Reviews (26-50 of 165)
- Time off approvals- Keeps a list of who has requested and been approved for time. Makes it easy to not schedule someone accidentally.
- Schedule templates- allows me to have the schedule done with inminutes.
- Employee time management- allows you to see if someone is predicted to hit overtime. Keeps our payroll down.
- If I am looking at the Staff area, for example, and I go into a particular employee, then want to return to the list - I would like it to not automatically start again at the top of the list but where I left off.
- Loading time could be faster
- If I wanted to add a extra shift prior to applying my template it will not allow me to use the template.
Is HotSchedules pricey? Yes and no. A product is only as good as the person that chooses to use all of the features, we value the store logs MORE than just using the scheduler. Add in that we occasionally use the budgetary segment, we believe we get more value out of HotSchedules.
Overall, I would highly recommend HotSchedules for any company - small, medium, and large!
- Store Logs - the ability to record daily events. It provides the review for the monthly results, or even a staff members training progress.
- Scheduler - divide your staff into various departments so your managers can focus on meeting guest needs in smaller groups. Also a great communication tool as it sends out the schedules in a way convenient to the staff member.
- Reports - we only use 5 of 30+ reports, but those provide us material for managers to keep the business on track throughout the day.
- Configuration is key - there can be bumps after bringing a new business into HotSchedules so the terminology has to be different for each one.
- Scheduler - on the old one, there use to be a key that explained the hot keys, now its missing. Probably under Support, but it used to be on the scheduler screen.
It probably would not be as beneficial in an office setting, unless it was strictly used for the scheduler feature. Also, if the operation is small in size (under 15 employees), I believe the price may prevent some from trying the product.
HotSchedules helped us to eliminate the breakdown in communication we were having with staff swapping shifts, shifts that became available, and changes to schedules. Having the ability to manage those changes in real-time and have everyone be accountable has made a huge difference for how we manage our labour and guest experience.
- The ability to approve shift swaps helps us to manage labour, improve staff morale, and maintain strong communication.
- The ease of creating the schedule with hot-keys and being able to duplicate schedules is a huge time saver and makes creating the schedule less of a burden.
- The mobile app is very user-friendly both from an employee and employer perspective. As an employee, it's very easy to trade shifts, view your schedule and message staff members. As the employer it is easy to approve shift changes, view the logbook, toggle between restaurants, view the day's roster, and many other useful features.
- It would be great if there was the option to "select all" in messages rather than having to individually select messages to delete.
- Dissemination of schedule to all individuals on staff using HotSchedules.
- Allows staff to have flexibility in their schedule while ensuring that shifts are covered.
- As changes/approvals are made the system updates, allowing for everyone to look at the schedule as it is in its current form.
- As far as my experience with the system goes, it does not have a backlog of who does approvals. This would be helpful as, with a management team that also has approval authority, it would allow you to see who is authorizing changes to the schedule.
- Having the ability to send attachments through the email system would help greatly in being able to spread much needed information to the staff (new menus, upcoming event information, picture attachments, etc.).
- Being able to set [parameters] for things like the maximum number of approvals reached would be helpful and give employees an immediate feedback letting them know that max number of staff has been reached that can request off for a particular day. It would help both ways by stopping someone with approval authority from accidentally approving too many request offs.
- Hotschedules is very easy to navigate making it usable by everyone!
- Hotschedules makes staying organized easy!
- We can reach every single employee at any given moment with important information through hotschedules!
- We just had an update to our time clock and we don’t like it. It takes longer for our management and team to clock in and out and has added steps that could be more simplified, though we do like seeing hours worked so far.
- Managing shift switch requests
- Managing time off requests
- Sometimes I feel the interface is a little clunky. It would be easier if I could make changes to employees with fewer steps.
- Easier to use on an Ipad.
- Customer service in regards to trouble shooting technical issues.
- Customer service for answering any questions employees or managers may have.
- Training on the use & functions of HotSchedules.
- Sometimes the HotSchedules system goes down for no apparent reason.
- The updated scheduler interface is sometimes confusing.
- The updated employee requested time off interface is more confusing and difficult to understand now than it used to be.
- HotSchedules helps to manage labor costs. We are able to enter labor forecasts, special events, weather, etc. and compare anywhere from last week or last year to the current week. This simple feature is huge when it comes to managing profits and labor costs.
- HotSchedules prevents scheduling errors. Employees can block out when they are not available as well as show when they are available and that makes scheduling much easier. Schedule requests are documented as to the date when submitted and managers can prevent last minute requests by setting due dates for all scheduling requests.
- Communication: Everyone's phone numbers and emails are in the program which helps us contact each other with the simple press of a button. If we are ever short staffed or need to call someone in, we can send a message to the masses or quickly text/call someone. Gone are the days of having to go look up staff phone numbers in a file or office computer when you are slammed with a lunch or dinner.
- Documentation: the log-book feature is such an important tool for the restaurant. We are able to document everything such as employee or guest incidents, repair and maintenance issues, staff announcements and more. Having everything recorded is vital for efficient restaurant management.
- The only thing I wish that could change is being able to log into multiple accounts from one user name. Where I work, I am a catering manager and we have 3 restaurants. If I need staffing, I have to log in separately to each restaurant. I hate having 3 log-ins.
- I would love to have color coding on shift rosters for am and pm shifts to make them easier to read.
- HotSchedules provides a great solution to time management. It can be a some what difficult managing over 500 employees across three different venues. With this program in place, we can easily prepare schedules and trainings weeks in advance which gives an abundance of time for shift management, creative thinking, and execution.
- It's a great communication tool! The ability to communicate with all of your staff through one source is very unique! We never have problems now with shift maintenance. Employees are actually able to communicate with themselves when a problem arrives in terms of their schedule. Employees can easily trade shifts with a managers approval.
- The Schoox training website is a must have!!! Very impressed with its capabilities. I love that you're able to setup lectures, courses, and curriculums for however you business model is setup. I'm constantly hiring, promoting, and training new employees. Our training process is one of the essential keys for us to make sure our employees accomplishing their duties how we see fit.
- So one problem I have with HotSchedules is the ability to link multiple venues within the same app. From a manager's perspective, we have to constantly log in and out of our HotSchedules application so we can see who is scheduled for that particular venue for that day. It would be extremely convenient if you could log in once with one administrative hotschedules username instead of having to memorize three usernames to sign into three different venues. We use an application called "Pulse" that allows the user to view yearly, daily and hourly sales. A really unique feature that "Pulse" has is their swipe functionality. With a simple swipe to the left or right, we are able to see all the sales for a certain venue. This would be extremely helpful if that was implemented.
- Another feature that would be great to add to HotSchedules is some type of notification system for the training process. It would be nice to receive some type of text or email to notify when an employee has completed a certain course, lecture, or quiz.
- Another feature I think would be awesome to have is the ability to turn off a scheduling process until the curriculums have been fully completed. We are constantly hiring tons of security staff, and some times there's a few employees that slip through the cracks without us realizing that they haven't completed their online training process.
- Hotschedules messaging service works like an email service for us to be able to communicate with one individual, a department or the entire staff. It gives us the ability to send out important information to our 400+ employees at each location.
- The ability for employees to switch around their own shifts without having to track down a manager and have them change the schedule saves a tremendous amount of time and makes it very efficient.
- The rosters and app are very helpful to seeing who is on the shift and how many hours they are projected and being able to call the employee directly from the app.
- How the scheduling piece changed a few months ago makes it more difficult to make a schedule. This change caused the managers to have to spend more time making their schedules.
- End user functionality, streamlined app for staff to access their schedules, communication with each other, and request changes.
- Adapt to feedback. The new release of the scheduler is amazing. Added features that I always wished were there and now are easy to access and toggle between.
- Additional tools for analysis. Labor and sales data analysis is very helpful!
- Would love to see them integrate with more POS companies. We just switched from Aloha to Toast. (Of course I want them to integrate with the company we are using!).
- A small thing, but it would be really amazing if staff had the ability to split their shifts and release part of their shift for pick up, like the first hour, or last hour!
- When the system is down, there is no way to access the schedule at all. Doesn't happen often, but would be great if there was some kind of back up where we could log in to our restaurant and see a roster report of the most recently updated copy before there was a glitch in the system.
- Scheduling automatically generates a dollar cost so you can see what expense you are projecting instantaneously.
- Managing schedule requests, shift changes and swaps from your phone gives great flexibility.
- Managers can communicate important messages with staff and know that they have seen the messages.
- The visual platform could be potentially be improved for new beginners by mimicking Excel spreadsheets since most come from that type of system.
- The platform should be more functional to switch user views - rows vs. column data should be able to be swapped if needed. Shift types should be able to be customized- lunch/day vs. dinner/night. For example, you should be able to group employees however you need and keep their day part shifts (lunch, swing, dinner, etc...) together when grouping employees.
- The use of schedule templates and the schedule creator are so user-friendly that they have taken a complex task and made it all doable in a very short amount of time. After creating thoughtful templates and casting accurate sales projections the schedule writing process has saved my team countless hours of time to be more productive elsewhere.
- Broadcast messaging is a wonderful way for my leadership team to get important messages out to the entire team at a moment's notice and can rest assured that everyone will receive it.
- The labor pro forma by week day view is a highly effective way to view daily labor performance and stay proactive on meeting labor targets.
- It would be nice if the schedule creator tab for labor budgeting contained projected sales that were manually adjusted and not just generated forecasts.
- The ability to track when and who created or made adjustments to schedule templates would be huge!
It is used in a multiple departments as a way to efficiently schedule about 180 employees. It helps address the accessibility of the schedule to our employees and allows for quick response to covering shifts and broadcasting essential information to our employees. It has reduced the amount of time needed to complete schedules as well as in finding coverage for shifts.
The logbook is also a very important aspect of HotSchedules that we use on a daily basis to convey messages between Managers and record the days events.
- The release/swap function is really a well thought out idea that allows employees the freedom to adapt their schedule if necessary and managers the control to see what is going on with the shifts and where things can be improved.
- The Logbook is one of the strongest attributes of HotSchedules because it allows all the information of day-to-day operations to be in one spot and can be accessed by all management.
- The not allowing of shifts to be picked up if there are overlapping hours is very problematic and should be at the discretion of the manager to watch for these things, not the system.
- The app should have the ability for managers to see and edit schedules. It would improve the versatility of the app and allow for better access outside of the office.
- If a manager could add jobs, locations, and schedules to an employee while in the scheduler instead of moving out the scheduler and to the staff list to edit the availability it would make for a more flawless application of the scheduler and the jobs.
HotSchedules is well suited for a business that has more than 15 employees and wants to improve their staffing. It gives the employee ready access to their schedule on their phone instead of having to call in to work or find a printed schedule.
It would not be as well suited for a smaller business that sees the majority of its employees on a daily basis and can convey major topics with them in person.
- Schedule posting and organization, obviously
- Integrates with Micros so I can lock the schedule and avoid punching in early by employees
- HotSchedules interface could stand to be more pliable. I run a twenty four hour business. My business day starts at 8am one day and ends at 8am the next day. It is virtually impossible to schedule overnight employees because the system recognizes the shift as the next day. Before the recent upgrade, it was much easier to schedule. When I inquired about going back to the old software, I was just told no. Now I'm looking for alternative programs
- The budgeting tool is a mystery and is very rigid. It's based on a single type of schedule based on days of the week and business levels.
- Any requests for training gets routed back to the online videos which neither provide any real training and there's no ability to ask questions in real time.
- No up-to-the-minute information. You have to wait until the next day to see who is approaching overtime. I would love to get a text whenever an employee is approaching overtime, not based on a report.
- No on-boarding software. No tip integration. No payroll intergration.
- Shift swapping
- Picking up house shifts
- Able to access schedule from just about anywhere that has internet access
- I don't work with the scheduling anymore so I have not used it since that last couple of updates. I now just manage accounts.
- Time management
- Labor management
- Speed of back end functionality (scheduling wizard is slow).
- Ability to mass delete and add employees instead of one by one.
- Connect with time clock systems specific to our property.
- Useful features all in one, such as allowing employees to adjust their availability, request off, or message other staff and/or managers. It makes it a useful tool for employees to use.
- Easy to maneuver website and phone app, so that even our non tech-savvy employees are able to use it.
- Easy for our managers to use and pull up daily schedules of front and back of house staff, allowing them to view today's staff at a glance.
- Some features seem to be harder to find on the phone app than on the website. For our employees who use mainly one or the other, sometimes it can be hard for them to find certain functions.
- Keep everyone in the management team involved in the daily labor spend.
- Connect all users in one system of communication.
- Assist in the planning and creating of staffing pairs and scheduling based on volume.
- Helps with accountability and tracking of written employee counseling events.
- There are some confusing aspects of the POS/HotSchedules integration that could be improved.
- The double verification aspect needed for on-boarding can be a deterrent for some employee users.
- The reporting tab is great but takes some time to pull the individual reports. Response time could be improved.
- Keeping track of ACA employee compliance.
- Allows managers to easily reach employees by using the mobile app.
- Training videos, ongoing employee training.
- Allowing admin to add a photo of the employee so we can easily identify all our staff in our organization. A name and a face is important!
- Allow certification reminders to go to select individuals depending upon the certification.
- ACA compliance, ability to adjust how the measure period is used. If an employee changes from part time to full time status (or vice versa) the measurement period shows hours worked as out of compliance.
- I've been trying to organize the HotSchedules team to present to our independent restaurant association. HotSchedules has the potential to add many more users in our county but they've been negligent in following through after an initial conversation with our rep. It's been surprising to me that they're not interested in pursuing more restaurant users.
- As an owner I can know what's going on in my business anywhere in the world.
- Able to change scheduling on a dime when numbers change.
- Great for communicating with one person or the whole staff.
- Great for labor prediction.
- Scheduling screens are difficult to read.
- The mobile app is very affordable and easy to use.
- The schedule writing feature is intuitive.
- It would be nice if employees could see everyone else's schedule, or who is working with them on the shift.
- It would be nice to be able to write the schedule from the mobile app.
HotSchedules Scorecard Summary
HotSchedules is a cloud-based scheduling, labor and communication management software solution serving the restaurant and hospitality industry.
According to the vendor, key benefits include:
Build & Communicate Schedules
The scheduling and labor management software reduces the time it takes managers to create and communicate schedules. All scheduling and employee information is stored in one central location, so managers have access to time-off requests, availability, skill level, and certification compliance.Work Schedule App
The HotSchedules mobile app lets employees check their schedule, request time off, swap shifts, manage availability, and send messages. All shift requests require a manager's approval.Forecasting and Reporting
When integrated with the POS, the tool pulls time and attendance, sales and guest data into the system. The forecasting engine shows past sales trends, which makes it possible to build schedules with the right amount of labor. There are also over 40 reports.Multi-Unit Store View
The Above Store Console provides reporting and visibility across stores, anywhere and at any time. It can be configured by region, state, country.Bilingual App & Support
The mobile app is available in English & Spanish. Employees can call into the AVS or Customer Support Center to get their schedule in English or Spanish - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
HotSchedules Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
|Bilingual: English & Spanish|
HotSchedules Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Apple iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Mobile Web|
|Supported Languages:||English, Spanish|