HotSchedules Reviews

Jessica Micka | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 12, 2018

So Hot Review

I have four businesses with one building, all restaurant and Bar related. I use HotSchedules for all employee scheduling as well as the web clock. I refer back to several of their reports that are easily accessible.
  • Time off approvals- Keeps a list of who has requested and been approved for time. Makes it easy to not schedule someone accidentally.
  • Schedule templates- allows me to have the schedule done with inminutes.
  • Employee time management- allows you to see if someone is predicted to hit overtime. Keeps our payroll down.
  • If I am looking at the Staff area, for example, and I go into a particular employee, then want to return to the list - I would like it to not automatically start again at the top of the list but where I left off.
  • Loading time could be faster
  • If I wanted to add a extra shift prior to applying my template it will not allow me to use the template.
Great for businesses with several employees with different departments to schedule for.
Read Jessica Micka's full review
Frank Jameson | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 22, 2017

An app that's Hot Hot Hot, and beats many others that are Not Not Not

We currently use HotSchedules for 3 very different businesses, an entertainment center with 100+ employees, a restaurant with 50+ employees and a liquor store with 15 employees. It works for all 3 businesses and we find it VITAL to use the store logs to provide comparisons and insight from staff to better future events. From an HR standpoint, we keep a log of interactions with your staff, good and bad, providing proof for coachings, merit reviews and even labor audits. From a business operations viewpoint, we post in the logs regarding maintenance issues, new product introductions and customer requests. Todays' employees want their schedule information quick, HotSchedules provides a platform to share that information in the text messages, emails. The entertainment center uses the budget feature and we are working to introduce that feature to our other two businesses.

Is HotSchedules pricey? Yes and no. A product is only as good as the person that chooses to use all of the features, we value the store logs MORE than just using the scheduler. Add in that we occasionally use the budgetary segment, we believe we get more value out of HotSchedules.

Overall, I would highly recommend HotSchedules for any company - small, medium, and large!
  • Store Logs - the ability to record daily events. It provides the review for the monthly results, or even a staff members training progress.
  • Scheduler - divide your staff into various departments so your managers can focus on meeting guest needs in smaller groups. Also a great communication tool as it sends out the schedules in a way convenient to the staff member.
  • Reports - we only use 5 of 30+ reports, but those provide us material for managers to keep the business on track throughout the day.
  • Configuration is key - there can be bumps after bringing a new business into HotSchedules so the terminology has to be different for each one.
  • Scheduler - on the old one, there use to be a key that explained the hot keys, now its missing. Probably under Support, but it used to be on the scheduler screen.
This product is well suited for all businesses, but definitely, one where the business deals with daily interactions with customers. Retail, restaurants, and amusement parks all would benefit from the scheduler and store log features.

It probably would not be as beneficial in an office setting, unless it was strictly used for the scheduler feature. Also, if the operation is small in size (under 15 employees), I believe the price may prevent some from trying the product.
Read Frank Jameson's full review
Amanda Zelichowski | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 09, 2017

Save time, money and keep people happy!

We currently use HotSchedules for scheduling across two of our four restaurants. We also take advantage of the logbook on a daily basis for both restaurants. Currently only our FOH is using HotSchedules but we will be implementing it into the BOH as well.

HotSchedules helped us to eliminate the breakdown in communication we were having with staff swapping shifts, shifts that became available, and changes to schedules. Having the ability to manage those changes in real-time and have everyone be accountable has made a huge difference for how we manage our labour and guest experience.
  • The ability to approve shift swaps helps us to manage labour, improve staff morale, and maintain strong communication.
  • The ease of creating the schedule with hot-keys and being able to duplicate schedules is a huge time saver and makes creating the schedule less of a burden.
  • The mobile app is very user-friendly both from an employee and employer perspective. As an employee, it's very easy to trade shifts, view your schedule and message staff members. As the employer it is easy to approve shift changes, view the logbook, toggle between restaurants, view the day's roster, and many other useful features.
  • It would be great if there was the option to "select all" in messages rather than having to individually select messages to delete.
HotSchedules was the perfect solution for our restaurants. Moving away from Excel spreadsheets to HotSchedules helped us to not only manage our labour better, but to improve the guest experience. Being able to effectively manage shift trades was one of the best benefits of transitioning to HotSchedules.
Read Amanda Zelichowski's full review
Daniel Butte | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 08, 2017

Efficient Scheduling For The Non-Traditional: Staffing In The Service Industry

We utilize HotSchedules for managing and maintaining our front of the house staff (Servers, Bartenders, Floor Managers, etc). HotSchedules allows for the easy dissemination of the schedule to the staff, while providing the flexibility for them to request time off, swap shifts, pickup/release shifts, and set/change availability. With the advent of smart devices and the app, I have my entire front of the house staffs information available to me at fingertips to include email, phone & text, full roster, and the ability to address everyone as a whole or as an individual. As a manager I not only have control over the approvals, but I also have the ability to justify the with the individual why a request off or swap would not be approved, which keeps an open dialog with the employee reducing confusion and workplace conflict. HotSchedules also allows management to track employee hours, so as schedules change due to swaps and pickups we are able to better control and determine labor.
  • Dissemination of schedule to all individuals on staff using HotSchedules.
  • Allows staff to have flexibility in their schedule while ensuring that shifts are covered.
  • As changes/approvals are made the system updates, allowing for everyone to look at the schedule as it is in its current form.
  • As far as my experience with the system goes, it does not have a backlog of who does approvals. This would be helpful as, with a management team that also has approval authority, it would allow you to see who is authorizing changes to the schedule.
  • Having the ability to send attachments through the email system would help greatly in being able to spread much needed information to the staff (new menus, upcoming event information, picture attachments, etc.).
  • Being able to set [parameters] for things like the maximum number of approvals reached would be helpful and give employees an immediate feedback letting them know that max number of staff has been reached that can request off for a particular day. It would help both ways by stopping someone with approval authority from accidentally approving too many request offs.
HotSchedules is very user-friendly for the restaurant and service industry. The staff that work in this industry have non-traditional hours compared to the standard 9 to 5 template that is the mainstream. With that fact, a scheduling system is needed that is both flexible and efficient allowing the business the ability to control labor costs while maximizing the potential for both themselves as well as the employee.
Read Daniel Butte's full review
Angela Simmons | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 20, 2017

Hotschedules is great!

We use it for our employees work schedule and any messages that need to be sent out. Our employees are also able to track their hours worked and we are able to use check lists to keep up with weekly/daily duties. This allows us to be accountable within management and for our staff to be accountable. We have been much more organized since using hotschedules.
  • Hotschedules is very easy to navigate making it usable by everyone!
  • Hotschedules makes staying organized easy!
  • We can reach every single employee at any given moment with important information through hotschedules!
  • We just had an update to our time clock and we don’t like it. It takes longer for our management and team to clock in and out and has added steps that could be more simplified, though we do like seeing hours worked so far.
Hotschedules is well suited for our team to stay connected and organized. We also can stay on the same page with any information that we need to keep current in our ever-changing schedule. I think for our use it is appropriate and not sure how it would ever be less appropriate.
Read Angela Simmons's full review
Charles Wessels | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 28, 2017

Old fart gets technological

We use it mainly for primary scheduling and allowing staff to make shift changes, update their availability and view schedules electronically. It is also a great way to track and manage requests for time off. Right now we have not delved into the features also available for tracking dollars and labor.
  • Scheduling
  • Managing shift switch requests
  • Managing time off requests
  • Sometimes I feel the interface is a little clunky. It would be easier if I could make changes to employees with fewer steps.
  • Easier to use on an Ipad.
It is well suited once there are more than 20 employees and with multiple different departments or schedules. With most of our employees being younger having something digital appeals to them and is easy for then to understand. I do feel that sometimes our older employees that are less tech savvy fight it bit. Also with a smaller staff, it is a bit too much unless they are spread out and rarely talk or see a manager.
Read Charles Wessels's full review
Matthew Allgauer | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 15, 2017

Scheduling Made Simple

We use it for the weekly schedule, sales forecasting, budgeting, as well as lower our labor costs across the board. Helps us lower OT and lower payroll mistakes. We run the report at end of the week and use it for payroll.
  • Schedule writing
  • Forecasting
  • Reports
  • Updates
  • Schedule writing made a little easier
  • Coaching when there are updates
  • Report finding they should have a search bar
This has been the best tool I’ve ever worked with. It makes schedule writing so easy. Just to answer the previous question was difficult due to how good the system really is.
Read Matthew Allgauer's full review
Sawyer Harrison | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 03, 2017

Must have for even the smallest business

We use HotSchedules for all front of house staff scheduling. HotSchedules addresses employee shift swaps, pickups, time off requests.
  • Customer service in regards to trouble shooting technical issues.
  • Customer service for answering any questions employees or managers may have.
  • Training on the use & functions of HotSchedules.
  • Sometimes the HotSchedules system goes down for no apparent reason.
  • The updated scheduler interface is sometimes confusing.
  • The updated employee requested time off interface is more confusing and difficult to understand now than it used to be.
It is well suited for employee shift swaps, pickups and shift releases.
Read Sawyer Harrison's full review
Tracy Guida | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 31, 2017

HotSchedules Has My Business Smokin' The Competition

HotSchedules is used at the restaurant where I am employed for all staff. Not only does it help schedule efficiently and manage labor, it is a great tool for communication among managers. We use it in every department (FOH, BOH and management). Everything we need is at the click of the button. We love how it keeps lines of communication open and our staff loves being able to release and pick up shifts with the press of a button. Hot schedules has helped streamline labor issues and has kept us running efficiently.
  • HotSchedules helps to manage labor costs. We are able to enter labor forecasts, special events, weather, etc. and compare anywhere from last week or last year to the current week. This simple feature is huge when it comes to managing profits and labor costs.
  • HotSchedules prevents scheduling errors. Employees can block out when they are not available as well as show when they are available and that makes scheduling much easier. Schedule requests are documented as to the date when submitted and managers can prevent last minute requests by setting due dates for all scheduling requests.
  • Communication: Everyone's phone numbers and emails are in the program which helps us contact each other with the simple press of a button. If we are ever short staffed or need to call someone in, we can send a message to the masses or quickly text/call someone. Gone are the days of having to go look up staff phone numbers in a file or office computer when you are slammed with a lunch or dinner.
  • Documentation: the log-book feature is such an important tool for the restaurant. We are able to document everything such as employee or guest incidents, repair and maintenance issues, staff announcements and more. Having everything recorded is vital for efficient restaurant management.
  • The only thing I wish that could change is being able to log into multiple accounts from one user name. Where I work, I am a catering manager and we have 3 restaurants. If I need staffing, I have to log in separately to each restaurant. I hate having 3 log-ins.
  • I would love to have color coding on shift rosters for am and pm shifts to make them easier to read.
I have only used HotSchedules in the restaurant industry and I think it is one of the greatest industry tools ever created. It helps a restaurant run more efficiently by organizing and simplifying the employee and manager scheduling process. I love how I get alerts on my phone when someone needs a shift trade approval.
Read Tracy Guida's full review
Simeon McEachin | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 13, 2017

Maximize Your Time with HotSchedules!

I'm involved in the hiring, scheduling, and training process for our three Kilroy's venues in Bloomington, IN. HotSchedules is an amazing tool for our business. It has greatly helped with our entire training process for new employees and promotions. We have a very in-depth training program and within the last 6 months, the Schoox online training academy has helped us extend that training process even further. Our employees are now able to get their feet wet before starting their physical training. I have set up curriculums for security staff, bar back staff, server staff, kitchen staff, and our bartending staff. These tools have helped out tremendously in terms of time management, preparation, and execution in all tiers of our establishment.
  • HotSchedules provides a great solution to time management. It can be a some what difficult managing over 500 employees across three different venues. With this program in place, we can easily prepare schedules and trainings weeks in advance which gives an abundance of time for shift management, creative thinking, and execution.
  • It's a great communication tool! The ability to communicate with all of your staff through one source is very unique! We never have problems now with shift maintenance. Employees are actually able to communicate with themselves when a problem arrives in terms of their schedule. Employees can easily trade shifts with a managers approval.
  • The Schoox training website is a must have!!! Very impressed with its capabilities. I love that you're able to setup lectures, courses, and curriculums for however you business model is setup. I'm constantly hiring, promoting, and training new employees. Our training process is one of the essential keys for us to make sure our employees accomplishing their duties how we see fit.
  • So one problem I have with HotSchedules is the ability to link multiple venues within the same app. From a manager's perspective, we have to constantly log in and out of our HotSchedules application so we can see who is scheduled for that particular venue for that day. It would be extremely convenient if you could log in once with one administrative hotschedules username instead of having to memorize three usernames to sign into three different venues. We use an application called "Pulse" that allows the user to view yearly, daily and hourly sales. A really unique feature that "Pulse" has is their swipe functionality. With a simple swipe to the left or right, we are able to see all the sales for a certain venue. This would be extremely helpful if that was implemented.
  • Another feature that would be great to add to HotSchedules is some type of notification system for the training process. It would be nice to receive some type of text or email to notify when an employee has completed a certain course, lecture, or quiz.
  • Another feature I think would be awesome to have is the ability to turn off a scheduling process until the curriculums have been fully completed. We are constantly hiring tons of security staff, and some times there's a few employees that slip through the cracks without us realizing that they haven't completed their online training process.
Our Kilroy's venues are rather large in terms of square footage. HotSchedules has a great system in place in terms of dividing specific sections of your business. On most really busy days we can have up to 60 to 90 employees scheduled to work. If we don't set up their hotschedules to where the employee knows exactly where they will be for the day, shift management would be a nightmare. This keeps us very organized.
Read Simeon McEachin's full review
Gerald Tipton | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 06, 2017

Scheduling Nirvana

We use Hotschedules for both our locations for all scheduling and messaging needs across the company. It gives our staff the capability to communicate with our managers and vice versa. It gives them the ability to coordinate swapping shifts in a manner that is always documented so that nothing slips through the cracks.
  • Hotschedules messaging service works like an email service for us to be able to communicate with one individual, a department or the entire staff. It gives us the ability to send out important information to our 400+ employees at each location.
  • The ability for employees to switch around their own shifts without having to track down a manager and have them change the schedule saves a tremendous amount of time and makes it very efficient.
  • The rosters and app are very helpful to seeing who is on the shift and how many hours they are projected and being able to call the employee directly from the app.
  • How the scheduling piece changed a few months ago makes it more difficult to make a schedule. This change caused the managers to have to spend more time making their schedules.
Hotschedules would work great for anyone with a staff of 50-1000+. It is a very efficient way to make schedules and comminicate with the staff. You can also keep track of performance issues or excellence so that they can be used in reviews or disciplinary actions. I am not sure it would be appropriate for the small staff below 50.
Read Gerald Tipton's full review
Alison Wisthuff | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 01, 2017

HotSchedules makes our staff happy!

We are a single location independent restaurant. HotSchedules is being used for scheduling all of our hourly staff at our coffee shop. It addresses a couple of scheduling problems that we used to face before using HotSchedules. First, communication of the schedule. It puts the current, up-to-date schedule in all of my staffs' hands, all the time with access from anywhere. It creates ownership/responsibility of their own schedules and making changes to the schedule by allowing for messaging, swapping, releasing and picking up shifts with ease of communication from anywhere. It also gives me the ability to quickly monitor and create new schedules with tools for analysis.
  • End user functionality, streamlined app for staff to access their schedules, communication with each other, and request changes.
  • Adapt to feedback. The new release of the scheduler is amazing. Added features that I always wished were there and now are easy to access and toggle between.
  • Additional tools for analysis. Labor and sales data analysis is very helpful!
  • Would love to see them integrate with more POS companies. We just switched from Aloha to Toast. (Of course I want them to integrate with the company we are using!).
  • A small thing, but it would be really amazing if staff had the ability to split their shifts and release part of their shift for pick up, like the first hour, or last hour!
  • When the system is down, there is no way to access the schedule at all. Doesn't happen often, but would be great if there was some kind of back up where we could log in to our restaurant and see a roster report of the most recently updated copy before there was a glitch in the system.
Well suited for a large part time hourly staff who like to swap shifts all over the place! It is essential and saves SO much time from our managers having to communicate individually with all of the staff. Less appropriate for a salaried staff or small staff who see each other all the time anyway and could easily communicate in person about shift changes.
Read Alison Wisthuff's full review
Chris Disney | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 20, 2017

HotSchedules for Restaurants

Hotschedules is used by each individual restaurant across the organization. It allows managers to schedule effectively and communicate, manage and control scheduling functions at their fingertips. There is more accountability in an industry where staff members have a lot of scheduling flexibility needs.
  • Scheduling automatically generates a dollar cost so you can see what expense you are projecting instantaneously.
  • Managing schedule requests, shift changes and swaps from your phone gives great flexibility.
  • Managers can communicate important messages with staff and know that they have seen the messages.
  • The visual platform could be potentially be improved for new beginners by mimicking Excel spreadsheets since most come from that type of system.
  • The platform should be more functional to switch user views - rows vs. column data should be able to be swapped if needed. Shift types should be able to be customized- lunch/day vs. dinner/night. For example, you should be able to group employees however you need and keep their day part shifts (lunch, swing, dinner, etc...) together when grouping employees.
Hotschedules is well suited for larger staffs and when different managers possibly schedule different departments. For smaller 15 or under staffs, it may be more complex than a simple spreadsheet system.
Read Chris Disney's full review
Charlie Young | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 24, 2017

HotShot HotSchedules! Gold Standard.

As a general manager for a small business, HotSchedules provides me with critically important tools that allow me to maximize my labor cost potential across my entire business. Their industry leading technology allows my entire team to identify areas of opportunity through in depth analysis of each department. Not only has this allowed us to make drastic improvements to our bottom line but, the value of having these tools to help develop newer members of my team is simply invaluable.
  • The use of schedule templates and the schedule creator are so user-friendly that they have taken a complex task and made it all doable in a very short amount of time. After creating thoughtful templates and casting accurate sales projections the schedule writing process has saved my team countless hours of time to be more productive elsewhere.
  • Broadcast messaging is a wonderful way for my leadership team to get important messages out to the entire team at a moment's notice and can rest assured that everyone will receive it.
  • The labor pro forma by week day view is a highly effective way to view daily labor performance and stay proactive on meeting labor targets.
  • It would be nice if the schedule creator tab for labor budgeting contained projected sales that were manually adjusted and not just generated forecasts.
  • The ability to track when and who created or made adjustments to schedule templates would be huge!
HotSchedules is the perfect solution for any business looking to minimize the " analysis paralysis" and maximize labor efficiencies with powerful, easy to use tools and reporting that will get your leadership team out of the office and back into operations.
Read Charlie Young's full review
Emma Burns | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 19, 2017

Improving schedules one day at a time

It is used in a multiple departments as a way to efficiently schedule about 180 employees. It helps address the accessibility of the schedule to our employees and allows for quick response to covering shifts and broadcasting essential information to our employees. It has reduced the amount of time needed to complete schedules as well as in finding coverage for shifts.

The logbook is also a very important aspect of HotSchedules that we use on a daily basis to convey messages between Managers and record the days events.

• The release/swap function is really a well thought out idea that allows employees the freedom to adapt their schedule if necessary and managers the control to see what is going on with the shifts and where things can be improved.
  • The Logbook is one of the strongest attributes of HotSchedules because it allows all the information of day-to-day operations to be in one spot and can be accessed by all management.
  • The not allowing of shifts to be picked up if there are overlapping hours is very problematic and should be at the discretion of the manager to watch for these things, not the system.
  • The app should have the ability for managers to see and edit schedules. It would improve the versatility of the app and allow for better access outside of the office.
  • If a manager could add jobs, locations, and schedules to an employee while in the scheduler instead of moving out the scheduler and to the staff list to edit the availability it would make for a more flawless application of the scheduler and the jobs.

HotSchedules is well suited for a business that has more than 15 employees and wants to improve their staffing. It gives the employee ready access to their schedule on their phone instead of having to call in to work or find a printed schedule.

It would not be as well suited for a smaller business that sees the majority of its employees on a daily basis and can convey major topics with them in person.

Read Emma Burns's full review
Jose Lopez | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 15, 2017

Good but not enough....

We use HotSchedules to schedule FOH and BOH employees - the entire restaurant's work force.
  • Schedule posting and organization, obviously
  • Integrates with Micros so I can lock the schedule and avoid punching in early by employees
  • HotSchedules interface could stand to be more pliable. I run a twenty four hour business. My business day starts at 8am one day and ends at 8am the next day. It is virtually impossible to schedule overnight employees because the system recognizes the shift as the next day. Before the recent upgrade, it was much easier to schedule. When I inquired about going back to the old software, I was just told no. Now I'm looking for alternative programs
  • The budgeting tool is a mystery and is very rigid. It's based on a single type of schedule based on days of the week and business levels.
  • Any requests for training gets routed back to the online videos which neither provide any real training and there's no ability to ask questions in real time.
  • No up-to-the-minute information. You have to wait until the next day to see who is approaching overtime. I would love to get a text whenever an employee is approaching overtime, not based on a report.
  • No on-boarding software. No tip integration. No payroll intergration.
I would like real time reports based on the schedule and sales.
Read Jose Lopez's full review
Fabian Sauceda | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 14, 2017

HotSchedules is Knot approved!

We use the application to schedule all team members in our retail sites. [It] Gives everyone a platform to use on their devices to stay update with schedules and make any modifications when needed.
  • Shift swapping
  • Picking up house shifts
  • Able to access schedule from just about anywhere that has internet access
  • I don't work with the scheduling anymore so I have not used it since that last couple of updates. I now just manage accounts.
HotSchedules is great for the restaurants because there are so many moving pieces and generally there are very few that have "set" schedules. It is easy to adjust by using the forecasting tools. If a company had a large employee base but all schedules are basically set or the same HotSchedules would not be as useful a tool.
Read Fabian Sauceda's full review
Adam Keeshan | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 12, 2017

Great benefit to all organizations

[It’s being used in] Several departments throughout the hotel. It addresses scheduling, labor, time management with supervisors and reduction of need for communication.

• Scheduling
  • Time management
  • Labor management
  • Speed of back end functionality (scheduling wizard is slow).
  • Ability to mass delete and add employees instead of one by one.
  • Connect with time clock systems specific to our property.
Well suited for scheduling, time management, labor, ability to communicate efficiently and reducing the time needed for one on ones and printing.
Read Adam Keeshan's full review
Susan Harada | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 15, 2017

A great tool for restaurants

Our restaurant group uses HotSchedules for the scheduling of our staff. All front of house restaurant staff use it for their scheduling: to view schedules, to swap schedules, to make time-off requests, to change their availability, and to use the messaging features in order to reach out to management or other staff. It allows employees to manage a lot of their own schedules while management can still have the power to approve or reject requests.
  • Useful features all in one, such as allowing employees to adjust their availability, request off, or message other staff and/or managers. It makes it a useful tool for employees to use.
  • Easy to maneuver website and phone app, so that even our non tech-savvy employees are able to use it.
  • Easy for our managers to use and pull up daily schedules of front and back of house staff, allowing them to view today's staff at a glance.
  • Some features seem to be harder to find on the phone app than on the website. For our employees who use mainly one or the other, sometimes it can be hard for them to find certain functions.
HotSchedules is great for our front of house staff. However, we use it less for our kitchen staff. Many of them are not so familiar with technology, or do not have smart phones, and many of them use English as their second language. Because not all of them have regular internet access, we are unable to use it across the board with all of these staff and must therefore create physical copies of schedules with Excel. An easier view of weekly schedules that could be printed could be useful in integrating HotSchedules with all of the staff.
Read Susan Harada's full review
Brent Watkins | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 13, 2017

HotSchedules Helped our Business Get on Track

HotSchedules was implemented in our 2015 season and rolled over to our 2016 season. During our 2015 season, it was utilized by the majority of our large and high-volume restaurant. By 2016 our entire company was online and we began using more aspects of the program. This helps us to pull together a comprehensive list of who is scheduled to work and at what labor cost to us any given day is scheduled for. It is very helpful for us when making decisions to cut the labor cost in reaction to volume. It is also fantastic at communicating our scheduling needs to our employees. It is truly a Win/Win situation for everyone.
  • Keep everyone in the management team involved in the daily labor spend.
  • Connect all users in one system of communication.
  • Assist in the planning and creating of staffing pairs and scheduling based on volume.
  • Helps with accountability and tracking of written employee counseling events.
  • There are some confusing aspects of the POS/HotSchedules integration that could be improved.
  • The double verification aspect needed for on-boarding can be a deterrent for some employee users.
  • The reporting tab is great but takes some time to pull the individual reports. Response time could be improved.
It is well suited to take over where a non-digital method of scheduling is taking place. Interdepartmental transparency and communication is vastly improved with this system. Also, the management team feels very strongly that they now have a grasp on what we are spending on hourly labor at all times. Any business that is concerned about the minutia of where labor dollars are being spent will benefit from this system.
Read Brent Watkins's full review
Kim Ringo Bright | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 05, 2017

Badass scheduler!!

HotSchedules streamlined the scheduling process for us. Allowing employees to trade shifts online saved countless hours of time and frustration. I could manage the schedule no matter where I was. I highly recommend it.
  • Shift swaps.
  • Requests off.
  • Employee contact information at your fingertips.
  • It wasn't easy to learn how to maneuver within the system.
  • Needs to more user-friendly.
  • Deleting employees was tricky.
It's amazing to manage staff and their shift changing.
Read Kim Ringo Bright's full review
Elizabeth Button | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 03, 2017

Solid Scheduling Plus More

We use HotSchedules across our entire organization. It helps us with employee scheduling, ACA compliance, training and soon we'll be using it for inventory.
  • Keeping track of ACA employee compliance.
  • Allows managers to easily reach employees by using the mobile app.
  • Training videos, ongoing employee training.
  • Allowing admin to add a photo of the employee so we can easily identify all our staff in our organization. A name and a face is important!
  • Allow certification reminders to go to select individuals depending upon the certification.
  • ACA compliance, ability to adjust how the measure period is used. If an employee changes from part time to full time status (or vice versa) the measurement period shows hours worked as out of compliance.
  • I've been trying to organize the HotSchedules team to present to our independent restaurant association. HotSchedules has the potential to add many more users in our county but they've been negligent in following through after an initial conversation with our rep. It's been surprising to me that they're not interested in pursuing more restaurant users.
HotSchedules (HS) scheduling software is easy to use and accessible for our staff on their mobile phones or PC. Additionally, having Spanish-speaking service reps for our Spanish speaking employees is great! There is room for improvement, ACA compliance tracking could be improved to being able to adjust measurement periods when an employee switches status, full to part time or vice versa. It would be beneficial if our administrators of HS could upload photos of new hires into the new hire's profile instead of waiting to have our new hires do this (which they tend not to do). It's important when you have a large staff to be able to put a name to face as it creates a better company culture when you can call someone by their name. TRAIN is something we are just beginning to utilize and looks to be a good product for our new hires and ongoing training of staff.
Read Elizabeth Button's full review
Brenda Wray | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 26, 2017

Scheduling for a crazy profession

We are a full-service restaurant with anywhere from 20-30 employees. Hotschedules has changed our way of doing business!! All employees are required to be a part of HotSchedules. It has helped make employees accountable for their time and job.
  • As an owner I can know what's going on in my business anywhere in the world.
  • Able to change scheduling on a dime when numbers change.
  • Great for communicating with one person or the whole staff.
  • Great for labor prediction.
  • Scheduling screens are difficult to read.
Hotschedules is great for keeping logs of employee action and or behavior. So easy to document as things happen.
Read Brenda Wray's full review
Jay Pierce | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 17, 2017

Restaurant User's HotSchedules Review

I have found hotschedules to be a very useful tool in managing front and back of the house schedules in a restaurant. It is easy for staff to contact each other and swap shifts. It facilitates communication to the entire staff at once. It helps with managing time off and managing labor expenditures.
  • The mobile app is very affordable and easy to use.
  • The schedule writing feature is intuitive.
  • It would be nice if employees could see everyone else's schedule, or who is working with them on the shift.
  • It would be nice to be able to write the schedule from the mobile app.
With a smaller restaurant and a smaller staff, it is not necessary to invest in hotschedules. With 200 seats and approximately 50 employees, it really is well-suited to the size of our business.
Read Jay Pierce's full review
Jody Gardiner | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 15, 2017

HotSchedules changed the game for us

We use hotschedules for our delivery drivers, waiters, managers, cooks, and hosts. As soon as the schedule is done our employees receive a notification. It makes swapping shifts easier for them and members of management. It makes requests off much simpler. It also has other built-in features for managers like a built-in logbook and checklist. I think that hotschedules is an essential part of any successful business. The more employees you have the more useful it is.
  • Labor reporting
  • Communicating with staff
  • Simplifies the scheduling process
  • Some settings cannot be changed without contacting hotschedules
In an office setting where everyone works the same hours, hotschedules would be unnecessary. But in industries like restaurants, bars, and customer service, it is very useful and can save management time.
Read Jody Gardiner's full review

About HotSchedules

HotSchedules is a cloud-based scheduling, labor and communication management software solution serving the restaurant and hospitality industry.

According to the vendor, key benefits include:

Build & Communicate Schedules

The scheduling and labor management software reduces the time it takes managers to create and communicate schedules. All scheduling and employee information is stored in one central location, so managers have access to time-off requests, availability, skill level, and certification compliance.

Work Schedule App

The HotSchedules mobile app lets employees check their schedule, request time off, swap shifts, manage availability, and send messages. All shift requests require a manager's approval.

Forecasting and Reporting

When integrated with the POS, the tool pulls time and attendance, sales and guest data into the system. The forecasting engine shows past sales trends, which makes it possible to build schedules with the right amount of labor. There are also over 40 reports.

Multi-Unit Store View

The Above Store Console provides reporting and visibility across stores, anywhere and at any time. It can be configured by region, state, country.

Bilingual App & Support

The mobile app is available in English & Spanish. Employees can call into the AVS or Customer Support Center to get their schedule in English or Spanish - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

HotSchedules Features