Live streaming (94)
Video link sharing (92)
Video quality / Bandwidth controls (91)
Mobile compatibility (86)
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of IBM Watson Media's Video Streaming, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Would you like us to let the vendor know that you want pricing?
IBM Watson Media (formerly IBM Cloud Video) provides an enterprise video solution, powered by Watson AI, for
creating, storing, managing, broadcasting and measuring the impact of live and
There are two editions:
- IBM Enterprise Video Streaming (private or internal corporate communications)
- IBM Video Streaming (external events and monetized video streaming)
Both editions include storage, event support, custom branding, content management, multi-user accounts, and real-time analytics. Both are powered by IBM Watson AI for automatic speech to text conversion and automated closed captioning.
IBM Enterprise Video Streaming is an internal video solution that secures video assets for employee use (typically access via single sign-on/corporate directories). Individual viewer tracking measures engagement on a per video or viewer basis. This solution is often used in conjunction with IBM's Enterprise Content Delivery Network (ECDN) offering which does stream splitting and edge caching to help protect the corporate network from the strain of video going across the network.
IBM Video Streaming, an external video solution with optional monetization option, powers video streaming for large
external audiences. It offers scalability for massive viewership using the SD-CDN, a software
defined content delivery network built with QoS (Quality of Service) in mind to
reliably deliver video.
- Supported: Lead generation
- Supported: Video personalization
- Supported: Audience for distribution
- Supported: eCommerce
- Supported: Support for advertisements
- Supported: Video SEO
- Supported: Video access controls
- Supported: User management
- Supported: SSO support
- Supported: Password protection
- Supported: Video link sharing
- Supported: Embed restrictions
- Supported: Internal video
- Supported: External video
- Supported: Player customization
- Supported: Embedded videos
- Supported: Video quality / Bandwidth controls
- Supported: Mobile compatibility
- Supported: Streaming quality reports
- Supported: Per viewer tracking
- Supported: Per video tracking
- Supported: Video analytics dashboard
- Supported: On-Demand video
- Supported: Live streaming
- Supported: Impact of streaming on network
- Supported: Video upload & format support
- Supported: Video library / File management
- Supported: Video portal
- Supported: Video downloads
- Supported: Video editing
- Supported: High definition support
- Supported: Closed captioning / Transcription
- Supported: Audience polling
- Supported: Audience Q&A / Live chat
- Supported: Video comments
- Supported: Scalability
- Supported: Enterprise Security
- Supported: Quality of Service
- Supported: Integrated Content Management
- Supported: Multi-CDN Delivery via SD-CDN
- Supported: Cloud-based Transcoding
- Supported: Social Sharing with Facebook and Twitter Integration
- Supported: Integrated Chat
- Supported: Live Analytics Dashboard
- Supported: Auto-Recording
- Supported: Custom Branding
- Supported: Lead Capture
- Supported: Live Playlists
- Supported: Support for Professional Encoding/Production Gear
- Supported: Enterprise Support Plans
- Supported: Managed Event and Production Services
- Supported: Enterprise Content Delivery Network (eCDN)
- SDKs and APIs are available.
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||15%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||50%|
|Enterprises (more than 500 employees)||35%|
|Mobile Application||Apple iOS, Android, Mobile Web|
- Pre-taped/scheduled videos
- Providing access to specific video content over a certain period of time (e.g., limiting access to a video for a week or a month)
- Provides gated features so access to content can be restricted or emails/viewer information can be collected.
- Extensive metrics to determine video reach/viewership, which proves great for reporting to marketing departments.
- Videos you do not mind having available anytime
- A library of content that you do not wish to place behind an access gate
- One area of improvement on the platform is the ability to customize confirmation email send outs to video registrants.
[updated review on 10/2020: IBM has very solid streaming infrastructure in place, and a live stream very seldom has any issues. But many other aspects of their streaming service has had significant glitches recently. If you're a "whale" customer looking to spend $50K a year or more on streaming, IBM may serve you well. But if you're a small to medium-sized business who wants to significantly over-pay for IBM Video's so-called self-serve, or "metal" plans, you will find great customer support but significantly lacking engineering support and product management. You could probably get a much better deal with Vimeo and other vendors in the sub-$15K annual range.]
There is no obvious security, so confidential data cannot be streamed using this service.
For a "quick and dirty" solution, this works well.
Anything that needs a "white label" player embedded.
Not suitible for:
AGMs, stock holder meetings or anything that requires stats or registration and automatic reminder emails for attendees, Check the webinar add on on zoom.us, this service provides all this but the video quality and requirement to download their program is confusing and annoying to attendees.
Less appropriate: large streaming events (10k+ viewers), where analytics are core to your measurement of success. ULL streaming situations. I'm not aware of native app player support.
Sound quality could be improved. The service is mostly plug and play. When data limits are reached streaming shuts off. Users need basic understanding of editing. Could use more tutorials. Changing text is not intuitive. Menus options could be clearer.