Score 7.9 out of 10

BlueMix-a-lot

July 24, 2017
For the past year I've run a personal website on auto-pilot that runs a few thousand API calls per month against IBM Watson Alchemy APIs. …

What, son?

May 20, 2016
I am testing out a variety of analytics platforms to get a better understanding of which product is best to use. I typically input ad …

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of IBM Watson Analytics (discontinued), and make your voice heard!

Sorry, this product's description is unavailable

What is IBM Cognos Analytics with Watson?

IBM Cognos is a full-featured business intelligence suite by IBM, designed for larger deployments. It comprises Query Studio, Reporting Studio, Analysis Studio and Event Studio, and Cognos Administration along with tools for Microsoft Office integration, full-text search, and dashboards.

What is Databricks Lakehouse Platform?

Databricks in San Francisco offers the Databricks Lakehouse Platform (formerly the Unified Analytics Platform), a data science platform and Apache Spark cluster manager. The Databricks Unified Data Service aims to provide a reliable and scalable platform for data pipelines, data lakes, and data…

IBM Watson Analytics (discontinued) Technical Details

Attribute Ratings

We use IBM Watson analytics to replace our data science roles – primarily within social media. I started using it as a recommendation from a client, to get better insight (they're shifting all their software over to IBM. I'm sorry I cannot elaborate further on that). This program is basically a smart data/visual analysis that helps its clients discover patterns within data they upload, for their research. In this case, with our clients, we use it to determine their traffic through their Twitter and Facebook marketing/advertising. It helps us discover what ads are the most responsive and what content resonates best with customers.
  • Implementation of the data is fairly easy, all it requires is registration and uploading data from a spreadsheet – it's little more than copy/pasting which is pretty manageable on time
  • It's affordable – it offers a $30 plan for its "Plus" services, and $80/month for its Professional services. With a small markup, this is profitable for both us and our clients
  • Their customer support has been great – they have live personal available by phone or chat during regular business hours, and their Customer Support forums are always available 24/7. They're always quick to address an issue.
  • The accuracy of the reporting from the program relies solely on the data the user sources. There can be errors in reporting due to...well, human error, which can kind of mess up your entire data sheet
  • When you're working with a program that is a cloud-based service, decentralized reporting can mislead organizations when you're not properly balanced with the traditional checks of a governed system – again, this is a human-error issue
  • IBM advertises this as a program that can work for any user, but unless you have experience working with data analytics, it can be difficult to determine where to start. I had to look up a few tutorials online before I was able to properly get my data rolling through
Despite its shortcomings, IBM Watson Analytics does its job well. It's paired for any size organization, big or small – but realistically, if you're going to be analyzing user-data on a broad scale, it probably makes sense to use this program if you're working with a big company. Otherwise Facebook Analytics could probably do the work for you, for a cheaper price. Our social media manager has been using it to track data for a client of ours, and they have been enjoying it so far. It's a good system to determine user traffic.
Most commonly, if you're comparing it against other brands – my favorite being Google Analytics – this essentially does the same thing. It really just depends on what platform you're most comfortable working with. Google and IBM both have great software, and ease of use (assuming you know what you're doing when you get started). Although Google doesn't go as in-depth with their data analysis as IBM.
So I used IBM Watson Analytics in a class that I was offered at my school. It was being used by our department only. It was used to give students an understanding about new technologies in the cognitive computing world. I was also lucky enough to be able to do a project on the same platform.
  • It can definitely parse textual data really well.
  • It has some great features associated with it for analyzing the textual data.
  • You don't have to know real world coding to use it.
  • I think they could add some more things into the user manuals.
  • Make it compatible with HTML formats as well as it is with the doc format.
  • Let the users have access to the instance which is as close to the jeopardy instance as possible.
Anything with textual data would be a perfect scenario for this product as the ultimate aim for it was to create an instance which would be able to process textual data just like the way humans might do it.