https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/17/zE/IUB02PH384C7.JPEGSQLdm is a very clear window into your SQL environmentI am the sole DBA of a company that has facilities in the US and in Europe. In order to effectively keep up with the health of our SQL servers (I manage about 20), I needed a tool that would let me quickly assess which servers needed my attention and which ones were behaving as expected. SQLdm provides me the information that I need to address any complaints about speed and connectivity from an interface that's easy to move around in.,SQLdm does a good job of providing information at a high level, but also allows me to drill down to specific queries and events if needed. I don't always need to sift through tons of details to get the information I need. It also gives a very wide range of information from SQL specific metrics, to OS metrics, to VM metrics, all the way up to host server metrics. I like how the alert and notification system can be customized. For example, if you know a certain server regularly has long-running queries, you can adjust the alert to not fire unless a query has been running for 30 minutes while the rest of the servers fire after 30 seconds. That is very helpful in not being bombarded at dinner with alerts from a server similar to, "I've been at 90% cpu for 26 milliseconds!!!!!!!...and now it's back down to 30%" Good information to know, but not something you need to literally lose sleep over. I like how you can configure different servers to be monitored differently. For example, you can have a group of servers called DEVELOPMENT that you can turn on heavier monitoring on so you can test how changes in applications might affect the SQL environment, but in the PRODUCTION group, you may only want to enable the heavier analysis and logging when performance issues are actively being reported.,While there is reporting present in the app, I don't find it to be very configurable. I eventually pointed our reporting software at the SQLdm database so I could craft my own reporting. The reporting that's there is sufficient for a lot of things, but for more detailed analysis and trending, it's a little light The config right out of the box feels a little heavy to me. It leans towards the side of over monitoring and over notifying. For example, I view "critical" alerts as those that I'd want to be woken up at 3am for. After a fresh install, I felt like I was getting so many "critical" alerts that I was starting to ignore them. I had to spend a good bit of time tweaking. Sometimes the interface seems laggy. Switching between individual servers and switching screens can take what feels like a long time. I'm not sure if it's the way I have the client configured or something up with my machine, but this app in particular feels slower than it should.,9,It saves me a significant amount of time each week, freeing me up for other important tasks. I couldn't possibly monitor each server individually to the extent that SQLdm does. With the wealth of information I can get to easily, I can be more proactive in taking care of my environments rather than reactive. The times when other people notice something happening before I do are few and far between.
Windows
SQL Diagnostic Manager

SQL Diagnostic Manager Reviews

SQL Diagnostic Manager
Filter 7 vetted SQL Diagnostic Manager reviews and ratings
Greg Goss profile photo
April 27, 2018

SQL Diagnostic Manager Review: "SQLdm is a very clear window into your SQL environment"

• SQLdm does a good job of providing information at a high level, but also allows me to drill down to specific queries and events if needed. I don't always need to sift through tons of details to get the information I need. It also gives a very wide range of information from SQL specific metrics, to OS metrics, to VM metrics, all the way up to host server metrics.
  • I like how the alert and notification system can be customized. For example, if you know a certain server regularly has long-running queries, you can adjust the alert to not fire unless a query has been running for 30 minutes while the rest of the servers fire after 30 seconds. That is very helpful in not being bombarded at dinner with alerts from a server similar to, "I've been at 90% cpu for 26 milliseconds!!!!!!!...and now it's back down to 30%" Good information to know, but not something you need to literally lose sleep over.
  • I like how you can configure different servers to be monitored differently. For example, you can have a group of servers called DEVELOPMENT that you can turn on heavier monitoring on so you can test how changes in applications might affect the SQL environment, but in the PRODUCTION group, you may only want to enable the heavier analysis and logging when performance issues are actively being reported.
  • While there is reporting present in the app, I don't find it to be very configurable. I eventually pointed our reporting software at the SQLdm database so I could craft my own reporting. The reporting that's there is sufficient for a lot of things, but for more detailed analysis and trending, it's a little light
  • The config right out of the box feels a little heavy to me. It leans towards the side of over monitoring and over notifying. For example, I view "critical" alerts as those that I'd want to be woken up at 3am for. After a fresh install, I felt like I was getting so many "critical" alerts that I was starting to ignore them. I had to spend a good bit of time tweaking.
  • Sometimes the interface seems laggy. Switching between individual servers and switching screens can take what feels like a long time. I'm not sure if it's the way I have the client configured or something up with my machine, but this app in particular feels slower than it should.
If you have several SQL servers and don't have a lot of time or resources to constantly monitor them, SQLdm will be very helpful. For one or two servers, it might be overkill. All of our servers are virtual, so having a tool that can monitor host metrics as well as guest metrics is a plus as well.
Read Greg Goss's full review

SQL Diagnostic Manager Scorecard Summary

Performance dashboard (1)
Intelligent alerting (1)
Top SQL (1)
Historical trend data (1)
Virtualization support (1)

About SQL Diagnostic Manager

SQL Diagnostic Manager is a performance monitoring, alerting and diagnostics solution that proactively notifies administrators to health, performance or availability problems within their SQL Server environment via a central console or mobile device. SQL Diagnostic Manager promises to minimize costly server downtime by providing agent-less, real-time monitoring and customizable alerting for fast diagnosis and remediation of SQL Server performance and availability problems.

SQL Diagnostic Manager Competitors