Concrete5 is a free and open source, PHP built content management system for content on the web and also for intranets. It is optimized to support the creation of online magazines and newspapers.https://media.trustradius.com/product-logos/te/BQ/A3C6AHET2X8R.PNGConcrete5 - a CMS with a good past, and a better futureI discovered Concrete5 3 years ago. I was thoroughly disappointed with Wordpress, and started to create my own CMS. Then an associate sent me a link to Concrete5. It was all I wanted mine to be, and then some! More recently, 5.7.came out, which has a new interface, and couldn't be easier for the end user. The intuitive interface allows easy creation and management of pages, with help for SEO, and a wealth of plugins. With different user roles, its easy to allow different departments to manage their own site areas. We are a web host, and have an easy install solution for this program, but if you don't use that, the install is remarkably easy to do, with a friendly interface. Like any online solution, it is not the best answer for every need. But it is the best answer for most needs. With an ever growing supply of themes and plugins, you should definitely look at this for your CMS solutions. Except for sites that we build needing a lot of custom coding, all of our web sites are now run on Concrete5.,In-line Editing: 7 + has in-line editing, so you see your changes appear in the place they will be on the live site, in the font they will be and the size that they will be. File Management: Excellent file manager, allowing images to be grouped, tags added, lists of what pages use that image, so you can put the images in sets for being used together (in sliders, for instance). Very Human! Every contact you make with the site, the mail that comes to you is from the owner of the group. (Yes, Concrete5 is Open Source.) Very friendly, very nicely done.,If you upgrade from pre 5.7 to 5.7, adding pages is rather tricky. Once you are familiar with it, it makes perfect sense! If you are using an older computer, the admin pages are very slow to render. In some cases, using the column tool will stop a responsive theme from being responsive. This is not the theme's issue, as we have used it many times in the same theme. Some pages stop being responsive, others do not. ("Stop being responsive" is technically incorrect, they behave improperly as they resize. This is with text-only content, and does not have images distorting them.) The only way to add h tags is to click on the html editor of a block, and add the the tag to the heading.,10,Concrete5 has made it much easier for us to stay on top of keeping our websites current. It also allows easy distribution of work load across departments. The "Stack" feature allows us to design something that can be incorporated on many pages. Then by updating the stack all those pages are instantly updated - saving lots of time, and preventing us from overlooking any element that needs an update. Amazing support. I have needed support once, and it was there - human and fast.,WordPress,Developer,100-1,000 pages,3,1,Ease of updating multiple pages. When changing a block that is used in multiple pages, the work load can escalate rapidly. With Concrete5, you just change the stack in one location, and all the pages using that are instantly updated. This is a huge time saver Team members can change a page without the changes going live. Then management can review, and publish or correct, then publish as needed. This removes any need for urgent fixes. Statistics help us to see directly which pages are doing well and which need a little help, allowing us to keep our site polished.,We use it as an intranet - we never bothered with an intranet before, but this makes it easy - and it is ever so useful. That was not something we intended to do - I installed a Concrete5 locally for testing, then as others tested it too, we started leaving notes, then sharing files through it, and without planning on it, we had our first intranet! We use concrete 5 to manage internal documents, CRM, even password management! (for a very carefully selected group of passwords, on a system that is not accessible from outside of our office) It is a most effective tool.,We are looking to do more with the ecommerce side of it, and rather than just developing plugins for our clients, we are planning on launching plugins for the general public to use.,10,Yes,Product Features Product Usability Prior Experience with the Product,If I could do it all over, I would have started using Concrete5 much sooner than I did.,Implemented in-house,Yes,Change management was minimal,There really were none. Its simple, and well done. Sometimes simple gets really complicated, but not with concrete 5,10,No,10,Yes,I confess to forgetting the details, but I asked the lead programmer a question, regarding optimizing the MySQL databases, and he sent me a full answer, and a Concrete5 tshirt! I stall have the shirt, and I still have optimized tables :),editing a page. You log in, you navigate to the page (looking at the site as you would normally see it, with a new menu at the very top) then click "edit". now you can click on any content, and change it in-situ - not on an admin pop up, but right there on the page. Same font, same size, same color. So easy! Stacks. you can make some content (say your social media links) and put it on one, some or all pages. Then, if you want to add another social link to it, you add it in one place, and it instantly updates all the occurrences of it Form building. It has never been easier to build a simple, or complex form. beautifully written form builder makes it so easy! SEO - a bis issue with many CMS's is the page titles are often DOMAIN.com :: page name Ugly, not great for SEO. Now, I often have to go back and do SEO later, as I am focused on other things - with concrete5, I can go to one page, and fix meta title, content and (now depreciated) keywords for every page, from one screen,As I mentioned before, when upgrading from pre 5.7. to post 5.7 adding pages is very awkward. Once you learn that, there is no stopping you! And once you learn that, you see how much easier it is in the new version. Sadly, upgrading from pre 5.7 to post 5.7 is not automated. All plugins need to be rewritten, all content needs to be copied by hand. Its frustrating, but given the scope of the upgrade, well worth it.,Yes,10,9
Concrete5

Concrete5 Reviews

Concrete5

Do you work for this company?

Showing 1 of 62 Concrete5 ratings and reviews.

Role-based user permissions (16)
9.7
API (12)
10.0
Internationalization / multi-language (10)
WYSIWYG editor (20)
Code quality / cleanliness (16)
Admin section (18)
Page templates (18)
Library of website themes (17)
6.5
Mobile optimization / responsive design (17)
9.7
Publishing workflow (15)
9.6
Form generator (17)
Content taxonomy (18)
SEO support (18)
Bulk management (17)
5.5
Availability / breadth of extensions (17)
Community / comment management (18)

About Concrete5

concrete5 is a free and open source PHP built content management system for content on the web and also for intranets. Its emphasis is on management and editing with minimal technical skills and with an embedded editor allows most editing to be done directly from a page, rather than through an entirely separate interface or editor. It features integrated server caching, supports OpenID, version control, and SEO. As with most open source content management systems, its content management functionality can be augmented with many possible addons or via the developer API.

Online magazines and newspapers are the ideal target of concrete5's capabilities though many other sites can be made and managed as well. concrete5 is touted as being both developer and DIY friendly. Marketplace content to extend features are both free and not free, so cost of implementation will vary.