed, the designer can simply select it from the saved expression box and drop it into the report. However, there appears to be no rhyme or reason to the organization of the expression box. It's not alphabetized and you can't categorize expressions by creating folders. This can lead to frustration when time is wasted just trying to find the custom expression that you need. Creating new reports is a clumsy process. Data exports are sloppy. This is due more to the lack of flexibility in the designer UI than to the actual exporting capability. For example, when creating a data table, you often need the label to be a larger size than the column because the label requires descriptive text while the column is just a value. However, in the Birst designer UI, you cannot independently change the size of a measure label and the size of its corresponding column--they have to be the same size.,It's hard to quantify the time savings and improved decision making that occurred because of Birst, but it is substantial.,10,9,30,1,Reporting that used to be done in excel is now being done in Birst.,,Vendor implemented Implemented in-house Professional services company,9,In-person training,9,I'm not sure of the extent of customization my company did.,10,7,9,8,Salesforce.,None that I'm aware of.,,Again, not qualified to comment on this question.
Windows, Mac
Birst

Birst Reviews

Birst
Top Rated Award
Showing 6 of 178 Birst ratings and reviews.
Timothy Humphreys profile photo
April 13, 2016

Birst Review: "A BI tool that actually delivers!"

Tim Welch profile photo
February 11, 2016

User Review: "Birst almost live access"

Usability

Nowhere near as user friendly as other tools. Part of the problem is combination of Flash and HTML options, although this is configured at a user level rather than a dashboard level. As the features in each option are not the same, this can mean users working in one format cannot utilise dashboards that are more suited for the other format.
Read Tim Welch's full review
Deborah Stillwell Judy profile photo
October 01, 2015

User Review: "Birsting with BI Success"

Usability

Quick start for the novice, but powerful enough to satisfy the programmer.
Read Deborah Stillwell Judy's full review
Brett Mooberry profile photo
November 12, 2014

Birst Review: "A Great Product with Even Better Customer Service"

Usability

Having no background with this kind of program, I've found it to be a very intuitive piece of software; I can generally figure things out on my own. Easy to use and figure out doesn't mean it's shallow though - it's definitely a powerful and robust program.
Read Brett Mooberry's full review
Scott Gabriel profile photo
August 30, 2013

Birst Review: "Great Product with Great Support"

Usability

It can be clunky, but there have been noticeable improvements with each new release. It's obvious that they are working hard to improve the usability.
Read Scott Gabriel's full review
February 25, 2014

Birst Review: "First product ever purchased where promise was fully delivered."

Usability

I would like to see additional usability put into the ETL scripting. Recently, Birst added a nice function reference inline to formula creation which has kept me from having to return to documentation so much. The same in ETL would be very beneficial. The interface problems related to the Flex framework are being addressed in a rewrite to HTML 5, but for now they are still a hindrance to a higher usability rating.

Pixel Perfect reports (67)
6.7
Customizable dashboards (76)
Report Formatting Templates (59)
6.3
Drill-down analysis (77)
Formatting capabilities (76)
6.6
Integration with R or other statistical packages (28)
6.4
Report sharing and collaboration (67)
Publish to Web (51)
Publish to PDF (66)
Report Versioning (9)
Report Delivery Scheduling (65)
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.) (70)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization (56)
Predictive Analytics (34)
5.7
Multi-User Support (named login) (68)
Role-Based Security Model (67)
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete) (67)
Responsive Design for Web Access (51)
Dedicated iOS Application (34)
Dedicated Android Application (24)
Dashboard / Report / Visualization Interactivity on Mobile (42)

About Birst

Birst Networked BI is a BI product that promises to enable a single view of data and eliminate data silos. Additionally, decentralized teams and individual users can augment this shared analytic fabric with their own local data, without compromising data governance. This consistency comes from a unified semantic layer, which maintains common definitions and key metrics, no matter where users sit.

Birst achieves Networked BI through a 2-tier architecture that aligns back-end enterprise data with line-of-business or local, edge data. Birst’s Automated Data Refinement extracts data from any source (data stores, applications, warehouses, big data, and unstructured external sources) into a unified semantic layer. The result is a consistent view that enables users with self-service analytics through dashboards, reporting, visual discovery, mobile tools, and predictive analytics. Birst Open Client Interface also offers integration with Tableau, Excel and R.

Birst goes to market in two primary ways:

• Direct, for enterprises using Birst for analytics on internal data to drive improved business outcomes
  • Embedded, for all size companies who offer data (analytics) products, by embedding and white-labeling Birst capabilities into their products

Birst’s product is packaged in 3 available formats:

• Platform and per-user fee
  • By Department or Business Unit
  • By end-customer (for embedded scenarios)

Birst Features

BI Platform Features
Has featureAdministration via Windows App
Has featureAdministration via MacOS App
Has featureAdministration via Web Interface
Has featureLive Connection to External Data
Has featureSnapshot of External Data
Has featureIn-memory data model
Has featureOLAP (Pre-processed cube representation)
Has featureROLAP (SQL-layer querying)
Has featureMulti-Data Source Reporting (Blending)
Has featureData warehouse / dictionary layer
Has featureETL Capability
Has featureETL Scheduler
Supported Data Sources Features
Has featureMS Excel Workbooks
Has featureText Files (CSV, etc)
Has featureOracle
Has featureDrill-down analysis
Has featureFormatting capabilities
Has featurePredictive modeling
Has featureIntegration with R or other statistical packages
Has featureReport sharing and collaboration
Report Output and Scheduling Features
Has featurePublish to Web
Has featurePublish to PDF
Has featureOutput Raw Supporting Data
Does not have featureReport Versioning
Has featureReport Delivery Scheduling
Does not have featureDelivery to Remote Servers
Data Discovery and Visualization Features
Has featurePre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
Has featureLocation Analytics / Geographic Visualization
Has featurePredictive Analytics
Has featureSupport for Machine Learning models
Does not have featurePattern Recognition and Data Mining
Has featureIntegration with R or other statistical packages
Access Control and Security Features
Has featureMulti-User Support (named login)
Has featureRole-Based Security Model
Has featureMultiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
Has featureReport-Level Access Control
Has featureTable-Level Access Control (BI-layer)
Has featureField-Level Access Control (BI-layer)
Does not have featureSingle Sign-On (SSO)
Mobile Capabilities Features
Does not have featureREST API
Does not have featureJavascript API
Does not have featureiFrames
Does not have featureJava API
Does not have featureThemeable User Interface (UI)
Does not have featureCustomizable Platform (Open Source)

Birst Screenshots

Birst Videos (3)

Watch Birst Networked BI - no more silos.

Watch The VP of Supply Chain at Citrix Systems on their Birst-architected digital supply chain

Watch CIO of CPG Reckitt Benckiser on Birst

Birst Downloadables

Birst Competitors

Birst Technical Details

Deployment Types:On-premise, SaaS
Operating Systems: Windows, Mac
Mobile Application:Apple iOS, Android, Mobile Web
Supported Countries:All
Supported Languages: Arabic, English, Dutch, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese (Brazil), Simplified Chinese, Spanish