TRUE

6.1

File Sharing & Management

6.7

What is Cisco Jabber?

Cisco Jabber is a communication platform that is available as a browser-based and mobile app solution. It allows users to collaborate across channels such as instant messaging, voice, VoIP, and video telephony. Features include voice and video calling, call recording, and broadcast messaging.

Key Features
Instant message and presence
Real-time presence information and instant messaging. Users can view the availability of contacts within and outside of their organization.

Business voice and video
Soft-phone features, including HD voice and video, plus desktop sharing.

Global Collaboration
Access to all of Cisco Jabber’s features while mobile, including video conferencing.

Communicate from Microsoft Office
Access Cisco Jabber directly from Microsoft Office applications. Click to initiate chat, voice or video calls, or multiparty conferences.

Cisco Jabber Features

Cisco Jabber Competitors

Cisco Jabber Technical Details

Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry

What is Cisco Jabber?

What is Cisco Jabber's best feature?

Reviewers rate Chat highest, with a score of 8.7.

Who uses Cisco Jabber?

The most common users of Cisco Jabber are from Enterprises (1,001+ employees) and the Information Technology & Services industry.

Cisco Jabber provides us the ability to seamlessly communicate between different peers inside as well as outside of the organization. This is a user-friendly application that also provides multiple other features where users can interact using different platforms like Windows, MAC, Android. The Presence feature also enables the users to use instant messaging and communicate.
  • Calling.
  • Messaging.
  • Availability (presence) of other peers.
  • Meeting reminders and calendar integrations.
  • Interface can be a bit lighter.
  • Usage of the memory.
A user friendly, sleek and efficient software which enables the collaboration with multiple options like Voice, Chat and presence. This has lesser resource consumption when compared to other peers and also has the ability to customize all the features in a centralized manner which enables the administrators to provide what is required as per the business needs to the necessary personal.
Tierra Lillard | TrustRadius Reviewer
I used Cisco Jabber to communicate with colleagues across different departments about deadlines and upcoming projects that needed to be completed. Cisco Jabber also made it convenient to get ideas across to different areas. Cisco Jabber also made it more convenient to place video calls from one Colleague to another.
  • Video calling
  • Instant messages
  • Finding colleagues within the organization
  • Cisco jabber could improve their connection capability
I worked with a colleague who was thousands of miles away and we were able to video call each other and share our screens for our presentation. Cisco Jabber made it really convenient for us to get our ideas and our points across to one another and the upper-level management.
We use Cisco Jabber so much now that we are working remotely. When COVID hit, they installed it on everyone's computers so they could take calls from home. It has been an integral part of running our operations from home. We now work part remote, part in the office, so it is still frequently used for external communications with clients, etc. The only issue I have with it is that it sometimes randomly logs me out - other than that, no real issues.
  • Allows people to work remotely
  • Allows daily operations to continue without having to be at the desk.
  • Easy log tracking calls, times, voicemails, etc.
  • Video Calling
  • Logging out randomly
Covid is the answer to this question - it has made it possible for everyone to work from home without any part of our business being overlooked or thrown on the backburner. We don't use it for internal company communication - mostly just for external client calls, etc.
Peter Qumsiyeh | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Chat/IM
  • Make calls
  • Receive calls
  • Automatically or manually change status (available, away, etc.)
  • Meeting functionality can be improved.
  • Make it easier to add organization contacts.
  • Layout can be improved.
It's a collaboration tool. First, we use Cisco Jabber to chat and IM coworkers, ask quick questions, and get quick answers. The best part about Cisco Jabber, unlike other similar tools, is that it easily integrates with our phones (landlines), allowing us to receive and make calls from anywhere as if we are in the office using our physical landline phone. For meetings, we prefer to use Microsoft Teams.
May 30, 2022

I like the Jabber!

We use Cisco Jabber as an internal chat system as well as to host internal video meetings. I also utilize the jabber app on my phone. It is the system our incoming calls can be routed through as well if we chose to answer via computer vs from the desk phone.
  • Internal Chat
  • User availability - status
  • Internal meetings
  • The app doesn't allow for you to call into meetings.
  • Don't like how the app doesn't sync with the desktop version so you lose all your chats if you go back and forth.
  • Don't like how you can't invite people outside of the organization into a video conference as you can on zoom or lifesize or teams.
I really like it for use within the organization. Would be far better if it had a function that allowed you to invite people to video conferences from outside of your organization. I like the phone app for "texting" when outside the office, but don't like how I can't use my phone to call into meetings within the platform.
May 26, 2022

Integrated phone

I use Cisco Jabber for making and receiving calls. It is helpful that it can be linked to my computer so that calls can be made through a headset on one device instead of needing a physical phone. I also like that I can click on a company's profile page and their phone number and it automatically pulls it up in the app. Overall Cisco Jabber is a convenient and useful tool.
  • makes calls
  • takes messages
  • redirect lines
  • looks dated
  • save contacts
  • caller id
Well suited for just one on one phone calls. Not as appropriate for video meetings or where multiple people need to be on the line. Unable to share screens as well as you can in Zoom so often Zoom is more appropriate.
Shreyas Tater | TrustRadius Reviewer
Cisco Jabber is an extremely effective tool for cross-team communication, especially during the WFH situation. It helps in providing a quick form of instant messaging service that enables better alignment across the organization. For a multi-national company, Cisco Jabber was extremely useful to ensure that the channels of communication are maintained across continents.
  • It helps quick text and audio call with peers.
  • It provides status info on the availability of the peer.
  • Helps block time for deep-work.
  • Nice integration with Outlook and Webex makes it seamless to use.
  • The tool is often slow to boot up.
  • Unable to send messages if the peer is offline.
  • Lack of features like threads and private groups.
Its best suited for teams where individuals own their tasks with minimal multi-functional overlaps. This ensures a quick resolution since we don't need groups to solve such issues. Additionally, it provides a one-stop tool that replaces the need for a phone to make quick calls. I have found its integration with webex and outlook to help in meeting notifications and joining the meetings without any fuss. This greatly improves productivity.
Sainath Bysani | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Cisco Jabber for Instant Messaging. We use this to communicate with our colleagues and our clients. There are multiple instances where we use this to share our screen and explain the content. Another fantastic feature is the emojis that are present in this IM. We can even share attachments.
  • Instant messaging
  • Screen sharing
  • File sharing
  • User interface
  • Time to load the application
Well suited for instant messaging and content sharing. And, I can give control to my colleague in that they can navigate my system and help during calls. Multiple people can join this IM.
I use it to communicate with my colleagues. It solves not having to call your colleagues on the phone to ask questions and to a virtual meeting to get help on certain work items. It's a great instant messaging system for businesses. It is a really easy-to-use program and I recommend it.
  • Instant Messaging
  • To schedule Meetings with your colleagues.
  • To be able to make phone calls from your computer.
  • I see no areas for improvement at this time.
I think it's a fantastic program to use for businesses to communicate with your colleagues. It's great that you can set up meetings very easily. I have no scenarios that are less appropriate for Jabber. I also like that you can send screenshots in the conversation window that you're talking to your colleagues.
We used Cisco Jabber as a complement to chat needs and also because we were using VoIP Cisco phones so the Cisco Jabber comes in a bundle with them for the company. I feel like we did not use all the potential it has as a well-known software, for example, I chatted with it but I've never video-calling someone with it because I used to find the UI/UX a little bit confusing and not immediate.
  • Chats
  • Connecting with the VoIP Cisco phones.
  • Opening automatically at windows startup. :-)
  • Video-calling.
  • Confusing and not immediate User interface.
  • Advertise with the own UI what it offers.
I think the best scenario where Cisco Jabber is well suited is in a company where it comes paired or in a bundle with Cisco VoIP phones, as it has a special feature to couple with them. But be sure that the IT guys know really the software, all its features, as if IT doesn't configure it properly and train you about how to use it, it will become almost un-useful and will lay down in your system tray without receiving any click ever.
This software is used by whole organization and all across the office in the world. This is one of the best software for the quick conversation along with screenshots, picture or emoticons. You can share screen with other user who use the same software and can give access through jabber to other person.
You can have video calling functionality or you can use normal audio call to other user. This is the best app which give you quick access to any type of virtual conversation you need. Only disadvantage I feel that you can pick the singular message and reply it.
  • Video Calling
  • Phone call
  • Screen Sharing
  • Reply of particular message
  • Use Different fonts
  • More responsive on Status
Best suited for screen sharing and giving control to other user. Other person can do anything from you screen with your permission along with voice calling or video calling. Simply perfect application for business
You cannot reply by picking any particular message or forward the message from one chat to another.
Competitors of same application does not match any[where] near this application. Best application to have a conversation with any virtual mode i.e. Audio , Video and Chats. Share anything from any part of the world. Download files without any error occurring and safe download in your desktop. Using this application since 4 years
Does not really have much issue with the application due to which less interaction with the support of CISCO Jabber but overall rating for them is 9.
They are pretty much quick responsive and fix your issue on time (window given by them). Timely delivery is everything I think in every business
We've used Cisco Jabber for inter-office communication through instant messaging and digital calling. We have a large staff base with multiple locations and Cisco Jabber helped us better communicate with one another. The ability to use it on a desktop or through a mobile application is nice. There are other tools like video conferencing options, but we have used other programs for those services.
  • Works for quick communication internally. Sending a teammate an instant message is easy and straightforward.
  • Easy to see co-worker status
  • Allows for virtual phone calls
  • Can be somewhat slow starting up
  • Does not save instant message chats
  • Audio settings can seem inconsistent
If you need a virtual solution for someone without a desktop phone, it can do the job. That can be nice for offices or homes with insufficient phone lines. The Cisco Jabber app usually opens on startup, which is nice so you don't have to worry about missing any communication. Other features, such as instant messaging allow you to chat with teammates across your business. Sending an IM can make it easy to get quick answers to questions and keep your day moving. There are limitations on the IM - you can't save past chats and sometimes shared screenshots are not always received properly. If it had more integrations that would help.
Mohammad Mashmoushi | TrustRadius Reviewer
As the main contractor for several ongoing construction projects, utilizing a reliable online communication tool is vital for work progression & follow-up with the team to ensure deadlines are met & problems are averted &/or resolved. Cisco Jabber came into play a few years ago when our firm started using the platform. Since then, our team has used Jabber daily for conducting online meetings, initiating crystal-clear calls & sharing files among peers, and scheduling project follow-ups (via the platform's calendar), thereby maintaining smooth workflow & objective accomplishment.
  • The ability to expand & collapse contact groups is great for handling multiple project teams and chat clutter reduction.
  • Tags placed under each contact name that display their status availability help us determine whether everyone in a project team is online & ready to enter a meeting.
  • Stable, crystal clear audio & video quality amid calls & online meetings.
  • Mobile & desktop availability for on-the-go communication with project teams.
  • Chat messages & files sent from the computer sometimes do not appear on the mobile app (& vice versa) despite having a stable network connection at the office. This unsynchronized issue doesn't occur quite often, but it's noteworthy.
  • File-transfer size limit of 100MB should definitely be increased, as I received numerous complaints from several team members in regards to having to create (& thus send) multiple zip files rather than a single file containing all the project files at once.
  • Integrated OCR functionality for scanning photos containing text is missing, hence the reliance on other software to perform said function.
I believe that Cisco Jabber performs exceptionally well in team-based workplaces where various communication tools within the app enable team coordination, project planning, and data-sharing, all within the platform whilst remaining lightweight & easy-to-use even among the less tech-literate employees. However, given that this is premium software that's paid, I think that many schools & colleges conducting online classes may feel less inclined to spend money on the platform & instead resort to free alternatives, such as Google Meet & Microsoft Teams.
Cisco Jabber is used in my organization to make phone calls, both internally and externally. Cisco Jabber has capabilities of a standard office phone, including voicemail, but also allows for company address list and outlook contact list to be synced for facilitated communication with internal colleagues. My company primarily uses Microsoft Teams, but Cisco Jabber is used for communication with outside stakeholders and contractors and is also convenient to use with a Bluetooth headset during travel.
  • Easy connection with internal and external colleagues via syncing with Outlook contacts.
  • Single Number Reach (SNR) enables connectivity and consistent contact number in any geographic location, which is great during business travel.
  • Great compatibility with a headset or other Bluetooth devices. Retains all functionality of an office phone but eliminates the need for transporting hardware equipment.
  • It isn't a common enough platform among external users to effectively get used out of all available features such as videoconferencing.
  • It does not have some functionality that Microsoft Teams does, including meeting scheduling and attendance tracking. It is primarily a VoIP software solution.
  • It does not appear to have cross-functionality with other common platforms such as Microsoft Teams or Zoom. It would be convenient if one could use Cisco Jabber to contact an external stakeholder that uses a different platform while retaining full functionality.
Cisco Jabber is great as a replacement for the traditional office landline phone, particularly if you do a lot of business travel or contact external business colleagues on a semi-frequent basis. It retains some of the classic phone functionality, such as a 10-digit contact number and the ability to leave and store voicemails. A consistent contact number, regardless of a geographic location, is a great benefit for those who value such uniformity/simplicity while traveling.
May 01, 2022

Love communicating

I use Cisco Jabber mainly for quick text conversations with colleagues. It cuts down on email traffic and isn't as distracting as phone calls as it allows the communicators to respond when able. Making phone calls with Cisco Jabber is very easy as the corporate directory is pre-loaded. You can see if people are available, ask if they are free to talk, and identify when people are out of the office, busy, or not to be disturbed.
  • Great for quick communication
  • No need to hunt out a phone number
  • Displays availability of colleagues
  • The hunt function isn't suitable for our organisation
  • Voicemail can be a bit clunky
  • The meeting element is very basic
  • It's being overtaken by MS teams, which is a pity because the communicator is much nicer/simpler on Cisco Jabber
Great for quick communicator messaging and locating availability of team members
Cisco Jabber is connected to our soft-phone VOIP solution through Cisco and allows users to access their call features remotely and on-site.
  • Integration to physical and soft phones
  • Full functionality of a VOIP system without the need for extra hardware
  • Chat and messaging capability built-in
  • Call and conference features are separate from WebEX or other similar solutions
  • Functions primarily as a VOIP solution and not truly a unified solution
  • Usability features are lacking compared to Zoom or Teams
If your deployment includes Cisco softphones or IP phones, Cisco Jabber is an excellent tool to provide line access for all employees without geographical limitations. If you mainly conduct video/call conferences and virtual meetings, Jabber will not solve that problem.
Cisco Jabber is an instant messaging, voice messaging, and video call conference platform that my company used to use when communicating before we switched to Zoom and Slack. It was purposefully used to increase communication in our completely remote business for internal purposes (rather than using it externally with clients and partners).
  • User interface is nice
  • Support material was good
  • Cisco is reliable and not overwhelmed like Zoom
  • It's not a power player among the giants and its felt
  • Configuration can at times be difficult
  • Recognition and use have a bit of a learning curve because it isn't as common of a platform
It's fine. It works and it's fine. If I had to go back to it again, I would be okay. I can communicate with my team and others around our company without any issues. I can quickly share my screen or log into a call or message someone within a few keystrokes.
Cisco Jabber is used for calling internally and externally to the company locations hassle-free be it audio or video. We also use it as we are logged into the call queue in Cisco Finesse so that calls can land on our jabber.
  • Audio calls
  • Video Calls
  • Call forwarding
  • Multiple lines on single login
  • conferencing during a call can be a little cumbersome
  • Putting on hold and calling another person and then resuming hold is a hassle sometimes
  • Auto log out if not managed correctly by Telephony team
For audio/video calling to company employees, this has been a wonderful application. A very user-friendly and simple GUI makes it win.
Dan Ryan | TrustRadius Reviewer
Cisco Jabber has been one of the two most important tools that enabled me to pivot to a work-from-home scenario. While that alone is sufficient to earn it my 10-star rating, I have to say that even after I transitioned back to the office, I find it to be very easy to use and is how I use my phone line the majority of the time. It is very intuitive and took very little time to become accustomed to. I suspect there are features of which I remain unaware, but I have been very happy with the product in the ways that I use it.
  • Easy to answer calls
  • Easy to place calls
  • Create phone book
The software is well suited for the office environment The desktop application is easy to use and is pretty intuitive. I am not sure I would use an app on my cell phone as it would be too easy to just simply forward my calls to the cell phone itself.
Leonardo Lacerda | TrustRadius Reviewer
Cisco Jabber gathers together calling, messaging and meeting in one single tool. Uses can communicate between themselves and with other companies due to the XMPP federation; remote teams can connect their Cisco Jabber from a mobile connection or public Wifi once Cisco Jabber is integrated with Expressway. Cisco Jabber is a complete communication tool that is scalable, reliable, and secure.
  • Chat and group chat are great
  • Calling features such as pick group, redirect to voicemail, hunt group and see presence status
  • Possible integrations such as XMPP federation, Mobile remote Access and calls B2B (SIP and H323)
  • The warning certificate is quite annoying. It would be great to have a configuration that hides or disable this notification.
  • Integration and possibility to integrate with omnichannel tools
Many corporate problems can be addressed with Cisco Jabber. It is a complete collaboration tool and can be used just for calling if your company has other messaging tools. Cisco Jabber can also be used as a messaging tool if you have an instant message and presence server in your environment; it only consumes 1 enhanced license. Cisco Jabber is compatible with mobile devices such as tablets as well and can be integrated with other tools.
We put Cisco Jabber under sustainable evidence of information sharing with suppliers and old customers, then we adapted it to internal seminar processes and finally to successful video conferencing. It has given a lot of mobility to the company.
  • The professionalism that Cisco Jabber has is positive, it contains an excellent functionality through its videoconferences that help to complement the idea of reciprocal communication with the client.
  • The investment is low because the prices are anchored under a payment system very well done.
  • I can often interact with many clients, firms and much more.
  • Everything is excellent with this program; it has no margin of error in its information uploading processes, and the Cisco Jabber execution is simple.
If you want to communicate with customers through a product whose function is simple, I think you should use Cisco Jabber, it has a great communicational reach, and it proposes a way to find a better balance of interaction.
Jason White | TrustRadius Reviewer
Currently, we use Cisco Jabber as our primary soft phone service. We previously used the chat functions, but have since switched to Slack. Jabber allows us to eliminate the need for physical phones in most cases, and allows for more flexibility in our hybrid work environment. It is currently in use by about 85% of the company.
  • Fairly easy to use.
  • Simple interface.
  • Some integrations.
  • Call quality could be better.
  • Audio functions could be easier to access.
  • Needs better cross-functionality with call control software.
For companies that are primarily using all Cisco products, Jabber makes sense. It works well in conjunction with WebEx, and other Cisco services. If you are also using Cisco desk phone, it allows for greater flexibility as you move back and forth between locations, or when traveling.

If you are using other services for your conferencing and chat, then Jabber may not be the best choice.
We use Cisco Jabber for our phone calls to clients and prospects. However, the reporting isn't always accurate and the transcription services aren't correct 100% of the time. We are actually looking to switch to a new company.
  • Customer service
  • Easy integration
  • Well known
  • Transcription services
  • Phone log data
  • Reporting
It's good for a business that has a lower call volume and/or doesn't need to record calls and transcribe information. Cisco Jabber definitely works and has a place in the workplace, but our company has found it inaccurate and hard to implement at points.
ozan guner | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Cisco Jabber as a substitute for physical desk phones at the office. We used to use Cisco IP Phone's (the classic 7942 if my memory serves me right), but they were limiting the user mobility. For example, the users could not answer their phone if they were not present at their desk, or in the office. Therefore we switched to a more mobile solution such as Jabber on a global scale.
  • Provides user mobility to work from anywhere
  • Seamless integration with other Cisco products, such as Finesse
  • Easy to configure from a user-admin perspective
  • Stability depends on internet connection more than it needs to
  • Using different tools for almost the same purpose(collaboration) is not user-friendly. Maybe a super product combining WebEx and Jabber features could be an option.
  • Expensive pricing and pricing model for big organizations (per license)
Cisco Jabber is a well-suited app to answer and make calls from your computer. Compared to the technologies we have been using, namely desk phones, it provides you the mobility that the way we currently work (Hybrid/Remote) demands due to the pandemic. The only requirement on the user side is to have a quality headset and a laptop, and you're good to go! Also from a business continuity point of view, if you are running a business where customers are calling your contact center, Cisco Jabber is the perfect solution to go to. In case of any natural disasters affecting your main-office, your customer service representatives can take customer calls from the comfort of their home. However, to be considered as a well-round collaboration tool, Cisco Jabber needs more features. Competitor apps like Teams now both have the functionality of applications such as Webex Meetings and Jabber together, making it much easier to use only one tool for both purposes and I believe Cisco can do the same with Webex and Jabber.
January 24, 2022

Cisco Jabber Review

Pratham Radadiya | TrustRadius Reviewer
It's a simple-to-use instant messaging tool that's also simple to set up and contains all the essentials you'll need to start a conversation with your colleagues.
  • Good video calling facility
  • Chat history is not saved
  • User friendly interface
  • One cannot take screenshots while in group call
  • No integration with other services
  • Frequent and long updates
No offense, Cisco Jabber is the best messaging app, but as we see other social media platforms offering similar services in almost free pricing and also provides even greater feature sets with all in one integration with multiple social media platforms. Messaging applications like Whatsapp and Telegram work just fine, now that they also provide group calls.