Google Hangouts (Classic) Reviews

October 21, 2019

Great Free Video Conference Tool

Google Hangouts can be utilized to have others join by video. It oversees other programs by being able to have a lot of multiple users on the same hangout. Other programs only allow a few. It is great that Google Hangouts is free and useful in that manner. It is easy to use for Google users.
  • Easy to use with a Google Account.
  • Multiple users can join via email.
  • Sending out invitations to email and having the user reminded of the upcoming hangout.
  • Sometimes a little too basic for sharing screens.
Google Hangouts is great as an open option for users when communicating. However, in business, I would like a more secure option such as Zoom or GoToMeeting. Google Hangouts is great for spur of the moment video conferencing or perhaps a free alternative for small businesses when they need to video conference.
September 23, 2019

My review on Google Hangouts

This service by Google is used by the whole organization when other software fails to establish communication. We use it for text messages and video conferences. It keeps everyone connected on the go whether they are on office premises or traveling somewhere. Can be used either on desktop or on cellular phones.
  • Video conferencing
  • Audio conferencing
  • Text messaging
  • There is nothing that needs to be improved.
  • I am pretty much happy with all the services.
Very well suites for inter and intra organization conferences. You can use it for audio or video conferencing or both of them simultaneously. Works on all kinds of platforms and all kinds of operating systems. You can use it on desktops or cellular phones whichever is suitable. You can also share documents, images, videos, etc.
September 22, 2019

Works like a charm

Hangouts is a great tool that is used across the whole organization, internally and externally. It solves most of our communication needs as we can use it for IM as well as calls and video calls with clients and remote offices. The product is free and it integrates perfectly with the rest of Google's suite which makes it extremely convenient.
  • Audio and video quality very good, best in the market
  • It's free
  • Works on any device, seamlessly
  • You can't edit sent messages.
  • Could be better integrated with a project management tool.
  • It would be great if the product allowed you to somehow get a stored record of past calls.
Hangouts is an excellent product. Not only is it free, but it also integrates perfectly with the rest of Google's suite of products. I recommend it for all use cases, big and small firms, and even for your personal life. I really like the fact that it works across all devices because it gives the users a lot of flexibility.
September 21, 2019

Google Hangouts for video conferencing is a good choice

It is used throughout for quick video conferencing. Most employees have Google accounts and it's easy to start up and get people connected. Mostly used for working with people working remotely when an email isn't sufficient.
  • Good quality in meetings
  • Show camera view of all participants and you can easily identify who is speaking.
  • Tracks history of calls which is nice for record-keeping.
  • Screen sharing capabilities help getting your points across.
  • UI to get a call going is a little confusing via the web browser.
  • Not really the popular choice which is why we mostly use Zoom or go-to-meeting.
Well suited for video conferencing when one needs to communicate between employees or clients that are not physically in the same location.
September 21, 2019

Basic instant messaging and video calling for free

I'm using Google Hangouts daily to communicate with employees I hire. I've been using previous old Google "Talk" version as well. Very easy and intuitive. Most of the times or maybe even always, the person I hire has gmail account and can message with me immediately. This is a big deal that I don't need to require installing anything new. Time saving.
Chat archives can be easily searched, images can be sent as well, but the problem is that other files cannot be sent through it. The latter can create issues and can be irritating but you can always use the same e-mail account to send those other files.
Additionally I like that I can immediately share the screen or make a video call. No problems here. Also mobile app is very useful.
  • Uses gmail account which most people have. No need to install anything new (unless you want a mobile app).
  • Video conferencing with multiple people works well and allows screen sharing.
  • Instant messaging is fast and reliable. Sound notifications are not irritating.
  • For me missing file sending is a missing functionality that should be implemented. Only images can be sent.
  • Sending images using the desktop gmail website interface could also be improved, takes too long to add the image.
  • More privacy settings would be useful.
Google Hangouts is a great alternative not only for businesses but also if you don't want to have a Facebook account to use their Messenger for private purposes. Google account is required, so if you dislike the company you will have to look for other solutions. However registering with google gives the ability to use additional apps such as Google Drive and they complement each other.
September 17, 2019

Easy and Convenient!

I use Google Hangouts daily in my organization. We have a lot of communications regarding students that do not need to go out via email—late arrivals, pickup info, etc. Teachers use Google Hangouts to message each other information that may be needed to assist a child. We also use google hangouts as a messaging service to request extra help in the classroom.
  • Inputting locations within the message.
  • Lets a user know if the message was read
  • Inputs multimedia easily
  • Impossible to use in China without a VPN (we do a lot of teaching with Chinese students).
  • Google has announced that it will be disabling the Hangouts platform by a certain date, so it will be unusable.
  • If you are logged into different Gmails, each Gmail has its own page. This can get cumbersome when switching between multiple personal, professional, and work emails.
Google Hangouts is well-suited for fast communication that resembles text in a fast-paced environment. It is well-suited for education and communicating with colleagues across different buildings. I have also used Google Hangouts in a medical field to communicate with staff in the back office vs. the front office to ensure patients pay their copays, fees, get medications, etc. Google Hangouts keeps a record of all conversations which can be helpful for employers. Google Hangouts is not well-suited for anyone doing business with China unless you are using a VPN. Companies that often travel to China should use another service.
June 27, 2019

Google Hangouts - The Leader

Google Hangouts is used across our entire organization. It is our go-to for quick communication and meetings. It has allowed us to better come together for small meetings, company-wide meetings, training, etc. It is a great tool and personally the best I've used compared to similar tools.
  • It allows for quick easy communication.
  • It allows for training and the ability to get details to a large group in a quick amount of time.
  • Always good connection and ability to screen share makes this tool a must have.
  • They need to do a better job about version compatibility. I had an issue where my coworker could not hear me in Hangouts due to him having a more up to date version of Hangouts than myself.
I believe GoogleHhangouts is best for all types of organizations. I've found it effective in meetings of 2, 5, 10, or 100+. The ability to screen share allows for training. The chat feature in hangouts also allows for a more dynamic meeting. I can't see a scenario where I'd rather have a competitor's software.
October 08, 2019

Google Hangouts - Free Group video call available for all

I had used Google Hangout several times in the last 6-7 years. I didn't use them officially in my work organization. I had used it in my friends circle to connect with friends. The best part about this Google Hangouts is multiple people can do video calling. It is one of the first free software to provide this feature.
  • Group video call
  • Call history
  • Status updates
  • It is very easy to use, but for some reason it is not very popular
  • Marketing can be improved
  • Users Privacy can be improved - that could be one reason why many do not use
Google Hangouts is well suited when you have a group you would like to stay connected with. Let it be group messaging or video call, once you install the app in your smartphone, you can connect with the group within seconds. It can be made more simple to use. It is not as easy as iPhone FaceTime feature.
September 26, 2019

Google Hangouts: good value for the price you pay

We implemented Google Hangouts as a result of migrating to Google GSuite which included it as a part of the service. We use it across the whole organization, and it resolved communication issues that we had previously had. Our users were able to establish meetings with other users without leaving the office.
  • Ease of use
  • Excellent video/audio quality
  • The Chrome plugin sometimes does not show updates
  • Google Hangouts and Google Meetings should just be one platform
If you need to communicate with a lot of people, then Hangouts is the right for you. You can communicate with 3rd parties, they just need to have a free Gmail account which a lot of users already have. When used as a professional paid service through GSuite, you can manage to have a backup of every and they have a lot of admin security rules you can set.
September 26, 2019

Good program, but features are duplicated by other apps now

We use it for inter office communication and out of office. Easier for people to reply from the computer or setup a quick screen sharing or web conference.
  • Chatting
  • Copy and paste of documents or images
  • Easy to video conference platform
  • Lack of integration into business services
  • Mobile app doesn't always give same experience
  • Would like to keep as a tab in chrome vs pop out
Google Hangouts is well suited for inter office quick communication, but we have used less since deploying Dialpad. Personal seems like only area this will survive. The phone messaging integration used to be great, but missing that now.
September 21, 2019

Lightweight and easy to use

We use Hangouts for quick and easy calls without the implementation hassle. Audio only and video calls are easy, especially on mobile. Love this little tool!
  • Mobile calls.
  • Audio-only calls.
  • Video calls.
  • Lite operation.
  • The ability to call people without a Google account would be great.
  • Dedicated call room URL.
Google Hangouts is great for light-weight operation, especially fast calls. There's no transcription available, but I bet that's coming. It is easy to join on mobile.
whizkidraj Rajkumar Tiwari | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 16, 2019

The old school way to Hangout anywhere, thanks to Google.

Since most people have a Google i.e Gmail address (email-id), Google Hangouts fits perfectly for our needs. We use it for all kinds of purposes related to quick and efficient communication and also for the business meetings. The video chat and the written chat helps us keep in touch with each other and solve any issues quickly without needing anyone to use any extra software or need to have any expert knowledge of extra software.
  • Syncs with your Gmail address.
  • Has an app to use on mobile and communicate efficiently and faster.
  • Video chat is available too.
  • The chat history is always there so we can look up old chats and refer.
  • Useful for everyone with Gmail account.
  • Backup, import chat history.
  • Must have a WhatsApp web type of dedicated website service.
  • Must keep improving and adding some advanced features like file transfer.
  • Must have some form of password lock of 2FA.
Google Hangouts is suited not only for business needs but for anyone with a Gmail account it is good. It has an Android app, too, so you can always check and keep chatting anywhere with an active internet connection.
It has video chat too but still needs improvement as I mentioned related to chat history import or backup and some more solid security features should be added.
Read whizkidraj Rajkumar Tiwari's full review
Sajith Prasad Samarathunge | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 22, 2018

Google Hangouts makes communication much easier.

Our organization has decided to do G-suite migration in order to increase the overall performance of all the divisions in the organization. One of the widely used application after G-suite migration was Google Hangouts. We have done a user awareness and training session before they actually started working with this application and I was one of the speakers of this session. When employees started using Google Hangouts we realized that it leads us to achieve so many goals both organizational and departmental-wide. One of the biggest issue we had was allocating IT trainees when an employee faces technical issues. With in-built screen sharing feature in Google Hangouts finally, we were able to solve all those technical issues without going to the user. Also, we have seen that some divisions changed the way of having their regular meetings. They have switched to video call conference facility in Google Hangouts to do their meetings. This saved a lot of time and these departments were able to deliver their work on time.
  • Voice calls - You can call any google account user with Google Hangouts and the quality of these voice calls are just outstanding. You clearly do not need a phone when you have Google Hangouts.
  • Screen sharing - This comes useful when you are working with your work buddy on the same project. You can see what the other person is doing in his device with screen sharing feature.
  • Messaging - You can have one-to-one or one-to-many (group) conversations within Google Hangouts.
  • Google Hangouts requires you to have a strong Internet connection in order to run all these features perfectly.
Google Hangouts is well suited in a scenario like when you want to communicate with your co-workers (audio call/ video call/ video conference call) and send them a bunch of different files like video clips, pdf documents, and text documents so they can download those files and make use of them.
Read Sajith Prasad Samarathunge's full review
Aaron J. McReynolds | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 19, 2018

Google Hangouts -The staple tool for communication

Google Hangouts is used for our internal sales chat functionality. Colleagues can talk and interact without formal emails or phone calls when a prompt response is needed. It can also be used on mobile, so it allows you to still be connected, even when you're operating outside of the office walls.
  • Internal chat
  • external chat
  • It really is a great tool. Sometimes I wish that the history was automatically collected though.
  • Make it better Apple integrated.
Our internal sales team uses Google Hangouts to talk with each other. All employees have access to the tool and it allows us to interact with other functions in our organization when quick collaboration is needed.

Some employees prefer to use other tools, but for the majority, Google Hangouts is the preferred method of informal communication.
Read Aaron J. McReynolds's full review
Jason Ramsland | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 14, 2018

Hangouts - a standout for communication not tied to the Apple ecosystem

It is a good tool to supplement our ordinary video messaging options like FaceTime or Skype, particularly for those who prefer not to use Skype due to the low quality of its user interface / user experience. It is also very helpful within Hangouts for us to be able to have someone call in from a separate telephone number and still be able to participate on the phone without having to have the software installed an in use. Makes conferencing easier.
  • Good at reaching individuals outside its ecosystem
  • Good audio and video quality
  • Nice to have a text solution mingled in with it
  • I'd like to have better searchability through it
  • It would be nice to be able to customize some visual aspects of it for participants
  • It would be nice if I could customize the origin telephone number when making an outbound call with it
I'm very happy with it for conference calling. I'm not particularly crazy about it as it relates to the text chatting and I think it lacks robust searching features. As for its ability to share and integrate multimedia facets in just the chat, I think it's only okay.

The places where I think it stands out is with users of the Google ecosystem and Android phones.
Read Jason Ramsland's full review
Matt Graf | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 12, 2018

Google Hangouts is a great way to communicate with your team!

We've used Google Hangouts among our team members for quick chat features and for video conferencing. The chat is very helpful to cut down on the amount of times we have to lean on using text or email to quickly communicate. Video chat is great for when we need to have a more in-depth conversation but both people are not in the same location.
  • Google Hangouts is very easy to use. Very user friendly.
  • It syncs with our existing Google-based email system, so our contacts are in hand right from the beginning.
  • The app and the desktop version are both easy to use and work effectively and efficiently.
  • Nothing that I've used with Google Hangouts has been too difficult. It has been great to work with.
It is great if you need to communicate something quickly with a team member, but text isn't the most ideal form of communication. It has a great app and is faster for communication than email. Great video capabilities for having a video meeting with people who are offsite or otherwise located apart from your office.
Read Matt Graf's full review
María Lucía Santagata | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 10, 2018

Hangouts: nice app for meetings with clients working abroad.

We use Google Hangouts mostly for internal communication but also for calls, specially with clients based in other countries. For internal communication it is being used across the whole company, as calls with clients are mostly made in my department. Google Hangouts is useful to communicate with clients that don't use Skype or find trouble using it in mobile phones as the Hangouts app works better for Android, for example.
  • Works very good in smartphones, especially in Android phones.
  • It is a fast app.
  • You can use Hangouts both in the desktop version but also in the one integrated in gmail, so I find it's a discreet way of communicate with colleagues.
  • It's free!!
  • Works very well for video calls for groups, as calendar events generate a link for joining a chatroom, that's very easy to share.
  • Its mobile app needs a way to deactivate vibration / sound notifications but still let the icon visible on top of the screen.
  • Sometimes desktop notifications don't show or appear late.
  • The fact that it shows when someone activates or deactivates the chat history doesn't work for me, as it's not discreet.
I think the scenario where Google Hangouts works best is when teams work remote or the clients of the company are based in foreign countries. Maybe it's not suitable for small companies, where the employees will speak face to face most of the time.
Read María Lucía Santagata's full review
Jason Sherman | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 06, 2018

Video conferencing and screen sharing for large teams all in one!

I use Google Hangouts to communicate with a wide variety of clients in order to have conversations about projects we are working on. I tend to often engage in video chat as well as screen sharing so that I can show them what the work entails instead of just explaining it on a phone call.
  • Video Chat
  • Screen Sharing
  • Adding someone from Gmail
  • You have to install a Chrome extension first
  • Not everyone gets audio if they are using a Mac
  • The interface could use improvement, not all the buttons are clear
Google Hangouts works great when I have to host a team meeting with multiple people in order to share my scree and go over documents, websites, and information so that I can explain it visually and not just with voice. I also like that my team can join by clicking on a link.
Read Jason Sherman's full review
Dawn McGuire | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 07, 2018

Easy peasy to use

We use this software across the enterprise. It helps bridge communication needs for many people who do not work closely together or work even globally.
  • Ease of use. It's really intuitive and easy to use.
  • Brings people who work together closer.
  • Allows for colaboration on work and sharing of ideas.
  • Would like it to have an easier way to see how to add someone by phone if needed. I always forget how to do that.
Suited for medium sized project meetings, staff meetings, especially for people who are on the same staff but don't live in the same city or work remotely from home.

Not suited for large group meetings. Can get cumbersome.
Read Dawn McGuire's full review
December 13, 2018

Hangouts! Review

Since three years ago when my company decided to change the online-based chatting service from Skype to Google Hangouts, it's been the best chatting service we use within our company. Google Hangouts is being used by various departments within my company from chatting with my internal employees, meetings, and clients calls. I personally use it to get in touch with my department, by just selecting the person I want to chat with and instantly I am connected with the person. The calls are crystal clear, and there is no lag in connection with Google Hangouts. The main business problem that I get solved with Google Hangouts is the ability to solve any issues that come up with our application, I can quickly call any developer and instantly do a screen share to show the problems that need to be addressed with our application. Google Hangouts makes it easy to use and communicate since we have G-suite and our company email exchange is Gmail, so it all syncs very well. I would recommend Google Hangouts to anyone who is looking into web-based communication software.
  • It's FREE: Google Hangouts is free to use and comes with your Gmail account through G-Suite.
  • Quick, fast, and reliable: Google Hangouts is very fast when connecting to a call, there has never been a call dropped with Google Hangouts. Installation is a breeze, there are no requirements needed to use Google Hangouts. But I will say you may need to install a plugin to use Google Hangouts - if you are not using Chrome browser, other browsers will require you to install a plugin that is needed to utilize Google Hangouts.
  • Contacts: Google Hangouts uses your existing contacts stored in your Google account, so it is easy to quick-chat or call the person if the other person has a Google account.
  • Instant Messaging and HD Video calls: quick message and call is great with Google Hangouts.
  • Group conference calls or meetings: Google Hangouts makes it easy to invite a group of people in the call and start the meeting, messaging, and screen sharing.
  • Updates: Google Hangouts has not been updated in ages and the UI for Google Hangouts is horrible. It's 2019 almost and they would think to make it a priority to update. Sometimes it's confusing to see who's online and offline.
Google Hangouts is always great to use, whether for work or personal use. For work, a few scenarios would come to mind, such as: creating an group meeting with Google Hangouts - I can start a call and interact with my teammates within my department; secondly, a company-wide group meeting - we use Google Hangouts to engage in the weekly or monthly calls for getting things done; finally, using Google Hangouts I can also instant message to share questions and answers. For personal use: I can call my friends or instant message to keep up-to-date with information and other things. The only scenario where Google Hangouts will not be reliable to use is when calling internationally since charges can be billed to you via your cellphone company and calls can drop, but instant messaging is the best way to communicate, it's free and messages will go through if the other party has good internet connection.
December 07, 2018

Google Hangouts - A perfect product for normal meetings

Google Hangouts is being used to manage remote employees across our organization by many departments. It is being used for small to medium sized meetings. This helps us stay in contact with, and be easy accessible to, the people we work with on various projects. This addresses our need for easy access to people since we work in different geographic locations.
  • Easy of Use. Setting up a meeting or attending a meeting someone else create is very simple.
  • Integration with other Google products. It very simple to create a hangout from a calendar event or straight from email.
  • Web Interface. No need to install desktop software, Hangouts works directly in the browser and is available on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
  • Screen sharing should be able to go full screen. The smaller in-browser view sometimes makes it difficult to view another person's screen.
  • Remote access to another person's desktop would be a huge feature that would make Google Hangouts a lot more useful.
Google Hangouts is well suited for anyone who has a gmail account or google apps for business account. It's so simple I even use it to make regular phone calls.
Gabriel Samaroo | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 29, 2018

Google Hangouts - Free, easy-to-use tool for messaging, video / audio conferences, and screensharing

We use Google Hangouts as a way to conference in Remote employees (or employees Working From Home on a particular day), both with Audio and Video. We also use the screen share features for presenting screens to those dialed in. We use it in the Software Engineering team, but I'm pretty sure other organizations in the company use it as well.
  • Video - clear picture with good quality, as long as you have a decent internet connection
  • Multiple Users - I've been a part of Google Hangout with over a dozen people from different locations on call
  • Easy to setup and use. It's extremely quick to create a Google Hangout and add it to any calendar invite
  • Sometimes, the way Hangouts switches which person to show as the primary, gets messed up if little sounds are made of peoples computers (even if they aren't talking)
  • Video quality might not be the best if internet connection isn't great.
  • The screenshare can be a bit buggy sometimes. Meaning the screen might lag or freeze for a little.
It works well when you have multiple people dialing in from different locations. Whether you need Chat Messaging, Audio, Video, and/or screenshare features, Google Hangouts can be very suitable. There are also some fun add-ons like filters, which can be entertaining when using for personal use in a less professional setting.
Read Gabriel Samaroo's full review
Douglas Wick | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 27, 2018

Convenience of Google Hangouts

Google Hangouts provides a quick way to reach my customers and friends. Google Hangouts is platform my customers use. It's easy to reach them, share pictures and documents and meet with them in real time. If I need a quick answer to a question, or they need to reach me for the same reason, its convenience makes it a necessary business communication tool for me.
  • Schedule appointments quickly
  • Answer questions in real time
  • Video chat when it's necessary to see each other
  • Share documents and pictures
  • The video feature hasn't always worked or has been slow
  • It's difficult sometimes to find the sharing tools (pics, files) when you are typing.
  • I can't remember my gmail it would be nice if my gmail was listed on my Google Hangouts account
It's easy to use and easy to connect with people since frequently I receive their Gmail.
Read Douglas Wick's full review
Jennifer Lamas | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 24, 2018

Working at a distance with video calls.

Hangouts is being used in several departments of the company and the offices located in the other states of the country, helps us to keep in touch at the time we want, since we can make video calls or just comment through a chat.
  • I can make video calls of up to 10 people at the same time.
  • You can connect both from the computer and from your cell phone.
  • It has a series of emoticons and GIF animations to share with your friends.
  • It is possible to send voice messages, videos and audios.
  • you can save conversations in the cloud.
  • It is not possible to place your profile as Invisible, compared to Google Talk.
  • It is only for Android devices and also with iOS. For example, WhatsApp is in many operating systems.
  • It is not possible to know if the message was received by the recipient, or if it even came from our cell phone, in comparison with the other more well-known services.
This tool of communication of Google, is beneficial for those small companies since it does not have a high cost and to be a good start of communication is excellent, it is not necessary to have a telephone number to communicate, you can share our location in real time, The bad thing about this application is that it does not allow you to send voice messages like other similar applications.
Read Jennifer Lamas's full review
Yamileth Cabrera Rendon | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 01, 2018

If you usually do group classes with many attendees, the best option is Google Hangouts.

There are tools that can be installed in the computer version that allow you to extend the functionalities, for example, labeling the name of each of the participants in the conversation or having control over the audio and the camera of each one of them. These features are very useful if you do group classes with a lot of students.
It also allows live broadcasts through, for example, YouTube, which gives you the possibility to organize seminars or live classes with thousands of simultaneous viewings and without the need for all participants to join the conference.
It is a completely free system.
It allowed us to obtain more participants in the conferences for free, allowing us to massify the content of the training courses.
  • It is a completely free system.
  • When you share the screen, the student only sees your screen and stops seeing you, so the communication between both is more complicated and colder.
Read Yamileth Cabrera Rendon's full review

Hosted PBX (15)
Multi-level Interactive Voice Response (IVR) (22)
User templates (17)
Call reports (29)
Directory of employee names (37)
Answering rules (28)
Call recording (28)
Call park (15)
Call screening (33)
Message alerts (43)
Video conferencing (58)
Audio conferencing (58)
Video screen sharing (28)
Instant messaging (31)
Mobile app for iOS (53)
9.2
Mobile app for Android (52)
9.2

About Google Hangouts (Classic)

Google Hangouts is a communication platform that includes messaging, voice, VoIP, and video call capabilities. This platform is part of Google’s G Suite offering and integrates with applications such as Gmail and Google+. Pricing for G Suite plans range from $5-$25 per user per month.

Callers can use Hangouts to:

• Start a chat conversation or video call.
  • Make phone calls using Wi-Fi or data.
  • Send text messages with a Google Voice or Google Fi phone number.

Hangouts sync automatically across devices. Hangouts started on a computer, can continue with chat on another device, like a phone.

• In March 2017, Google announced plans to evolve classic Hangouts to focus on two experiences designed to help bring teams together: Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet. Both Chat and Meet are available for G Suite customers and will be made available for consumer users as well. Google is planning to transition users from classic Hangouts to Chat and Meet after June 2020.
  • Classic Hangouts is not available in China.

Google Hangouts (Classic) Technical Details