CrashPlan

CrashPlan

Code42 CrashPlan

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of CrashPlan, and make your voice heard!

Standard

Enterprise

Contact sales team

For the latest information on pricing, visithttp://www.code42.com/pricing

What is CrashPlan?

Data protection in a cloud backup solution for businesses with up to 200 employees, providing:
  • External drive backup
  • Customer File Retention
  • Control how long we keep deleted files are kept

File Retention

With Crashplan’s pricing the user can protect external hard drives for no additional cost. If a drive is moved, CrashPlan will pick up where it left off the next time it is plugged in.

Restore Files from Any Computer

Restoration via desktop app or browser and no charge to restore files.

Data Security

256-bit AES data encryption at rest, configurable settings, and BAA available to support HIPAA compliance needs.

The solution also provides:
Dedicated Supportavailable by chat and email. Documentation always available.
Ransomware Recovery
Restore files to the latest versions without paying a ransom for them.

CrashPlan Features

• Supported: Automatic, continuous data protection
  • Supported: Full visibility of all protected devices and data in a single dashboard
  • Supported: Self-service restore

CrashPlan Competitors

CrashPlan Technical Details

Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android, Windows Phone

What is CrashPlan?

CrashPlan is a cloud backup solution from Code42 in Minneapolis, MN.

What is CrashPlan's best feature?

Reviewers rate Usability highest, with a score of 9.8.

Who uses CrashPlan?

The most common users of CrashPlan are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees) and the Information Technology & Services industry.

April 21, 2022

Code 42 for the WIN

Matthew Dunn | TrustRadius Reviewer
Mostly the price is what drew me to Code42 -others I have used are expensive per GB storage and difficult to manage. CArbonite was costing $1000.00 a year for 1 server with 2 TB of data. Code42 helps keep down the cost and the client spends much less time paying me to monitor backups.
Unitrends is our primary backup solution here at my place of employment, and I have no complaints. It does on-prem backups to a storage pool and with that, we chose not to also use Unitrends could storage as the cost was pretty high. Code42 Crashplan has a low cost and we were familiar with it. We found a great fit for Crashplan at a remote office with a web server, file share server, and a Domain Controller in addition to the Unitrends solution there. I also set up Code42 CrashPlan for a nonprofit org, as well as a Health foods store. I felt like I could stand behind the Code42 CrashPlan solution with my experience with it, in places like these where every dollar mattered.
The main advantage that Code42 has on competing services is it's ability to back up network drives and keep your backup archives indefinitely. While Backblaze costs significantly less ($50/year/computer vs. $10/year/computer - or $120/year/computer), it does not have the ability to backup network drives and only keep backup archives for 30 days. For some clients, the additional cost of Code42 is well worth it. On the other hand, I would never recommend Carbonite, as it is both overpriced and under featured compared to Code42 and Backblaze.
Both AppAssure and Acronis Disaster Recovery Service was used in the IT business management firm in which I worked. AppAssure required off sight storage. It was challenging in that the size of offsite storage was an additional cost and rolling up could take hours. Restoring files only was a challenge to navigate. Other backups used were Backup Assist, Windows server backup, etc. While each was designed to backup servers, it was also intended to restore files. Again, rotating NAS, VSS errors, and other issues made theses systems cumbersome and sometimes incomplete when attempting to do a file only restore. Acronis Disaster Recovery Services was by far superior for system imaging and file restoration. The dashboard is relatively easy to manage, but easier to IT than the simple on-site techie like me. If what you need is file restoration then Code42 is your answer.
I have used SOS online backup. SOS might have had some advantages and was fairly easy to use, especially when searching for files. This is not to say that Code42 is difficult. But I did not feel that using SOS was justified given the exorbitant pricing scheme used by SOS.
We've been using Nakivo and Code42 together. It works great as we are able to have the peace of mind of having data backed up offsite (Code42) and locally (Nakivo) I found this combo worked better than the costly and complicated setup of both Unitrends and Zerto. My biggest complaint about Zerto is the inability to easily change drive size on a source and having the corresponding backup drive destination match that change or being able to make that change easily without having to re-sync the whole share across the WAN. Not only do we end up saving the frustration, but we saved money in the process. By leveraging existing storage space and Code42 not charging by the amount of data, we also save the cost of data storage.
Michael Bartlett | TrustRadius Reviewer
Have used Veritas, Symantec, Mozy, and Carbonite. Veritas and Symantec Backup Exec from my tape days, and Mozy and Carbonite when I wanted to move to a modern backup service. Code42's interface, cost, simplicity of use, versioning, security, and low-impact sold me. No contest with the other services in my experience.
Liz Wade | TrustRadius Reviewer
I formerly used SOS Online Backup. It was a very similar system, originally offering unlimited backups at a price similar to Code42. After more than a year of backups, SOS informed me that they'd be reducing my storage from unlimited to 2tb, and, increasing my monthly rate by 20x. This was completely unacceptable. I began to research alternatives and quickly realized that Code42 had the most to offer, so I made the switch and never went back.
Kenneth Hess | TrustRadius Reviewer
OneDrive is not a good backup solution for endpoints. It is for storing a few files and sharing those files but not for business backup. Druva is a very good product that we never had any problems with and I'm not exactly sure why we switched from it. Code42 has some extra features but they also cost quite a bit to use. There are a lot of competitors in this space and whichever one you select, you should negotiate a good price per user for it. I think that for the price Code42 is average to slightly below average in value.
John Coxen | TrustRadius Reviewer
For our business model, Carbonite was not as economical. CrashPlan offered unlimited backup and unlimited deleted file retention for similar cost. Additionally, we had better results with support during evaluation with CrashPlan.
I have used several tape drives over the years with Symantec Backup Exec. Tapes have so many negatives associated with them, I would never recommend them as a backup system. I have also tried a couple of other disk based backup systems. Compared to all other backup solutions that I have encountered, Crashplan is a pleasure to use. It is very simple, yet very powerful. Stop reading these reviews and try it for yourself. You won't be sorry.

CrashPlan just makes backups simple. It's LDAP integration isn't locked in to only AD (i.e., CommVault) and the product is much more solid and reliable than the end user portion of Tivoli's CDP offering that was replaced in our environment by CrashPlan. I can't stress enough the ease and quality of the product.
We compared CrashPlan with other choices and they were either too expensive or didn't have the backup capacity we required at the time. For lack of a better solution, we were very close to signing with Mozy, and this was years ago when CrashPlan was still a new player in the market. I found them at the eleventh hour and started the product comparison. Mozy couldn't offer us unlimited storage space and when we found that CrashPlan could, it was almost a no-brainer. Carbonite was a close contender as well, but if I recall correctly, they didn't offer enterprise level pricing that we were looking for (note, this was years ago and their current offerings may be different).
I have not used the product, but it appears to be in the same league as the Crashplan product. I tend to think Crashplan is better only because of naivete of the other product and the fact that the entire experience with Crashplan has been fantastic from setup to updating to usage. All have been great.
Rex Sarchet | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Windows Server to backup our in-house associates as they are connecting to the domain and it is easy to keep track of. Our remote associates do not connect to the domain as often so we had to find a solution to enable us to get a secure, accurate backup of their data. CrashPlan fit that bill perfectly.
Ken Bailey | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Lenovo Online Backup and Data Castle Red
CrashPlan demonstrated a more advanced development than other products we were evaluating. A number of them didn't compress and dedupe, which affected performance on the machine as well as the network. The controls and reporting of crashplan were way more intuitive and comprehensive than other products. Plus the recommendations from other larger customers also helped with our decision.
Clifford Goeke | TrustRadius Reviewer
The deduplication feature and continuous backup puts this application ahead of others. The ability to prevent users from deleting files from backups is another feature that was attractive for our management and legal team. Set and forget is great. No intervention from the remote user is even better. I don't have to worry about whether they did the backup. Cost wise the application is on par with other cloud based backup [solutions]. Plus CrashPlan will keep the user from deleting files from the backups. We evaluated iDrive, Carbonite, Zipcloud, BitCasa, and SpiderOak. CrashPlan required a little more IT setup on the front end but was a better fit for our organization.
Kayle Day | TrustRadius Reviewer
We looked at file sync solutions that require an end user to move data independently, and two major things stuck out:

1. The human error factor was high. You cannot trust people to move files, even if they are important or they've agreed to move them on a certain schedule, and inevitably the expectation is that IT will automate the process.

2. File sync is not your friend. Versioning is lost, the constant overwriting of files is prohibitive to keeping data, and it is an administrative nightmare.