Grantmaker Reviews

Brian Burgin | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 25, 2020

Grantmaker Review

We are a grant-making organization. We use Grantmaker to manage our grant records and processes. Our entire organization uses it, as do our applicant/grantee partners who apply for and receive grants. It is the system we use that enables the grant approval process as well as processes for payments, grant reports, and other grant-related records.
  • It's easy to find grant records and related information.
  • Excellent tool for managing and displaying processes.
  • Technical support is weak. Bugs that are submitted are often not fixed and not even followed-up on.
  • The technical documentation is extremely sparse.
Grantmaker is well suited for managing grant-making processes and records. It's not a very good tool for CRM. We are currently working with an outside vendor to design a module that will integrate with Grantmaker to help with CRM.
Read Brian Burgin's full review
Mark Walker | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 09, 2018

Grantmaking meets Knowledge Management

Grantmaker is the primary business software solution for the Jessie Ball duPont Fund. It is used organization-wide by all employees, though usage differs by job function. This also functions as the main communication conduit for our grantees throughout the grantmaking process using the web portal and a variety of generated and automated communication (emails, e-letters, mailed letters, etc.).

The business problems it solves for the fund include: repository of all grant records, communication and working tool for our grantees, task and project management for staff, CRM for our contacts, knowledge management, paperless process and more.
  • Highly configurable for different use cases and easy to customize.
  • Instant insight into different job functions can be provided through the unique, customized filtered cards and dashboards for each user.
  • Frequent updates of new features that add more value to the product over time and create more efficiencies for staff and grantees.
  • Collaborative user base that is eager and willing to share best practices with lots of support from the vendor.
  • Friendly staff that is genuinely interested in the funding and nonprofit sectors and how they can make it easier for us to have the community impact we are all trying to achieve.
  • Support can be slow to respond to some submitted issues and Tier 1 support staff could be better at getting concrete answers about bugs or issues in the software.
  • With monthly releases, most of which have new features, the Q&A is sometimes not as good as it should be. Seems to be too much reliance on clients finding the issues and reporting them instead of Fluxx staff working to find those issues before release.
  • Some functions require Windows to configure, like the plugins to build documents and excel reports.
  • Coding knowledge is required for some advanced configuration.
I will give the same advice I give everyone. For us the software is a 10 and a perfect fit, but every organization and culture is different. So, anyone looking for software solutions should be surveying their peers and doing demos for at least 3-5 different solutions. The Idealware "Consumers Guide to Grantmaking Systems" is a great place to start if you have not looked at it yet. Here is a link: https://www.idealware.org/reports/consumers-guide-grants-management-systems/

Be sure to also use your networks like the Technology Affinity Group for Foundations and Peak Grantmaking as well, they have loads of members and resources interested in helping you find the best tool for your organization.
Read Mark Walker's full review
Julie Starr, BA, MPS | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 30, 2018

How to Write Grants More Efficiently and Never Miss a Deadline- Grantmaker

I am a freelance grant writer for a non-profit organization. Since I work remotely, I desperately needed a platform to network with my team and to have all necessary info in one central platform. It is currently being used by me and I plan to onboard other members of the team shortly.

It helps me to track grant deadlines, grant awards and keeps me on track with our grant goals.
  • Grantmaker uses timelines and visuals effectively for tracking critical events in the grant life cycle.
  • I am able to assign important tasks to myself and my team and track progress.
  • I love the motivating visuals that clearly indicate whether grant goals are being met.
  • I would love to see either email or text notifications added to the platforms to remind of upcoming deadlines and tasks.
  • Sometimes the data that is pulled into the visuals is not accurate and is a bit glitchy.
  • Adding a real time commenting capability, like Slack, would help the team to stay in contact. This is especially important for remote grantwriters, like me.
Before I started using Grantmaker, I was tracking grant details and deadlines on a spreadsheet. It was a mess. Now, I never miss a deadline and grants take less time to organize and submit because all of the info is in one place.
Read Julie Starr, BA, MPS's full review
December 10, 2018

Grantmaker Greatness!

We use Grantmaker to navigate local grants and garner funding for our non-profit's education programs. We do year-round music and arts education for youth and managing grants via Grantmaker makes it easy to quickly and effortlessly manage, double check, and submit the grants that are necessary for our non-profit to work towards our vision and mission.
  • Uploading completed elements of the grant
  • Easily and effortlessly edit before submission
  • Quickly submit and complete grant
  • Autofill of past information
  • Recommendations of other grants
  • Better word count amounts
We use Grantmaker specifically for Metro Arts Commission's grants here in Nashville, Davidson County, TN. It's absolutely appropriate for managing and submitting grants and is actually much easier to use than the past submission software that we used for the grant. There are a lot of things to submit and manage so Grantmaker is well suited for this task.

About Grantmaker

Fluxx in San Francisco offers Grantmaker, this being their grant management platform for funders, providing clear data exploration tools and customizable dashboard, dynamic workflow with audit trail, and many collaboration and sharing tools.

Grantmaker Technical Details