Movable Type Reviews

Dennis Dewey | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

I am most likely to use it in situations where there is not much at stake. I have less faith in the platform because of the direction I see it going in. Movable Type never really won the blogging wars with Wordpress so its future is still a bit uncertain. Most people I know have given up on Movable Type and have moved on to other platforms so I can't recommend it in most situations.
Read Dennis Dewey's full review
Jean Louis | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

I think there are still improvements to be made. I haven't tapped in to the full functionality of the CMS yet but the rating I give it now is only based on what I've been able to use it for.
Read Jean Louis's full review
Kurtis Amundson | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

I would renew my use of Movable Type when an opportunity comes up for a web project where the client wants to start a journey to construct an incredibly interactive user-based website. I really enjoy working with the Movable Type short codes and creating the custom applications for my clients and that would bring me back to working with this great platform.
Read Kurtis Amundson's full review
Joffroi Holcombe | TrustRadius Reviewer

Likelihood to Renew

As mentioned, this tool is great for small companies that have no web experience and want a designer to build something they can eventually update and maintain. For larger scale sites, I would be more comfortable creating everything in-house.
Read Joffroi Holcombe's full review
April 22, 2014

GTD: Gets Things Done

Likelihood to Renew

I give it a rating of 8 points because it was so easy to use. I also gave it this number because I can't remember anything particularly impressive. It's just a good, decent product. It gets the job done and efficiently.

I currently don't use Movable Type and have not used it in three years so the question referencing the renewal decision does not apply to me.

Likelihood to Renew

I would renew my services with Movable Type because I feel that it is a quality product that is actively and measurably contributing to my job performance and the ability for me to do my job well. Thankfully, the service is provided through my employer (and, consequently, is not a direct expense to me) but I truly feel that it is a worthy service for all that it is able to accomplish.

Role-based user permissions (1)
API (1)
WYSIWYG editor (1)
Code quality / cleanliness (1)
Admin section (1)
Page templates (1)
Library of website themes (1)
Mobile optimization / responsive design (1)
Publishing workflow (1)
Form generator (1)
Content taxonomy (1)
SEO support (1)
Bulk management (1)
Availability / breadth of extensions (1)
Community / comment management (1)

About Movable Type

Movable Type is a Perl-based CMS from Six Apart, featuring the capability to host multiple weblogs and standalone content pages, manage files and user roles, templates, tags, categories and trackback links. Six Apart was formed in 2001 as a blog solution provider in the US. In 2003 the company founded Six Apart KK, a Japanese legal entity. In November 2010, Six Apart joined forces with VideoEgg to create a new company called SAY Media. In January 2011, Six Apart KK was wholly acquired by Infocom, a Japanese IT company listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. Six Apart KK has assumed responsibility over all intellectual property and business operations of Movable Type, as well as trademark rights of Six Apart. The new Six Apart, a Japanese corporation formerly known as Six Apart KK, currently develops, markets and supports Movable Type for a global user base.

Movable Type touts a template markup system near in complexity to HTML. It is designed to support unlimited users and expanding without degrading site experience or increasing page load times. Custom fields, themes, plugins and the data API support great configurability. Its decoupled architecture supports flexible deployment for multichannel delivery. It is proprietary software.