IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers Reviews

TrustRadius TRUE BadgeTrustRadius Top Rated for 2020

Gustavo Villarreal | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use our IBM Bare Metal Servers for most of our server infrastructure needs, either in-house services, or hosted services for customers, and also prototypes and demos. We develop services for contact centers, so it's important to be able to build a very specific feature and prototype it quickly, mirroring as closely as possible the customer's environment, whether they run Bare Metal, VMs or containers. With our IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers we have been able to provide a solution efficiently.
  • Strong reliability
  • Availability of servers and capacities.
  • Network capacity and pricing.
  • Better hardware options for longer terms.
  • Better pricing for longer terms.
  • Better upgrade incentives to move to newer hardware.
IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers are well suited for scenarios where you need good flexibility, strong dependability, and sensible network bandwidth costs. Wouldn't be a great fit for a very elastic service.
As we run contact center applications, it is very important to have a known, dedicated, and dependable server and network capacity. And if we need more or less, it is quick enough (for our projects) to change things. And the flexibility to run things on VM or Bare-metal allows us to host anything we need, which is hardly the case with cloud solutions such as AWS. Sometimes a customer would need a specific SD-WAN solution or a specific security software with specific networking or storage needs, and that is just not possible on AWS or similar services.
  • IBM Cloud Virtual Servers
We haven't really used much of the other IBM Cloud products yet, we like to manage all we can ourselves. But it's good to know we can have all that portfolio any time we need. Coming from the Softlayer days, this has given me the confidence that we are hosting our services with a strong provider.
Read Gustavo Villarreal's full review
November 07, 2020
Ismail Mohamed Sidiya | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use our IBM Bare Metal Servers for most of our production hosting needs. We develop and manage a number of content portals that generate substantial traffic, so it's important to be able to build a solid infrastructure that handles traffic spike. With our IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers, we have been able to record sustained growth for many years.

• Reliable platform, never had any issue with the hardware.
  • Reliable infrastructure, 100% uptime in so many years.
  • Network capacity and pricing.
  • Real-time support.
  • Better upgrade incentives to move to newer hardware.
  • Chat support could improve and be more responsive.
  • Data centers in MENA.
IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers are well suited for media publishers who expect good flexibility, strong dependability, and sensible network bandwidth costs over the long term.
Servers have run at low utilization for years and are fast and reliable. Our sites serve millions of content articles with no issues.
At present, we are not using other services from IBM.

Read Ismail Mohamed Sidiya's full review
September 06, 2020
Gilmer Donis | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers to publish our software products and also to support our clients that don't own cloud infrastructure or don't want to have our products in their cloud, clients that just want the service running. We found that IBM Cloud is our best option to work with. We are a small software business, with fewer than 5 employees and we just reached five years of experience with IBM Cloud. We love it and want to keep going. We are fine with the Bare Metal Servers that we own. We get notifications every time we need to schedule the maintenance. Our clients are also happy the service is always up and running when needed.
  • Never down
  • Always trusty
  • All the resources work for me
  • Log with a recommendation to improve the servers' issues
  • Webinars that help to know what else I can do with my servers.
  • Email the monthly dashboard
I recommend IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers 100%. For a case like mine, where I want to control all the server resources to my products, want to tell my clients that everything is being managed so they can have a full server service, so they can trust entirely what they are offered, and avoid the possibility of something degrading the service.
Sometimes our products need to load a lot of data, sometimes daily, sometimes monthly, and with that data, we need to perform many calculations, over and over. So far we have no complaints about it. We build our Bare Metal Server with much RAM and we believe that it has the power to perform what we need.
We feel organized.
Read Gilmer Donis's full review
Muhammad Zarak Khan | TrustRadius Reviewer
It's being used to process compute-heavy genetic infrastructure of microbes we research. It solves the unreliability issues of our portal.
  • 100% reliable
  • Zero down time
  • Dedicated unlimited computational power
  • Cost is high if no startup credit is applied for before initiating work on it.
  • Machine migration process is complicated.
  • Insufficient tutorials and one click solutions
In laboratories where there is unreliable electricity and internet connection, IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers serve as a lifeline. But if you have a reliable connection to the internet and electricity and also have the budget to deploy hardware yourself, then you may deploy on your own location.
Literally Excellent. IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers are no match for service providers and no other options can compete with them. Our experience was very good. For the price, we were able to make remarkable achievements in processing our medical research.
  • IBM Cloud for VMware Solutions
It made it possible to get targets achieved faster and guaranteed success in computation within timeline.
Read Muhammad Zarak Khan's full review
August 31, 2020
Eric Thomas | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use several bare metal servers to support business operations, including sales (multiple web sites), management (back end intranet system), and marketing (newsletters). Our operation is using a proprietary system to manage our inventory, production and sales all together. This system is hosted online as we have staff in multiple locations, including programmers and office staff. We are able to keep all of our data online with real-time updates from the programmers and live updates to our customers on the production status.
  • Multiple locations for distributed computing allowing faster download speeds for our customers and staff alike
  • Full service of domain registrations, SSL purchases, server rental, DNS servers, etc. This allows us to keep all of our necessary related services within a single console and single billing system.
  • Good backup system with off-site backup servers and easy disaster recovery
  • New console is confusing and hard to navigate. Integration of the "classic interface" is sometimes redundant and doesn't function well. This is especially apparent in the trouble ticket section where legacy trouble tickets are not found.
  • Hardware support is almost non-existent unless paying a very high monthly fee. The "free" support that comes with renting a server (or servers) for up to $2,000/mo is laughable at best. Our server was down and no response from tech support for over 24 hours and no way to escalate the ticket as we were not "premium" subscribers.
  • Connecting to KVM for remote access is only possible over an SSL VPN connection, which requires the use of Internet Explorer which is soon to be removed and is currently only accessible by search. A newer, updated system needs to be put in place to gain remote access.
IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers are especially well suited for large companies that can afford the premium support plan, as downtime is generally not acceptable for any company but unavoidable if you can't afford premium support. Smaller companies may be better suited to a smaller server farm that has more personalized service and tech support options. But, if you require server clusters and/or multiple server locations, and can afford the tech support plans, then this is a solid, stable option.
As our operation is a single company with multiple websites, we do not really have Big Data applications. Our databases rarely exceed 6-10 million records for any particular table. We do not use media and/or streaming applications.
We are not using other services of IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers.
Read Eric Thomas's full review
John Rivers | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use IBM Bare Metal servers for hosting web applications. Their performance is great, and their support is even better. I really appreciate all of the communication, updates, and flexibility that IBM offers. The scalability is easy and all of the services are very cost-effective. No more AWS! IBM is the best!
  • Scalability
  • Cost effective
  • Performance
  • Security
  • Needed to work with a sales rep to get exactly what I needed.
  • Had to move my server after one year since they were shutting down a data center (they gave 9 months notice though).
  • Bandwidth is limited too much in my opinion.
If you are using AWS, SWITCH! IBM is half the price, has the same scalability, and has excellent support.
My servers have run at 3-5% utilization for 8+ years. IBM servers are fast and reliable. No issues running my workloads.
  • IBM Cloud Virtual Servers
I love the IBM servers, Virtual and Bare metal. An excellent option as it is secure, reliable, and cost-effective.
Read John Rivers's full review
November 19, 2020
Jeffrey Lange | TrustRadius Reviewer
I used it throughout everything I do for hosting. It addresses all my hosting problems for personal hosting and client hosting.
  • Adding on memory
  • Support
  • Potential of greater processing power
  • I have switched to virtual servers because of their quickness of resources
  • Reloading OS takes a long time
  • Pricing
  • Everything seems slower than a virtual server
I used Bare Metal Servers for several years but after using Virtual servers I am probably not going to return to Bare Metal based on the pricing comparison. Virtual servers seem faster in every aspect to do anything I do. Changing memory is instant. Changing processes is instant. I do not feel there are much advantages of bare metal servers after using virtual servers.
I primarily used bare metal servers to run message boards at the time. I feel like the traffic was too much load for one server and the lack of load balancing made me fail a lot with my experience.
I would like to use more services but the problem is the lack of knowledge of the services. I think IBM should be more informative on their Youtube channel IBM Cloud so I can be educated more. Providing examples would be very fun to watch because there is so much to learn with all the services you offer but it's almost like you position everyone to just know about them. I need a spot to learn more about them and I personally use YouTube a lot for learning. But I do not think IBM is using it very well for me and other users to learn more.
Read Jeffrey Lange's full review
Reid TenKley, CPA | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have utilized IBM Cloud Virtual and Bare Metal Servers to help our business scale and grow over the past 6 years. Service has been good, pricing has been fair, and we have peace of mind by working with a top-shelf vendor like IBM. I would recommend IBM Cloud to any small business looking to grow as we did.
  • Fair pricing
  • Latest technology
  • Real-time support
  • Certain support was lacking when we had a server drive failure. It would have been appropriate for IBM technicians to help us get a server set up since the failure was hardware related AND the back up we had been paying for wasn't properly archived.
Great for a start-up looking to lease equipment that can scale as they grow.
  • IBM Cloud Virtual Servers
We utilize virtual servers for our web hosting and development environments but we use Bare Metal Servers for our production database server.
Read Reid TenKley, CPA's full review
September 03, 2020
Asnee Fernando | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using it as our high performing servers to train models for AI projects. We get to utilize servers fully, providing power instead of sharing with others.
  • Training models for data science projects are much faster and a lot more cost-effective than paying by the hour/per use.
  • Test environment.
  • Cost effective. Cloud Bare Metal Servers are much cheaper than if you do the calculation and are running 24/7.
  • More customization like turn off auto-update, linking servers to turn to HPC, even overclock to safe limits.
  • Access to other IBM products like nvidia a100, amc processor with nvidia graphic cards, etc.
  • Installing Chrome, and other Windows tweaks.
Well suited for training models for data science with a dedicated server. We don't have to worry about racking up hourly costs, which would be costlier than Bare Metal. The reason I didn’t give 10 is because did not see any new intel processing and it lacks the ability to increase more GPU (instead of maxing out at 2).

I see it as overall positive than negative. The only negative is the risk of loss of storage and security.
Having IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers has been awesome for training data for financials, biometrics, etc.
It helped greatly to train models.
Read Asnee Fernando's full review
December 25, 2020
[IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers] is currently being used across the whole organization for delivery of all of our products across a standard platform both within the continental United States and Europe and Asia. It allows for performances to be met at a generally cost-effective price point so we can deliver our products consistently, continuously, and stably.
  • Multiple processor options close to the latest offerings from Intel.
  • Many options of RAM for different memory requirements.
  • Multiple RAID arrays and disk options for the customers to configure.
  • Firmware upgrades are not always easy to perform and can be required at unusual time intervals at different datacenters.
  • No networking monitoring is available.
  • Changes on the IBM side can cause an outage, so you MUST plan for redundancy when building out.
Heavier usage of processor and/or memory with higher network requirements. Such as a robust, vertical database cluster or a robust Redis cluster. Their bare metal offerings are very suited for these use-cases as well as data-science requirements for modeling servers. Basically, anything that requires a large hardware requirement, these servers can deliver.
Data intensive applications run very well. These machines a "built" for this kind of load. Word of advice, don't skimp on the network cards, nor the dual-bonding, in the event of streaming, as the 1GB tends to be not enough to handle what the rest of a high-performant box can load.
This is usually a good thing, but I have had a mixed bag. The public cloud does not always mesh well with the private cloud and there is a decent amount of configuration required before both can interconnect. As it usually follows, added complexity has caused us issues with traceability and outages.
November 09, 2020
We utilize IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers to run custom Ubuntu servers. The entire company's dashboard application, which supports both clients and our own operations, is run through these servers. We needed IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers to run our custom stack back in 2014, and we have been utilizing them ever since.
  • Extremely high reliability
  • Monitoring was easy to setup
  • Internal networking is fast
  • Maintenance takes Bare Metal offline at unusual times
  • Support is not always reachable
  • IBM Cloud Dashboard is not the fastest
I think as a commodity provider, IBM's offering is just fine, nothing too great or bad about it. It's ideal for scenarios where a company doesn't want to offload specific services to IaaS because of the upgrade or support issues. It is low maintenance if you have solid devOps to set up the machines. I don't think it's appropriate for businesses that want to utilize IaaS as a Management solution.
We run Elasticsearch using these machines, and it performs great. We have zero complaints with the performance of the machines in regard to being able to handle large loads of client and end-user data. The security of the IBM Cloud allows us to enhance our datasets with the mindfulness of knowing that our data is secure.
October 20, 2020
We use it as development and testing platform. It turned out that the stability is top notch. We got 100% uptime during last 4 years, so we highly consider it as our production platform too. The platform is no longer supported since it has been discontinued and considered as legacy service, but we still use it by our own risk since the platform is really stable & reliable.
  • Reliable platform, never have any issue with the hardware.
  • Reliable infrastructure, 100% uptime during last 4 years in service.
  • The service price is higher than most competitors but it is worth considering its reliability.
  • Ability to switch OS/platform license to customer's own license without being re-deploy.
  • Procedure for easy hardware refresh (especially hard drive) to ease cloning content to new hard drive. We have a 6 years disk and we very concern about it.
  • Other than that, everything is OK.
The reliability is the keyword. We've recommended this to many partners & customers. Some of them have tried it and like it, they are really pleased with it. Some have tried the service, but discontinue for various reason, but at the end they came back to IBM again since no competitor in the market can offer the same reliability as IBM does.
We're making an AFTM/ACDM (Air Traffic Flow Management/Airport Collaborative Decision Making) system based on IoT and real data processing. We process aircraft data in milliseconds resolution, that about 500 aircraft per second with up to 50 parameters per aircraft. The Bare Metal we use is the benchmark how far our system can be pushed to process air traffic in a real-time. It became the minimum specs for our system.
VMware as the hypervisor, all others are open source products. We use all Debian for our VM.
October 19, 2020
IBM Cloud Bare Metal help us in R&D department. We use it for Machine Learning and Deep Learning. We have access to high quality servers with very good performances. We run very intensive tasks and the servers are always powerful. We save a lot of time running this task on big servers in Cloud.
  • Performance.
  • Large offers choice.
  • Prices.
  • 100 Mbps default uplink.
  • Limited bandwidth.
  • Price for better network connectivity.
If you need performances and hourly billing for Bare Metal Servers, you are at the right place. If you need a lot of bandwidth and an uplink bigger than 100 Mbps, it’s an investment per server. Prices are balanced between very good hardware performances and limited network default offer. Taking all in consideration, it’s a good provider for intensive tasks like ML and AI.
We run Machine Learning on IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers. It’s a perfect choice for intensive applications. The hardware is very powerful and can save a lot of time running this tasks in Cloud. We store a lot of data for run our machine learning and servers are adapted to store good amount of data.
Having the possibility to use multiple products offered by the same provider is very important. You reduce the cost of your infrastructure. Using Bare Metal Servers with Cloud Instances and other services at the same place is good for saving time, saving money and constantly know what is deployed for your organization.
September 11, 2020
I use IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers to support online gamers on some platforms (frontend and backend) and provide a backend for the game hosted on other platforms. I've used IBM Cloud Server for 12 years starting from the time it was Softlayer. I hosted it in a couple of datacenters so far. I use Microsoft Windows and MSSQL Server software.
  • Good quality support
  • Good quality of hardware
  • Transparency about technical issues, security issues
  • The new IBM cloud customer site is not convenient
  • Relatively high prices of hardware and bandwidth
  • Relatively high prices for storage
  • Not flexible server storage configuration (SSD options related)
Scenarios where IBM Cloud Servers are well suited:
1. When you need a backend server with database to handle many simultaneous users online.
2. When you need robust solution with high quality support.
3. When you need server based in many different locations around the world

Scenarios where IBM Cloud Servers are less appropriate:
1. When you need a corporate server with low number of users.
2. When you would not need high quality support.
3. Relatively small budget.
I used IBM Cloud Metal servers for 12 years (from the times it was Softlayer). I used it for intensive applications and games with tens of thousands and sometimes hundreds of thousands of users online. I use Microsoft Windows and MSSQL database server with large databases. So far IBM Cloud Metal Servers had proven to provide robust solution.
  • IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers
I use IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers only.
September 04, 2020
We started using this service around 2012 as a solution to host multiple websites, when SoftLayer was not yet part of IBM. We use this service exclusively for this purpose. This service solves our necessity to host multiple websites on a secure environment. We use 5 bare metal servers for this purpose.
  • Professional and proactive tech support.
  • Great performance on servers.
  • Nice interface to manage the infrastructure and services.
  • Sometimes Chat support is not very useful.
  • Some services are expensive if you compare them with cloud infrastructure.
Even when cloud is far more practical and sometimes cheaper today, Bare Metal Servers has its advantages. For example, if you have CPU or GPU intensive applications that need to be used constantly, that will be more expensive on some cloud providers. We found in our experience that we can have a server deployed in a matter of hours. And with a very good technical support provided by actual people, something that you can't get always on a cloud provider.

But if you need to host websites, even if you are a reseller, it's hard to recommend.
We started our journey on this service looking for a professional web hosting service. As time passed, we used one server to host a Kaltura Open server, which transcoded and served video files. And it worked perfectly. The performance in the servers in general was always great.

Other server that had intensive usage was a Database server, that served more than 20 different databases for several websites and it worked perfect, even on heavy load times.
August 25, 2020
We are using Bare-Metal Servers to host web applications and REST APIs. We also use them for deployment and staging environments.
  • Good customization
  • Fast connectivity
  • Reliable hardware
  • Expensive compared to other providers.
  • Lack of included priority support.
  • Admin portal is slow and difficult to use.
  • Basic support response is extremely slow.
Their Bare Metal Servers are great and some of the most reliable I have used. However, I do believe they are overpriced, especially for SSD options in comparison with their competitors. Also, it baffles me as to why premium support isn't included in Bare Metal products, as they are priced far higher than their virtual compute products.
When budget is a priority, I use AWS. When I need raw power and no support, I use IBM.
April 07, 2020
Gerardo Fernandez Ruiz | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used it to create a high-availability cluster
  • Gives you the opportunity to use your own software licensing.
  • You can add features easily, growing as you need.
  • You forget about the physical management of the server.
  • The way to connect to the private network could be improved.
  • Portal availability could be improved as well.
  • A better way to manage notifications could be found.
When you need to use your own software agreements, or when you need to have an isolated load or a very specific configuration.
People in support get to the problem really fast, they help 24/7 and they are always polite and helpfull. I'm taking one point though, because sometimes it takes longer to solve an issue if another problem comes to light.
Read Gerardo Fernandez Ruiz's full review
April 07, 2020
Being used as our primary production for our Web Apps, Internal Facing Apps, and our database warehouse.
  • Quick Deployment
  • Wide global footprint
  • Many auxiliary services beyond servers
  • Downtime!
  • Limited availability in certain markets
  • Some outdated documentation
Development, USA presence, and single source provider solutions are great for IBM Bluemix. You will need to establish DR locations as the uptime is not up to standards.
The support is decent and in an emergency they will help you if you make enough noise. However the creation of "class of customers" within the IBM ecosystem I think is a step backwards as it can put emergencies on the back burner simply because we didn't pay enough in monthly fees.
February 10, 2020
IBM Cloud Bare Metal Server is successfully used as a production server for Ultimus CPS Solutions for US Counties.
  • Fast.
  • Reliable.
  • They are slightly more expensive than other providers.
Depending on the scenario, a Bare Metal Server has advantages over a virtual machine - it has dedicated resources and therefore offers better and more reliable performance.
All our solutions run perfectly fine on IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers.
  • IBM Secure Gateway
IBM Secure Gateway helps us to protect our environment.
January 13, 2020
Venkat Charan | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are a cloud gaming based company. So we use highly-configured bare-metal servers with GPUs across the organization. We were able to utilize the entire performance of the hardware since bare metal servers are single-tenant, unlike virtual cloud servers.
  • High performance backed by single-tenant sharing.
  • Cheaper than public virtual servers by around 60%.
  • Initial set-up times are high! It's rare, but they do take around 30 hours.
  • Not a good option to run temporary workloads while scaling up.
Bare Metal Servers are extraordinary while running calculated workloads. Let's say for example, that your business caters 1 million users a month and you need 8 servers to handle the load. When you have a clear cut requirement like this, a business can move from Virtual Cloud servers to Bare Metal servers and this will help them push out extra performance and even reduce the cloud costs by more than half. It is not well suited when you have to provision extra servers because of the temporary surge in traffic or resources.
We continuously stream a VM on the Bare Metal Servers for our users to game on. The servers are backed by the latest hardware such as the Nvidia V100s to render and stream the application data to the user. We have never experienced any system hang even when we running our weekly maintenance that takes a lot of computing power.
Read Venkat Charan's full review
December 05, 2019
Carlos Flores | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use these servers to host the websites and applications of many of our clients. These servers provide us with the uptime and speed required for usage in many eCommerce and local government websites, in case of failure due to hardware errors or network connectivity their support is top-notch.
  • Up-time.
  • Support.
  • Flexibility.
  • Weird SSL VPN Support.
They are well suited for high-performance websites and applications that require more resources than a traditional virtual machine can offer. You have to be aware that since these are real servers their boot times are in the real of five minutes or more because of the tests the machines do during POST.
Read Carlos Flores's full review
November 12, 2019
Chandan Dwivedi | TrustRadius Reviewer
Bare Metal Server helps me to do heavy computational tasks easily. It's very useful for an AI engineer like me who needs lots of CPU and GPU power to train and test AI models. I have purchased bare metal with two Nvidia V100 GPU and it works like a charm for my most implementations of Neural Networks and ML models. I also use it as a platform to deploy my docker containers. I love working on Bare Metal. However, I have faced an issue with it when one of my servers got corrupted and I lost all my data. Apart from it, everything about it is unmatched in today's market.
  • Handling heavy computational tasks.
  • Training and testing complicated and Heavy Duty Artificial Intelligence Models and algorithms.
  • Deploying Docker and other microservices.
  • Acting as always-on server and cloud PC for files and folders.
  • Stability and data protection.
  • More choices of OS for VM server.
  • Better cost management.
IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers are very well suited for training and testing AI models and heavy computational models. The smoothness and set-up of the Bare Metal server are unmatched. However, it is not much suited for long-time data storage and backend application deployment. It is prone to disk corruption and can cause data loss.
It's fantastic to handle Big data processing and media streaming. It has helped me to reduce lots of time is processing huge amounts of data and generating analytical reports out of it. I have used media streaming on it once and did the job perfectly. I am impressed with the Bare Metal Server.
Read Chandan Dwivedi's full review
November 11, 2019
Maruf Yunus | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are currently looking at using bare-metal servers to use it to host ESXi and KVM. I am part of education services, we are looking at using this to handle situations where we need more servers and our internal servers that are in use kind of use it as an overflow or burst-in.
  • Choice of different server flavors.
  • Ease of set-up.
  • Global datacenters.
  • IPMI controls.
  • The duration of set-up time could be improved.
  • More control over VLAN or layer 2 control over private networks between my servers. Right now it's hard to manage or request and expensive.
  • Portal UI.
IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers are well suited for bare metal complex environment provisioning or testings such as OpenStack, contrail, VMware ESXi, or KVM based environments. We need hypervisor level access so bare metal servers give us the most control.
Read Maruf Yunus's full review
November 08, 2019
Kaitlyn Delacruz | TrustRadius Reviewer
Using Bare Metal Servers to build a unique system for people disabilities and training purposes. It addresses the problems of having to pay a lot of upfront costs and reduces the downtime trying to do maintenance and network maintenance as its all done by IBM cloud bare metal. I also feel that it resolves a lot of issues in developing systems as if something doesn't work then I reformat or re-mirror the system.
  • Quick set-up.
  • Security.
  • Awesome sales and support.
  • More Canadian datacenters.
IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers are good all around for startups to the most advanced users and companies.
We are using it for Windows Server setups so our data-intensive applications can be worked on easier and via VPN connections.
Read Kaitlyn Delacruz's full review
December 03, 2019
We are trying it out to see how we like it. We are using it mainly to deploy docker containers on bare metal servers. We are currently at a host that seems to have off and on reliability, and we wanted to give someone else a try with our business.
  • More options for machines configurations.
  • More robust machines.
  • More services.
  • Better customization of bare metal servers.
  • The entire interface, it can be slow and confusing.
  • They could drop their prices more which would attract more startups.
  • Sometimes the pricing can be confusing; that could be a LOT clearer.
  • Navigation can be improved greatly.
It can be a little overwhelming to understand at times and get a bit confusing. The learning curve should not be so tricky. It at least makes more sense than AWS.

Service-level Agreement (SLA) uptime (30)
Dynamic scaling (19)
Elastic load balancing (15)
Pre-configured templates (17)
Monitoring tools (26)
Pre-defined machine images (20)
Operating system support (31)
Security controls (29)

What is IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers?

IBM Cloud bare metal servers are cloud servers configurable in hourly and monthly options, on-demand, around the globe—with a complete selection of standard features and services for small businesses and enterprise demands. Customize RAM and SSDs to meet a variety of workload requirements with 11M+ configurations to choose from for total control up and down the stack.

Customization
Choose between hourly or monthly pre-configured servers or customize with single to quad processing solutions.

On demand
Provision servers in IBM Cloud data centers around the world in two to four hours. If you need to be online in minutes or only need limited resources, select an hourly bare metal server.

Powerful
Available options from single processor 4-core architectures to quad-processor 12-core architectures and up to 3TB RAM. Local storage ranges from 800 GB to 1.2 TB SSDs and up to 36 drivers per server.

SAP integration
Shift SAP environments from on-premise to the fully powered IBM Cloud. SAP HANA 4-socket and 8-socket bare metal servers are SAP certified for production S/4 HANA workloads.

GPU integration
Provision bare metal servers with cutting-edge NVIDIA Tesla GPUs to handle the most complex compute-intensive workloads for high performance acceleration of scientific computation, data analytics, AI, machine learning and professional-grade virtualized graphics.

IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers Features

IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers Video

IaaS Explained

IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers Downloadables

IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers Integrations

CentOS Linux, Ubuntu Linux, Odin Virtuozzo, VMware ESXi, VMware vSphere on IBM Cloud, McAfee Total Protection, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, MongoDB, Veeam Backup & Replication, FreeBSD, NetApp ONTAP Select, CloudLinux, Debian, Microsoft, Red Hat, Vyatta Virtual Router Appliance, Citrix XenServer, Microsoft Hyper-V, APF Software Firewall, McAfee Anti-Virus, McAfee Host Intrustion Protection, Microsoft Windows Firewall, Basho Riak, IBM Cloud Analytics, Fantastico, RVSkin, Softaculous, Plesk - ONYX, R1 Soft Server Backup Manager Enterprise, OSNEXUS QuantaStor

IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers Competitors

Alibaba ECS Bare Metal Servers, Oracle Bare Metal Servers, Rackspace Bare Metal Servers

IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers Pricing

• Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
  • Entry-level set up fee?Optional
IBM Cloud Bare Metal Serversstarting at $0.51per hour
IBM Cloud Bare Metal Serversstarting at $324.00per month

IBM Bare Metal Servers provide performance, flexibility, on-demand provisioning, and control. Choose between hourly or monthly pre-configured servers or customize with single to quad processing solutions that range from 4 to 72 cores. Bare metal servers are available worldwide and with no monthly contracts so you can build the best solution for your workloads. Order a monthly bare metal server built to spec, and we’ll have it to you in two to four hours—with 500 GB/month outbound bandwidth included. Order an hourly bare metal server, and we’ll have it ready for you in 20 to 30 minutes. Public outbound bandwidth is charged per gigabyte.

IBM Cloud Bare Metal Servers Support Options