Skip to main content
Gusto

Gusto

What is Gusto?

Gusto offers payroll, benefits and compliance capabilities. Gusto is scaled for small to mid-sized businesses, and emphasizes an easy to use interface.

Gusto is awesome!

Hot Dang!!!

Incentivized
I use Gusto to pay my employees and receive pay with stubs. I really like the program and it is very easy to navigate and update things …

Gusto is Great!

July 16, 2024

Gusto is great for us

July 15, 2024

Gusto Review

TrustRadius Insights

Slow Functionality and Room for Improvement: Some users have noted experiencing sluggish performance specifically when managing a large …

• Direct deposit files (276)
  • Pay calculation (270)
  • Salary revision and increment management (218)
  • Benefit plan administration (193)

Simple: A streamlined set of automatic payroll features and benefits integrations

$40/month + $6/mo per person

$12 per employee/contractor

Plus: Comprehensive payroll, benefits, and HR tools for employers building a great place to work

$80/month + $12/mo per person

Premium: Scalable payroll and benefits, expert HR, and dedicated support for the complex needs of growing teams

Exclusive pricing, contact Gusto

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://gusto.com/product/pricing?utm_s…

• Premium Consulting/Integration Services

Starting price (does not include set up fee)

• $46 per month

Product Demos

Gusto Payroll Demo

YouTube

Gusto Demo: Refreshingly intuitive payroll, benefits, and HR for small business

YouTube

Features

Payroll Management

Provides for pay calculation and benefit plan administration, in addition to managing direct deposit, salary revisions and payroll tracking.

Avg 8.2

What is Gusto?

Gusto is an online people platform that aims to help small businesses take care of their teams. According to the vendor, their products and services help customers onboard, pay, insure, and engage their team in one integrated, easy-to-use platform used by over 300,000 modern employers. Gusto aims to make taking care of teams a joyful experience, while helping users manage their bottom line and stay compliant. Gusto promises that users will feel like a pro no matter how complicated the situation.

Full-service payroll - According to the vendor, Gusto makes running payroll easy. Gusto automatically calculates and files payroll taxes, help keeps companies compliant, and provides awesome support.

Benefits that work for any team and budget - Gusto aims to make offering employee benefits a reality for any small business. Whether an organization is buying health insurance for the first time or wants to integrate an existing plan with payroll, Gust can provide expert guidance. They'll help with add-ons like 401(k), life insurance, and commuter benefits, which the vendor says allows companies to create a competitive package that attracts and retains employees. The vendor promises their modern, intuitive software and team of licensed advisors helps customers navigate benefits with confidence.

Gusto Features

• Supported: Direct deposit files
  • Supported: Payroll tracking and auditing
  • Supported: Salary revision and increment management

Gusto Screenshots

Screenshot of Flexible, automated payrollScreenshot of Time-off trackingScreenshot of The source of truth for HR data

Gusto Video

Gusto is more than payroll and benefits

Gusto Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based
Supported CountriesUnited States
Supported LanguagesEnglish, Spanish

Gusto starts at $46.

Paychex Flex, ADP Streamline Payroll, and QuickBooks Online are common alternatives for Gusto.

Reviewers rate Reimbursement management highest, with a score of 9.5.

The most common users of Gusto are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

Attribute Ratings

Tim Witkoski | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
We use Gusto for a number of purposes at our agency. We use it to monitor and approve team time off requests, keep track of payroll, onboarding and document storage. We also use their people structure to help with order and give clear job description and titles to our team so we can maintain the hierarchy with in our organization.
  • Paystub breakdown and searches
  • Document storage
  • Time off requests
  • Payday Tracker
  • The Job/Pay pages were taken away, I would like to see those again.
  • more information on the additional tools, like the rainy day feature.
I have never seen a paystub organize like Gusto before. The User interface is extremely friendly and easier to navigate than any others I have seen in the past.

Gusto is awesome!

Incentivized
We use Gusto for time keeping, to keep track of PTO, and team member info. It helps to consolidate everything in one place and be able to access info about benefits easily.
  • Keeping track of paydays and paystubs
  • Keeping track and requesting PTO
  • Being able to see info about other members of the company
  • Time keeping could be improved. It is a little bit clunky and if there were more features it might be faster to use
Gusto is really great for keeping track of typical HR info and pay information. I think it could be improved when it comes to timekeeping especially for instances when there are a lot of projects to enter time for.

Gusto is Great!

Incentivized
We use it as our payroll platform. It consolidates all our finances onto one platform. It has useful tools that allow us to understand how we are getting paid, access financial resources should we need them, and manage our money.
  • Accessibility.
  • Communication
  • Up to Date.
  • Better push notifications.
I believe this platform is great for a smaller business. We can thrive with it because it meets our needs. I could foresee a larger business having its bare needs met but not being supported with niche requests. We are also a structured W-2 company, but if that model is not applicable, it might not be as conducive to a productive work environment.

Incentivized
It is used for Payroll at the company I work for. It addresses tracking hours as well as maintaining important tax-related documentation. It helps me keep track of my pay stubs, and it helps with staffing because I can see all of the previous contractors used at the company.
  • Tracking hours.
  • Viewing paystub history.
  • Changing payment method.
  • When I switched from a 1099 employee to a W2 employee, one whole paycheck got lost in the switch, and I no longer have access to view my paystub history from when I worked as a 1099 employee.
  • It's annoying that sometimes the ability to adjust my hours gets "locked," and I need an administrator to do so.
  • I can't enter my hours in advance, which sometimes causes an issue on paydays when my employer needs our hours entered by, for example, 4 p.m. However, I plan on working until 5 p.m., so then the next week, I need to add an hour to my timesheet.
I would not recommend it to businesses where they might have 1099 employees and eventually switch to W2 employees. I also cannot speak to how it is with a larger company because the company I work for is small. Also, it's confusing that the app is called Gusto Wallet and not just Gusto. Also, my employer does not have it set up so that we can clock in on the app, so I have to put in my hours afterwards manually.
Incentivized
I use it to keep track of my hours and time off. As a therapist who is paid hourly, it is a really nice way to track hours and stay organized around my scheduling. I enjoy being able to see the + or minus from PTO and the history if I need to look back to check on dates.
  • TRACKING HOURS
  • PAYMENT
  • PTO TRACKING
  • Health insurance bridge.
  • Will let you know if your payment is not processing.
  • Sounds for confirmation of submitting.
I have never used a better hour/pay/HR system. It is highly recommended, streamlined, and easy to use. Hopefully, Gusto is secure! It is way better than Wurk or HR checkwriters; those were horrible, and there were significant data breaches for workers/employees. I feel confident about using Gusto as I haven't had any issues.
Incentivized
Everything is in one place! It is convenient to have new hire paperwork, time off requests, benefit information, and more all in one location. The app from the employee side is also really easy to use, and I have had no issues with it regarding checking my paystubs and benefits.
  • Payroll, easy to use and check.
  • New employee paperwork is easy to use and sign.
  • The app is intuitive and convenient.
  • It would be nice if, as an admin, I could switch views from admin tasks to employee views instead of having it all in one place.
  • Have a calendar with all the approved time off.
  • Have a employee scheduling feature that time off can be seamlessly added to.
Gusto works well for the size of our staff and our software needs. I can't really speak to how this particular software would do for different teams of different sizes, whether bigger or smaller, because this is the only time I've used the service and app. It's pretty organized and mostly easy to use, but I sometimes have trouble locating different features from the home page.

Incentivized
We use this for payroll tracking and payment. It allows us to clock in and out and see our accrued time for the week. It is easy to apply a certain amount to different accounts to pay bills quickly. It is easy to adjust your time if you forget to clock in or out.
  • Track accrued time for the week.
  • Divide your paychecks to different bank accounts.
  • Savings goals.
  • Spending tracking.
  • Be able to see the accrued time off.
I like that I can split my paycheck between different bank accounts and that we can see our reviews. The mobile app is excellent, and I can see my hours when I am away from work. GPS could work better. I want to be able to track my vacation time.
July 16, 2024

Incentivized
Gusto is great for tracking employee hours and quickly editing time for employees who forgot to clock in. It’s also great for seeing everyone’s earnings at a glance. It’s much easier than manually entering things into a spreadsheet. I do wish it loaded more quickly on mobile. The way it shows the pay period overview is very nice. We all like using it.
  • Time tracking efficiently
  • Displaying hours worked each pay period
  • Displaying the hours worked by the entire team
  • The loading screen takes a long time
  • Too many ads for the Gusto debit account
Gusto is great for small businesses where there’s a lot of remote work because people can use it on their phones. It’s also good because you can easily view pay history. Approving hours for a whole team is easy to do with a switch, and edits are easy to make.
Incentivized
We use Gusto for almost everything that pertains to employees: clocking in and out during the work day, scheduling the front and back of house employees, human resources related paperwork, payroll and payment information, direct deposit payments, and more. It's a 1 stop shop for everything an employee could need to access on a daily/weekly/annual basis.
  • Direct deposit
  • Hours tracking
  • Housing HR information
  • Payroll
  • Web browser on phone
There are many other vendors out there I feel that offer similar services but where I feel that Gusto excels is by housing many human resource and payroll related facets all in one site. The dashboard makes it easy for employees to navigate their workplace and pull up information easily.

Gusto is Grrrrreat!

Betsy Faustyn | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
I have been using Gusto for quite some time now. My professional role requires my attention outside of normal business hours and Gusto makes it so seamless to track my chaotic schedule. I have downloaded the APP on to my smart phone, but I also use the web page when I am at my desk/laptop/workstation. BOTH are absolutely GREAT! Dont forget- The user friendly app makes it quite easy to update info, check past pay stubs, and download/view tax information. I have had to search for Tax info as well as past pay stubs and it was super easy & quick! I have recommended Gusto to others to use as an employee and employer. 10/10 awesome!
  • clean web page
  • readable tracking time
  • cute pig!
I have needed past pay stubs for validation of income, they were simple to pull up and print. I have also needed my tax info- same thing, simple to pull up and print.
Katie Marie Meyer, SHRM-CP | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
We are an HR company that uses Gusto ourselves and recommends it to small businesses. We utilize Gusto for Payroll, onboarding, benefits, and more.
  • Payroll- so streamlined
  • User-friendly, Penny the Pig is adorable
  • Onboarding
  • There's multiple ways to get to something
  • Time keeping is a little rough- you don't see the total hours for the day when you go into the details of the week plus there's not an option to have the week reflect our work week (Sun-Sat)
  • Implementation of benefits- needs more communication if something is out of the ordinary. We implemented benefits a little late and didn't realize it wouldn't automatically come out of Payroll. We caught it, but it would have been great to have Gusto's help with that.
Small-medium sized businesses will excel if they use Gusto. It's easy for employees to use and have questions answered. HR teams will save time onboarding and in Payroll.
Incentivized
The majority of this service provides relief to Payroll; Time clocks, Adjustments, edits, PTO, STO, RTO services, Benefit packages, and other Services automated through gusto, rather than HR having to front-load. There are other services Gusto offers, but we have yet to need them.
  • Timesheets
  • Employee calendar
  • Easily navigate benefits package
  • Wallet App needs to reflect correctly; compared to Browser version. (PTO)
  • Better flow for reminders of benefits and enrollment deadlines.
  • Tax tools on App is glitchy at times ( Acknowledging it is a new service)
Payroll and automating HR services is a huge leverage point for the company. Cannot specifically speak on a less appropriate scenario for Gusto.
Incentivized
Our nonprofit organization uses Gusto for a variety of human resources related purposes. These include tracking payroll and benefits, submitting and approving paid time off requests, recording performance reviews, and tracking job applications. This helps with internal communication and organization, while ensuring that there is accountability and legal compliance across the board.
  • Time off tracking
  • Pay stubs
  • Providing tax documents
  • Staying logged in
  • Resume organization
Gusto is useful for a variety of human resources related purposes. These include tracking payroll and benefits, submitting and approving paid time off requests, recording performance reviews, and tracking job applications. I have had a positive experience managing time off requests and finding tax documents with relative ease. It is not the best hiring platform I have ever used.

Gusto Review

Incentivized
We use it for payroll purposes. This includes clocking in and out, reimbursements, PTO and time off requests, approval of staff members. It helps the timing and process of getting everyone's hours in without me having to check in every week to make sure it is accurate. We have started using Gusto much more recently and it has been great.
  • Clocking in and out
  • Adjusting Clocking In Hours after the day
  • Ways to put in Reimbursement
  • A reminder noticfication to clock in/out on daily schedule
  • A way to put reimbursements in on the app
  • A way to have all staff members clock in on 1 iPad.
It is an easy system for all staff members use. The clock in and out features are easy to find and use. Editing your times is easy and useful. Also, it has a place to put in reimbursements to be approved which is good. As a manager, it is an easy approval process to put in and edit other staff members hours if they forget.
Incentivized
Gusto has helped us with both payroll and insurance tracking. The time tracking, clocking-in and out is 6an essential feature that provides all our employees with flexibility to manage their time accordingly. Would highly recommend gusto to any business starting out or a friend whose focus is in managing a team.
  • Time tracking
  • Payroll
  • Insurance
  • Time off feature
Gusto enables users to clock in through their computer or mobile device at the registered work location. The application on mobile could use a bit of re-work on more accessible options. A patch may be required in order to better connectivity when wi-fi internet isn't available. Closing the application and re-opening for connectivity gets tedious.
Incentivized
I get paid via Gusto as a contractor, and I also help run payroll for a number of businesses. I have recommended it to probably a dozen clients. It effectively takes away all stress about managing payroll, taxes, benefits, timekeeping, etc. But, at the same time, it doesn't feel like a mega-company like ADP or Paychex. It is in the sweet spot for me, both on the contractor end, and as someone who runs payroll for other businesses.
  • Gusto makes onboarding employees and ensuring their documents are signed very easy.
  • The way you can integrate things like Google Workspace makes both onboarding new employees into the apps you use a breeze, as well as when you need to offboard them.
  • Managing benefits is simple, because they take care of all the heavy lifting. I just have to review the options, make a selection, and they take it from there.
  • Timekeeping and scheduling could use some work. It is one area that I feel like other companies do better in, and I hope they improve. We need to be able to schedule within Gusto, so that we can compare timesheets to actual shifts.
I think if you are a small business, with anywhere from 0-50 employees, Gusto is a good choice. If you start getting bigger than that, it might not be the right tool. To me, it feels best suited for that range of employees. It isn't that it couldn't work with more, I just don't know that I feel like that is who it was made for.

Gusto is great!

Incentivized
Our company uses Gusto to track hours, request time off, view our paystubs, and manage our benefits. Gusto is easy to use and has a good user interface. The website and mobile app are easy to use and I enjoy being able to manage my work account easily. Gusto is by far the easiest platform I have used and its helped me set goals and keep track of my finances.
  • Providing information.
  • User interface.
  • Makes requesting time off easy.
  • More financial options.
  • Detailed expense reports.
  • More customization.
I believe Gusto works well for what I have to do. It covers all the bases in terms of making it easy to request time off and communicate to Human Resources. I like using Gusto and given the choice, would like to continue using Gusto in the future. I like the user interface and the user experience is a good one.
Incentivized
We are a small business with just a few employees and Gusto was the perfect fit. It takes the stress out of payroll and taxes. The system has been easy to use and navigate. Affordability was a top priority and so far has been a great fit for our company.
  • Time tracking
  • Easy access to tax forms
  • Easy to navigate
  • Timely payroll deposits
  • Access to customer service
We have had an issue with payroll going in late a few times. Most payroll goes in at midnight on day of pay and this has not been the case with Gusto. Usually arrives 7-8 am on payday and has been as late as 1pm in the afternoon.
Incentivized
We use it as a time tracker for payroll purposes. It simplifies the time sheet process and makes it easy for workers to track hours when and wherever they are working.
  • Options of manual or timed entries
  • Clean Interface
  • Ability to use Mobile or Desktop
  • More benefit options.
  • Learning tracks/onboarding modules.
  • Text reminders about entry.
For small businesses/nonprofits Gusto is perfect. I'd imagine for larger organizations that a more robust HR interface would be better.
July 11, 2024

Incentivized
Gusto is used for payroll within my organization. We also use it to clock in and out of our shifts. It is also a useful tracker of the hours already worked during a given pay period. It can also be used an an alternate directory to the one we use independently.
  • Nice layout
  • Good app
  • Easy to refer to back to
  • Easy to clock in and out
  • App tends to sign out too frequently
  • I wish I could see the hours I've worked right when I log on
  • It would be good to get notifications directly from the app for reminders to review hours before the pay period closes instead of just email
  • I would like to get notifications from more than one email, not just the one I use to sign into the app
It is a great app for managing payroll. Sometimes I forget to clock in during my shift and there are very little steps I need to take to add those hours back in.
July 11, 2024

I recommend Gusto

Incentivized
Gusto is the main payroll system used. It makes it easy to clock in/clock out, and, even more importantly, add/adjust times afterwards (for when you dive into work and forget to clock in, or get caught up and forget to clock out). It is also easy to use to quickly see benefits and the required information about them, as well as to register for them when needed, to see how much sick/vacation time there is - Gusto has everything needed in one easy-to-use app.<br><br>Plus there's a cute pig, that dresses for the seasons.
  • Everything in one location
  • Easy to find things
  • fun pig
  • easy to use
  • The only thing I can think of is that the information for the health insurance is some ID number that the health insurance company has never seen before, and no one knows what that number is
Since there is the ability to input your own hours, this works best when there is a high level of honesty. The administrator can adjust the hours, but that's a lot of work unless most people are being truthful with the times they input.

One other thing that could be improved - in the Time Tracking section, if you click outside of the box being filled in for that particular day, it closes the box and erases all the info that you put in there. This is super annoying when trying to scroll up to access all the fields.
Incentivized
We use Gusto in order to have great organization and time management, by allowing myself and fellow coworkers to clock in and clock out. It also allows me to keep track of pay structure and payday status. The site is very user friendly.
  • Payday status information
  • Editing time card
  • Tracking hours
  • Gusto could make room for improvement when it comes to providing opportunity to request time off.
  • Gusto could make room for improvement by giving exact time that payday is expected to be transferred to bank account
  • Gusto could make room for improvement by allowing the opportunity to confirm that a lunch break was taken.
Gusto could have added features such as more specifics on paycheck disbursement. I do feel that Gusto is very user friendly and easy to get acclimated to.
Incentivized
We use Gusto for payroll and document signature and exchange for employees. It's great for organizing teams, tracking performance and seamlessly organizing our remote employee data including birthdays, hometowns, and even some of the fun stuff like favorite foods.
  • Hour tracking
  • Multiple platforms for login
  • Mobile app
  • Fun
  • Toggle week vs pay period view
Great for remote hours tracking for employees at a small to medium company. Great for contract workers.
Incentivized
I use it for time keeping, including clocking in and out and requesting time off. The biggest problem I have is when paychecks are processed. I have one of those "get paid early" banks and have never received my paycheck before like 1PM EST. I do like how easy it is to update pay distributions and edit time.
  • pay distributions
  • time editing
  • pto
  • pay processing done earlier
  • accessibility to employee resources
  • pay manager messaging
Honestly, compared to most Payroll software this is by far the best one. Everything is clearly labeled and time off can be done quite easily and changes are done quickly. Like if I need to edit how much money goes into a specific account it's always done as soon as I do it, no waiting.
Incentivized
We use Gusto for payroll and time tracking. Part-time and non-salaried employees enter time daily, for biweekly payroll. Salaried/full-time employees don't have to enter information, but are able to view their paychecks (including history) in Gusto. Ease of use online as well as convenient app, which makes life easier for staff as well as management.
  • Accurate time-keeping
  • User friendly website and app, laid out in a way that makes sense
  • Literally ZERO glitches or problems with the applications!
  • Nothing to improve!
It is easy to use for the employees tracking time and viewing paychecks. It is also easy for the management who process payroll, track time, pay, and benefits, etc. Reports are easy to run and easy to read.