Skip to main content
Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches

Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches

What is Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches?

Cisco offers the Catalyst 9300 series of stackable LAN switches.

Cisco is king!

December 27, 2023
We utilize Cisco Catalyst throughout our network. This includes both access layer within our organization and to the core of the network. …

8 videos

One users experience | Cisco Catalyst 9300 Switch Review
05:48
How SRC's Network Engineer Feels About Reliable Switches | Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switch Review
03:36
Cisco 9300 Series Switches | Powerful Office-Grade Solution
05:05

What is Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches?

The Catalyst 9300 Series is described by Cisco as the next generation of the industry's most widely deployed stackable switching platform, recognized as CRN's 2018 Overall Network Product of the Year. And for security, IoT, and the cloud, these switches form the foundation of Cisco Software-Defined Access, their enterprise architecture solution.

Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches Competitors

Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches Technical Details

Cisco offers the Catalyst 9300 series of stackable LAN switches.

HPE Networking Switches, Dell PowerConnect Switches, and Ruckus ICX Switches are common alternatives for Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches.

Reviewers rate Usability highest, with a score of 10.

The most common users of Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches are from Enterprises (1,001+ employees).

Attribute Ratings

Amitpal Singh | TrustRadius Reviewer
Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches can be used in Enterprise and Datacenter networks. The platform is stable and provides a robust network. The Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches can be installed with DUAL power supply and that way we have redundancy at power level. Catalyst comes with different uplink modules based on business requirements, we can order them.
Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches are well suited for your small to large enterprise campus networks where high performance, scalability, and reliability are critical. The modular design of Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches allows for easy expansion, and features like stacking enable simplified management. The PoE capabilities are ideal for scenarios where powering IP phones, CCTV cameras, and wireless access points.
They are well suited for big campuses, where you have a lot of devices that need to be connected. And then they are very modular, such as fans, and power supply.

On smaller locations they are not so good because of the size, and are not fanless. They need a big wiring closet if you need to stack them.
December 27, 2023

Cisco is king!

I don't think there is a place where a Cisco Catalyst switch would not work. I have used them in classrooms, IDFs, MDFs, NEMA, Cabinets, and remote office situations. You would just have to understand the needs and purchase depending on that. For example, a 9200 fixed platform for shallower depths, or even a smaller fan less unit to be mounted on a shelf.
Incentivized
I think I've seen it in traditional, I mean I work in the traditional routing and switching environment, so I think it fits really well from a switching perspective. It fits really well in that space. I don't know too much about the SD-WAN and the cloud space. Whether it fits well or not, I would still have to explore that, but that's for other teams to look at. But as far as know, I think it fits very well in the legacy or traditional switching environment.
Incentivized
Appropriate from the reliability point of view is reliable, appropriate in relation to performances and performances in relation to wearing temperature and all of those things, that's really good. But then when it comes to the price, Cisco is always expensive. We need to think about how we can make it market competitive price-wise because there are some other features like management these days that are going on the cloud and a lot of other features, are reduced just because of the technology advancement. So I think gradually Cisco needs to think about reducing the price as well.
Incentivized
I think it's well suited for well-air-conditioned locations. We noticed that we have to run it in data centers where there's very good air conditioning. It works pretty well. Doesn't tend to do well in areas where you've got a lot of heat because I've had situations where a 9300 fails. After all, it doesn't have enough cooling, but I can't fault the device because it's not meant for outdoor, but it doesn't hold well in warmer areas.
Incentivized
Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches are ideal for big business networks that require scalability, high performance, and powerful security capabilities. Their support for VXLANs, LISP, VLANs, PoE, and comprehensive security features aids in the management of many user groups and devices. The cost of Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches may be a limiting factor for small enterprises with limited budgets. Other suppliers' more affordable products may be preferred. Cloud-native solutions or switches with deeper cloud integration may be more suited in scenarios where a large portion of the infrastructure is in the cloud and on-premises networking is minimized.
Incentivized
The only way I can think of where it's not well suited would be these deployments on the edge where we just have these legacy devices that we cannot, for whatever reason, get the vendors to upgrade past 10 megabits. And in those situations, we have to find a different hardware solution to connect those devices to the network as you, we have to use older switches that'll support the 10 megabit speeds.
August 26, 2023

Cisco Review

Incentivized
It's suited to all our environments. We use multiple of these devices throughout our buildings, so I didn't make users for phones or laptops or hardware connections this product as well.
Incentivized
When looking for a switch that can provide complete visibility into an environment and leverage it as a sensor then the Catalyst 9300 switch is a no-brainer. Other switches are restrictive and sometimes require you to purchase additional appliances. Hard to justify in a small office environment.