HotSchedules Reviews

Chris Acosta | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 03, 2017

It's Great

Hotschedules is used to make all the schedules in our restaurant. It makes it very easy to control labor. Also makes it very easy to make sure all employees have their schedule.
  • Communication with Staff
  • Control Labor
  • Easy access for employees to get their schedules
  • I wish the AM shift was separate from the PM shift per employee.
  • It should show you what time the employee requested off. This way if you have 2 employees who requested off the same day and you can only give one of them off, then it makes it easier for you to decide who gets the day off.
It works great for me. I have no complaints.
Read Chris Acosta's full review
Oliver Yi | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 03, 2017

Few years of HotSchedules, an honest opinion.

We use it for scheduling labor and to provide labor cost analysis as well as sales projecting/forecasting. Obviously, it helps the restaurant manage schedules - good tool for helping us identify those who did not take breaks with the SSC report. We print out rosters daily to help us plan and assign staff accordingly.
  • Scheduling, although I am not a fan of the update. Different and took some getting used to.
  • Good for managing labor as in identifying costs and helping report hours worked - projected vs. actual.
  • If team buys the app it's a great tool for communicating with staff - in-app messaging and broadcast messages.
  • The cost of the app - should be free with limited functions as many of our staff do not wish to buy an app.
  • Scheduler - new update with the auto posting changes is a bit annoying. Liked having a draft in place and revisiting several times before final post.
  • The recruiting part - should be open to people outside of hotschedules.
Great for scheduling, we used to use Excel sheets with God knows how many formulas embedded into it, giving us different labor percentages and costs and tons of other data that were dependent on certain data inputs. With Hotschedules linked to a pos system, it does all the work for you.
Read Oliver Yi's full review
Tom Fremarek | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 01, 2017

Hot Hot HotSchedules

HotSchedules is used to staff the entire stadium by area, stand and job position.
  • As a stadium it gives us instant connection and ability to adjust staffing on good or bad weather days.
  • We also have the payroll portion of hotschedules which allows us to control early clock-ins in a very large facility plus it made payroll a 3 click process.
  • Scheduling can be done as if you were scheduling 10 different locations. Which in a stadium we are. It's easy.
  • Communication between staff and overall year round has helped with annual retention rates. I have a 90 % return season to season for staffing.
  • Ability to add photos and attach videos to messaging would be great. I send out a refresher on register use on every season prior to our customer service training schedule.
  • Combine with a partner and combine liquor and food training that automatically adds that to the employee's profile when completed. And notify the employer when it is due.
  • Preferred old scheduling of cut and paste into scheduling and not having to hit a letter to paste a shift into place.
I have used it in a full-service restaurant and now at a baseball stadium. Two very different locations. It is perfect for all locations.
Read Tom Fremarek's full review
James Coli | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 27, 2017

HotSchedules, our best tool!!!

We use most of what it has to offer. GoHire for onboarding, interviewing, recruiting, etc., and we also use it for all scheduling and labor management. We also use the messaging feature quite a bit. All of our employees are reimbursed for the cost of the app as well so we know they use it. Main problem it addresses is making sure the building is staffed properly. We use the forecasting and projections a lot which really helps us manage our labor.
  • I really like the forecasting, we only started using this a few months ago but I already see the difference.
  • Also like how easy it is to communicate with your staff through the messaging app.
  • I also like how easy a manager can manage shift changes and see staffing levels at any time anywhere.
  • The templates are a great help as well.
  • The assessments on gohire could be a bit more efficient, they take a long time.
  • Would like to have the onboarding be a little easier.
  • The lack of training received when signing up, constant follow up with new products.
For our business, it's perfect for what it does. Restaurants and hotels should love this I can't think of many other industries that would use it as much, maybe some bigger retail places or sports venues would like it.
Read James Coli's full review
Chip Stroup | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 24, 2017

HotSchedules Review

[It's] used across the whole organization by our ops teams for all scheduling and online hiring purposes.
  • User-friendly - easy to use, great copy and paste features, short cuts to other functions while using scheduling functions.
  • Web-based - mobile integration, shift swap/change approvals done electronically, can access the program anywhere.
  • Labor and sales reporting, labor budgeting/forecasting.
  • Program seems to have issues that prohibit access more often than I'd like.
  • No emergency back up plan when rosters aren't available.
  • Doesn't export the email addresses from Aloha into HotSchedules for new hires.
Sorry, but as far as scheduling for restaurants, it is a must have tool. You can have a daily manager log, labor budgeting tool, and web-based scheduling all in one. Not to even mention your GoHire Platform which we use for online hiring processes.
Read Chip Stroup's full review
Kelsey Cox Curran | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 16, 2017

HotSchedules Review

We use HotSchedules to coordinate scheduling for our roughly 40 employees. It allows us to schedule far in advance which allows our staff to manage their schedule constraints (vacation, appointments, etc.) far in advance as well.
  • It gives us convenient visibility into how many hours each employee is scheduled to work each week. This allows us to avoid overtime when employees are swapping shifts.
  • It allows employees to swap shifts without input needed from a manager. Managers are still required to approve changes.
  • It allows everyone to see their schedule on their phones in real time instead of referencing a paper schedule in a particular location.
  • Every now and again it seems like a shift I posted goes missing. It's very possible this is user error but I'm very diligent when I'm scheduling and it surprises me when this happens.
  • I wish I could send a mass text to all people with a particular job. For example, I book a party and I want to let all our servers know there is a party available for them to pick up.
  • I used to not like the functionality of the old scheduler (it was tedious and cumbersome to use...still better than a paper solution) but the new scheduler is awesome.
HotSchedules is great for restaurants of our size. I could see it being great for multi-location restaurants with lots of employees. I could see it being overkill for smaller restaurants.
Read Kelsey Cox Curran's full review
Jason Landtroop | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 14, 2017

HotSchedules Rocks!

[It's] used across our whole organization for onboarding, scheduling, training, and communication.
  • Scheduling/managing shift trades and requests
  • Digital Logbook
  • Online training
  • Better integration with digital onboarding and POS system
Fantastic for restaurant management and staff, scheduling is much more efficient for everyone.
Read Jason Landtroop's full review
Courtney Andrus | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 14, 2017

HotSchedules helps!

Our company uses HotSchedules for staff training, scheduling and manager notes. Hotschedules is used across the whole organization and helps with keeping schedules accessible to all employees from anywhere. Manager logs help with communication between management and ownership with regards to daily events, sales, and operations.
  • Scheduling
  • Mobile Application
  • Manager log
  • We could use one log-in for each person with choice of multiple locations' schedules.
HotSchedules is well suited for both small and large organizations.
Read Courtney Andrus's full review
Daniella Paez | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 13, 2017

Prepared Meals Retailer Review

Hotschedules is being used throughout our retail store locations (13). It allows us to not only release/post a schedule for our team members but more so, for management to be able to better manage labor hours. Most team members also use the app to more easily view their schedules/make swaps etc.
  • Ease in creating a schedule, being able to copy a schedule and modify
  • Ability to see labor hours broken by down by day
  • Ability to use forecast
  • Notifications once a schedule is posted or changes are made
  • Ease of creating a team member and amount of information that can be captured
  • Webinars
  • Would like help in using forecasting tool
  • Need to learn more about labor analysis
  • Would like to utilize the reporting feature more
Hotschedules is great for any retail/restaurant setting for team members to easily update availability, make trades or swaps with other team members, and see their schedules. The text/messaging feature is pretty great too for upper management who may not have their information but need to communicate. It would be nice if there was a group messaging feature or way to send a mass communication.
Read Daniella Paez's full review
Maggie Stith | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 13, 2017

Love the labor saving

We use HotSchedules for all locations and across all departments. We love all the features and use the logbook daily. Setting forecasts and labor budgets help us see where our problem areas are, and the reports make it easy to manage the roster. We like how it stores valuable information, like time off requests, availability, contact information, sales (with integrated version), and much more.
  • Digital logbook - allows for all management to be aware of the happening of each shift, and can be used in court if needed.
  • Scheduling templates - they make it easy to create and use different templates depending on the season and forecasted sales.
  • Integration with REVEL.
  • Account managing - ever since we lost Nathan Dale as our account manager, I have no idea who is responsible for answering my questions, and have to contact the regular customer care every time I have a question.
[It's well suited] if you have a small staff with set schedules.
Read Maggie Stith's full review
Alison Domino | TrustRadius Reviewer

Hotschedules Review

We use hotschedules for weekly staff scheduling in our retail stores as well as our culinary center.
  • Ability to see scheduled hours by team member as well as by day/week
  • Ability to schedule a team member to work in a specific location
  • Mobile app makes it very easy to review schedules
  • If using the schedule to block off time during a shift, the hours are counted twice. For example, if I schedule someone to work 11a-7p and want to block off 12p-1p for a meeting, it would count as 9 hours.
  • Team member pay rates are visible to all users. Inability to track/forecast pay.
Hotschedules is great for companies with basic scheduling needs. For restaurants who need to schedule FOH/BOH or specific areas of the restaurant, it is super easy. For more advanced scheduling, with tracking the number of people on the clock at specific hours, this may be more challenging.
Read Alison Domino's full review
Jason Tognarina | TrustRadius Reviewer

HotSchedules Review

We currently operate a single restaurant in Davidson, North Carolina. HotSchedules is used to schedule all employees from dishwasher to managers in our operation. HotSchedules has provided a platform that is fluid and ever changing, our staff has changing and developing needs in terms of daily availability. Hotschedules allows us to make on the fly changes to daily rosters. We have done away with the antiquated paper and Excel based schedules of the past.
  • Costing of schedules is immediate, imported pay rates from POS system allows real time schedule costing for budgeting purposes.
  • HotSchedules is fast to publish schedules to staff via personal cell phones and email platforms. As soon as we publish the schedules they are live.
  • Hotschedules allows an efficient method to swap, drop, and trade shifts for staff. Also gives managers the ability to approve or decline based on pre-set criteria.
  • Generating reports is clunky. Roster reports should be part of the daily plate or dashboard.
  • New views while writing schedules are not as ideal and are harder to navigate.
Hotschedules (HS) as a stand-alone scheduling platform is fantastic, but I anticipate it losing ground to more robust accounting platforms that encompass a scheduling module. Think HS will need to increase its available services to continue to compete in the ultra competitive market. We are continually bombarded with alternatives that have robust multifaceted modules for managing our businesses. We are considering Restaurant 365 because of its accounting platform, it packages a labor and scheduling module as well for no additional cost.
Read Jason Tognarina's full review
Kim Cargill | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 03, 2017

Ease of communicating with staff and effective scheduling!! Must Have!

We use HotSchedules to communicate with our staff, make schedules, coordinate shift changes and time-off. All four of our locations currently use HotSchedules! Allowing qualified staff to be scheduled faster, setting appropriate staffing levels based on expected business is much easier and faster. Making an effective, and efficient schedule is easy.
  • Communicating with staff, quickly and clearly
  • Communicating with staff in advance about upcoming specials and sales points is super easy
  • The "paper trail" that HS provides is extremely helpfull in all aspects of scheduling and time off.
  • I love that HS is ever evolving. The software developers are constantly taking our feed back and making effective changes that work intuitively with our scheduling.
  • I would like to have the schedules separate. If one user is in the schedular tab at the same time as another user, one cannot move out of the schedule without "posting" said schedule. It causes some kind of glitch and the scheduler doesn't work properly. Only one user needs to be able to make changes to a schedule at a time.
  • HS has gotten better at letting users know the intended purpose or best practice for an intended task, such as the request /time off functions. This information wasn't always conveyed previously, therefore limitations were exposed that could have been avoided.
HotSchedules is well suited for time off requests, and with the new availability module, submitting availabilities and applying them for a certain date is wonderful! That was one draw back previously, that has now been resolved.
Read Kim Cargill's full review
Austin Gatto | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 03, 2017

Killing the scheduling game!

Hotschedules is currently used by our restaurant group for scheduling all staff. We use the logbook notes for communication between management from shift to shift. We use staff journal notes for individual employee logs of development and progressive discipline. We also use it for notification of employee reviews, staff messaging, shift swapping, labor cards and shift pre-shift notes.
  • Efficient scheduling
  • Efficient logging of employee progress
  • Efficient communication between management
  • The new scheduling update is a little more difficult than the previous
  • Forecasting could be more user-friendly
Well suited for scheduling.
Read Austin Gatto's full review
Dixon Hollis | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 03, 2017

Take the heat off scheduling, strategizing and communication with HotSchedules

It is being used by a department, though I tout its virtues often. We really like it for its accessibility by all layers of our department. Additionally, it can be used for blast emails, which is hugely useful when emergencies in scheduling arise or sudden changes need to be made. I have quite a few employees who get four weeks of vacation a year, many of them in the same restaurant and hotschedules makes it easy to determine what times are available for them.
  • The requesting off option: it makes it easy to keep track of who is already approved and what slots are avaible. The new calendar option has improved this even more.
  • The customer service this company offers is one of my favorite things. Everyone is always super nice, very helpful and quick to find someone to answer your questions if they cannot. They are fast, efficient and patient. Very good at coaching and walkthroughs with new products.
  • The website and the app are easy to navigate.
  • I love the new interface of the scheduling portion. You can cut and paste, you can do numerous schedules from just one page if you wish and it is easy to do multiple shifts for one person at one time. Love it.
  • This is a small glitch but irritating: when a person is requesting time off, it only has two options: a) unpaid time off and b) request to work. This mixes my employees up who are trying to request paid time off. I don't know why they need to pick anything at all since they can put the "why" in their comments section.
I manage 3 restaurants, room service and a bevy of managers. All of the schedules have employees that work in more than one place and sometimes in a variety of jobs. Hotschedules allows me to see everything at once and warns me if I am trying to overschedule someone. During December, we are crazy busy and have special musical functions that pushes everything over the top. I can only manage this sucessfully and without too much pain because of this feature.
Read Dixon Hollis's full review
Melissa Reno | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 01, 2017

HotSchedules: Restaurant Scheduling Made Easy

We use HotSchedules for all of our FOH scheduling. We also use it as our main method of communication between management and employees. It is the best scheduling software out there.
  • Maintenance of schedules regarding shift trades and switches with mandatory management approval.
  • Messages feature is the best and most convenient method of communication between managers and employees.
  • Templates make scheduling quick and easy week to week. No starting from scratch every time.
  • Shift trades, picking up shifts, easy communication from management to employees and easy template set up for easy scheduling each week.
  • Being able to block days by schedule, not a blanket block on everyone.
  • Client ability to change names of schedules and jobs, not set by HotSchedules.
  • Do not allow someone to even attempt to pick up shift if there is time conflict. (If someone is scheduled 12pm to 8pm they should not be able to try to pick up a shift that is 4pm to 11pm.)
HotSchedules is almost perfectly suited for restaurants.
Read Melissa Reno's full review
Meghan Dager | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 31, 2017

HotSchedules... taking the pain out of scheduling.

Currently, we are using hotschedules to coordinate the schedule for our F&B staff in the clubhouse. There are over 50 employees on the system and it has been invaluable to our organization. It has made schedule updates, communication and the scheduling process easier and more effective.
  • Ease of scheduling multiple areas.
  • Easy access to employee numbers and schedules.
  • I like to see the roster on my phone.
  • Unavailable days should be "grayed out" or blocked somehow. The wording inside the square is too dim and easy to override.
  • Too many steps to preview the schedule.
  • You have to re-log in too often.
  • Templates should be easier to set up.
  • It doesn't sync with our current POS (Clubsoft) so we miss out on a lot (!) of important features.
  • Entering sales is TOO cumbersome.
I think it works great for a lot of employees, but if you only had a few, it would be too expensive.
Read Meghan Dager's full review
Cassidy Mora | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 31, 2017

Strongly recommend HotSchedules

I love HotSchedules. It allows for schedules to be accessed from anywhere and makes shift changes, messaging, and contacting employees easy and all in one place. I've used it for over 6 years now and it's never let me down.
  • Shift changes
  • Broadcast messaging
  • Paperless hiring
  • Blocked requests
  • Being able to make changes to the schedule from the app would be nice
I like it for event driven venues where there are constantly shifts needing to be added or taken away.
Read Cassidy Mora's full review
Tiffany Southard | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 22, 2017

We love the ease of HotSchedules

We use HotSchedules for all our company schedules. We love the ease of scheduling and approval of shifts. Requests off are easier with the program as well.
  • Immediate manager approval of shifts.
  • Request days off.
  • Ease of scheduling.
  • Time management.
  • Ease of moving shifts from one to another.
  • We use a "call" shift. Ease of swapping with this call shift.
We love Hotschedules!! Its professionalism and ease. The app should be available at a lower price.
Read Tiffany Southard's full review
Claudio Cravero | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 12, 2017

Must-use scheduling program

It has been used by all 4 Chow locations for scheduling purposes and keeping track of Manager certifications.
  • Keep track of Manager and employees certifications.
  • Scheduling program.
  • Labor control.
  • Do not upgrade very often. It takes times for managers to get used to new systems.
HotSchedules works for us on the areas that we use it: Scheduling, Labor reports, Labor control, Certifications.
Read Claudio Cravero's full review
Timothy Boyce | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 25, 2017

Must Try!!!

We currently use HotSchedules as our scheduling managing system. I manage a team of about 40 employees. As each employee has their own login details it gives them access to their account online. We also use HotSchedules inventory and training systems.
  • Detailed Reports
  • Great Tech Support
  • Syncing data from our POS System
Overall a great program to use.
Read Timothy Boyce's full review
Marianne Goodfellow | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 31, 2017

HotSchedules Review

We currently use HotSchedules for all of our scheduling needs. It is being used across the whole organization. We also utilize HotSchedules for manager communications via the log book application, sales to labor analysis with proforma, and labor evaluation in the reporting application. It address the business problem of scheduling many employees in various departments. With HotSchedules we can get this accomplished all in one program.
  • Provides employees with a way to request time off and trade or swap shifts.
  • Creates schedules for many various departments in one program.
  • Is very user friendly and also gives you the option to personalize in many areas.
  • I would like to see larger screen for schedules.
It is very well suited for scheduling and also for employee communication management via the logbook tab and other via messaging tab.
Read Marianne Goodfellow's full review
Daniel Barat | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 28, 2017

HotSchedules Review

We use HotSchedules for all of our front of the house scheduling.
  • Scheduling - although I hate a lot of the functionality of the new software.
  • Shift changes- request time off
  • Messaging
  • Forecasting schedule cost outs
  • The POS integration was an absolute mess when we tried it.
  • The scheduler lags. There is no good way to schedule on calls. The template generator needs some work too.
  • You can't copy and paste on the scheduler.
It's great software and helps us a lot. I actually believe it's the best in the business right now, but the new scheduler needs some work. It should not have been rolled out and forced on every store.
Read Daniel Barat's full review
David Drake | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 27, 2017

HotSchedules is the perfect online scheduling system for for a multifunctional business.

Hotschedules handles all of our scheduling changes and needs. Everything and all times and changes are done through HotSchedules.
  • Shift changes
  • Shift approvals
  • Organization of reports
  • Ability to see multiple people while scheduling
Restaurants and hourly employee driven business
Read David Drake's full review
Masaru Torito | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 10, 2017

HotSchedules makes sure everything is running cool.

It is being used across our whole organization. It does help address budgeting concerns, but it mostly helps with making sure that all our employees can see their schedules and communicate with each other about any scheduling challenges.
  • It allows everyone to see their schedule on their phones as soon as it's posted.
  • I can easily review staffing for all positions at both stores easily from my phone.
  • Servers can easily communicate with each other about getting shifts swapped.
  • The app, it would be great if it was free. Our staff often live paycheck to paycheck and getting them all to use the app is a challenge.
  • Issues with the server going down. The system needs to be more stable.
  • Better screen optimization on a computer. It's hard to make the schedule unless you are working on a desktop with any screen smaller than 20 inches.
It depends on the size of the restaurant. Hands on operators of one store will not see the same benefits of less involved or operators of multiple sites.
Read Masaru Torito's full review

About HotSchedules

HotSchedules is a cloud-based scheduling, labor and communication management software solution serving the restaurant and hospitality industry.

According to the vendor, key benefits include:

Build & Communicate Schedules

The scheduling and labor management software reduces the time it takes managers to create and communicate schedules. All scheduling and employee information is stored in one central location, so managers have access to time-off requests, availability, skill level, and certification compliance.

Work Schedule App

The HotSchedules mobile app lets employees check their schedule, request time off, swap shifts, manage availability, and send messages. All shift requests require a manager's approval.

Forecasting and Reporting

When integrated with the POS, the tool pulls time and attendance, sales and guest data into the system. The forecasting engine shows past sales trends, which makes it possible to build schedules with the right amount of labor. There are also over 40 reports.

Multi-Unit Store View

The Above Store Console provides reporting and visibility across stores, anywhere and at any time. It can be configured by region, state, country.

Bilingual App & Support

The mobile app is available in English & Spanish. Employees can call into the AVS or Customer Support Center to get their schedule in English or Spanish - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

HotSchedules Features