Feature rich IDE

November 04, 2021

Eclipse: Grand Old IDE

October 11, 2021

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Eclipse, and make your voice heard!

8 people want pricing too

What is PyCharm?

PyCharm is a Python IDE which also contains static code testing capabilities.

What is IntelliJ IDEA?

IntelliJ IDEA is an IDE for Java Virtual Machine (JVM) from JetBrains. The vendor states IntelliJ IDEA analyzes code, looking for connections between symbols across all project files and languages. Using this information it provides indepth coding assistance, quick navigation, clever error analysis,…

Eclipse Video

15 Years of the Eclipse Foundation

Eclipse Integrations

Eclipse Technical Details

Eclipse is a free and open source integrated development environment (IDE).

What is Eclipse's best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 7.4.

Who uses Eclipse?

The most common users of Eclipse are from Enterprises (1,001+ employees) and the Computer Software industry.

We use Eclipse for developing the software. The software is developed in JAVA with a usage of Spring, Hibernate and some other frameworks. As we can choose from 2 IDE products within our IT department, it can be used by whoever decides to use it. It addresses business problems connected with our software.
  • Free of charge
  • Customizable
  • Plugin integration
  • Sometimes freezes
  • It would be great to have some built-in code replacement feature
As Eclipse is free of charge, my organization saves the money for license purchases. Even though the product is free, it does not mean it lacks features as code completion, plugin integration, all of these work well. I like the fact I can open multiple projects in project explorer, and I have them accessible all in one place without the need to open a new window.
November 04, 2021

Feature rich IDE

We the entire team at my company use Eclipse as the primary IDE for both Java and C++ development projects. We use it for both CDT and JDT development environments. Since it is very well maintained IDE and is in existence for more than a decade now, it is quite powerful and feature rich.
  • Great debugging related features
  • Very easy UI
  • Fast and integrates with so many other third party plugins
  • Seems slower at times when dealing with more plugins
  • CDT mode for C++ sometimes creates running probles
  • CDT on Ubuntu needs improvement as at times doesn't open the IDE
Eclipse IDE is very well suited for very large code base projects where in the code files runs into 100s of source files or even thousands of source files. The left pane of file listing comes very handy when you are searching some specific searches across that huge code base of 1000s of source files within your project. Debugging features are rich in this IDE.
We currently use Eclipse IDE for some departments that like to use this IDE for software development. Our developers use it to quickly write code and deploy as it is easy to use and onboard new devs on it. It is also written to write unit testing for some of our applications. We also use Eclipse to deploy and test the applications using third-party tools which can be directly integrated into eclipse like TestNG.
  • Free of cost
  • Easy to use and onboard with simple UI
  • Ton of Debugging options/features
  • Code completion is really solid
  • Sometimes it feels Eclipse is clunky and it takes a lot of processing power
  • It is great for some languages, but not all. It was hard to code in Java for example
  • Not too many integrations with other testing apps/3rd party apps
Eclipse is great for small teams/apps with a tight budget. It does not make sense for larger organizations with heavy integrations with other apps. In that case, a Visual Studio solution would make sense. Also, Eclipse doesn't tie you down to a certain OS environment so you can work in Linux or windows. Also, this is a great application just to learn programming quickly and easily for new devs or even writing small programs to automate tasks.
Ejaz Hussain | TrustRadius Reviewer
Eclipse has been used very extensively all across our development teams for building variety of software products. I consider it to be one of the most reliable & versatile IDE in the market as it has almost every features which a developer would look for. It works & integrates very well with repositories like Github & SVN. It's overall user friendly UI helps developers write the code without any hassle. We were looking for an IDE which can support programming in multiple languages, so eclipse has really helped us in this aspect.
  • Support multiple plugins installation.
  • Simple & easy to use UI.
  • Support multiple programming languages.
  • Good debugging features.
  • Becomes slow at times when multiple plugins gets added
  • Intellisense doesn't work sometimes.
  • Takes a lot of memory when dealing with bigger projects
It's an easy to use IDE which fulfills almost every purpose for a developer. For me I would highly recommend using this IDE when working with Java or Javascript programming language. However it supports other languages too with availability of different perspective.
Giovanni Paredes | TrustRadius Reviewer
Eclipse IDE is used in the IT department for software development and solutions to problems that arise within the organization on a daily basis. It is used for the creation of services until the creation of compiled files to be consumed by other processes, it is also used to create personalized libraries that will be consumed by other services or programs.

These softwares can be used throughout the organization for daily tasks that can be presented to users.
  • Debugging
  • Mark of errors
  • Compilation
  • Updating the libraries
  • The way you find some configurations of the toolkit
Being free, it is one of the best IDE for Java programming, it offers you a wide range of plugins that allow you to customize it as you like.
October 11, 2021

Eclipse: Grand Old IDE

Eclipse is used in [the] software development department by developers that need to write code in Java programming language. As it's an integrated development environment (IDE), it speeds up the code writing and compilation processes by having features that assist with tasks that developers have to deal with daily, like code completion and unit testing.
  • Unit testing
  • Eclipse Marketplace
  • Code completion
  • UI should be modernized and could be more user friendly
  • Using workspaces could be voluntary
[The] biggest advantage of Eclipse is the large amount of installable addon software available for it in Eclipse Marketplace, and it's easy to install them through the UI. It's a great and established IDE with every feature available you would imagine you ever need, but the UI is dated, and more user friendly options exist.
Eclipse is the recommended IDE by default for application development using the JAVA language. We develop Rest APIs and MVC web applications with it.
  • Easy to set up
  • bad interface
  • high memory consumption
  • bad usability
To be honest, I don't recommend Eclipse at all. [In my opinion] it's an old IDE, with bad interface, confusing usability, with high memory consumption and there are better, smarter, more feature-rich, and lighter IDEs than Eclipse.
October 06, 2021

My review of Eclipse

Xialin Zhu | TrustRadius Reviewer
It's one of the IDEs that many developers use daily. Most Java engineers use it to write and debug code. It's used across the entire engineering team.
  • Lots of debugging features
  • Auto-completion saved a lot of time for developers
  • Extensibility is not as good as IntelliJ
  • It uses more resources than some other IDEs. It becomes pretty slow when the project is big.
It's suitable for almost all Java development work. Despite areas of improvement, it's still one of the best IDEs out there.
Tharsanan Kurukulasingam | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Eclipse for writing java code and we have created an Eclipse plugin for our development as well. My day to day work is involved with Eclipse as I am a java developer. Developing code, starting servers and version controlling are very straightforward. Eclipse provides a lot of plugins to use. For example, we can use various plugins to detect code smells.
  • Simple UI for development.
  • A lot of plugins to use. (Unit testing plugins, code formatter plugins, etc)
  • Eclipse is free.
  • Very suited for managing large projects.
  • Even though the UI is simple, Eclipse can work on its UI especially since beginners find it hard to find options and features.
  • I feel like eclipse can optimize its performance.
  • In my personal usage I am facing a lot of crashes when using multiple work spaces. I think eclipse can improve its memory management.
For Large project, Eclipse is well suited to its competitors.
If you are looking to start with development (java), then Eclipse is a nice place to get started.
Eclipse is free so for individual programmers, it's well suited.
If you need cool UI with good IntelliSense then maybe eclipse is not for you.
Eclipse is used in different departments of my organization, mainly in all IT-related departments, where having a trustworthy IDE is a must. Its main purpose is to be a platform to work with Java projects. I use it myself professionally, but I've also used it when learning to program in Java.
  • Great IDE for Java programming
  • Lots of plugins and integrations, as it's open-source
  • UI is simple so it's easy to find everything you need for coding
  • The debugger is one of the best I've tried
  • When working with bigger projects takes up a lot of RAM and sometimes it crashes
  • Not so prepared for other languages than Java
I think that if someone asked me for an IDE for Java programming, I would definitely recommend Eclipse as is one of the most complete solutions for this language out there. If the main programming language of that person is not Java, I don't think Eclipse would suit his needs[.]
Eclipse is an integrated development environment (IDE) used in computer programming. I used Eclipse mainly to develop Java applications. It was being used by most developers I know that write Java code. I would say it is the best IDE for Java but it can also be used for other coding languages and applications. I use it both personally and professionally.
  • IntelliSense is awesome.
  • Run and compile Java with ease.
  • The theme and animations can affect performance.
  • It does support a lot of languages, but not as good as Java.
It is amazing and the best IDE for Java that I recommend to other developers. If you disable some of the unnecessary spell check and the plugins, and also change the theme it can be very nice and fast, and it helps to improve performance. Also it is really good to have it on your resume.
I have not worked with the support directly myself, but from the overall feedback I hear from other users, I think it is good overall. Everyone can open bugs and ask questions on our forums which I really like also there is good overall support online as it is a very common IDE.
Bhavin Kapadia | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Eclipse-based IDE like QNX Momentics, NXP KDS, and TI's Code composer. This includes R&D and Testing. It provides one single platform to write code, compile, flash it on target, debug, and unit testing.
  • Debug.
  • Compilation.
  • Support for different build systems like CMAKE.
  • Easy to get standard plugins from marketplace.
  • RAM usage.
  • Hang issue at times.
  • Improve support for CMAKE. Currently, it cannot directly import CMakeList file as project.
Eclipse is well suited when team wants only 1 IDE to do all the work.

Legacy project with different build system that Eclipse might not support.

I think if the resolve the following 2 things I would give 10/10.

1. Hang issues
2. Support for CMake
Rajshekhar Sahu | TrustRadius Reviewer
In my college, all labs are using Eclipse to teach the students. Labs in computer science and IT departments and also in the building of first-year students too. This software is used for teaching the students, coding in Java SE, and web development in Java EE. I personally used this software to develop my projects. I first used this software when I was learning the java in my coaching institute Vedisoft, and then I became used to it because it is the simplest and fastest IDE I have ever seen.
  • Simple layout, no complex options are provided.
  • Boot up time is short compared to other IDE.
  • GIT integration is a good feature.
  • Good project management.
  • Nice debugger and auto complete feature is good.
  • There is no java-script debugger.
  • No customization allowed in the theme of IDE.
  • Switching perspective takes a bit much time.
  • Integration of tomcat server is a bit of a headache.
Eclipse is most suitable for students who are beginners in the world of programming, its simple layout and fast behavior helps the student to learn faster, become comfortable faster and students can quickly understand the layout of Eclipse as it is the mother IDE of all IDEs. But if you are not a beginner, and do something like developing a real-time software or website, you should use IntelliJ IDEA for this purpose as 65% of Java developers are currently using IntelliJ.
I gave this rating because Eclipse is an open-source free IDE therefore no support system is available as far as I know. I have to go through other sources to solve my problem which is very tough and annoying. So if you are using Eclipse then you are on your own, as a student, it is not a big issue for me but for developers it is a need.
Akash Khurana | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used Eclipse, an integrated development environment (IDE), for software development. I develop Java Enterprise applications using Eclipse. We have some of the departments using Eclipse, while some other departments use other IDEs. It is open-source, has advanced debugging options, and is easy to use.
We installed several other plugins in Eclipse for the Version Control System, Lambok for code shorthand, and much more.
  • Easily integration of the Version Control System, GIT.
  • Easily integrate with Maven
  • Advanced debugging options
  • Features extension by plugins
  • Simple, which makes development fast.
  • It takes more memory.
  • A restart is required after installing every plugin.
  • It could be more fast.
  • Direct deployment on AWS.
Appropriate:
  • Development of the Java Enterprise application.
  • It is open-source, has advanced debugging options, and is easy to use.
  • Install several other plugins in Eclipse like Git, SVN for the Version Control System, and Lambok for code shorthand.
Less appropriate:
  • Less appropriate for the very large project as it consumes large memory and the system starts hanging, which leads to slow development
Bob Smith | TrustRadius Reviewer
Eclipse is our chosen IDE (Integrated Development Environment) of choice for all of our Java applications. We have been using it to build thick and thin client applications for the past 14 years to solve internal and external issues. Eclipse, with its plugin framework, allows it to be extended and integrate with most technologies providing a familiar environment no matter the technology used.
  • Maven Integration and Support
  • Subversion/Git integration
  • Eclipse has a large foot print
  • Updated versions require you to build out your plugins and migrate your projects
Eclipse is my go-to environment for Java development. I've also used it for embedded, C/C++, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, and more. Sometimes you need a few versions of Eclipse so it is easier to work between the different types of projects. Because Eclipse is open source there is a very large support base. I've used some of the enterprise versions of Eclipse before, but never really needed the paid features.
Being that Eclipse is open source and has a massive user base, there is outstanding community support. There are also enterprise version which offers paid support if you're into that sort of thing. That being said, I would be amiss to not share that I have spent hours and sometimes days trying to figure out why something was occurring in the environment or trying to replicate an issue another colleague was experiencing but I was not.
February 11, 2020

Coffee and Eclipse

It's currently used by some teams who are working on open-source technologies. It's the best IDE for Java development.
  • Stable.
  • User friendly.
  • Add themes.
  • Better integration with Git.
It's well suited for Java-related work. Has tons of plugins, adding and community support.
Wide support from Oracle and community.
Currently, Eclipse is being used by the technical team (developers) and the business intelligence team, for both software development and big data report generation. Because it's an SAP consultancy firm, sometimes it needs to be used alongside with SAP Netweaver (SAP GUI) for additional features.
  • ABAP development.
  • Java development.
  • It's a heavy tool and usually crashes.
  • The UI could be more modern.
Eclipse is a great tool to use alongside with SAP GUI. It makes the ABAP and CDS development faster.
I never had to use Eclipse support, but the online community is very helpful.
We are using Eclipse for building modern apps for multiple platforms such as Android, web, and desktop. Eclipse made it easy to deploy applications on cloud platforms due to the availability of plugins, and it is very easy to build a maven project based on Java using Eclipse. I have been using Eclipse for more than 5 years for both desktop and web-based application development. Vibrant support for the various tools of the Java enterprise makes the development of web-based applications a lot more effective and time-saving.
  • Simplified IDE makes it easy to write clean and efficient code.
  • Debugging is very easy in Eclipse.
  • Sometimes it crashes on loading big projects.
  • More language support is required such as python.
Since it is a modern development IDE, it can be used by both novices and experts alike to build effective applications and software. Working on Eclipse makes it very comfortable to write code and debug it. It is also free to use and we don't need to spend money to get Eclipse. Vibrant plugins are offered in the Eclipse marketplace as well.
Eclipse support is very responsive and I believe that regular updates and improvements are being made by the team to make the IDE better and robust to use. Eclipse also provides the feature to report any bug instantly directly to the support team. They respond to the report very fast and take quick action.
Sudha Govindaraju | TrustRadius Reviewer
I was a developer for a startup based in Houston. I used the Eclipse IDE to mainly develop Java applications. The Eclipse Software Development Kit(SDK) includes Java developers is meant for Java developers like me. It is free and open-source software. It also helped me develop applications in other programming languages via plug-ins. It really benefited our company as being the one IDE that supports programming in multiple languages.
  • Great framework for building Java applications.
  • Tons of great tools to add on it.
  • Running off and building something when the user doesn't ask it to.
  • Loses its way often/glitches which can require a restart.
Eclipse IDE is just as useful as any other IDE's on the market. One good thing about Eclipse IDE is free to use. It is extremely fast and flexible, and is very powerful for refactoring when working with several projects. However, Eclipse IDE misses many features compared to, say IntelliJ, but it does have a huge array of plugins delivering capabilities that aren't necessarily available with any other platform.
I was satisfied with the use of Eclipse as long as my project worked.
January 10, 2020

My Take on Eclipse

It is used across the whole organization as a tool for any Java-related development. It speeds up and solves development mechanisms at my organization in order such as allowing users to easily perform Proof of Concepts around multiple technology stacks around Java and as well the faster development process helps as well.
  • Stacks of integrated features.
  • Easy predictors for development.
  • Documentation.
  • JavaDoc integration.
It speeds up and solves development mechanisms at my organization in order such as allowing users to easily perform Proof of Concepts around multiple technology stacks around java and as well the faster development process helps as well. Predictors for development based upon the choice of language. Multiple variants of specific development stacks.
I never used the support service.
Eclipse is the standard IDE used for Java development in the Technology department. Eclipse solves large projects well with complete code compilation and handles plug-in development. Eclipse is used for software development for trading and compliance applications that utilize MAVEN, AVRO, GIT which are essential to these applications. Eclipse enables different programming languages including Python, Java, and C++ which are vital to the firm. In addition, Eclipse is integrated with subversion which is the configuration management tool used firm-wide.
  • Eclipse organizes imports well and does a good job presenting different programming languages.
  • Eclipse auto formats source code allowing customization and increased readability.
  • Eclipse reports errors automatically to users rather than logging it to the console.
  • Eclipse has coding shortcuts and auto-correction features allowing faster software development.
  • Eclipse setup is long, non-intuitive and not user-friendly for beginners.
  • The documentation feature is so difficult that it is often not used.
  • The Project explorer is hard to read and not a good organizer.
  • Eclipse look and feel and not as appealing as IntelliJ.
Eclipse is suitable for large-scale projects. It's not so user-friendly for smaller projects whereas IntelliJ is a more appropriate IDE built for small projects and beginner users.
Eclipse is a solid IDE for more experienced developers who are more familiar with plug-in development and many features it offers. It takes more time to get a simple project compiled, built and up and running. Eclipse environment is outdated and the user community is lacking support on some topics or issues. Eclipse is harder to use for Web Services and C++ which was my primary use.
Eclipse is being used across the organization on various platforms. Multiple projects built on Java are implemented on Eclipse.
  • Integration with database drivers.
  • Availability of plugins for pretty much any implementation that can be seamlessly integrated.
  • Ability to profile the code to identify memory and data leaks causing the application to slow down.
  • On some configurations, Eclipse can get extremely slow in responding, and its a known issue with many users facing similar problems. This is very inconsistent.
  • Some versions of Eclipse does not support the automatic code completion for JavaServer Faces and JavaFX tags.
I prefer to use Eclipse ONLY if my projects are configured using a build tool like Maven or Gradle. It is incredibly tedious to configure projects otherwise due to the classpath issues.

NetBeans is much more straight forward and more straightforward to configure the libraries and dependencies when a project is built with no build tools.
Eclipse has a vast user base on stack overflow and other active developer forums, and mostly you can always troubleshoot following the documentation.
In our company currently, Eclipse is being phased-out, since other products were decided to serve as the main integrated development environment used for Java and other JVM languages. However, it is still widely used for the development of existing software in low-level languages such as C, C++, and Fortran. Thanks to its vast ecosystem of various plug-ins it helps a lot to increase the productivity of development.
  • Efficient architecture with plug-ins providing all the functionality on top of the powerful run-time system.
  • The ecosystem of different plug-ins for a wide variety of neat features.
  • Rich client platform for implementing robust desktop applications.
  • The design of the UI could be improved and modernized.
  • Integration with version control systems is a bit slow.
  • Syntax prediction tools are solved better in other IDE products.
Eclipse platform is really well suited for the development of projects written in low-level languages. Versatile implementation of the OSGI framework specification is capable of dynamically running multiple separate extensions. On the other hand, for Java and Scala-based projects, better environments exist which are outperforming Eclipse in several areas such as stability and ease of use.
All the Eclipse platform source code is publicly available which makes it very easy to solve your problems on your own. Sometimes it is more efficient to get an assist from various project experts which are straightforward to reach. There are also third-party companies offering good quality, professional support with quite an affordable pricing.
Larry Reed | TrustRadius Reviewer
Eclipse is used by various people but is not generally used by the organization. I was a user before I started at SurveyMonkey and continued to use it up until early in 2019. The company has generally not encouraged any particular IDE until this year. Most folks tended to use SublimeText, with a fair number using PyCharm, and only a few of us on Eclipse. Those of us using Eclipse like it's fully integrated debugging environment for Python (which also attracted users to PyCharm, which is essentially Eclipse with paid-for enhancements). I particularly liked being able to use it to access SQL Server in the same environment as Python and Javascript.
  • It is very good at managing many files under edit. I like the ability to manage multiple projects and multiple files. It supports a wide variety of file formats with type-specific syntax formatting.
  • I like the integrated debugging facility. In particular, we used a remote file system debugger with Python in external VMs to great effect.
  • I like the ability to access multiple types of databases in the integrated development environment. It provides connectors for a wide variety of databases and supports most basic DB access methods.
  • GIT integration is very effective. You can easily manage repositories and connect them to projects, and the project integration into GIT is virtually seamless.
  • While the DB integration is broad (many connectors) it isn't particularly deep. So if you need to do serious DB work on (for example) SQL Server, it is sometimes necessary to go directly to the SQL Server Studio. But for general access and manipulation, it is ok.
  • The syntax formatting is sometimes painful to set up and doesn't always support things well. For example, it doesn't effectively support SCSS.
  • Using it for remote debugging in a VM works pretty well, but it is difficult to set up and there is no documentation I could find to really explain how to do it. When remote debugging, the editor does not necessarily integrate the remote context. So, for example, things like Pylint don't always find the libraries in the VM and display spurious errors.
  • The debugging console is not the default, and my choice is never remembered, so every time I restart my program, it's a dialog and several clicks to get it back. The debugging console has the same contextual problems with remote debugging that the editor does.
For immediate local development, it's great. You can run tests and do debugging directly. For remote environments (typical if you develop in a VM or container environment) the setup is painful and pretty much undocumented.
It's open-source, so support for any given issue is hit or miss. It is a conglomeration of a bazillion tools that don't usually complement each other, and often compete with each other. So it's hard to know what to use or when to switch to something else. As a python developer, PyCharm is better because it's basically Eclipse with real support and focus on Python development.
I've used Eclipse since my student days as it is a very versatile development environment. Currently, we use Eclipse as the preferred way to write ABAP code for the SAP environment, and to manage our HANA landscape. Eclipse is mainly used by our developers and IT staff, and we have used it with our clients as well.
  • Eclipse, through its library of tools, is exceptionally broad and can be customized to suit just about any situation.
  • Eclipse SAP HANA tools are the best way to manage a HANA database.
  • Eclipse SAP ABAP tools are the preferred way to develop CDS views and modern ABAP programs.
  • The biggest issue I have with Eclipse is probably its biggest selling point: it's so big that it can be quite cumbersome to get the appropriate tools and configuration set up for your use case.
  • I'd like to see (maybe) a lightweight distribution of Eclipse that comes with specific tools for specific purposes (SAP specifically).
Eclipse has a better ABAP editor than the built-in editor with SAP. Code completion, error checking, syntax checking, its all handled better in Eclipse. It is also one of the only ways to develop CDS views which drive an awful lot of SAP HANA functionality such as machine learning, and some of their newest programming models.
Eclipse has been around for quite some time and is more than just an SAP development tool. In fact, it is probably used more by JAVA and other developers than SAP developers. There are updates and new versions coming out all the time, and support for the product is very strong.