Skip to main content
Gusto

Gusto

What is Gusto?

Gusto offers payroll, benefits and compliance capabilities. Gusto is scaled for small to mid-sized businesses, and emphasizes an easy to use interface.

Gusto is awesome!

Hot Dang!!!

Incentivized
I use Gusto to pay my employees and receive pay with stubs. I really like the program and it is very easy to navigate and update things …

Gusto Review.

Incentivized
We use this for payroll tracking and payment. It allows us to clock in and out and see our accrued time for the week. It is easy to apply …

Easy to use

July 16, 2024
Incentivized
Gusto is great for tracking employee hours and quickly editing time for employees who forgot to clock in. It’s also great for seeing …

Gusto is great for us

July 15, 2024

Gusto Review

Incentivized
We use it for payroll purposes. This includes clocking in and out, reimbursements, PTO and time off requests, approval of staff members. …

TrustRadius Insights

Slow Functionality and Room for Improvement: Some users have noted experiencing sluggish performance specifically when managing a large …

• Direct deposit files (276)
  • Pay calculation (270)
  • Salary revision and increment management (218)
  • Benefit plan administration (193)

Simple: A streamlined set of automatic payroll features and benefits integrations

$40/month + $6/mo per person

$12 per employee/contractor

Plus: Comprehensive payroll, benefits, and HR tools for employers building a great place to work

$80/month + $12/mo per person

Premium: Scalable payroll and benefits, expert HR, and dedicated support for the complex needs of growing teams

Exclusive pricing, contact Gusto

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://gusto.com/product/pricing?utm_s…

• Premium Consulting/Integration Services

Starting price (does not include set up fee)

• $46 per month

Product Demos

Gusto Payroll Demo

YouTube

Gusto Demo: Refreshingly intuitive payroll, benefits, and HR for small business

YouTube

Features

Payroll Management

Provides for pay calculation and benefit plan administration, in addition to managing direct deposit, salary revisions and payroll tracking.

Avg 8.2

What is Gusto?

Gusto is an online people platform that aims to help small businesses take care of their teams. According to the vendor, their products and services help customers onboard, pay, insure, and engage their team in one integrated, easy-to-use platform used by over 300,000 modern employers. Gusto aims to make taking care of teams a joyful experience, while helping users manage their bottom line and stay compliant. Gusto promises that users will feel like a pro no matter how complicated the situation.

Full-service payroll - According to the vendor, Gusto makes running payroll easy. Gusto automatically calculates and files payroll taxes, help keeps companies compliant, and provides awesome support.

Benefits that work for any team and budget - Gusto aims to make offering employee benefits a reality for any small business. Whether an organization is buying health insurance for the first time or wants to integrate an existing plan with payroll, Gust can provide expert guidance. They'll help with add-ons like 401(k), life insurance, and commuter benefits, which the vendor says allows companies to create a competitive package that attracts and retains employees. The vendor promises their modern, intuitive software and team of licensed advisors helps customers navigate benefits with confidence.

Gusto Features

• Supported: Direct deposit files
  • Supported: Payroll tracking and auditing
  • Supported: Salary revision and increment management

Gusto Screenshots

Screenshot of Flexible, automated payrollScreenshot of Time-off trackingScreenshot of The source of truth for HR data

Gusto Video

Gusto is more than payroll and benefits

Gusto Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based
Supported CountriesUnited States
Supported LanguagesEnglish, Spanish

Gusto starts at $46.

Paychex Flex, ADP Streamline Payroll, and QuickBooks Online are common alternatives for Gusto.

Reviewers rate Reimbursement management highest, with a score of 9.5.

The most common users of Gusto are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

Attribute Ratings

Gusto is awesome!

Incentivized
We use Gusto for time keeping, to keep track of PTO, and team member info. It helps to consolidate everything in one place and be able to access info about benefits easily.
  • Keeping track of paydays and paystubs
  • Keeping track and requesting PTO
  • Being able to see info about other members of the company
  • Time keeping could be improved. It is a little bit clunky and if there were more features it might be faster to use
Gusto is really great for keeping track of typical HR info and pay information. I think it could be improved when it comes to timekeeping especially for instances when there are a lot of projects to enter time for.

Incentivized
We use it as our payroll platform. It consolidates all our finances onto one platform. It has useful tools that allow us to understand how we are getting paid, access financial resources should we need them, and manage our money.
  • Accessibility.
  • Communication
  • Up to Date.
  • Better push notifications.
I believe this platform is great for a smaller business. We can thrive with it because it meets our needs. I could foresee a larger business having its bare needs met but not being supported with niche requests. We are also a structured W-2 company, but if that model is not applicable, it might not be as conducive to a productive work environment.

Gusto Review.

Incentivized
It is used for Payroll at the company I work for. It addresses tracking hours as well as maintaining important tax-related documentation. It helps me keep track of my pay stubs, and it helps with staffing because I can see all of the previous contractors used at the company.
  • Tracking hours.
  • Viewing paystub history.
  • Changing payment method.
  • When I switched from a 1099 employee to a W2 employee, one whole paycheck got lost in the switch, and I no longer have access to view my paystub history from when I worked as a 1099 employee.
  • It's annoying that sometimes the ability to adjust my hours gets "locked," and I need an administrator to do so.
  • I can't enter my hours in advance, which sometimes causes an issue on paydays when my employer needs our hours entered by, for example, 4 p.m. However, I plan on working until 5 p.m., so then the next week, I need to add an hour to my timesheet.
I would not recommend it to businesses where they might have 1099 employees and eventually switch to W2 employees. I also cannot speak to how it is with a larger company because the company I work for is small. Also, it's confusing that the app is called Gusto Wallet and not just Gusto. Also, my employer does not have it set up so that we can clock in on the app, so I have to put in my hours afterwards manually.
Incentivized
Everything is in one place! It is convenient to have new hire paperwork, time off requests, benefit information, and more all in one location. The app from the employee side is also really easy to use, and I have had no issues with it regarding checking my paystubs and benefits.
  • Payroll, easy to use and check.
  • New employee paperwork is easy to use and sign.
  • The app is intuitive and convenient.
  • It would be nice if, as an admin, I could switch views from admin tasks to employee views instead of having it all in one place.
  • Have a calendar with all the approved time off.
  • Have a employee scheduling feature that time off can be seamlessly added to.
Gusto works well for the size of our staff and our software needs. I can't really speak to how this particular software would do for different teams of different sizes, whether bigger or smaller, because this is the only time I've used the service and app. It's pretty organized and mostly easy to use, but I sometimes have trouble locating different features from the home page.
Incentivized
We use Gusto for almost everything that pertains to employees: clocking in and out during the work day, scheduling the front and back of house employees, human resources related paperwork, payroll and payment information, direct deposit payments, and more. It's a 1 stop shop for everything an employee could need to access on a daily/weekly/annual basis.
  • Direct deposit
  • Hours tracking
  • Housing HR information
  • Payroll
  • Web browser on phone
There are many other vendors out there I feel that offer similar services but where I feel that Gusto excels is by housing many human resource and payroll related facets all in one site. The dashboard makes it easy for employees to navigate their workplace and pull up information easily.

Gusto is Grrrrreat!

Betsy Faustyn | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
I have been using Gusto for quite some time now. My professional role requires my attention outside of normal business hours and Gusto makes it so seamless to track my chaotic schedule. I have downloaded the APP on to my smart phone, but I also use the web page when I am at my desk/laptop/workstation. BOTH are absolutely GREAT! Dont forget- The user friendly app makes it quite easy to update info, check past pay stubs, and download/view tax information. I have had to search for Tax info as well as past pay stubs and it was super easy & quick! I have recommended Gusto to others to use as an employee and employer. 10/10 awesome!
  • clean web page
  • readable tracking time
  • cute pig!
I have needed past pay stubs for validation of income, they were simple to pull up and print. I have also needed my tax info- same thing, simple to pull up and print.
Katie Marie Meyer, SHRM-CP | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
We are an HR company that uses Gusto ourselves and recommends it to small businesses. We utilize Gusto for Payroll, onboarding, benefits, and more.
  • Payroll- so streamlined
  • User-friendly, Penny the Pig is adorable
  • Onboarding
  • There's multiple ways to get to something
  • Time keeping is a little rough- you don't see the total hours for the day when you go into the details of the week plus there's not an option to have the week reflect our work week (Sun-Sat)
  • Implementation of benefits- needs more communication if something is out of the ordinary. We implemented benefits a little late and didn't realize it wouldn't automatically come out of Payroll. We caught it, but it would have been great to have Gusto's help with that.
Small-medium sized businesses will excel if they use Gusto. It's easy for employees to use and have questions answered. HR teams will save time onboarding and in Payroll.

Gusto is great!

Incentivized
Our company uses Gusto to track hours, request time off, view our paystubs, and manage our benefits. Gusto is easy to use and has a good user interface. The website and mobile app are easy to use and I enjoy being able to manage my work account easily. Gusto is by far the easiest platform I have used and its helped me set goals and keep track of my finances.
  • Providing information.
  • User interface.
  • Makes requesting time off easy.
  • More financial options.
  • Detailed expense reports.
  • More customization.
I believe Gusto works well for what I have to do. It covers all the bases in terms of making it easy to request time off and communicate to Human Resources. I like using Gusto and given the choice, would like to continue using Gusto in the future. I like the user interface and the user experience is a good one.
July 11, 2024

I recommend Gusto

Incentivized
Gusto is the main payroll system used. It makes it easy to clock in/clock out, and, even more importantly, add/adjust times afterwards (for when you dive into work and forget to clock in, or get caught up and forget to clock out). It is also easy to use to quickly see benefits and the required information about them, as well as to register for them when needed, to see how much sick/vacation time there is - Gusto has everything needed in one easy-to-use app.<br><br>Plus there's a cute pig, that dresses for the seasons.
  • Everything in one location
  • Easy to find things
  • fun pig
  • easy to use
  • The only thing I can think of is that the information for the health insurance is some ID number that the health insurance company has never seen before, and no one knows what that number is
Since there is the ability to input your own hours, this works best when there is a high level of honesty. The administrator can adjust the hours, but that's a lot of work unless most people are being truthful with the times they input.

One other thing that could be improved - in the Time Tracking section, if you click outside of the box being filled in for that particular day, it closes the box and erases all the info that you put in there. This is super annoying when trying to scroll up to access all the fields.
July 10, 2024

Gusto Rules

Incentivized
We use Gusto for everything it has to offer. From time tracking and payroll to hiring teams and reimbursements. We even have a clock in station at our office with an iPad that is strictly used for Gusto.
  • Time tracking - including breaks
  • hiring teams - being able to have listings such as job openings or internships that people can apply for right on the website
  • I don't think much needs to be changed other than possibly the hiring section could be cleaner
  • you should have an alarm when you're lunch break or normal break is almost up!
Gusto is great for all things expense tracking. However, I would say Gusto could use some work on the hiring section.
Incentivized
Love using Gusto for payroll. It's a one stop easy peasy shop! The platform is simple and easy to navigate and we can have an admin account plus our individual accounts. If we ever have to stop or cancel payroll, it's easy to do. Or if we have to change payroll, that's also easy. We run payroll currently in three different states and the system figures out all of the taxes and withholdings for each. We are thankful for this system being a part of our workflow to make our business a success.
  • Payroll
  • W9
  • Tax withholding
  • Not making it so difficult to log-in
We've loved using it for payroll and reporting made easy. It is not an overwhelming task as a small business to run or manage payroll with Gusto. And their customer service is always very helpful, efficient, effective and generally succint. For a small business of less than 5 employees, the product is the perfect fit.
Incentivized
We use Gusto as a complete HR SaaS system for payroll, time tracking (hrs), time off (PTO), Benefits, Performance and Expenses.
  • Payroll visibility / notifications
  • Expense Approvals / receipt tracking
  • API Integration with Benefits providers
  • Company hierarchy, Reporting structures
  • Training / Onboarding
  • Site branding
I think Gusto is a scalable solution, to be used by startup-level companies, all the way up to mid-sized, multi-location entities. It may be less appropriate for mutiple-language scenarios and in with payroll who has multiple tax implications.
July 09, 2024

LOVE Gusto

Incentivized
We use Gusto for payroll, time sheets, time off requests, benefit reviews, basically everything it has to offer. I love how Gusto makes it easy to view all my time sheets and you can even do a paycheck splitter for rainy days or saving accounts. The main issue I think most businesses struggle with is getting hours correct on the time sheets, Gusto lets u double check and edit your hours so you can be positive you're getting paid for the hours you worked.
  • Gets me paid on time
  • Logs my hours correctly
  • User friendly
  • Honestly, I love Gusto the way it is, although I do wish you can set a custom date for a specific range to see how many hours you worked. Usually it just shows by pay period.
I work at a non-profit and it is very well suited for our organization, honestly I can't think of any scenario where Gusto wouldn't be helpful. I would recommend it to all business owners. Gusto has so many features and tools that make it so diverse compared to other softwares I have used for previous jobs.
July 09, 2024

Happy Gusto User

Incentivized
My employer uses Gusto to track employee hours, disburse earnings, manage time off requests and sick time, and track benefits, and store documents. The employees use it for budgeting, saving, spending. We have also reported being pleased with the partnerships for tax preparation, and pet insurance. The company's scope of use case is payroll.
  • Time off requests are streamlined and easy to use
  • Providing opportunities for employees to experiment with budgeting and saving
  • Transfering funds to other banking institutions
  • Tracking hours
  • In the app it is possible for employees to edit breaks, but this feature doesn't seem to be available in a browser.
  • An alarm when rest periods and meal breaks are over would be logical!
  • Deleting savings accounts is not an easy function to find, if it exists.
Having experienced many different time tracking systems as an hourly employee, Gusto is the most modern, easy to use and friendly. I have found the app to be intuitive in terms of locating and downloading paystubs and transferring funds to other banking institutions. The graphics are pleasant and uncomplicated. I also appreciate the round up savings feature when using the Gusto debit card.
Stephen Imperiale | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
I use Gusto in my organization for a small business. It is primarily used to record and clock my time in and time out. It is very useful for checking how I spend my money and gives me a curated summary of what I spent my money on, which includes the different categories such as Shopping, Restaurants, Gas, etc.
  • Organized, curated summary of spending habits
  • The ability to clock time in and time out when working remote
  • The seamlessness when tracking Payroll and transferring money from one location to another.
  • The benefits package could be improved
  • The ability to reach out to someone directly from Gusto through email
  • A more in-depth understanding of TrueWork
One area where Gusto is well suited is in the ability to easily track pay and see where improvements can be made in a person's spending habits. This allows for better productivity for a person. Additionally, I enjoy that you can track our time by clocking time in and time out directly on the website. This is great for someone like me who works remotely. However, I wish that the Gusto Wallet app would improve by adding a Track your Time feature where you can clock time in and time out without always going directly to the website to do it. One area in which it may b less appropriate is in the formality of it. Someone who is working for a casually, laid-back company might not need all the extensive features that Gusto provides.
July 08, 2024

Incentivized
Gusto is my company's payroll system. It helps me get direct deposit, and easy access to my paystubs and other important documents.
  • direct deposit
  • payroll
  • prompt paystubs
  • easier way to set payroll dates
Gusto is the easiest payroll system in my opinion. I've also worked with companies like ADP and Hartfield, and Gusto takes the cake.
Incentivized
I am a basic user that mainly only uses the time functions, but Gusto does a good job at making time easily accessible and just as easy to calculate. The access to paystubs is convenient but I wish I was able to see them ahead of payday, but that may be something to do with my company.
  • Time management
  • Benefit explanation
  • the mobile app seems to lag behind the browser and needs to be able to update just as frequently
Gusto seems like a great app for small companies, but unfortunately, I do not see it being able to be used by large corporations. As a basic user, it seems like its systems could be taken advantage of by basic users. but then again I would not know about anything to do with the set up.
Incentivized
Gusto helps the studios I work for send us our paychecks quickly and efficiently. It also gives a good breakdown of the hours worked and net pay so I can declare my taxes correctly since I'm an independent contractor. Other studios use payment services like Venmo that are less detailed so I like how Gusto streamlines the process.
  • Email notifications of direct deposit
  • Ease of page navigation
  • Easy reports
  • Eliminate the ads for the Gusto app
  • Easier to access reports
  • Store all documents in an easy to find place
Gusto is well suited to a small business such as a Pilates studio which pays per hour of service and doesn't have a flat rate typically. I also like how everything I need to know about the Payroll is in one place and I don't have to search the scheduling apps to find it. It would be less appropriate for a big corporation.
Incentivized
Gusto is used to track hours, vacation, sick, and all other human resource needs to properly and efficiently track payroll. Gusto keeps this process organized, simplified, accountable, and with an accurate history to utilize should it be needed for more in depth tax purposes. Accurate up to the minute time tracking gives employees to the opportunity to track their work day down the the second which builds confidence in one's sense that each minute is being compensated. I personally feel reassured knowing additional time is in the system and Leadership is able to see first hand the extra hours spent working on various projects. Excellent for the non-standard 9-5pm work schedule as there is nothing 9-5 about my work or my life. Gives me a sense that management can see my extra dedication to the organization and my diligence and commitment to ensuring our work is completed no matter the time of day. It helps personalize my work efforts which for someone with a high work ethic and desire to succeed is monumental.
  • Track work hours to the second
  • Track time off and keeps stored so we can reflect on on exactly how much time is used when
  • Simplicity of presentation to a non-computer minded individual
  • Easy to access one's history and one's tax documents
  • Gusto does not always clock me in and out - perhaps it's an internet connection issue instead of a Gusto issue.
Perfect for employees who work the non-standard 9-5pm job to accurately track and be able to show the mass amount of hours putting toward the job. Also user friendly for those basic workers who just want to clock in and clock out in a very simple and non intimidating system. Allows for easy communication between employee and manager with direct contact and reference to the schedule being addressed. Affords employees a sense of accomplishment when able to view and review their work hours - and immediately getting to view online the hours accrued for time off is exceptional. Easier to access and to manager schedules with all that information at the fingertips. A reflection of how hard one is working and the benefits that may be reaped from doing so.Gives the employee a sense of humanity as opposed to be just a number in the employee chain.
July 05, 2024

Gusto Works!

Incentivized
We use it for payroll and tracking information for all employees. We are a team that works remotely including international employees. It is helpful as a virtual Payroll and tax reporting system that is easy for all employees to get the information they need. It is very cost effective for our team.
  • Keeps employees notified of their pay status
  • Easy for employees to get information from past payroll if needed
  • Has made tax reporting more efficient
  • Wallet could be a little easier to understand
It is fantastic for a remote workforce to have an easy way to follow and get documents they need easily.
Incentivized
Currently, Gusto is most effective in helping me manage myself/employee time-off requests and hours logging (both real-time and retroactively). I also appreciate the different time-off "banks" that make it easy to track whether you are using sick time, PTO, unpaid time, etc., to divide up time-off requests appropriately. It would be great if there were a way to overlap time-off requests within a department to ensure nothing is overlapping (though this may currently be a feature I'm just unaware of).
  • Gusto efficiently manages time off requests, including the allotted time remaining and the types of time off available for employees and managers to access/respond to.
  • Gusto makes accessing paystubs and alerts regarding upcoming paydays very user-friendly/easy.
  • Gusto does a great job visually representing the employee/employer chart, so it's easy to know who's managing who within each department/overall.
  • Have an "auto breaks" option to make it easier to add break times (e.g., "30-minute lunch break") to the schedule when inputting hours.
  • Ability to revise pre-existed time off requests (of course, would still need updated approval) instead of having to delete the request/start over entirely (e.g., if the time off request extends from 1 to 2 hours).
It is great for our sized company and is very easy to learn for new employees. I appreciate the user-friendly interface and intuitive features.
Griffin Grabow | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
It is a great way to track pay periods as well as to clock in and out efficiently. I love that it clearly advises when my next payday is and allows me to better be able to plan out paying my monthly bills.
  • Good App
  • Excellent UI
I think it does well with small to medium sized businesses. Ive only used it with 2 different companies who both were medium sized and thought Gusto was a strong point. Very much a fan of how Gusto works as well as how easy they make it for me around tax season to easily download all tax documents. Gusto even emails me once the tax docs are ready for download... I mean, pretty cool!
Incentivized
Gusto organizes and simplifies various HR processes and tasks in one easily accessible location. It helps immensely with time management, tracking reimbursement, employee notes, vacation requests, and more. It also has functionality and compatibility with various other sites for things such as sign-in and offers great benefits for employees to access.
  • Time Tracking / Management.
  • Payroll / Savings Account and General Money Management.
  • Employee Record Keeping.
  • It would be nice if there was a way for individual employees to log in more quickly and easily to clock in and out.
  • It would be nice if employees could pre-emptively request a time modification so supervisors wouldn't have to update any changes entirely manually.
  • Sometimes, the way time tracking is set up can be confusing for people. It should preferably always show what hours people have available to schedule.
I think it's helpful for smaller businesses that would otherwise have to track and manage the various aspects that Gusto helps to automate/track. It probably isn't as beneficial for companies with a well-established HR dept. With multiple policies, procedures, and tools in place, it seems to be worth it for a small business owner.
Incentivized
My workplace uses Gusto for paying employees their weekly checks and requesting and documenting time off. It makes keeping track of upcoming and past payments incredibly simple and clear. I appreciate how organized it is. I use it personally to help me keep my budget on track and maintain a good number of working hours. It is easy to use and very helpful.
  • It organizes information in a visually pleasing way.
  • It makes tracking hours simple and clear.
  • It adds up monthly pay which helps with budgeting.
  • It allows you to see how much time off you have available.
  • I love how the website version shows the total number of hours, including the current shift. I wish the mobile version did the same.
  • It would be amazing if it notified you after 12 hours that you forgot to clock out.
  • I would love an option to "take a 30-minute break" while I'm in the middle of a shift rather than adding it later.
I work for a private but quickly growing company that Gusto works perfectly for. It allows easy tracking of payments for both part-time and full-time employees. The company I work for has several different teams, and I have never heard anyone have a problem with Gusto! It is visually pleasing, clear, and easy to use.
July 04, 2024

I love you Gusto!

Incentivized
I use Gusto to receive my direct deposits from my job and as a time clock method to clock in at work. Gusto's website and app are easy to navigate and very convenient. Gusto allows you to get your paycheck two days early, which helps tremendously when things are due before Friday.
  • Early pay.
  • Easy website.
  • Great response times.
  • A chat feature.
  • A budgeting tool.
Getting my paycheck on time and clocking into work has never been easier! When I set up my account, I can definitely say I never had an easier experience before Gusto! I highly recommend Gusto for business and personal reasons because I have never been happier with a company!