Reviews (1-5 of 5)
February 25, 2020
Score 5 out of 10
Real-Time Personalization (RTP) is being used exclusively by our Marketing department. It's primarily being used for its pop-up functionality, although we have considered using it inline. The main goal we sought to address with RTP was driving more people to our demos, serving up industry-specific content, and drawing attention to new content or events.
- Segmented pop-up capabilities.
- Time-sensitive customization.
- Building segments is harder than it should be and you can only create simplistic segments.
- Building overlays (pop-ups) needs to be done outside of the tool and default selections look dated.
Read this authenticated review
If you're already using Marketo and you want to personalize your website, you might as well give this a shot. Be prepared to use it for every scenario you can though (i.e. inline and widget) because if you just intend to use it for the pop-up functionality, there are much cheaper options out there. Honestly, this is a lot like other Marketo products where the idea is good, but it seems like little investment has been made in the overall functionality or usability since it first launched. Designing anything for Marketo is a pain in the butt and they don't make it any easier. Additionally, it also has the same problem other Marketo data does that you end up getting a lot of ISP information, even if you tell it not to collect that data.
January 15, 2019
Score 8 out of 10
We use part of Marketo's real-time automation tools for market campaigns, templated programming/marketing, and some lead generation and tracking for the lead lifecycle, and custom API tools/scripts to further integrate Marketo RTP into our sales/marketing workflows. We also have some marketing integrations that work together with some of SalesForce's products.
- Ultra-customization - Marketo has amazing customizability, very good API functionality and documentation, which allows for seamless integration into almost any marketing- or sales-related workflow.
- Great UI - Marketo has a beautiful, intuitive UI, making this tool very enjoyable to use.
- ROI Tracking - Marketo comes with ROI tracking for sales right out of the box, this is a *super* helpful tool.
- Expensive - Marketo is quite expensive for early-stage companies, it is a tough sell for most startups, although the ROI tracking does help seeing whether a tool like this is worth it.
- Gets slow/clunky as your increase usage - Not sure if this is specific to our platform, but I have heard this complaint from others as well.
- Setting this tool up can take a while. There are screens that have an overwhelming amount of menus and data, so it does take a bit of time to set this up and integrate into a workflow.
Read Fedor Paretsky's full review
Marketo RTP is great for companies in later stages that require greater customization or API integrations with their own marketing/sales tools. The integration with Salesforce also makes it worthwhile for companies that already have Salesforce setup in some workflows. As stated before, Marketo is quite expensive, so it might not be suitable for earlier-stage companies and startups that are just getting started with marketing and sales.
January 22, 2016
Score 9 out of 10
Marketo Real-Time Personalization is primarily used in the marketing organization at BetterWorks. It helps us personalize the website experience for our target accounts; analyze the target accounts' activity on our site; figure out what content resonates the best with different personas, and A/B test marketing messages. We have the recommendation bar on our website and blog, a bunch of geo-targeted campaigns for promoting events, industry targeted campaigns on the homepage and various short term promotions.
- Named account targeting. There is a whole module dedicated to Named Accounts with some neat analytics, such as figuring out where they are in the buying cycle.
- Segmentation of website visitors. You can specify any audience you'd like, based on any characteristic or Marketo field you have.
- Seamless integration. When the visitors are on your site they are not aware that they are being targeted - the experience they have is truly seamless.
- Analytics needs improvement. There is no way to look at the data for multiple months/quarters at a time.
- Target URLs functionality is a bit wonky. Would love more helpful tips on how to use it.
- Needs better integration with different advertising platforms for retargeting.
Read Masha Finkelstein's full review
Anybody who is trying to do any customization of their website for different target audiences would benefit from it. Also if you are trying to do more account based marketing, Marketo Real-Time Personalization is a great tool to help with that. I love using it for geo-targeted campaigns - i.e. an event that is coming up on the West coast that shows up only to the West coast website visitors.
October 09, 2017
In a nutshell: Robust Functionality + Insufficient Documentation + No Training Materials = Underutilized Tools & (Very) Frustrated Users
Score 6 out of 10
We leverage Marketo's Real-Time Personalization (RTP) module to deliver personalized content to our website visitors based on targeting criteria that we set (i.e. known vs. unknown visitor, on-site activity, etc.).
- RTP empowers organizations to create personalized experiences for website visitors at scale to increase engagement, conversions, etc.
- Out-of-the-box RTP campaign templates allow for quick setup & launch
- Ability to save custom campaign templates makes this a scalable solution for advanced marketing teams
- Lack of training materials, support (even at the premier level), internal expertise (a majority of those I've spoken to with Marketo aren't very knowledgeable about RTP functionality, use cases, etc.), and basic documentation
- As with a majority of Marketo's modules, the robust functionality tends to overwhelm even the most experienced marketers.
- In a nutshell: Robust Functionality + Insufficient Documentation + No Training = Underutilized Tools & (Very) Frustrated Customers
Read this authenticated review
March 30, 2017
Score 9 out of 10
Marketo Real Time Personalization is being used by our marketing department to create easily (read quickly) launched campaigns on our website to target individuals who fit into certain categories. Our website is visited by several type of users; Marketo users looking for information, prospects looking for Marketo services and training, and local students/job prospects. By using Marketo Real-Time Personalization's reverse IP lookup we are able to categorize these different users based on their behaviors on our website. From there, we can target them with specific messaging to encourage them to take the specific action we desire from them. This allows our marketing team to increase conversions in each of these areas, by using targeted specific messaging.
- Segment website users into qualifying groups.
- Target segmented groups based on multiple aspects.
- Campaign generation through their UI.
- Measurement of campaign success.
- AB testing of campaigns.
- Additional features could be added to the Rich Text Editor in the campaign builder to make it more user friendly.
- Segmenting users based on behaviors or demographic info that is not available out of the box.
- Integrating with GA or SiteCatalyst provides a lot of insight into the segments that could be made readily available inside the RTP UX.
Read this authenticated review
For any company looking to target specific sub-groups with different messaging than other sub-groups, Marketo Real-Time Personalization is the way to go. If a company is not interested in adjusting the appropriateness of a call to action or business benefit for the specific person reading it, then RTP is not for them. Real-Time Personalization fits really when in organizations that are using an account based marketing strategy.
Marketo RTP Scorecard Summary
About Marketo RTP
Marketo Real-Time Personalization (RTP) is a real-time interaction management option based on technology acquired with Insightera in December 2013 by Marketo.
Categories: Real-Time Interaction Management
Marketo RTP Technical Details