Reviews (26-50 of 162)
- All the information needed for your employees can all be found in one place. From the availability of an employee to their pay rate to their phone number. It's all just a click away. Before HotSchedules all of this information was kept in different places and the managers would need to open several documents and contact lists to find what they were looking for about a single employee.
- Control over how indepth you use the product. The possibilities of this service are seemingly endless. However if you are solely looking for a specific feature HotSchedules offers you have the ability to soley use that feature. HotSchedules can simply schedule, or it can automatically schedule, or you can assign a specific job to a specific person on a specific day. For us, we have employees who are doing a specific job/task one week and then they are needed for a different job/task the next week. HotSchedules allowed us to narrow down our options starting with department, moving to location, moving down to the job they would be preforming for that scheduled day.
- The ease of changing/releasing shifts. If an employee wants more hours they can go in and select shifts that are up for grabs or request to work on a specific day at a specific time. The opposite is also true. If an employee is worried they will have too many hours that week, they can release their shift and put it up for grabs by a different employee. And of course, all of this is fairly customizable to what you want your employees to have the ability to do, with or without your intervention and approval. In our case, if a shift lead releases a shift we only want other shift leads to be able to pick up the shift. HotSchedules allows us to do just that.
- Clocking In and out can be a little slow. It takes longer to clock in then our previous method. Before we just had a card you swiped and it would clock you in. Took 2 seconds. Now with the Hotschdules method we use it take 30 seconds or so. Not a huge issue but it can add up if you have one computer and a line of employees waiting to clock in.
- Time Cards. It does not allow you to view someones current time until the "punch" has ended. If the manager would like to check what time the employee clocked in/out from lunch they have to wait until the employee has clocked out for the day before the record is generated. As a shift lead you may send and employee to lunch but forget to note what time you sent them. Awhile passes and you feel like they should be back by now, so you want to go in and see what time they left for lunch but it does not show you that punch record because the employee is still "clocked in" they are just on their "Meal Break"
- The ability to customize the restrictions for Clocking in and out. You can set it up so that employees can only clock in from a specific location, however if you have a manager who is allowed to work from home they would not be able to clock in without being at the same location as set in the software. It would be nice to see it able to be customized per user.
- It helps with schedule shift trades and publishes the entire schedule for each day so folks can tell who is on shift and when. It enables a staff of mostly teenagers to be able to contact me and help them with any issue regarding scheduling and HR issues they needed to approach me with from time to time.
- It enables the manager to force the employee to be responsible for their attendance.
- Saves time in dealing with shift exchanges and various requests dealing with time off and so on.
- It is extremely difficult to use for my weekly set up. because our shift times differed from the other two resorts that used it, the time slots for when shifts started were different due to different operating hours. Because I had to put in different availability times I had to drag and drop each employee (73 of them) on to the shifts. Because they were not seen as available the program would not show them in the drop down to easily select them as being available for the highlighted shift box
- If I was able to set up my own shift start times for a.m. and p.m and those parameters for myself versus having to have our rep be contacted to see if the change was possible. On our end, the call never was made and I had to spend a lot of time dragging and dropping each week. I did re-use schedules but with so many folks needing different days each week it ended up being less of a shift change and hey you forgot ..... fight that I dragged and dropped each week.
- I think simplifying the system for availibilties and letting the user set them up themselves (like campground master reservation system) would have been great. the time I spent each week would have come from the initial set up phase and would have saved time down the road.
- Easy to read schedule any time you need it
- Can change availability for schedule writer whenever I want
- Ability to swap shifts or pick up days with other team members
- We do not use the clock in function
- Sends a lot of notifications
- No way to limit how much team members can swap around
- The template system for shifts that occur every day at our location and that I can drag and drop them to ensure that I am meeting our company’s staffing guidelines are a huge plus for me.
- The ability for employees to handle shift change on their own with my approval so I am kept in the loop but not having to constantly log on every time an associate calls me with an unexpected need to change their schedule is a nice feature.
- The mobile application is ten times greater than the previous program we were using to generate a schedule. It is very interactive and allows me to do almost everything from the convenience of my smartphone or tablet.
- My biggest complaints are just bug fixes that were supposed to be pros of the product. Right now there is a bug that has gone on since we rolled out the product at our company that does not allow us to share employees between locations for employees needing to cover a shift or transfer to another location for an extended period of time.
- I would really like to see them add the actual schedule creation into the mobile application or at least be able to create the schedule on a mobile browser to eliminate the need to use my home computer. If I could generate a schedule from my phone or tablet, I would be able to make any necessary changes on the fly and it would not necessarily interrupt my time off or when I am not at the location.
- Copy & Paste shifts save time and help to eliminate errors when scheduling.
- The ability to determine and calculate labor hours per employee and department
- Easy user interface
- I wish there was an ability to "clock-in" employees separately, As in when they arrive outside of their scheduled time. Currently, you either have to get the employee to clock-in, followed by a manager approval, or you must wait until their shift is over to adjust.
- No ability to adjust clock-ins, while an employee is still on the clock. An employee starts a shift, manager is delayed in getting them clocked in when they arrive, requiring later adjustment.
- Does not show reasons for managers allowing employees to clock in, when a shift isn't scheduled. I'd like to know why.
- Group communication
- Certification tracking
- Employee accountability
- Schedule layouts can be difficult to read
- Slow response when editing schedule blocks
- Messaging center could be more elegantly designed and user-friendly
- The app works well for employees
- It is easy to copy and use schedules
- Hot Schedules is too complicated for a 1-3 shop environment
- It defaults to not having an ending time on a shift....who does that??
- It is not easy enough to delete some of the layers---i.e. we have a manager who is scheduled on the floor and we want others to be able to see her hours and when she is working, so we can't use multiple schedules or else the supervisors would not be able to see her
- In my "day" job, we operate over 50 franchise restaurants and I always wanted to use Hot Schedules which is why I tried it for this consulting gig I have.....unfortunately, it seems they have not stayed up with the technology currently being offered in this category
- Easy end user interface, our employees can very quickly access their schedules and hours through the mobile platform.
- Easy to read schedules, there is no trouble identifying when someone is scheduled to be at work.
- Management of timekeeping records is clean when the system is used directly for clock in/out.
- Not user friendly with POS systems, we recently experienced a major issue with our payroll run because the system was not able to identifying two separate rates of pay in the middle of a pay period.
- Schedule rotation functionality does not always work consistently. It would be great if inconsistencies in the schedule were identified by the system, at present we have to identify issues manually.
- Reporting options will only allow us to look back and pull reports for 30 day increments. This is not helpful when we are responding to legal suits which require all payroll/schedule data for an employees tenure with the company.
The system is not well suited for companies that need easy access to scheduling data in a user friendly way or for companies that have heavy union presence as the system does not always catch inconsistencies with scheduling.
- Ability for field employees to clock in and out on their phones
- Easy management of staff and timecards by managers
- Easily altered options for various levels of staff
- Robust reporting options
- Reliance on internet connections can sometimes be an issue with HotSchedules, given our rural location, this is an issue with all SAAS suites however.
- We have only one account for our many departments, which means we occasionally run into issues using some features, as each department operates differently but our options in HotSchedules must be the same.
- A minor pet peeve, but I would love it if, when I was altering employee's punch in/out times, that the date/time would not reset until I hit the "submit" button. Sometimes a man just wants to make changes in his own order.
- Support for a card-based timecard solution.
- Ability to host a local instance on our own servers
- Mostly reliable, sometimes the server stops responding when trying to access the site but not very often
- Decent interface for both managers and employees
- App is a great feature
- Time clock lags
- Spanish speaking employees struggle with the new time clock since the prompts are solely in English.
- Scheduler is difficult to use. Can only see 1-2 lines of employees while inserting house shifts. Can only see 1-2 lines of house shifts and it’s difficult to scroll through while scheduling
- Employee availability is no longer easy to use since the update. The drag and drop availability toggle when adding new availability has caused several issues. Employees shouldn’t be able to submit their own availabilities—it makes it a management nightmare when a ridiculous availability comes through for approval and you deny it the employee doesn’t understand there are minimum availability requirements for our company. I don’t like this feature what so ever. Availabilities should ONLY be adjusted by managers. Another issue is that employees make themselves available for 2 hour increments, our company doesn’t have shifts that are as short as 2 hours so this complicates their availability when I’m viewing it on the scheuduler. Worst feature you have added
- Builds templates well.
- Easy drag and drop scheduling.
- Allows online viewing and shift change management by team members.
- Many labor strategy reports to help dial in schedule template efficiency.
- Good integration with POS and time management systems.
- Report printing can become an issue.
- Building budgets can be hard and needs much tutoring to utilize for maximum efficiency.
- Easy to use, love the dashboard
- User-friendly when making requests swaps or time off
- Great tech support
- Notes for specific employees on specific days
- Turning off certain notifications
- It seems to take a while to load
- Graphically intuitive
- Updating through different forms of communication
- Covers a wide array of aspects, not just scheduling
- Editing punches through a shift
- Sometimes there are glitches when I am dragging shifts to a staff member.
- Cannot access multiple windows very well, if I want to double check someone's message or availability while making the schedule I have to exit the scheduling tab to access the availability.
- The app is very user friendly.
- Once you create your schedule templates, scheduling becomes increasingly easier.
- The chat feature is very valuable.
- We have 30+ locations. We sometimes “borrow” associates from location to location to cover shifts. As of now the borrowed associates do not always show up on the schedule. This has caused associates to miss shifts.
- We do not utilize it yet, but not being able to clock in unless you are on the schedule seems like an issue waiting to happen.
- Easy to use.
- Your schedule is laid out plain to see what day you work.
- You can check your roster to see what other employees you will work with.
- You can navigate backwards to an extent to review who has worked previous shifts.
- You can send messages through the app in case you don't have a coworker's number.
- Sharing employees.
- Making a schedule on the phone / tablet.
- Scheduling, allows a manager to see when they forget to schedule a specific shift that is needed for a day.
- Punctuality, it easily allows companies to watch when employees are on break, punch in and leaving.
- Allows me to see who else is working each day, on the mobile app.
- Scheduling, it is incredibly hard to add a different shift or change the time of a specific shift if we wanted.
- A late employee cannot clock in without supervisor assistance, in our size company that is not necessary.
- It is a great scheduling platform. As its main focus, it is easy to use for management and our staff.
- It makes managing requests for our staff very easy and efficient. For managers, it is simple to manage these requests.
- Its reporting features are great. It's always nice to be able to quickly pull a report outlining just the information you are looking for.
- The Time Clock feature could definitely use some help. We have to manually review each person's hours to make sure they didn't miss a punch. If we don't do this, it will manually clock them out at 4 am, in effect paying them for a very long day that they didn't work.
- You should be able to copy and paste shifts when scheduling non-house shifts. Let's say I am scheduling for a special event and I need 10 servers in at 5 pm to serve, I have to manually enter all of those instead of being able to just schedule one and copy and paste it to everyone else.
- When messaging, you should be able to respond to messages directly from your email like you can on Shift Note.
Is HotSchedules pricey? Yes and no. A product is only as good as the person that chooses to use all of the features, we value the store logs MORE than just using the scheduler. Add in that we occasionally use the budgetary segment, we believe we get more value out of HotSchedules.
Overall, I would highly recommend HotSchedules for any company - small, medium, and large!
- Store Logs - the ability to record daily events. It provides the review for the monthly results, or even a staff members training progress.
- Scheduler - divide your staff into various departments so your managers can focus on meeting guest needs in smaller groups. Also a great communication tool as it sends out the schedules in a way convenient to the staff member.
- Reports - we only use 5 of 30+ reports, but those provide us material for managers to keep the business on track throughout the day.
- Configuration is key - there can be bumps after bringing a new business into HotSchedules so the terminology has to be different for each one.
- Scheduler - on the old one, there use to be a key that explained the hot keys, now its missing. Probably under Support, but it used to be on the scheduler screen.
It probably would not be as beneficial in an office setting, unless it was strictly used for the scheduler feature. Also, if the operation is small in size (under 15 employees), I believe the price may prevent some from trying the product.
I have also used the task assignments to keep managers focused on the next big thing on their plate, and as they work on it, HotSchedules provides me feedback on their progress.
Bulletin board feature has been used to help intro new products, communicate future events to the staff all at one time, or to thank/encourage the staff.
HotSchedules helped us to eliminate the breakdown in communication we were having with staff swapping shifts, shifts that became available, and changes to schedules. Having the ability to manage those changes in real-time and have everyone be accountable has made a huge difference for how we manage our labour and guest experience.
- The ability to approve shift swaps helps us to manage labour, improve staff morale, and maintain strong communication.
- The ease of creating the schedule with hot-keys and being able to duplicate schedules is a huge time saver and makes creating the schedule less of a burden.
- The mobile app is very user-friendly both from an employee and employer perspective. As an employee, it's very easy to trade shifts, view your schedule and message staff members. As the employer it is easy to approve shift changes, view the logbook, toggle between restaurants, view the day's roster, and many other useful features.
- It would be great if there was the option to "select all" in messages rather than having to individually select messages to delete.
- Dissemination of schedule to all individuals on staff using HotSchedules.
- Allows staff to have flexibility in their schedule while ensuring that shifts are covered.
- As changes/approvals are made the system updates, allowing for everyone to look at the schedule as it is in its current form.
- As far as my experience with the system goes, it does not have a backlog of who does approvals. This would be helpful as, with a management team that also has approval authority, it would allow you to see who is authorizing changes to the schedule.
- Having the ability to send attachments through the email system would help greatly in being able to spread much needed information to the staff (new menus, upcoming event information, picture attachments, etc.).
- Being able to set [parameters] for things like the maximum number of approvals reached would be helpful and give employees an immediate feedback letting them know that max number of staff has been reached that can request off for a particular day. It would help both ways by stopping someone with approval authority from accidentally approving too many request offs.
- Managing shift switch requests
- Managing time off requests
- Sometimes I feel the interface is a little clunky. It would be easier if I could make changes to employees with fewer steps.
- Easier to use on an Ipad.
- Customer service in regards to trouble shooting technical issues.
- Customer service for answering any questions employees or managers may have.
- Training on the use & functions of HotSchedules.
- Sometimes the HotSchedules system goes down for no apparent reason.
- The updated scheduler interface is sometimes confusing.
- The updated employee requested time off interface is more confusing and difficult to understand now than it used to be.
- HotSchedules helps to manage labor costs. We are able to enter labor forecasts, special events, weather, etc. and compare anywhere from last week or last year to the current week. This simple feature is huge when it comes to managing profits and labor costs.
- HotSchedules prevents scheduling errors. Employees can block out when they are not available as well as show when they are available and that makes scheduling much easier. Schedule requests are documented as to the date when submitted and managers can prevent last minute requests by setting due dates for all scheduling requests.
- Communication: Everyone's phone numbers and emails are in the program which helps us contact each other with the simple press of a button. If we are ever short staffed or need to call someone in, we can send a message to the masses or quickly text/call someone. Gone are the days of having to go look up staff phone numbers in a file or office computer when you are slammed with a lunch or dinner.
- Documentation: the log-book feature is such an important tool for the restaurant. We are able to document everything such as employee or guest incidents, repair and maintenance issues, staff announcements and more. Having everything recorded is vital for efficient restaurant management.
- The only thing I wish that could change is being able to log into multiple accounts from one user name. Where I work, I am a catering manager and we have 3 restaurants. If I need staffing, I have to log in separately to each restaurant. I hate having 3 log-ins.
- I would love to have color coding on shift rosters for am and pm shifts to make them easier to read.
HotSchedules Scorecard Summary
HotSchedules is a cloud-based scheduling, labor and communication management software solution serving the restaurant and hospitality industry.
According to the vendor, key benefits include:
Build & Communicate Schedules
The scheduling and labor management software reduces the time it takes managers to create and communicate schedules. All scheduling and employee information is stored in one central location, so managers have access to time-off requests, availability, skill level, and certification compliance.Work Schedule App
The HotSchedules mobile app lets employees check their schedule, request time off, swap shifts, manage availability, and send messages. All shift requests require a manager's approval.Forecasting and Reporting
When integrated with the POS, the tool pulls time and attendance, sales and guest data into the system. The forecasting engine shows past sales trends, which makes it possible to build schedules with the right amount of labor. There are also over 40 reports.Multi-Unit Store View
The Above Store Console provides reporting and visibility across stores, anywhere and at any time. It can be configured by region, state, country.Bilingual App & Support
The mobile app is available in English & Spanish. Employees can call into the AVS or Customer Support Center to get their schedule in English or Spanish - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
HotSchedules Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
|Bilingual: English & Spanish|
HotSchedules Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Apple iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Mobile Web|
|Supported Languages:||English, Spanish|