Monetate is a website optimization and personalization product. The company offers a strong product tailored to the needs of e-commerce and retailers. Customers are mostly enterprise brands.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/EN/2t/7AALPRLAT012.JPEGGood tool for creating promotions, adding badges to the products and create a lis of relevant itemsI worked with Monetate as part of the Marketing team. The tool was used by our department only. It allowed to set up customized, location-based banners for the home page informing visitors about changes in the local stores addresses and other changes; to create special promotions and perform A/B testings of their wording; to create and insert sale budges; to add lists of recommended products.,It has great customer segmentation capability It allows to use html, css, and javascript to create promotions It has good analytical tools It is intuitive even for a novice,Sometimes it is hard to find what you are looking for (for example, how to export data) The way of specifying pages on which promotion should be displayed could be improved It is hard to organize promotions,9,Increases insight into promotions effect Increased customer satisfaction via improving their knowledge about stores changed hours and locations More precisely targeted marketing,9,9,5,9,5,Specifying a target audience Specifying products to add badges to Scheduling promotions,Specifying pages where the promotion or badges should appear,9Easy to use, Effective and Great Customer ServiceHaving used Monetate in a previous role, followed by an alternative A/B and personalisation platform, I was so glad to move back to Monetate at my current company. The interface is intuitive. The customer support is fast and friendly, and usually my problem is resolved with the first couple of emails. Far superior to any other platform I've used in my time as a CRO and UX professional and actually very competitive on price. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Monetate as my first choice of personalisation and testing platform in a move to a new company that didn't currently utilise testing tools due to how easy it is to become acquainted with the tool. I also remember, at my previous workplace, Monetate were happy to come in and run training sessions which were very valuable. Their conferences and events have also been informative and enlightening, in my experience.,Customer service - Their customer service is far better than any of their competitors that I've used in the past. I've had detailed coding help and suggestions to improve experiences within hours of lodging a support ticket. Intuitive interface - The action builder is so easy to use, even if you don't have a good grasp on HTML/CSS and makes it possible to get launch experiences quickly which is important in a retail environment where things are so changeable. Analytics - The speed at which detailed information comes in about whether an experience is performing is great and the level of detail makes it possible to provide business cases to key project stakeholders efficiently.,Lack of ability to move experiences to another folder if you're on the main experience page - This has bugged me for ages because we do a lot of experience duplication for different campaigns every month and it would be easier if you could duplicate and move folders on the same page. Mass content upload. I may just be missing this feature somewhere but I've never been able to upload more than one piece of content at once and it's quite frustrating. More Manchester based events. This one is obviously specific to my location and I understand why London is the hub for events but it would be nice to have more frequent opportunities to liaise with other Monetate users locally.,10,Conversion rate increase AOV increase, specifically in the case of experiments with exit intent pop-ups and recommended product additions Wider acceptance of CRO within the business as important to overall goals,10,10,10,10Great Decision for Marketing Team!We use Monetate primarily in the UX/CX and site merchandising departments, but we've also created experiences for other channels like email marketing, paid search, and display ads. Additionally, we have "fixes" for bugs that aren't able to be immediately addressed by web dev. And finally, we have experiences to address prioritization of new features that are still in the development backlog.,Our Monetate team is amazing! They taught us well, are quick to answer questions, and are very organized to keep us on track. Simple-to-use interface makes it easy for business users to set up experiences with little to no web dev assistance. We've gotten some great ideas out of the Insight reports our team has provided. Some of them we tested already, and others inspired even more ideas!,We'd like to be able to use the Monetate resources to help us set up tests that require web dev (to get it out of our backlog), but they also have wait times similar to our internal ones. I realize resources are hard to come by, but this is an area we'd love to be able to utilize more if the turnaround were quicker. IE is always a problem. I know it's not Monetate-specific though, and many tools struggle with IE. We have a large percentage of our users who use IE, and I'd like to provide more experiences in IE without and additional hassle.,10,We've had great results with our tests! We've seen a solid ROI on most, and we've been able to identify areas we shouldn't be investing resources into. Our teams have really pulled together to come up with ideas and test them. Putting a monetary amount on new features has helped the company understand the value of web dev, CX/UX, and marketing campaigns.,10,8,10,9,8Better than the Other Guys!Monetate is used primarily within our eCommerce division, providing personalization for direct navigation, email, direct mail-to-digital, and display advertisement visitors. In most cases, we are using Monetate to execute A/B tests, but we have also used it to create quick patches for styling issues on the site to circumvent time restrictions caused when going through traditional code updates.,The reps are extremely timely in their responses and knowledgeable about the system. Monetate has a WYSIWYG system for making changes on web pages that is extremely easy to use. Reporting is clear and easy to share with others.,Some DIV tags cannot be selected in ActionBuilder and there is no explanation in the interface as to why that is. The dataset upload tool errors out sometimes, but when you click "View Error", nothing happens. When using JavaScript in ActionBuilder, sometimes it continuously fires even after closing ActionBuilder and reopening it. For example, redirect Javascript entered in ActionBuilder fires as soon as ActionBuilder is opened to edit the action.,9,We've tested new product listing page layouts that convert better. Intelligent Personalization (IFE) can have a negative impact if the wrong goal is selected. There is no direct goal to optimize for revenue. We report to the president of the company the lift for each fiscal month.,8,9,6,10,6Very powerful testing toolWe use Monetate to test how well our product display pages convert against 2 different layouts, test conversion rate of our existing menu layout versus a radically different style, test how different promotional banner styles convert against each other, display different product images on our homepage based on a visitor's region/weather/major event, and so many other aspects of our site which has helped us really start understanding our audience better - what works and what doesn't - and apply that across our site and in other areas of our business such as email.,You can test virtually ANYTHING on your website. Once you know what you're doing, it is really easy to upload assets and really customize the details of your test. If you have multiple websites, you can keep all of your website tests separate - for example, we manage two separate brands, both which have 3 environments we can set up tests in: development, staging, and production environments. So, we can easily manage 6 separate test groups and store the various content in the proper section, very easily. The design is really clean and easy to navigate. It is easy to organize and filter your experiments, you can tag them to make filtering a lot easier (especially when you have a bunch of experiments running at the same time), and the simple function of duplicating an experiment makes minor changes to a grand experiment SO much quicker. The Monetate Inspector tool (I could be using the wrong word, sorry!) also allows you to far more easily identify the unique ID of an experiment so you can find it in Monetate and make any desired changes rather than sifting one by one through your various experiments trying to figure out which one you mean to edit.,The learning curve is a little steep, especially if you're unfamiliar with HTML/CSS. The tool is so powerful but can be overwhelming at first. The intro instructional videos/content is helpful but it doesn't cover everything. We needed to partner with an optimization company to better understand the tool and get started. Setting up an experiment for the first time isn't simple when you're a marketer who is inexperienced with any sort of web development or even just HTML/CSS. While you can easily select the area you want to create a test with, you don't have a way to easily manipulate that section without the use of HTML/CSS. The first optimization company Monetate recommended us to was horrible - it really was awful working with them. We had dedicated (paid for!) hours that got wasted after the company wasted our time in each meeting (when we did have one - they often needed to reschedule) and they barely knew what our company even did despite multiple meetings. Those hours, despite the awful experience, were never fulfilled, never reimbursed, never carried over to the new (and far better) company. This left a bad taste in my mouth. While I really like this product and it does everything we need, this awful experience and lack of ownership on their end was highly disappointing. We are moving forward though - and happy with our results.,9,We are really starting to understand our audience and what they prefer on our website. One example is on our product display pages, we learned that our visitors convert about 35% more when content is laid out in one fashion versus another. Another example is our promotional banners perform better when it takes up the width of the page versus the margins pulled in more. At first, Monetate was a negative ROI - we were paying for a service we weren't getting, and not understanding the full power of the program. With the new optimization firm however, we are now really able to churn out more tests, have a clean and direct test plan, and finally seeing tangible results. As an aside, Monetate has helped us just save time and money on creating our promotional banners now so we don't have to get with our development team each time we want to put one up. Even without running a test, it has let us add content to our site when we need to (as we already have the experiments set up as we need it to and we can quickly duplicate it) without our developers getting in there to make those short-lived changes.,10,10,10,10,10
Monetate

Monetate Reviews

Monetate
TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019
Showing 52 of 107 Monetate ratings and reviews.

Irina Danilova profile photo
January 15, 2019

Monetate Review: "Good tool for creating promotions, adding badges to the products and create a lis of relevant items"

• It has great customer segmentation capability
  • It allows to use html, css, and javascript to create promotions
  • It has good analytical tools
  • It is intuitive even for a novice
  • Sometimes it is hard to find what you are looking for (for example, how to export data)
  • The way of specifying pages on which promotion should be displayed could be improved
  • It is hard to organize promotions
Monetate is a great tool when you need to run a promotion and analyze it's performance. It is also very good (although a bit time consuming) in building lists of related products or displaying information that is location-specific.
Read Irina Danilova's full review
Laura Neil profile photo
December 20, 2018

Monetate Review: "Easy to use, Effective and Great Customer Service"

• Customer service - Their customer service is far better than any of their competitors that I've used in the past. I've had detailed coding help and suggestions to improve experiences within hours of lodging a support ticket.
  • Intuitive interface - The action builder is so easy to use, even if you don't have a good grasp on HTML/CSS and makes it possible to get launch experiences quickly which is important in a retail environment where things are so changeable.
  • Analytics - The speed at which detailed information comes in about whether an experience is performing is great and the level of detail makes it possible to provide business cases to key project stakeholders efficiently.
  • Lack of ability to move experiences to another folder if you're on the main experience page - This has bugged me for ages because we do a lot of experience duplication for different campaigns every month and it would be easier if you could duplicate and move folders on the same page.
  • Mass content upload. I may just be missing this feature somewhere but I've never been able to upload more than one piece of content at once and it's quite frustrating.
  • More Manchester based events. This one is obviously specific to my location and I understand why London is the hub for events but it would be nice to have more frequent opportunities to liaise with other Monetate users locally.
I would recommend Monetate to a business that wants to get set up with testing and personalisation quickly, with the knowledge that they can get the support they need to learn the tool but don't need to be web developers to use it.

I would also say that in the case of wanting to set up very specific experiments, Monetate is very useful as the targeting can be quite complex and there is the ability to integrate with other applications as well as set up custom targets.
Read Laura Neil's full review
December 20, 2018

Monetate Review: "Great Decision for Marketing Team!"

• Our Monetate team is amazing! They taught us well, are quick to answer questions, and are very organized to keep us on track.
  • Simple-to-use interface makes it easy for business users to set up experiences with little to no web dev assistance.
  • We've gotten some great ideas out of the Insight reports our team has provided. Some of them we tested already, and others inspired even more ideas!
  • We'd like to be able to use the Monetate resources to help us set up tests that require web dev (to get it out of our backlog), but they also have wait times similar to our internal ones. I realize resources are hard to come by, but this is an area we'd love to be able to utilize more if the turnaround were quicker.
  • IE is always a problem. I know it's not Monetate-specific though, and many tools struggle with IE.
  • We have a large percentage of our users who use IE, and I'd like to provide more experiences in IE without and additional hassle.
I've used different testing systems, and Monetate is simple-to-use. I've been able to train interns who'd previously had little experience, too.
More complicated tests require web dev. I'd like to be able to "safely" shift and style elements in a WYSIWYG interface, but the interface provides most of what I want.
December 21, 2018

Monetate Review: "Better than the Other Guys!"

• The reps are extremely timely in their responses and knowledgeable about the system.
  • Monetate has a WYSIWYG system for making changes on web pages that is extremely easy to use.
  • Reporting is clear and easy to share with others.
  • Some DIV tags cannot be selected in ActionBuilder and there is no explanation in the interface as to why that is.
  • The dataset upload tool errors out sometimes, but when you click "View Error", nothing happens.
  • When using JavaScript in ActionBuilder, sometimes it continuously fires even after closing ActionBuilder and reopening it. For example, redirect Javascript entered in ActionBuilder fires as soon as ActionBuilder is opened to edit the action.
Monetate is good for quick changes on the site and simple tests. Complex tests requiring extensive web development can be difficult to execute by business users.
Steffany Winkelmann profile photo
September 12, 2018

Monetate Review: "Very powerful testing tool"

• You can test virtually ANYTHING on your website. Once you know what you're doing, it is really easy to upload assets and really customize the details of your test.
  • If you have multiple websites, you can keep all of your website tests separate - for example, we manage two separate brands, both which have 3 environments we can set up tests in: development, staging, and production environments. So, we can easily manage 6 separate test groups and store the various content in the proper section, very easily.
  • The design is really clean and easy to navigate. It is easy to organize and filter your experiments, you can tag them to make filtering a lot easier (especially when you have a bunch of experiments running at the same time), and the simple function of duplicating an experiment makes minor changes to a grand experiment SO much quicker.
  • The Monetate Inspector tool (I could be using the wrong word, sorry!) also allows you to far more easily identify the unique ID of an experiment so you can find it in Monetate and make any desired changes rather than sifting one by one through your various experiments trying to figure out which one you mean to edit.
  • The learning curve is a little steep, especially if you're unfamiliar with HTML/CSS. The tool is so powerful but can be overwhelming at first. The intro instructional videos/content is helpful but it doesn't cover everything. We needed to partner with an optimization company to better understand the tool and get started.
  • Setting up an experiment for the first time isn't simple when you're a marketer who is inexperienced with any sort of web development or even just HTML/CSS. While you can easily select the area you want to create a test with, you don't have a way to easily manipulate that section without the use of HTML/CSS.
  • The first optimization company Monetate recommended us to was horrible - it really was awful working with them. We had dedicated (paid for!) hours that got wasted after the company wasted our time in each meeting (when we did have one - they often needed to reschedule) and they barely knew what our company even did despite multiple meetings. Those hours, despite the awful experience, were never fulfilled, never reimbursed, never carried over to the new (and far better) company. This left a bad taste in my mouth. While I really like this product and it does everything we need, this awful experience and lack of ownership on their end was highly disappointing. We are moving forward though - and happy with our results.
If your business is online and you have pages your visitors will interact with, Monetate can be a huge asset. You can test virtually anything! But if you don't have much capital to use, Monetate will be an expensive investment that you won't see ROI on for at least a few months. If your site is simple and more informational (i.e., no offer pages, informational-only site, etc.), Monetate will still work for you but it'll be really hard to determine ROI and make your money back.
Read Steffany Winkelmann's full review
January 18, 2018

Monetate Review: "Great testing platform"

Monetate is mostly used by our marketing & merchandising team. Monetate is used for A/B testing in a variety of different ways. We use Monetate to test customize homepages, new site features and more to better understand how our customers use our website.It helps our team change the website without using other departments for help.
  • Monetate does well with showing us the impact of a test in a clear, detailed way. There are many different tests that can be done in Monetate and the results can be broken down by conversion, bounce rate, add to cart rate etc. This has helped us create the best possible experience for our customers.
  • Monetate has tons of variety of different ways you can optimize a website. From badging, product cross-sells, navigation changes and product changes, it's now easy to completely change a portion of the website without having to go to IT for help.
  • Monetate saves and archives all tests, even after they are completed. It's nice to have the option to look at what we did the past month or year and have the results saved as well.
  • Monetate can be difficult to learn at first. I think having a clear way to access how-to guides or videos would help employees learn the tool faster.
  • A small criticism but Monetate doesn't allow you to delete any experiences. It can make the platform a bit messy because there are times where we practice creating experiences and now they can't be deleted.
Monetate is great if you're looking to create content that's targeted to specific people or places. We have done this before on occasion and have targeted different images based on customer history with us. We have also used this many times in testing between new and returning customers. Monetate is also great for creating quick website experience changes and seeing how they affect users.
Erik Ickes profile photo
July 28, 2017

Monetate Review: "We're new users but mostly happy with it so far."

We use Monetate to customize our site based on known personas within the education sector (teachers, administrators, district buyers) and to market our geographically specific workshops to visitors within range of an event.
  • Easy to use interface.
  • Seamless for the end user.
  • SEO is not affected.
  • Personalized site means greater retention and interest.
  • Doesn't always work with active or JS controlled elements on the site.
  • We use a lot of support hours to implement experiences.
It's great for straightforward swapping and moving of elements and has a nice set of pre-built experiences that make it ready right out of the box. There is also very little setup involved.

We haven't found it that effective for converting for revenue in our market but we are not in a traditional e-commerce business. A normal retail site would see bigger benefits that we do.
Read Erik Ickes's full review
August 17, 2017

User Review: "Monetate - 4 Stars!"

Monetate is being used by one department, the internet marketing department. We currently utilize the Open-time Email, Product Recs, and Onsite Content. With Monetate we are able to achieve a more personalized experience for visitors based on browsing behavior, purchase behavior, geo-targeting, weather forecast, etc. We are also able to target new vs. returning visitors, device type, and so many other options we haven't even explored yet. None of which we were able to do on our current platform.
  • Monetate's knowledge base has been so helpful! Before I send an email to our rep, I always search the knowledge base first and most answers you'll find there!
  • During implementation, there are detailed check-lists on next steps. Being the project leader I found this extremely helpful. Mostly because it was easy to delegate items to the team and everyone was held responsible for their part of the implementation timeline.
  • Monetate provides training modules to get you familiar with setting up Experiences prior to a formal training. We all found this helpful because we had came to formal training with questions about specific use cases.
  • Once you get in the UI it's extremely easy to navigate - this was something we were really excited about. We wanted the UI to be business user friendly and it completely met our expectations.
  • There seems to be very limited targeting options in Open-time Email. Onsite content has much more robust options in targeting.
  • Our rep and platform consultant aren't as responsive to questions and insights as we hoped they would be. We expect answers from them within the same day and sometimes it's days before I have to follow-up on where this is at.
  • There are limitations on measuring the true success of personalized emails. The only email analytics you see in the UI are on the clicks on the Monetate creative. We would like to know whether someone saw the personalized content and then clicked in the header or footer in the email template. Unfortunately there's no way to achieve that in Monetate. You would have to utilize your ESP to A/B test and determine the true success of a personalized email.
Monetate is well suited for personalizing onsite content. We are currently replacing content with brand affinities, category affinities, new vs. returning customers and it's doing very well. We have found it super difficult setting up personalized email campaigns. We believe that email is a new thing Monetate is new to. There are not as many targeting options as there are in Onsite Content, it's hard to measure the success of the personalized content, we still have out-standing questions on email click zones, etc.
July 28, 2017

User Review: "The State of Monetate"

Monetate is being used for E-commerce [website] which could be considered just one department, but on the other hand is all it could be used for (our buyers or photographers certainly couldn't get anything out of it.) The primary problem it addresses for us is easy execution of A/B tests of changes to the website. It provides other tools such as analytics and recommendation carousels, but those are otherwise available as-good or better; its A/B testing is top-notch though.
  • A/B Testing is #1 with a bullet. It can do virtually anything and gives robust data comparing groups, plus you can add new, custom metrics on top. Not to say improvements couldn't be made, though. In particular the way they handle multi-group tests is sub-optimal.
  • Badging is also useful, though more as a convenience than a necessity, as it'd be easy enough to create the effect without them. Their implementation is simple enough that our production team can change them on their own, without any dev support.
  • Some of their provided widgets aren't made with speed in mind, which critical in these increasingly mobile based days. For example, we had a recommendation carousel at the bottom of the homepage with 5 starting images (screen width allowing) that by default populated 8 pages of products--40 images total. It loaded them immediately as part of page load. It should wait until the widget scrolls into view, or the 'more' arrow is tapped.
  • Their staffing seems to be in some upheaval currently. We had one great CSM for a long time, but now in the last year we've had at least 3 different ones (I can't even remember them all), some for as little as a month.
  • Placing a widget on a page at any point other than immediately (such as only after scrolling a certain distance, or inside an opened modal) is extremely difficult currently.
+Its A/B tests are the best I've seen.
+Its insertable product carousels are good if you don't have any other source for such things. However they only display basic groups like a given category or best sellers, which leave them inferior to AI learning recommendations such as Sales Force's Einstein.
+Badging is easy to use if it needs to be handled by someone non-technical. "Just paste the SKUs in this text box" is pretty easy to understand.
-Its general analytics outside of comparing test groups are severely lacking, falling far behind even the basic level of Google Analytics, for example. (Though GA's A/B testing feature is garbage, so having both is a good complement.)
September 22, 2017

User Review: "Personalization with Monetate"

We use Monetate to personalize and test experiences for different customers. It is being used by our E-commerce department Monetate addresses the different behaviors we can expect from our customer database.
  • A/B tests
  • Personalization
  • Great customer support
  • Better UX. Dashboard can be overwhelming.
  • Offer training sessions to utilize the platform.
  • Offer a mobile app.
Monetate is great to utilize to discover/address different customer behaviors on site. However, it can be difficult to utilize if you don't have the resources and are not well versed in coding.
September 18, 2017

Monetate Review: "Room for Improvement"

It is being used in the e-commerce department for the customer experience team. It addresses customer experience issues within our direct to consumer website.
  • Client services - quick to respond to issues
  • Forward looking initiatives - early access program allows clients to test out new services
  • Training documentation - educational webinars available about how to use
  • Need dev support - web development expertise is required in order to set up tests actions.
  • QA process - they seem to test on simulators which causes issues with mobile actions and experiences. We often have to send work for further QA.
  • Client-focused - focus is on monetate, not on client. Pushes programs that might not make sense for a client in order to further new products.
Monetate is well suited for a larger testing and optimization team that has internal web development support. For lean teams without much expertise, it might not be the best option. It takes 2-4 weeks for Monetate to set up actions, so it is not the best vendor for agile groups working at a fast pace.
August 11, 2017

Monetate Review: "User friendly, flexible, marketing tool."

Monetate is being used across our Marketing department to enhance the customer experience. It is being used for targeting customers with specific promotion messaging, testing offers / creative / functionality, and lightbox messaging. It allows us to target specific customers with relevant messaging to optimize orders, traffic and revenue.
  • Monetate is very user friendly, which allows multiple departments to use the tool and be self sufficient.
  • I feel Monetate is fit our needs perfectly, so can't think of anything I would have done differently.
Monetate is great for smaller teams in that you have help from Monetate (tech, strategy, etc) and it's very intuitive, so you don't have to be a rocket scientist to use the tool or code things. Once our tech team sets it up, we're good to go using it.
August 09, 2017

Review: "Monetate has been a great UX resource for our team"

We use Monetate at my company to A/B test different experiences on our sites. Monetate allows us to back up our UX with data. Monetate proved most helpful while testing our checkout. We have multiple sites at my company, and we were able to use Monetate to flip the site tests on one by one.
  • Good project managers. They keep constant contact.
  • Good support. We have had great experience with their support team.
  • The way Monetate displays data makes it easy to read and understand.
  • More in depth help on formulating ideas to test.
It allows you to base UX off of data rather than just a gut feeling. They display the data in a way that is easy to read and understand.
July 31, 2017

Monetate Review: "Solid tool but problematic for those outside of ecommerce space"

Monetate is being used by the marketing department to test landing pages, e-commerce flows, introduce and test new experiences on our websites, and serve layer ads. Development resources are tight, so Monetate allows us to iterate on our current e-commerce and site experiences and only push those experiences through to development once they've proved valuable.
  • Serve layer ads with advanced targeting
  • Run multivariate tests with advanced targeting and segmentation
  • Easily customize onsite experience based on advanced targeting
  • Services have been an issue. The business model has changed, and services once handled by Monetate are now being outsourced. Lots of turnover on the account and services side.
  • Initial integration was painful. For full integration with our e-commerce flows, we had to add instrumented tagging. The initial integration did not meet our needs but it took a full year to realize that. Integration might not be as simple as they pitch.
  • Full page A/B testing always seemed more complicated than it should be.
For a more simple website with a shopping cart and for a user who doesn't need a lot of services, this is a good tool. The user interface is intuitive and with some effort, someone can become pretty self-sufficient with the tool. The tool would be especially useful for those who are in the e-commerce space.
July 28, 2017

Monetate Review: "Great testing platform"

We use Monetate mainly to customize user experiences, feature promotions and test different UX elements. Secondarily, it is extremely helpful as a quick deployment tool, circumventing the development process for quick fixes and adjustments. The tool is used by the Tech and Marketing teams, but we communicate possible visual changes to the website to other departments, such as Customer Services.
  • Great for testing - over the time we use the tool the constant improvements in reporting make easy to share results with the rest of the team and promote successful experiments, as well as learn from failures.
  • Easy and extensible interface - the tool is both easy to use and at the same time provides the possibility of extending a particular action for advanced users.
  • Setting up custom metrics is easy and very helpful if you have specific goals in mind.
  • Targeting URL variables not always works properly
  • Targeting javascript variables could be improved (localStore objects for example won't work)
  • In experiences, targeting construction could have more complex, nested, logic constructors - right now it only allows AND or OR - this makes it hard when you have multiple conditions for the target building process
Monetate is great if you have a good idea of testing cases and your team is able to implement it, which can be challenging. It is also very helpful for Tech teams as a quick deployment / testing / bug fix tool. Monetate is as useful as your team gets involved with the idea of testing different interface elements in order to provide the best experience possible to your users.
July 26, 2017

Monetate Review: "Excellent at the basics, but very expensive."

We use Monetate primarily to conduct A/B testing across several departments. It's incredibly useful in this regard as well as to make on-the-fly changes to our site that would otherwise require lots of time and additional expense.
  • Testing
  • Custom code injection
  • Personalization: users are not always placed in the correct segments.
  • Too expensive
  • New features rolled out as add-ons that really should just be included in base package.
Monetate is very good at many things, especially the basic A/B and multivariate testing. But there are still some issues with the more advanced features, like the 1-to-1 personalization. For the cost I expect it to be a more polished product.
Parker Block profile photo
September 11, 2015

"Monetate Review from Director of E-Commerce"

Monetate is being used by the e-commerce teams for two sites which I manage. It enables us to improve conversion and average order value by testing creative and promotional messaging, target messaging to consumers based on behavior and demographic segment, and cross-sell merchandise. Monetate also enables the teams to make quick changes to the site and avoid the time consuming ordeal of submitting tickets to developers and waiting for response and resolution.
  • The UI is intuitive. With very little training team members start using the tools.
  • It is versatile - a testing, targeting, a second CMS, and recommendation engine which can be used virtually anywhere on the site.
  • It is light. Integration is fast and does not slow down site speed. We even use Monetate to test certain 3P functionality, integrating through Monetate and testing the application to validate impact on site KPI rather than just integrating the 3P directly into the platform.
  • Client Services team very proactive in helping our team identify opportunities and get quick results. Also very responsive when we need to use Monetate to quickly address issues affecting the business.
  • Continuous improvement in predictive analytics.
A tool such as Monetate can impact the businesses most if it is able to leverage multiple sources of first and third party data. I would discuss in the evaluation process the best ways for integrating and leveraging those data sources in a way that is scalable. If your team does not yet have a culture of testing, it is worth discussing what organization is required to leverage the tool.
Read Parker Block's full review
Richard Preciado profile photo
December 23, 2015

Monetate Review: "Simple to use, Simple to see results!"

We use Monetate for three purposes, A/B testing, targeted dynamic content and segmentation, and on the fly changes to our sites.

It is so nice to be able to answer the question "What happens if we ....?" We have not come across an idea yet that we have not been able to test in some fashion using Monetate. Personalizing our site by customer, recognizing how they found us, and displaying content relevant to them is not only possible, it's relatively easy. Hardest part is usually coming up with the creative. Being able to quickly add a block of text where you don't currently have a div setup is amazing.

You don't need to be and expert programmer to make real changes to the look and feel of your site.
  • Ease of segmentation.
  • Ease of action builder. You don't need to know how to code html or java to create most of your actions. Even novice users can make substantial changes.
  • Support. The support that you get from your Client Success Managers make a big difference with the tool. You are not left to your own devices to figure out how best to accomplish a test. They make sure you are getting what you pay for.
  • I know that it is recommended to give any test at least two weeks before considering any results, but I would like to see real time reporting.
Taking an idea from concept to implementation has been reduced greatly. I can make changes to my site without Monetate, but without it I would not be able answer the question of how this change affects my results. Being able to personalize and make changes is great, as long as you can measure whether those changes are positive or negative.
Read Richard Preciado's full review
Karsten Shields profile photo
October 05, 2015

"Monetate Review"

We are utilizing Monetate for a number of purposes. We use it for A/B testing on a variety of projects. We rely on this tool heavily to justify our decision making process. This has been a great tool to provide us with insight on our user interface. We also use Monetate for a variety of other functions, such as promotional banners, email sign up lightboxes, and much more.
  • A/B testing functionality.
  • Reporting analytics for A/B tests and experiences.
  • Ability to provide product recommendations based upon site data, and feeding through a variety of algorithms.
  • We have had some trouble getting some JavaScript elements to fire correctly. We ended up putting our static content in Monetate, and testing against the dynamic content on our site.
Monetate is well suited for companies that want to have a scientific way to measure the effectiveness of various presentations of user interfaces in a head-to-head A/B style testing format. This has been critical for our company to determine what is the best option to move forward in our experiments.
Read Karsten Shields's full review
Lisa Dahlke profile photo
September 23, 2015

User Review: "Monetate - We Love It!!!"

The main drivers of Monetate usage for our company is the team that is responsible for on site performance and user experience. This team is responsible for the administration of the tool as well as definition and creation of campaigns. Focus is on driving AOV, conversion, email signup, and personalized site experiences.
  • Ease of use resulting in quick and easy implementation. Team members have been able to quickly learn the tool and understand how to implement both easy and complex campaigns.
  • Wonderful support with rapid response to any questions or concerns. Questions are responded to quickly and updates on progress are given regularly.
  • Capabilities are endless. If you can think of it, Monetate will help you find a way to do it.
  • Based on their road map, Monetate is listening to their customers and continually moving forward.
  • The Merchandiser tool could be more flexible in the information it displays as well as in the data filters that can be applied. It is a solid tool but has room to offer more.
Sites with lower traffic will have a hard time getting actionable data from the tool unless you are willing to make decisions on a low confidence level. This isn't a reflection of Monetate but rather having enough traffic to meet statistical significance.
Read Lisa Dahlke's full review
Marissa Romaniello profile photo
September 15, 2015

Monetate Review: "An Essential Part of our Team"

We are currently using Monetate within the web team only. I am the primary user, but there are some additional users as well who use it as needed. We recently implemented their Merchandiser tool, so this responsibility will likely be shared between myself and another coordinator. With Monetate we are able to manipulate and test all areas of our site; from the most basic color changes to complex layout changes. With their guidance, we have built a very strong multi-variant testing program here.
  • The tool they offer is exceptional - easy to use, easy to understand the analytics
  • Our support team is phenomenal. We are in touch with them regularly and they are an excellent resource for us.
  • Monetate offers a variety of on-site resources, with up to date eCommerce information of everything that is going on in the industry
  • Our team is very happy with the service and support provided by Monetate. The only thing I have had frustration with (very minor!) is the full page refreshes within the UI. This is particularly painful when trying to prioritize 50+ campaigns at any given time
Read Marissa Romaniello's full review
Brendin King profile photo
September 09, 2015

User Review: "Monetate is Great!"

We have had such a great experience with Monetate. The tool itself has opened up a ton of opportunity for us on our website, as well as different ways to market to our website visitors. Their customer service team is exceptionally knowledgeable and always there to help. We can't say enough good things about Monetate.
  • The technology is fantastic and can help take your website and on-site marketing efforts to the next level.
  • Customer service is always responsive and extremely helpful.
  • Real-time reporting would be a huge improvement.
  • The ability to target customers based on an on-site event is also functionality that would be great to have.
Most of our questions were around how the tool could help test across multiple sub-domains and code bases. I would work with their sales staff to understand where your organization is in terms of testing vs. personalization. The tool does well with both, but you'll want to make sure you know how to effectively leverage the tool before bringing it onboard.
Read Brendin King's full review
Chad Fillion profile photo
September 02, 2015

Review: "Monetate is a great tool for outside of the box web-thinking"

We utilize the power of the Monetate platform to add/remove elements on our web site in a quick and easy fashion and leverage the testing capabilities to A/B test site changes globally before rolling them out "officially".
  • The ease of setting up actions to add new content or remove existing content from the web site is very streamlined and even non-coders on our team can do so with ease and little difficulty.
  • With the power of A/B testing on virtually anything we post to the site with Monetate we can gauge user response and acceptance and target the "better" CTR on specific designs. This expedites the creation of future designs as we know what works--and what doesn't.
  • Running concurrent campaigns throughout the site is simple as you can easily pause and edit anything running on the site with little interruption to the flow of the existing site.
  • The action builder interface has come a long way, but there are times when it feels intrusive. The top nav bar that is shown should be resizable to the user specifications... not on the standard sizes that Monetate dictates.
  • Sharing tests with others is quite easy, however, a test should be made available to "test" automatically rather than having to build a specific link. Users should be able to set a target location and allow others to see it as part ot the set up process and that "share link" should be automatically generated upon "completion" of building a campaign. Having to click elsewhere and build a link foolish as it is nearly always a "next step".
We use Monetate to host/display all of our internal site banners. The ease of implementation and targeting allows us to truly add a level of detail previously unavailable.
Read Chad Fillion's full review
Keenan C profile photo
August 12, 2015

Monetate Review: "Simple A/B testing and Instant site updates"

We use Monetate in our eComm department for our websites. Monetate allows us to implement our site ideas quicker and more easily than going through the traditional site update process. It also allows us to test our changes so we can make an informed business decision on what leads to better ROI. I love the simplistic user interface of Monetate. It's a truly great product and I would recommend it to any other company.
  • I can implement my tests/features with little to no HTML coding experience. It's great!
  • Instant previews and instant fixes before pushing an experience live.
  • Segmenting is very easy and clear of which customers will and won't see a given experience.
  • Some lag when searching for experiences, but we have multiple brands all on the same account, so this is likely part of the issue. This lag was severely decreased with a recent update.
  • Not being able to preview every type of experience. Some you have to push live and just use IP segmentation to preview before rolling out to segmented customers.
Monetate is very well suited for when we want to test our site ideas/functionality against alternatives. It's easy to have the same program running the actual creative/ text changes as well as the testing and reporting.
Read Keenan C's full review
Sara Miller profile photo
March 16, 2015

Review: "Monetate- Value Your Work With a Dollar Figure"

We are using Monetate for testing new things on the site (simple creative, CTAs, merchandising ideas, promotions) and we also use it for serving content and site elements that might take our IT department longer to implement.
  • Targeting and segmentation- for those that don't have sophisticated content management systems and for those hoping to better personalize their site.
  • Showing incremental lift/decrease- for things like promotions and other site enhancements, Monetate does a great job of giving an incremental dollar figure to things that top level executives are going to want to see.
  • Ease of use- the UI is incredibly user-friendly and Action Builder is a great asset for people who aren't as adept with coding and such.
  • Being quicker to release new features after they are announced. We often wait a year to gain access to features we are excited to use after they are announced.
  • Being quicker to build out actions around the holiday shopping season.
  • In terms of client support, we find that we have to sometimes remind our client service members about tests and other things discussed on update calls. A consistent follow up status email after each call or some other method of keeping track of things going on would be most helpful.
I would say that I would recommend it to someone who really wants to utilize all of the testing features. It is pricey, but very useful to really getting a sense of the impact certain things have on the site and the business.
Read Sara Miller's full review

About Monetate

Monetate is a leading personalization software for consumer-facing brands, used by QVC, Newegg Inc., J. Crew Group Inc., The North Face, and hundreds of other retailers. It enables brands to create individualized experiences for site visitors, with the goal of improving engagement and business performance.

The Monetate platform is open, designed to work seamlessly across the user's marketing stack. Monetate is real-time too, with machine learning capabilities to help deliver 1-to-1 personalization at scale.

Monetate Features

Has featureTesting
Has featureSegmentation
Has featureMachine Learning
Has featureData Integration
Has featureAPIs

Monetate Videos (3)

Watch Personalization Today: Everyone loves ice cream, but not everyone loves chocolate. Stop giving your customers the same flavor. This video is great for an introduction on the concept of 1-to-1 personalization.

Watch Introducing the Engine: It's not magic, but it feels a bit like science fiction. The Monetate Personalization Engine is your ticket to more ROI with less effort. Fabulous as a next touch once appetites have been whet with the concept of 1-to-1 personalization.

Watch Why Do We Need Machine Learning: Your customers are a multiverse of unique characteristics. Don't get caught in the infinite vacuum of scaling to all of their needs. A great touch to get people understanding the advantage that comes from a machine learning approach. Excellent follow up to "Introducing the Engine".

Monetate Integrations

Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics, SAP Hybris, Intershop Commerce Suite, Tealium AudienceStream, Magento Commerce Cloud (formerly Magento), Oracle DMP (Bluekai), Web Analytics Platforms, Demandware, IBM WebSphere Commerce, NeuStar PageAdvisor

Monetate Competitors