Concrete5 Reviews

November 11, 2015
John Smart | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

Its a very solid, very consistent package that never lets you down or leaves you frustrated. It gets a 10/10 because its so much better than anything else currently available. It also gets a 10/10 because, even if not compared to others, it does not leave you wanting for features or functionality. It is an excellent piece of software that will answer almost every CMS need.
Read John Smart's full review
April 08, 2015
Francois Simard | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

Whenever I need to build what in our department we call a 'micro-site' or small web application, Concrete5 is the first and only choice. In one day, I can have the CMS installed and already start working on it to fit my needs. I know that anyone can later get in and improve and maintain the CMS if I'm not around without any specific training.
Read Francois Simard's full review
July 09, 2015
John Warren | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

I've been doing less and less web work recently but if I were to go back I would most likely use it again. As I've said before Concrete5 is very good at quickly creating a web presence. I'd definitely like to go back and see what new features it has.
Read John Warren's full review
June 03, 2015
Bryce Wilson | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

There is absolutely a large number of projects that Concrete5 is a perfect solution for. There are too many benefits for theme developers and clients alike, not to fall in love with the ease of Concrete5. Rather than developing in complex code that forces you to know more about php than most front-end developers care to learn, Concrete5 can be developed with a couple of simple lines of php and your HTML markup and you can hit the ground running with a full blown theme.
Read Bryce Wilson's full review
Nathanael Girard | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

I have had nothing but good experiences with Concrete5. I have used it on several client websites and even several of my own sites. It is the leading CMS I will go to if I have a need to dynamically update content on a website by people who are typically untrained. They have solved every angst I had with the other solutions I have evaluated in the past and continue to be the simplest to implement and customize.
Read Nathanael Girard's full review
Brad Fogelstrom | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

Concrete5 is highly active in its development, and there are even more exciting new improvements coming in Concrete 5.7! Also, the quality of its add-ons and themes surpasses that of other popular CMSs. I will continue to make Concrete5 my CMS of choice for a majority of my future projects.
Read Brad Fogelstrom's full review
June 20, 2014
Melanie Mumme | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

I would never discourage a client from using Concrete5, and I will continue to offer Concrete5, among other CMS, to new clients. I think Concrete5 will continue to grow and the number of quality add-ons will do the same. The core of Conctere5 is powerful and the interface is pleasing, there is room for improvement but I think people will continue to support this CMS, adding to its value overtime.
Read Melanie Mumme's full review
June 17, 2014
Daniel Caryll | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

I'm completely comfortable with using Concrete5 for any size project and look forward to using it again in the future. Although some projects or clients may call for another content management system, Concrete5 will always be my safety net in terms of getting a project up and running. I look forward to continuing to build custom themes and utilizing plugins in the future in both my freelance and full-time web development positions.
Read Daniel Caryll's full review
June 16, 2014
Owen Dessauer | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

I feel there is a real dichotomy in Concrete5 between it's ease of entry, intuitiveness, etc., and just how powerful and extendable it is. In the hands of an experienced developer who knows how to code, Concrete5 has an architecture that allows so much more. In as far as off the shelf CMS's go (as opposed to a high end custom coded solution when creating the next Facebook, etc.), it's virtually unlimited. Just to briefly compare to Drupal, which is widely regarded as extremely flexible and scalable, for example, the Concrete5 Attributes compare to Drupals Field API. The form Helper is it's equivalent to the Drupal Form API, and there's more. I think many knowledgeable developers would agree that Concrete5 Add-ons are its version of Drupal modules and Wordpress plugins, only better because they almost never break a site or conflict with one another. So if you know how to utilize its helpers, libraries, objects, etc., you have a powerhouse CMS at your fingertips.
Read Owen Dessauer's full review
June 13, 2014
Christine Will | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

Right now Concrete5 just works. As long as development continues on the software and it fits my needs I will continue to use it. I do not see any reason to look elsewhere.
Read Christine Will's full review
June 07, 2014
Wayne Stewart | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

The Concrete5 marketplace and constant improvement of Concrete5 by its developers are the major reasons why I will continue to use this product. The marketplace has hundreds of add on modules that can improve the functionality of your website. The developers of Concrete5 have many training videos that help web developers get up and running with a Concrete5 website in very little time.
Read Wayne Stewart's full review
Michael Thomas | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

As a developer I like to tailor CMS's and make the impossible possible. I just seem to get my hands dirty enough while using Concrete5. I like the challenge of building out our vision where I see Concrete5 as more of a plug and play. For those reasons I would be less likely to use Concrete5 again in the future.
Read Michael Thomas's full review
June 03, 2014
Doug Dawson | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

The application is actively maintained, the support is excellent for a free application and the documentation is good. The templating in Concrete5 just makes sense to me and I like that I can add my own custom PHP pages or add-ons without much trouble. Hosting for PHP tends to cheaper than .NET hosting, so it is cost effective, as well.
Read Doug Dawson's full review
December 16, 2014

• Ease of use
  • In-context editing
  • Being able to use your own design
  • Satisfaction with community
  • 5.7 looks promising although addons are few at the moment
June 03, 2014

Likelihood to Renew

Concrete5 doesn't cost anything and extra features and add-ons are always fairly priced (if they're not already free). The eCommerce feature only requires a one-time fee and is very useful for small to medium-sized online stores. It's an option that is available to the client in the future as well, if they're not ready to implement it at the beginning of the project. C5 is one of the easiest CMS to use according to web developers, web designers, and clients I've worked with.

Role-based user permissions (16)
API (12)
10.0
Internationalization / multi-language (10)
WYSIWYG editor (20)
Code quality / cleanliness (16)
9.2
Admin section (18)
Page templates (18)
Library of website themes (17)
6.5
Mobile optimization / responsive design (17)
Publishing workflow (15)
9.2
SEO support (18)
Bulk management (17)
3.8
Availability / breadth of extensions (17)
Community / comment management (18)

What is Concrete5?

concrete5 is a free and open source PHP built content management system for content on the web and also for intranets. Its emphasis is on management and editing with minimal technical skills and with an embedded editor allows most editing to be done directly from a page, rather than through an entirely separate interface or editor. It features integrated server caching, supports OpenID, version control, and SEO. As with most open source content management systems, its content management functionality can be augmented with many possible addons or via the developer API.

Online magazines and newspapers are the ideal target of concrete5's capabilities though many other sites can be made and managed as well. concrete5 is touted as being both developer and DIY friendly. Marketplace content to extend features are both free and not free, so cost of implementation will vary.