RescueAssist Reviews

Pros and Cons

• The first of these is that it is easy to use, and very intuitive. You don't really need to consult any documentation in order to hit the ground running with this. This is a strength because there are other tools out there that are a bit more complex.
  • It generally works well, without too many issues. This is both on the technician side, and on the customer side. For the customer experience, RescueAssist doesn't require a whole lot of customer interaction, other than first connecting with the technician.
  • It also doesn't require a whole lot of system resources to run and doesn't require a lot of hard drive space to install (at least if you are working with the desktop client). The brand new version maybe web/cloud-based, which may eliminate the need for having to install the client.
  • One big improvement needs to be to improve the "Run As A Service" feature that runs on a customer's computer. Sometimes this needs to be used to run elevated privileges on their computer, and most of the time this feature works well. On a few occasions though, it would stop, and give an error message.
  • Another area of improvement would be to have a web/cloud based agent/client, but that may have changed in the latest version of the platform. This would save time by not having to install anything on either the technician's computer or the customer's computer.
Christopher Fritz profile photo

• Unattended installer.
  • Mobile application.
  • User-friendly.
  • Direct link to share.
  • Unattended installer does not always work with Mac computers without allowing the app on the computer.
  • Can, at times, be slow.
  • Expensive to add extra support. So, we can only have one seat simultaneously.
Read Christopher Fritz's full review

Pros and Cons

• It is incredibly easy to use for the people you are supporting. A lot our clients/users are limited in their knowledge of computers so it was critical that the tool we use be easy to download and run and GoToAssist did that wonderfully. We rarely had to spend time getting connected to users.
  • The ability to reboot and automatically reconnect in safe mode was a godsend. A lot of our troubleshooting requires the end users PC to be in safe mode. GoToAssist let us trigger that remote and get connected again (without the user redoing the process) was a godsend.
  • The in built chat was also super nice to have for some of our hearing impaired users. Normally we have to use a go between in those scenarios but since the chat exists, we could just have the go between hang up and talk to the client directly.
  • Mac support was nice to have as well. We don't have a lot of end users on an Apple system but it was nice that GoToAssist just worked smoothly regardless of the OS or platform.
  • File transfer was great! We sent over the required files and it uploaded in a jiffy.
  • We didn't use it with mobile devices too often but whenever we did it felt a little wonky. It wasn't bad but just not as good or smooth as the experience of using it on PCs.
  • Some minor issues with admin privileges when launching the app. Again, nothing that came up too often but it was there occasionally.
David Reese profile photo

Pros and Cons

• It does not require users to share a network
  • Gives access and control to either user with GoToAssist
  • Can share one screen, one program, or the whole desktop
  • Small install, 7-8 megabytes
  • Download of the client support is done via the browser, can be problematic with Firefox/Safari/Opera
  • Because the download is done in a user's profile, if a technician needs to log into another profile [say an admin profile], the session will be suspended
  • If your user cannot get to their email, trying to give them the URL one letter at a time is quite painful
  • Login password changes and unlocks are done by the GoToAssist company directly, instead of in-house support, giving longer lag time between locked and use.
Read David Reese's full review

• Standard permission Users can't initiate a connection
  • High Cost
Kurt Ferguson profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Easy to use. GoToAssist doesn't require much training to use, and the user interface is quite intuitive.
  • Powerful. GoToAssist is useful for software installation, troubleshooting issues, and collecting information or log files.
  • Versatile. Whether we are assisting Windows or Mac users, GoToAssist is a very powerful support tool. It is effective whether you are working with an experienced user or a relative novice.
  • Cost. For smaller businesses, the cost of GoToAssist might be too high.
  • Mobile Support. The support options for mobile devices are a lot more limited than some other solutions in this category.
  • Date interface - The interface, while fairly intuitive, is a bit dated. It is good at what it needs to do, but could certainly use a facelift.
Read Kurt Ferguson's full review
Randy Munroe profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Easy to set up. It took less than an hour to have it up and running with an internal URL that our users could connect to.
  • Makes remote support a breeze by being able to use remote technicians credentials for elevated commands. This is something our previous solutions were missing.
  • It's very transparent for the end user and makes it easy for them to end a session or see active sessions when running.
  • Session management - Closing the application or just opening the application opens a session. If you work with limited session licenses, this can be problematic for the next technician that needs to use it. It's also not obvious that there are open sessions to techs, and they must rely on the admin to kick users out.
  • It could be cheaper. Even though it wasn't the most expensive product we evaluated, it wasn't the cheapest either.
Read Randy Munroe's full review
YagneshKumar Patel profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Session Recording: Recently Windows update prevented our reports from being displayed since it blocks VBS scripting. My Team and I we remotely logged in to one of our client's PC who was having issue accessing the reports, we resolved the issue by changing a few settings in IE, and we recorded the session so just in case if other clients are experiencing the same issue we can send them the video directly. The recording session is very clear and I can explain as I am clicking though folders of what the process will do.
  • Fast and Secure: When a support ticket comes in, I would contact the client asking him or her to go to GoToAssist.com. Once there I can provide them with access token, I then can view the client's PC right away very fast and smooth process. Secondly, the secure channel is great to communicate with the client one on one gathering issues and resolving them right away. I have never had issue with GoToAssist software.
  • Multiple Users can access the session: When on a training call, GoToAssist can allow a max numbers of users that one session which is 8, which is great I can have as many clients in one session which is easier to go through the training modules of our BI Software.
  • The support Token or Key: Which provided expires after a certain length of time. Moreover, at times, I provide the Client with the support key via email and keep the window open, if the customers join later than usual, the support key fails and a new key has to be generated.
  • Connection Time Out: There have been cases when the connection resets while being on a call with the customer. I hope GoToAssist can resolve the issue, not a huge deal but they can make some improvements in that area.
Read YagneshKumar Patel's full review
Rob Rotundo profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Allows for pretty much full control over the user's PC.
  • Allows to reboot and reconnect automatically.
  • Allows booting into safe mode.
  • Sometimes, it was cumbersome when trying to get a non-skilled user to connect. There were too many clicks.
  • Sometimes UAC gets in the way and it's hard to get full control.
  • Sometimes the reboot and reconnect option didn't work.
Read Rob Rotundo's full review
Pritesh Patel profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Easy to use both for us and client.
  • File Transfer feature is very nice.
  • Can have multiple sessions open at the same time.
  • Diagnostics allows us to see all stats for the clients machine.
  • Sometimes clients have a hard time installing GoToAssist.
  • Need a better UI.
  • Unattended support is not intuitive.
  • GTA freezes sometimes when client does not have admin role and we lose keyboard and mouse control.
  • Wish it also had a call feature that can allow multiple people to call in to watch the session (mix GoToMeeting into it).
Read Pritesh Patel's full review
David Whittaker profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Restarting workstations in safe mode.
  • Remotely accessing workstations to help users.
  • Collaborating with others on workstation problems.
  • Hasn't been updating the workstation status without a manual check.
  • Our GoToAssist service is based on internet access and therefore there isn't any alternate way to use GoToAssist if internet connections drop.
  • Doesn't handle multiple monitors that span different resolutions. May distort remote session.
Read David Whittaker's full review
Julian Volpe profile photo
April 05, 2017

GoToAssist Rocks

Pros and Cons

• Provide instant access with the unattended support.
  • Gives you the ability to record a support session.
  • For all the features you get, you cannot beat the price per month.
  • The built-in chat window is a little clunky.
  • The unattended support Window keeps popping up after you finish a support session.
Read Julian Volpe's full review
Will Kosnik profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Allows to have unattended access when someone is not able to be on the other end of their computer if I need to connect.
  • It allows you to save passwords for computers if you need access later.
  • It allows you to send signals to computers that may be in sleep mode and allows you to wake them up to gain access.
  • Has an app for smart phones and tablets that allows me to have full access to remote control, just as if I was at my actual workstation.
  • Not sure if it is just our plan, or if it is a part of just how GoToAssist works, but I cannot have more than 100 unattended computers set up on my account at any given time. This also creates issues where I am unable to get admin access to the computer if I run out of users.
  • I have had few issues where I try to send a connection link to a end user for me to remote in, and it just doesn't load. GoToAssist has said there have been Windows patches that cause these issues. They always fix them rather quickly.
Read Will Kosnik's full review
Lin James, CPB, SCC profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Quick access to customer computers via email links or giving them the access code over the phone.
  • Notes area where I can record the details of the remote session.
  • Reporting - I can retrieve a monthly report of all my remote sessions (including notes) which helps me monitor usage, provides billing information and allows me to save a copy of the report locally.
  • Perhaps some pop up notices on screen when waiting for a reboot to finish and reconnect.
  • I would like to know how to handle screen sharing when I want to share my screen, I haven't taken the time to explore for instructions.
  • I would like to know how to use the drawing tools, I haven't taken the time to explore for instructions.
Read Lin James, CPB, SCC's full review
Jarrell L. Chatman profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Being able to remotely restart a users PC and be reconnected without seamlessly is something that is particularly important at times.
  • Being able to pass off a users session to another technician is great in the sense of escalating a user problem to the correct person.
  • Very simple to use for both the technician and the user.
  • The administration web interface can be a bit cumbersome.
  • Would be nice if I had the option where I did not need to tie an account to a email address. It may work fine for companies of a tremendous size for ticketing purposes, but for my firm we just would like to use it and share 3 seats. It is not cost effective for my entire team to use a license as we will never all use it at the same time, but we could all benefit from using the product.
  • We could benefit from a scaled down version that only encompasses the remote support portion. We don't use other pieces of it like the mobile profiles portion, so if we could scale it back and get it at a cheaper cost that would be beneficial.
Read Jarrell L. Chatman's full review
Karrie Reno profile photo

Pros and Cons

• It's very simple to connect remotely to a user, you can send them a link through email. It's easy to get them connected, as opposed do say logmein.
  • I love their reports because when it comes to billing, the time you spent on a user/customer's computer is accurate. If there is any question about time spent, details are right there.
  • Service Desk is an all-in-one for knowledge Base, incoming requests, sharing of information, thorough communication between customer and IT Support. Ticket tracking accuracy.
  • I can tell when someone is online and when they aren't. So if they are having issues I can also set their computer to turn on.
  • You can make notes so that when you work on someone's computer, you can remind yourself everything you did, and it is included in that day's reports.
  • Most of all I can send files necessary to possibly remove a virus, or malware through "file transfer". I can send to myself error messages, or logs, or send them a tool, documentation.
  • The recording downloads don't always work, if it's under 7 minutes or over an hour, you can't download the recording of the session.
  • I'd like more customized reports.
  • Nothing else wrong with GoToAssist!!!
Read Karrie Reno's full review

Pros and Cons

• Multiple monitor view - sees all monitors, where WebEx Support Center limits you to three.
  • Ability to stretch screen to view all monitors at once - instead of switching between screens, you can view all of the monitors at the same time, avoiding time spent looking for a pop up window.
  • The interface is less "modern" looking than other solutions.
November 28, 2012

Not really intuitive.

Pros and Cons

• It allows quick connection and great meeting management.
  • Presenter controls and screen sharing is always positive.
  • Video quality is usually outstanding, and much better than other video call systems.
  • Connection issues seem to plague the novice users.
  • Bringing in clients to join calls usually confuses them, and we resort to having 10 minutes of instructions assigned to them.

Screen sharing (15)
File transfer (14)
Instant message (14)
Secure remote access with Smart Card authentication (5)
Access to sleeping/powered-off computers (10)
6.4
Over-the-Internet remote session (15)
9.2
Initiate remote control from mobile (8)
Remote management of servers & workstations (13)
Remote Active Directory® management (7)
Centralized management dashboard (10)
Session record (12)
Annotations (11)
Monitoring and Alerts (7)
5.6
Multi-platform remote control (9)

About RescueAssist

GoToAssist is now RescueAssist. RescueAssist offers remote support and ITIL-based service desk management to enhance IT operations and reduce cost. The vendor says that key new features include lightning-fast connection time, right fit support including chat, remote view, and file transfer, in-channel support (integrations with apps like Slack), and mobile device support + camera share.