IBM Watson Media's Video Streaming Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Beth Jinkerson profile photo
My church uses IBM Watson Media's Video Streaming to webcast all public assemblies for Bible study and worship of the church that meets at 138 Providence Road in Oak Ridge TN. We are a congregation of about 145 members drawn from Oak Ridge, Clinton, and Knoxville and surrounding rural areas. The webcast serves members who are homebound or otherwise unable to attend in person. We also make the assemblies available to interested people around the world.

IBM’s video streaming service is cost-effective for us since we are such a small congregation. We are able to use open-source free products to support our video stream, making this a uniquely accessible approach to a service that is of primary importance to our mission statement.
  • This service allows multiple viewers to either set up a free, ongoing account or watch anonymously without getting an account.
  • Whether or not the viewer logs into an account or views anonymously, they can participate in the chat room, another feature of IBM’s software. Here, one can ask questions, make comments, and ask for technical support. Our webcasting team also uses this chat room feature to manage/test technical details related to webcast quality and other specific settings for the stream (I.e., sound, image, camera focus, etc.).
  • The ability to auto-record is another useful feature for us. The company offers a generous 1000 hours of recorded content per month, which is more than enough for our roughly 4 hours of streaming per week on average. This makes it possible to save an entire year of worship and study time for playback.
  • Occasionally, we experience a form of static that lasts for about 1 to 2 minutes. It appears in the live stream and in the auto-recorded file, but not in the live worship assembly. It occurs roughly 1 in every 4 hours of webcast time. I wish there was a way to trace the source of that recurring static. The diagnostic tools could be more robust.
  • It would be nice if the chat room allowed a user photo/avatar for each user to personalize that a little more.
  • I have wished for a way that an admin could use a “laser pointer” on the video window to point out something on the feed that other live viewers could see.
  • It would be wonderful to have a mini-tutorial for viewers who are not technically savvy that would inform them of how to get to the site and explain how they can use the software. For example, how they can see and type in the chat room, how to maximize the screen and make it smaller. Some of our viewers are in nursing homes or otherwise limited in capability to learn to use this on their own.
This software is ideal for any size church. The ability to purchase a modest number of viewer-hours per month for a reasonable cost (no-ads) is hugely important for non-profit organizations. Being able to live-stream, record and watch from the archives is also great. Finally, the chat room allows for a more interactive experience than traditional tv broadcasting.
Read Beth Jinkerson's full review
James Marples profile photo
We livestream a range of events, from our graduation ceremony to live Q & As. Essentially livestreaming gives us wider access to our stakeholders, be it colleagues, families of our students, prospective students or current students themselves.
  • Storage of footage is excellent, clear and easily managed.
  • Syncing to our streaming system is easy.
  • Reliability is always good.
  • The preview functionality of saved footage can be very laggy.
It suits a lot of our streaming in regards to having chat functionality and also as a lot of streams are to education establishments it is often much more user friendly in comparison to more social channels like youtube or facebook in regard to accessing whilst on site. To clarify, YouTube and Facebook are blocked on a lot of school's ICT systems so they struggle to access content on there, Ustream/IBM Watson always works.
Read James Marples's full review
Loual Puliafito profile photo
At St. Patrick's Cathedral, the video streaming service is used every day for daily Mass. We also stream organ recitals, music concerts, and special occasions. Yes the streaming service is used by the entire organization. The biggest problem addressed is sharing the good works of the Cathedral with those people who are homebound or live in another part of the country or world.
  • It's great at hosting large amount of streamers at once. We reach upwards of 5,000 at a time.
  • The stream adjusts to the device the user is using.
  • Placing information in the stream is very easy.
  • I would like for it to approve its capabilities with connecting to social media.
Let's just say I was in a unique situation where all I had was my phone. I could literally broadcast a stream from my iPhone. Amazing!
Read Loual Puliafito's full review
Michelle Smitherman profile photo
We use Watson Video Streaming just once a year for our high school Senior Signing Day event in May of each year. It is pretty easy to navigate and the guys on the service line are great. They really want to help resolve your issue in the best manner possible. We stream our two-hour event for parents who are at work and attend the live event or other family members living outside the area and can't attend. We fundraise and take comments during the live stream. As I said, I really like the folks on the helpline.
  • The video is high quality!
  • Ease of use
  • Great customer service
  • Good pricing
  • Not a technician so I'm good for what I need it to do.
It is well suited for our event because we want our live streaming to be of high quality, but our funds are limited. Watson gives us both high quality at a cost even our small non-profit can afford. Ustream was good, but Watson Media is even better.
Read Michelle Smitherman's full review
Frank Irzyk profile photo
We use IBM Watson Media Video Streaming to be able to provide parents and staff the ability to view significant public events in real-time and in recorded formats. Often parents and off-duty staff and even staff who are not able to leave classroom situations are able to view and participate in activities provided by the Overbrook School For The Blind and are able to view events in a time convenient to them. Students get a real kick out of being able to view performances that they were involved in after the fact. It is a bonus that the video and audio are crystal clear.
  • Stream and record significant events.
  • Stream and record staff events and meetings.
  • Stream events with moderately priced equipment.
  • Better opportunities to stream using wireless connections.
  • Simpler user interface.
IBM Watson is well suited for event streaming.
Read Frank Irzyk's full review
Jon Stothard profile photo
We are a multi-site teaching facility. IBM Watson allows talks and presentations from one site to be streamed to other locations or to staff members at home. Due to the low-cost hardware required, any PC and a simple capture card, it outweighs more expensive solutions.
  • Low cost hardware requirement
  • Low cost subscription model
  • Automated subtitling included in subscription
  • More generous streaming capacity included in standard package
  • Better online video management tools - I discovered very old videos were being stored without my knowledge
Low viewership streams are where IBM Watson excels, this is not due to IBM's bandwidth capacity obviously! This is more down to a subscription model that, in effect, punishes you for having a popular stream.

There is no obvious security, so confidential data cannot be streamed using this service.

For a "quick and dirty" solution, this works well.
Read Jon Stothard's full review
Eli Garfinkel profile photo
We use the IBM Streaming platform annually to provide a way for sick or incapacitated members of our congregation to see and hear our High Holy Day services in the fall. Our health-challenged congregants appreciate this service, as it allows them to feel like a part of our community even though they can’t physically attend. The service also helps those who find themselves out-of-town during the holidays.
  • It makes video streaming extremely simple. Anyone with basic computer skills can set it up.
  • It is very reasonably priced and the service is much more reliable than free options.
  • The quality is good.
  • A few have complained about the audio quality, but I am not sure that this is an IBM Watson issue. It may be a microphone problem or an issue with users' speakers.
  • I would like the system to be more compatible with Chromebooks. The audio was unacceptable when I used my Chromebook for live streaming, but good when I used my Mac.
  • I'd like the silver plan to include more user hours.
Whenever you need reliable, reasonably priced live streaming, IBM Watson is your answer! It's very good for places that don't have expensive cameras and large technology budgets. I like that I can "set and forget" it; we're not allowed to fiddle with technology during the holiday, so it's very important that our streaming service works reliably.
Read Eli Garfinkel's full review
Ryan McGarry profile photo
I use the streaming platform to stream user test sessions to our research partners and across the entire company. It enables everyone to see our testing as it's happening, to see our methodologies, and to communicate our test results live.
  • Streams high-quality video and audio.
  • Shows multiple feeds (camera and screen share) in the same view.
  • Quickly change video sources to participant testing sessions.
  • Sometimes bandwidth causes video quality to become very low.
This is an excellent platform for customizing multiple video and audio sources into a single view (e.g. screen share and user's webcam).
Read Ryan McGarry's full review
Carl Samans profile photo
We use it for our annual conference, which takes place once a year. We live stream the sessions over a 4 day period. It gives us the ability to allow anyone to view our broadcast (with the link). Also, nice to allow comment streams.
  • Once set up, very easy to start/stop streams
  • Review saves streams, editing information
  • Sharing saved streams with others
  • Easy way to save streams and download later
  • I do not like the free version going away. It allowed us to keep streams available when we aren't live streaming (once a year).
  • Allow editing of multiple stream information (like the name).
Well suited for larger events where you don't know your target audience's availability to social media or their experience. Give them a link and they view. Also, they can go back and watch previous streams all in one place.
Read Carl Samans's full review
Johnny Ringo profile photo
We live stream our women's wrestling matches to audiences that pay for it.
  • Customer Service
  • Platform is easy to understand
  • Lower price
The pages between the Ustream and IBM platform still even confuses me. Thankfully, I have the login page on my computer, but it's not always easy to find. One simple unified login page would probably be best if you have not went this way already. My primary thing is price. $99 per month for basic is probably still high, so I will most likely shop around for the best price. Perhaps if you are not using premium features like overlays and some of the other bells whistles, you could break things up into a more basic package, say $19 or $29 per month.
Read Johnny Ringo's full review
Jane Butters profile photo
Its being used by all departments. It provides great search-ability functions that are highly utilized. It is an excellent tool to provide all staff and the public access to council meeting livestreams and minutes that has an excellent timestamp feature that saves a lot of staff time when reviewing previous council decisions.
  • Time stamp feature - saves time during review
  • Split screen view - great feature that shows the minutes or the agenda in a split screen view with the livestream video
  • Easy to schedule live stream events - one click on the agenda build page schedules an event in YouTube
  • It would be great to have the ability to pause the livestream event and then resume again. Currently you can only start/stop the event on YouTube.
  • The 'show video' tab for entering time stamps on the minutes page would be more user-friendly if the video window was larger. Currently it either a very small window that is un-scaleable, or full screen mode.
  • A default option to always have the 'show timestamps' button clicked for every set of minutes, so the user doesn't have to remember to click that option every time minutes are done.
Well suited for organizations that often refer back to the minutes and livestream for reference, who do more than one meeting per month, and who need to provide the public with access to their minutes and meeting videos.
Read Jane Butters's full review
Steven Johnson profile photo
We utilize IBM Watson Media's Video Streaming to distribute the live and archived streams from our weekend services to our website. This format is being used across the entire organization and we have found that it is a reliable resource in communicating with parishioners and other interested parties who could not attend the live event.
  • Quality video
  • Easy to use interface
  • Simple to incorporate into our website and other modes of communication
  • Few connectivity issues but occasionally there is that glitch.
We have found that Watson is a great option for our organization's size. Larger churches may have the option of utilizing more features by choosing a higher level of service. Smaller congregations may find it to be a bit expensive.
Read Steven Johnson's full review
Wayne Gooden profile photo
We have used Ustream for our weekly streaming broadcasts of worship services. It provides a platform for us to use this technology to increase our worship attendance and also provides access for those who are home-bound or traveling. Since our physical location will not allow us to increase in size, we had to introduce streaming in order to not stifle our congregation's growth.
  • It is reliable.
  • Customer support is readily available.
  • The quality of our broadcasts are favorable by our viewers.
  • It fits our needs and we have not found any limitations to the platform
  • More flexible billing options would be great.
We are pleased with the platform and have found it satisfactory to our needs.
Read Wayne Gooden's full review
Joe Farmer profile photo
Our Church, Grace Fellowship Church, currently uses USTREAM to stream service to our website.
  • USTREAM is ideal for providing HD video streaming capabilities to multiple-platforms to include personal websites.
  • Their system or GUI is easy to use and allows the flexibility and customization for any organization big or small.
  • The system allows you to edit video in real-time by utilizing their trimming feature which will allow an organization to create new video and post/publish it with ease.
  • USTREAM struggles in rendering the video for download purposes in real-time. The average render time based on our experience is 24 hrs.
  • USTREAM would be beneficially if it could add features to stream to multi-platforms with ease, for example, like, ReStream.
USTREAM could be suited for any organization desiring to stream video in a simple way!
Read Joe Farmer's full review
Christine Laria profile photo
I am a self-employed business owner who regularly uses a live stream platform for masterclasses and events. I required a non-VOIP platform as I add a good deal of music. My offerings with crystal singing bowls and vocals as part of the work I do were distorted on other platforms and I've been very happy with Ustream.
  • Clear picture and sound
  • Option for live chat
  • Replay of published videos
  • I find there is a lag in the broadcast so that as I ask my viewers questions, their answers come 30 seconds to 2 minutes delayed. I realize part of this could be internet connection speed, but I have a good service that is fast for all other functions.
I feel it is well suited for educational purposes, sharing content, webinars, masterclasses, and live streams. It isn't the best for real-time interaction due to the time lag in the broadcast.
Read Christine Laria's full review
jerry miller profile photo
It is used to live stream our Sunday services and events where some family member can't make the service. The services are then available for on-demand viewing.
  • Very few issues with connectivity to the servers. I think in the 10 years we have used it, we only had one case where the service was down. Can't say that for our sister church that uses Facebook. Seems to be one event per quarter with them.
  • The ability to trim the video down to remove extra content from the live broadcast. Would be nice if we could trim out elements in the middle.
  • Nice analytics.
  • Wide range of methods to get the servers.
  • The ability to edit or trim out content in the middle of the recording. The Trim feature is great for removing content from the beginning and end, nothing for the middle. If we could have in/out markers to put on the timeline, that would direct the player to only play those segments between the in/out markers.
I think it is sited well for all live presentations and education applications.
Read jerry miller's full review
Barry A Farnsworth profile photo
We started with Ustream many years ago. It worked great. We transitioned to IBM when they bought out Ustream. It worked OK for five months and then fell apart. We broadcast all our services at Victory Baptist Church over the web. People can watch from around the world.
  • I can't say it does anything particularly well now, except pass the buck and make excuses as to why their stuff doesn't work.
  • Videos are "jerky." Audio and video are out of synch.
  • Videos uploaded to YouTube now do not have any audio. They blame this on us, but our created product has not changed.
  • Videos that are downloaded are often unuseable because they are so far out of synch that it is distracting.
  • Customer Service's standard response is, "We've contacted engineering." Engineering never answers.
At its present level of service, it's not appropriate at all.
Read Barry A Farnsworth's full review
Michael Sharpe profile photo
We are using USTREAM as a ministry to deliver our church services and special programs to our congregation that are traveling and more importantly to our homebound members. Our members continually tell us what a valuable service and how meaningful this is to them. One of the most important features is the ability to have the services recorded and available on demand to time shift delivery to our congregation and potential members. We have one viewer in another state that is providing a financial donation to help support this ministry.
  • Recording as we are streaming
  • Provides recorded service for later viewing
  • Ubiquitous presence for our live services as well as archived services
  • Currently we are served well with the resources that are provided.
The ease of recording and being able to provide time shifted access to our congregation especially our homebound. The ability to access on desktop, and mobile devices is most appropriate for our use.
Read Michael Sharpe's full review
Neil Singh profile photo
We have been using IBM Watson to stream video for our monthly meetings, and it has been a great hand in recording passed meetings. The history and library can take you back for recorded meetings. I liked that it was cloud-based, and was able to access content anywhere we were, and also that it supports PC and Mac.
  • The video quality is very good.
  • It's good with broadcasting and streaming.
  • The sound quality was good.
  • The pricing was a little too high.
  • Areas with low bandwidth had problems with sound.
  • Support about the product is lacking.
This product is good for a large audience with more than 50 people, or less than that.
Read Neil Singh's full review
Jessica Mullery profile photo
August 23, 2019

Church Live Stream

It is primarily used by our AV Director and his volunteer team and me on the communications side. We use the video streaming to live stream our Sunday worship service to those who are unable to make it in person.
  • Clear video stream
  • Useful metrics
  • Ability to edit videos in the archive
  • Ability to auto-caption videos is a great new feature
  • Love the Call to Action option, but it is distracting to have up the whole time; wish there was a way to choose when/how long it is up.
  • Sometimes support questions take a long time to get answered/solved.
  • We aren't notified of changes to the software which causes things like our website integration to get unexpectedly broken.
  • Cost is pretty high.
Does well with live streaming and keeping an archive, but may be too high of a price tag for some people/organizations. I wonder what the benefit would be of choosing Ustream over a free service like Youtube or Facebook live.
Read Jessica Mullery's full review
Anna Soares profile photo
We use Ustream to allow our clients to remote view research sessions that take place in our facility. Ustream has been consistently reliable, and is very easy to manage. I have not experienced any problems with it.
  • Easy set up
  • Reliable service - no technical issues
  • The layout of the back end could be more intuitive. I change the passwords on the channels very frequently and it takes a few clicks to get there.
It's a good option for clients with multiple office locations, and researchers/designers in multiple locations, all of whom would like to view the research sessions.
Read Anna Soares's full review
Christopher Cantrall profile photo
We use IBM Watson Media to deliver streams in a closed-loop when requested by clients. We never allow open access but always have the videos gated behind a password. IBM Watson Media is used organization-wide and is our only streaming tool, which we use instead of another industry alternatives.
  • Price.
  • Uptime.
  • Ease of use.
  • Ease of sharing.
  • Could use a better domain name.
  • More obvious IBM branding.
  • Better chat functionality.
For simple video presentations, IBM Watson Media really shines. In cases where our clients don’t necessarily need to do anything complex with the videos live, like time-stamping or other live annotation. We like that we can easily share the link and password and get people into the stream quick. The chat functionality is also a client favorite.
Read Christopher Cantrall's full review
John Dezell profile photo
I set up Ustream at my church to broadcast daily church services.

In addition to being a member, I own an audio visual company that installs cameras and video streamers. Since the first installation, we have set up Cerevo streamers for other clients and had them create UStream accounts to broadcast their events.
  • Auto record
  • Great reporting
  • Video editing
  • Lighting control
  • Adding the ability to block unwanted users who rack up viewing hours
Churches- used for sick at home or shut in members who cannot make it to the building for weekly services.
Township board meetings are generally lightly attended. Some towns have public access channels on cable while others do not. Streaming allows smaller municipalities a greater audience reach without having to invest in cable TV access.
Read John Dezell's full review
Joshua Iley profile photo
As an Audio Visual Event services provider, we use IBM Watson Media's Video Streaming for all of our live streaming needs for various clients. There are several factors that we feel make IBM's service the leading choice, including it having a rich, customizable interface, multiple channels, security features. Using the service with multiple corporate clients allows us to offer a customized solution for different clients, while keeping a uniform interface for our technical specialists.
  • Channels - Having a channel that can be customized, and having a single link that can be shared before the event without having to update links to attendees is key. Attendees then being able to access the same link to view past broadcasts is important.
  • Security - Password protection on a channel is great for those looking to have limited access or monetize a stream.
  • Having separate Q&A and chat windows is great. Some events use one or the other, or both.
  • Increased security - I would love to have channels be inaccessible to searches on the website, but still accessible via private link.
  • A separate mobile app that presenters could use just for the Q&A and Chat module would be fantastic.
  • Support for multiple hardware encoders so there could be a failover.
IBM Watson is perfect for webcasts, especially in a corporate environment. It is not well suited for 2 or 3-way web conference-style communication.
Read Joshua Iley's full review
Joel McAfee profile photo
We have used IBM's Ustream for several years to broadcast a corporate event to a large international manufacturing firm - a client of my company. It's being used by my production team and shared with the client's entire international organization across multiple states and countries. Employees from all over US, Canada, Mexico, Japan, and many other countries were able to tune in and view their local team compete in a company wide competition. The software is easy to use, reliable, and an affordable option to establish a private, secure, and dedicated connection for live streaming - something that is integral for this particular situation as privacy & access are major concerns.
  • Privacy Settings - very easy to establish a variety of security levels depending on the project.
  • Publishing features are simple and easy to use. Not only can I publish the stream immediately after the live event is over, but I can upload to youtube directly.
  • Communication - I can talk directly with the viewers of the stream in the event that their are questions or concerns
  • The interface - though easy to use - is a bit dated. It does seem that it could be updated a bit.
  • Browser exclusive streaming - it would be nice if the streaming service could be more directly integrated with streaming services/apps such as Youtube or a Ustream App. Maybe it is, but at the time I used it, i was unfamiliar with this option.
  • Pricing options - though I think it is affordable, it's a bit difficult to determine what level I need to purchase. It might be nice to see more options in terms of pricing.
I found this software to be very well suited for private, corporate production - where live streaming is for internal corporate purposes. The interface would be less useful for conventional entertainment productions for broad audiences as it's lesser known from the user side as a brand. I'd likely use Facebook, YouTube or some other streaming platform for more general public facing live streams.
Read Joel McAfee's full review

Lead generation (31)
6.4
Video personalization (59)
eCommerce (27)
4.2
Support for advertisements (21)
5.5
Video SEO (25)
Integration to Marketing Automation (7)
6.3
Integration to Salesforce.com (2)
6.4
Integration to LMS (2)
Video access controls (75)
User management (71)
Video link sharing (85)
Internal video (68)
External video (73)
Player customization (72)
6.2
Embedded videos (75)
Video quality / Bandwidth controls (83)
9.2
Mobile compatibility (80)
A/B testing (12)
5.8
Streaming quality reports (64)
Per viewer tracking (70)
Per video tracking (70)
Video analytics dashboard (75)
6.3
On-Demand video (60)
Live streaming (86)
Impact of streaming on network (70)
Video upload & format support (74)
Video library / File management (77)
Video portal (58)
Audience polling (33)
6.1
Audience Q&A / Live chat (53)
Video comments (45)

About IBM Watson Media's Video Streaming

IBM Watson Media (formerly IBM Cloud Video) provides an enterprise video solution, powered by Watson AI, for creating, storing, managing, broadcasting and measuring the impact of live and recorded video.

There are two editions:

• IBM Enterprise Video Streaming (private or internal corporate communications)
  • IBM Video Streaming (external events and monetized video streaming)

Both editions include storage, event support, custom branding, content management, multi-user accounts, and real-time analytics. Both are powered by IBM Watson AI for automatic speech to text conversion and automated closed captioning.

IBM Enterprise Video Streaming is an internal video solution that secures video assets for employee use (typically access via single sign-on/corporate directories). Individual viewer tracking measures engagement on a per video or viewer basis. This solution is often used in conjunction with IBM's Enterprise Content Delivery Network (ECDN) offering which does stream splitting and edge caching to help protect the corporate network from the strain of video going across the network.

IBM Video Streaming, an external video solution with optional monetization option, powers video streaming for large external audiences. It offers scalability for massive viewership using the SD-CDN, a software defined content delivery network built with QoS (Quality of Service) in mind to reliably deliver video.

IBM Watson Media's Video Streaming Features

Has featureSupport for advertisements
Has featureVideo SEO
Does not have featureIntegration to Marketing Automation
Video Platform Integrations Features
Does not have featureIntegration to Salesforce.com
Does not have featureIntegration to Marketo
Does not have featureIntegration to HubSpot
Does not have featureIntegration to Eloqua
Does not have featureIntegration to LMS
Video Security Features
Has featureEmbedded videos
Has featureVideo quality / Bandwidth controls
Has featureMobile compatibility
Video Analytics Features
Does not have featureA/B testing
Has featureStreaming quality reports
Has featurePer viewer tracking
Has featurePer video tracking
Has featureVideo analytics dashboard
Video Hosting, Management & Storage Features
Has featureOn-Demand video
Has featureLive streaming
Has featureImpact of streaming on network
Has featureVideo upload & format support
Has featureVideo library / File management
Has featureLive Playlists
Has featureSupport for Professional Encoding/Production Gear
Has featureEnterprise Support Plans
Has featureManaged Event and Production Services
Has featureEnterprise Content Delivery Network (eCDN)

IBM Watson Media's Video Streaming Screenshots

IBM Watson Media's Video Streaming Videos (2)

Watch IBM Cloud Video Streaming Manager Demo

Watch IBM Cloud Video Streaming Manager for Enterprise Demo

IBM Watson Media's Video Streaming Downloadables

IBM Watson Media's Video Streaming Integrations

SDKs and APIs are available.

IBM Watson Media's Video Streaming Competitors

Kaltura, Ooyala Flex Media Platform, Vidyard, Akamai, Brightcove, Microsoft SQL Server StreamInsight, DaCast, Livestream, Qumu, Ramp, vBrick, Kontiki, Onstream, Wowza, Sherpa, movingimage

Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes

Video Streaming edition is available for purchase via credit card online (or via IBM salesperson if needs exceed those outlined in the online plans): https://video.ibm.com/platform/plans Enterprise Video Streaming edition must be purchased from an IBM salesperson: https://info.video.ibm.com/IBM-Watson-Media-Contact.html

IBM Watson Media's Video Streaming Customer Size Distribution