Certify Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Our outside salespeople use Certify to submit monthly expense reports for reimbursement. We have about 25 persons using Certify. They typically incur mileage, travel expenses, and some entertaining expenses. Prior to using Certify, we were using paper reports and attaching original receipts to each monthly reimbursement submission. Keeping up with all that paper was cumbersome.
  • Direct deposit reimbursements are very fast. Our users get their funds very quickly.
  • Reporting capabilities within Certify are excellent. Many reports are available and can be created in Excel format for further manipulation when necessary.
  • Support, when needed, has been very good. The knowledgebase is helpful and phone support is available and responsive.
  • The ability to add a receipt after a report has been submitted would be helpful. This would simplify processing as opposed to disapproving the report and sending it back to the user for correction and re-submission.
  • Though not a fault of Certify, our users drive multiple destinations every day, rather than occasional trips from city A to city B. Therefore, capturing mileage is a time-consuming process for our users.
Certify works well for organizations where the same group of employees incurs expenses on a regular basis. It would not be best for situations where various employees incur expenses on a less consistent basis, due to the effort involved in setting up accounts for those employees and training them on the process.
Certify is used in our organization to help manage travel expenses by employees and purchases made by the company purchasing card. It is used by the Sales Department mainly because of travel, but other departments use Certify when they purchase items with the company card. This helps keep track of every expense every employee makes and makes sure they are all accounted for.
  • Certify helps organize all business transactions made from employees.
  • Certify helps keep a paper trail of every expense made on a company card.
  • Certify is easy to organize all expenses made for a user.
  • Certify helps employees keep track of all their spending.
  • The merge feature for transactions and receipts doesn't always capture the right amount which can cause confusion.
  • The problems that occur on Certify should be easier to solve instead of emailing for help.
  • It is hard to search for a specific problem sometimes.
Certify is well suited for businesses that have a lot of employees that travel. Our business is global so there are many employees traveling from country to country to get work done. All their expenses would be hard to keep track of if we did not have Certify. It is less appropriate to have Certify if only a few employees use the company card and if the company does not do a lot of traveling.
Certify is used across the entire organization for employee monthly expenses.
  • Clean intuitive interface
  • Provides a mobile app for receipt scanning
  • Provides history of all expense report activity
  • The website tends to be very, very slow when uploading or saving information
  • OCR engine through App for scanning receipts is awful, to the point of being useless
  • Mileage calculations through Mapquest tend to be inaccurate most of the time
In a smaller organization setting, or for people that are NOT road warriors like myself that have multiple receipts each day, it would probably be better suited. When you have many many receipts to document each month, going through each to ensure accuracy takes quite a long time and is burdensome.
April 19, 2019

We love Certify!

Certify is used as our expense reporting software for reimbursable and non-reimbursable expenses. It is being used across the whole organization. It avoids us having to use paper receipts and allows managers and the finance department to monitor spending.
  • Mobile capture of receipts.
  • Create and approve expense reports on the mobile app.
  • Reimbursable expenses are easy to process.
  • Sometimes the software that reads the receipt info is not accurate. Close, but never 100%.
  • Admins should not have to take so many steps to access users' accounts.
  • Too many e-mails along the way for expense report approval.
Very easy to use. Support is great! Allows for an approval process for all money spent on company credit cards.
IEC uses Certify daily for tracking credit card and reimbursable expenses. We have approximately 7 offices and perform work all across the united states.
  • Centralized location for tracking expenses.
  • Makes job costing for expenses a smooth transaction.
  • Allows employees to get their reimbursements in an efficient time frame.
  • There needs to be a way to delete the previously downloaded transactions that were not used due to a discrepancy.
  • When inactivating projects a multi-delete function would be more convenient.
  • Allow for coding multiple projects per single transaction.
Certify is well suited for multiple cards per employee, the app allows users to use the interface quickly and efficiently.
It is being used across the organization. Anyone who has a company credit card uses it, and almost all of the salespeople as well. Accounting oversees it. It helps us to keep all of our credit card receipts easily accessible and reduces paper waste. It makes it much easier to look up previous charges.
  • The app is easy to use and is very convenient.
  • The ability of account managers to go into other employees' accounts makes it easy to help them.
  • The wide range of reporting features makes it easy to look up old information and create Excel sheets with meaningful data.
  • Manually entering data to an expense report is not very user-friendly. I do not like that I have to fill in the category before I can fill in the rest of the data. Sometimes I need to fill it all in and then think about which category would be best.
  • Linking cards to the wallet - we had quite a struggle trying to keep some of our cards linked and they would mysteriously unlink which made for a time-consuming fix involving upper management.
  • SpendSmart - I don't think this area is useful at all to our company.
  • As an account manager, I wish there was an easier way for me to edit each expense in reports. There are times I need to go into every single line item. to change or add detail, and it would be nice if I could edit them on one screen.
Certify is a great tool for anyone needing help with organizing receipts. Very appropriate when you have lots of credit cards to manage.

User Friendly

Currently our organization uses Certify across the whole organization. We use it for expense reports as well as booking our company travel.
  • Able to create custom reports designed for your organization to provide you with the information you need.
  • Always has customer service available; whenever an issue might occur they are able to handle it immediately.
  • Extremely user-friendly and does not need WiFi connection at all times.
  • Allowing for receipts to be uploaded after an employee submits a report.
  • Allowing easier cancellation/changes when it comes to travel on the user end instead of having to call for easy change.
  • Allow for reports to be ran using more specific field searches.
Very user-friendly and easy to create expense reports both on the user end as well as the administrator end.
April 09, 2019

great value

We use Certify for all expense reporting in our engineering department, for field marketing employees, administration, and all upper management. We have a lot of travel within our company, and Certify is a great way to track travel expenses and needs for our employees. We have not utilized the travel portion of the software.
  • The quick and easy recording of receipts, by clicking a couple of buttons and saving the information, is so efficient. No worrying about keeping track of or losing receipts.
  • The reports to pull for following processing expenses are a great help for research purposes.
  • Ease of entering and completing expenses, whether via cell phone or computer.
  • Split Expense function -- I wish it worked better on the mobile app. It is easy to go through the function on the computer, not so much on the mobile app. Most of our employees use the mobile app, so that results in a lot of clean up on my part when processing.
Overall, Certify is great! It is easy to use and easy to submit (except the Split Expense function via mobile devices).
Certify is used by the entire organization, but the bulk of its use is in sales. We use it for expenses. It is extremely simple to use, very intuitive, and has a clean and modern feel to it. Many times we take clients out or use it as a way to thank others for internal trainings. It also helps the company get to know each other as a whole without bothering executives for a credit card. I pick up bagels every Friday for the team and because it's an approved expense I don't have to ping an executive for a card or cash to pay for something. I can simply upload my receipt and be reimbursed by the next pay check.
  • Simplicity of user experience
  • Accountability for expense trail
  • Auditing previous receipts
  • Mobile application
  • Breaking down expenses into categories
  • Web app is more complicated than mobile app
  • Direct ties with my bank account for immediate reimbursement
Certify is well suited for teams with high trust and day to day operating expenses that are approved by a boss and where the boss is not always around to do everything himself. It works well in a sales environment or a marketing department where smaller expenses or club-like expenses can be designated for a smaller group of tenured people to take advantage of without having to get the individuals corporate cards. Certify is not ideal for companies with complicated hierarchy or high turnover.
Certify is used in our organization to capture, organize and process business and travel expenses. It is convenient to use on your mobile device as well as on a desktop computer. The at-a-glance "dashboard" is easy to navigate and makes the process more efficient. I would highly recommend Certify to any organization looking to streamline reimbursement processing.
  • Adding receipts or documentation of purchase(s) is simple with the three upload options that Certify offers. The user can choose to upload from a mobile device via the Certify app, upload via computer or by emailing it to a unique email account that is designated for the individual employee through Certify.
  • The status of expense reports makes it easy to check at-a-glance to see the current status - "Draft, Pending Approval, Pending Payment or Archived".
  • Receipt integration from popular travel services and vendors makes calculating expenses even easier.
  • I'd like to see more options for receipt integration from places where the purchase was made with Apple pay, and the merchant sent a text message receipt of payment.
  • "Create a New Expense Report" page is very basic, possibly creating differentiation with bold character and font size difference would help the user with a faster response to the next step in navigation.
  • The website could use a refresh to make navigating more user-friendly.
Certify is well suited for capturing, organizing and processing expenses with specific time frames, such as business trips or events. This platform seems less suited for the occasional expense, as it can be more challenging to "re-remember" all the steps to report and submit an expense. I have assisted colleagues where this is the case, and it has been a learning curve compared to what we did previously in our organization.
At my company, Certify is used for reimbursement across multiple departments. I personally use it for reimbursements of travel and meals I've incurred during audit trips. It's pretty easy to use and there are multiple ways of using it such as the app and online. I personally like using the app as it lets me save my receipts right away so I don't have to worry about losing them. Certify definitely helps my company reimburse individuals for business expenses in a fast and easy platform to use. I would definitely recommend it to my friends and family if they don't already use it at their company.
  • Certify has multiple ways of submitting your information such as receipts and mileage incurred. I prefer using the app on my phone while I travel. It's convenient and I don't have to worry about keeping all of my receipts safe which may be difficult when you travel.
  • Certify can be configured for my company's needs such as the list of eligible expenses an individual can submit.
  • When submitting your reports, they go directly to your supervisor. You don't have to worry about an extensive process of getting your expenses approved.
  • It would be nice if the app used touch/fingerprint login for ease of use.
Certify is well suited when you need to be reimbursed for meals or travel incurred on the job. I travel for supplier audits and usually pay out of pocket for my travel accommodations so I like to get reimbursed right away if I can. I don't know when Certify would not be appropriate to use as I only use it for work.
I used Certify to submit my monthly expenses. It was extremely easy to use and saved me a ton of time compared to other processes I have used in the past. It gave me back time, so I could be in the field selling and not hours wasted doing expense reports. I would highly recommend using it.
  • Certify makes it very easy to take pictures of your receipts and automatically upload receipt totals/amounts.
  • Creation of new expense reports is very easy and intuitive.
  • The Mobile App is great which makes it easy to snap photos on the go, eliminating chances of losing receipts.
  • I can t really think of any improvements at this time.
It works great for someone that is required to do expense reports on a monthly basis. Anyone who is currently using Excel spreadsheets or scanning and submitting paper receipts NEEDS something like Certify. I cannot stress enough how much I was able to get accomplished because of the time I was able to get back.
April 17, 2019

We use it across our US organization. It gives us the capability of automatically linking our company credit cards and allows employees access when they are traveling.
  • Links credit card charges and receipts for ease of reconciliation
  • Allows employees to access while traveling
  • Provides good reports
  • Allow receipts to be included for more than 1 charge on the credit card (Uber charges & tips)
  • Linking receipts can be difficult when there are many to choose from
Much better than the Excel spreadsheet we were using prior
We use Certify across the organization for expense reimbursement and accounts payable.
  • Maintains copies of backup documentation.
  • Employees can easily upload receipts with their phone, and complete the expense report at a more convenient time.
  • Accounts payable reporting is not robust. I'd like to be able to see payments by vendor, etc.
Well suited for small and medium-sized companies.

In Certify we trust!

Certify is being across our whole organization for travel and expense reporting. Its highly intuitive and user-friendly platform allows users to easily populate their expense reports, submit them and get them approved in an very efficient manner. Finance is able to review the approved reports online and initiate payment processing in a similar efficient manner.
  • Ease of use for users and administrators
  • It's totally paperless
  • Never once heard a complaint about Certify
  • None so far!
Certify is extremely well suited for all of our current travel and expense reporting needs.

Easy to use

We use Certify across the whole company. It helps us track expenses by client or project. We were able to improve tracking of billable expenses because of Certify.
  • Integration with our accounting system
  • Ability to customize to follow company T&E policy
  • Easy to run reports
  • For individuals who travel frequently it would be easier to populate details for each expense as soon as its added to the wallet.
  • It would be nice to view billing history and open invoices rather than just scheduling payment
Well Suited:
  • Tracking expenses by clients /projects
It is used to manage all credit card purchases for the entire company for supplies, equipment, and travel. Certify is very helpful for the Accounts Payable team when they need to decide how a purchase is allocated in Quickbooks.
  • The mobile app works well for users that travel so they don't have to wait to enter expenses and receipts.
  • The web interface is simple and easy to use.
  • Attaching receipts via the web interface is also quick and easy.
  • It would be nice to turn off the message that pop up stating that there is a duplicate expense.
It is well suited for tracking business travel expenses.
Emily Rimert | TrustRadius Reviewer
We signed up for Certify to track our expenses better and more efficiently.
  • They were willing to work on pricing before we signed up.
  • Their system is outdated. The software could be good, but it seems they are not willing to update to get there.
  • They use a 3rd party linking system which will result in you having to manually reconnect your cards to the system weekly, or your reports will not pull in transactions correctly.
  • The way the users are set up, it makes no sense and has a very hard flow to things. You constantly have to ghost another user to approve expenses billed to a card that is added to your user.
  • They are not a customer-focused company who is concerned with their product or how their customers are treated and focused more on filling their pockets.
I would not recommend using them to anyone.

We contacted our reps and let them know the software was not working for us. We tried, but it left us doing more work than our prior manual process. After requesting our account to be terminated, we were given penalties to be paid for exiting our contract agreement early. We asked why we were being charged after our rep agreed to no penalties, and their answer was that they resolved all of our questions and concerns. So because they gave us information on how to get around their faulty system, we had to pay the penalties for ending the contract.

Do not waste your time or money on this software!

Read Emily Rimert's full review
Kathie Johnson | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 21, 2017

Certify at a Glimpse

Certify is very computer friendly and we have about 200 employees that submit expense reports daily by computer or mobile with no issues or questions.
  • Create expense reports as easy as 1, 2, 3.
  • Uploads receipts and links together very easily.
  • Easy to run reports to get info needed.
  • When you set up employees' approvers you now have to key in their email address instead of the drop-down list for ones saved in the system already.
Computer friendly and employees don't have many questions on how to operate the system.
Read Kathie Johnson's full review
Heidi Williams | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use certify to manage expense reimbursements for employees in 2 of our locations (I US and 1 European). We also use Certify to manage classification and reconciliation of corporate card charges for our US location.
  • Certify's customer support is excellent. They are quick to answer, knowledgeable and friendly. Follow up and communication is always clear and efficient.
  • Certify manages multiple currencies well making it easy for employees to be reimbursed in their home currency regardless of the currency of the transactions.
  • The Certify app is easy to use to capture expenses while traveling.
  • We've experienced continual problems with our corporate card integration where transactions post to the wrong cardholder account. Customer support has always been willing to assist with teh correction but its frustrating that the manual correction is needed so frequently.
  • Some customization requires manual intervention (we require a custom field for all expenses but have to contact support any time we add or change an expense account so that the required filed can be added manually).
  • Certify does not integrate with our accounting software and the CSV export/import file does not bring in transaction level detail.
Certify is well suited to smaller organizations getting started with expense reimbursement. It met our needs quite well at a reasonable price when our organization was getting started. But as we scale and have more reporting needs we're not sure that Certify can scale with us. That said, we've been so happy with their support/service that we will be working wit them to try to find a solution before seeking other products.
Read Heidi Williams's full review
Jessica Curtis, CHFP, CRCA | TrustRadius Reviewer
Certify is used across our entire organization for expense management and reporting. We are able to link our company credit cards to the system and import our expenses directly so we don't miss anything. We can also use the Certify app to upload receipts and input expenses "on the spot". Their automated approval process allows our employees to get reimbursed and expenses to be recorded quickly.
  • Imports expenses automatically from American Express.
  • Quick approval process with notification emails of the status to the approving parties and submitter.
  • Certify "reads" your receipts and attempts to import certain values for you to create expense records that you can then edit and finalize.
  • Sometimes the receipt "read" function misinterprets values and creates more work than intended.
  • When you email receipts to Certify to add to your "wallet", it includes items like logo graphics from your digital signature in your email as potential receipt documents and crowds your receipt folder.
  • My phone saves photos (of receipts) in a large file format and won't allow me to change it. I also cannot resize them on my phone. Certify rejects these emailed files because they are so large, so I have to resize any receipt photos on my PC first and then send to Certify.
I think most business users, particularly those who travel and have a lot of expenses to report, will find that Certify is much faster and more convenient than an Excel spreadsheet (our old method). It helps ensure you don't miss any expenses and makes it convenient to submit receipts. It is also quick to identify which expenses were company-paid vs reimbursable, and creates user satisfaction in that it notifies the submitter of the approval process as it moves.
Read Jessica Curtis, CHFP, CRCA's full review
George Theofanous | TrustRadius Reviewer
Certify is being used by my whole organization to track expenses.
  • Integration with Chase business credit card. It is easy and painless to register your Chase account; then your expenses flow automatically in from there.
  • The app makes it easy to capture receipts on the fly.
  • It is not clear how to edit a line item to add a receipt; I ended up having to re-add line items.
  • The overall workflow is clunky. Not clear why I need to "sync".
  • It should be easier to simply create a new expense report on the fly and automatically add ongoing receipts to that report directly.
It is well suited if you need an adequate expense tracking and reporting application for your company on a very limited budget. If your company requires expenses on a company card it is easy to integrate with company card accounts. However, if you have a decent budget, well-known solutions like Concur are clearly superior.
Read George Theofanous's full review
Certify is being used in company-wide for all team members for expense track and management. It's a great tool to consolidate everything in terms of efficiency and organization.
  • Easy to consolidate for expense track and management. When submitted with the expense, you will see where you are and you can remind the approver if necessary.
  • There is an app provided across IOS and Andriod platform so you can capture the receipts and upload every single time without going through scanning/uploading etc. It's very easy for the frequent traveler.
  • The approvers managing multiple organizations can also do very well with tracking and managing the expense.
  • I found there might be a slight synching up problem when you keep the expense report on your own device and there happened at times the report didn't sync up with the server properly.
It's particularly good for the frequent traveler and they can capture and submit the receipts very easily from their devices. This state-of-the-art design facilitates a great integration for expense tracking and management.
December 11, 2017

You get what you pay for

Our company was researching ways to help streamline employee expense reimbursements and company credit card reconciliation. Our accounting department heavily relied on paper expense reports for both processes. We wanted to see if expense processing software would help. After doing some research we decided to go with Certify. We thought the company offered good pricing, a flexible contract and technology solutions we were looking for.
  • Our employees seem to like Certify app mainly because you don't have to save paper receipts anymore and can submit your expense report from anywhere.
  • In theory credit card transaction import should help with company credit card reconciliation but as we learned there are issues with the process.
  • Certify gives managers ability to approve expenses when they are not being physically present in the office.
  • It would be nice to see more training for certify accountant users. There is not enough knowledge base material on the product, the system is not being used to its full potential due to lack of training resources.
  • P-card reconciliation report is not user-friendly and hard to work with. Dates of imported credit card transactions often don't match with dates on receipts.
  • Very busy interface, important data is scattered all over the report which makes it hard to keep track and make sure all the details in expense report are correct.
  • Lacks functionality to import data into our accounting software (Abila) and doesn't have the option to allocate expenses indirectly among cost centers.
The app is good for employees and managers who travel a lot - can submit and approve expenses anytime and anywhere. No need to complete paper expense reports.The software is moderately priced, might be a decent option for a small business, but buyer beware- you get what you paid for.

About Certify

Certify is a web-based travel, invoice, and expense management software provider for companies of all sizes. Certify helps make expense reporting easier with its automated expense report creation and mobile receipt capture, promises the vendor. Employees, managers and accountants can create, submit and approve expense reports, check the status of expense reports and access reports on demand.

Certify now offers integrated AP invoice management and payments. Certify offers a broad range of integrations, travel booking, live support for all users, and much more.

Certify Features

Has featureSpend Control
Has featureWorkflow Management

Certify Screenshots

Certify Integrations

Xero, NetSuite, Authorize.Net, Sage Intacct, QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise, SAP Financial Statement Insights, Stripe, PayPal Payments, Braintree, Workato, Salesforce, Sage ERP, Microsoft Dynamics 365 (formerly Microsoft Dynamics CRM), Micosoft Excel

Certify Competitors