Quick Base Reviews

John Harvey | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 27, 2018

Quick Base the Crack of SaaS Platforms

We rolled Quick Base out 8 years ago for our Sales Department, now it's used in Marketing and Product Marketing. We've launched it internationally and it has made a huge difference in communication.
  • Workflow approval
  • Reducing dependence on email
  • Automation
  • Connecting with Microsoft applications
Whenever you are using emailed attachments to track the progress of a project or request. This is where Quick Base shines. It helps clarify the process and the current status of the project.
I've had engineers and IT folk love the tool for speed and customization. They develop in the tool without any issues. My background is in IT so it's always been an easy tool for me. I train users that are not technical in using the application and they love the ease of use. I'm not sure how they would do in developing in the tool. It seems very easy to me.
Read John Harvey's full review
Kenneth Holsey | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 27, 2018

My quickbase experience

At People's Bank nc, we purchased quickbase as a way to mange our many ongoing projects, but we quickly figured out that the software is very flexible and found other uses for it. The apps are built by myself and can be used by anybody.
  • It's very easy for the end user to learn how to use the software.
  • It's very easy to learn how to create custom apps and quickbase offers plenty of training.
  • It's very flexible, almost any app can be built for any purpose.
  • I wish it had better HTML integration for more customization options.
  • Quickbase can do just about anything, but you might have to upgrade your plan or buy extra plugins for it.
  • More advanced app building can be difficult to diagnose problems.
QuickBase is great for project management or task management. I wouldn't attempted to use QuickBase as a data mining tool.
Quickbase is easy enough for a non technical person to develop simple apps and reports, but I've found it easier to develop the core functionality of the app myself and allow the non technical user to have the ability to make changes and fine tune the small stuff like field names and reports.
Read Kenneth Holsey's full review
Aylin Nazlim | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 20, 2018

Ultimate Non-Coder Loves QuickBase

Quick Base at ELC has a few hundred users and we all use it in different capacities around the globe. I work with various teams to understand their requirements and then the best way to build their Quick Base app while training them on the program. One example of a problem a brand was facing was they were deploying digital devices to multiple points of sale globally but was not able to track where and when. We built a database for them to track the deployments of the devices as well as the future update status of software deployment. I love how customizable the program is and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to save time on their projects!
  • Customizing reports is super simple.
  • Beautiful dashboards that are customizable per user
  • Sharing information capabilities
  • Took me personally a while to understand the relationship keys and text proxy but after I understood it, it is a piece of cake!
  • Not able to search all the contents of an entire app with multiple criteria, similar to a Google search.
Quick Base is well suited for tracking programs and providing updates when multiple team members are involved-but also individually as well. I haven't run into any scenarios that I wasn't able to customize Quick Base for yet.
I do not know how to code at all. The extent of my knowledge is you need to add a parenthesis to the end of a sentence if you start it with one! I have built pretty detailed apps without having to code really anything and if I did have an expert question Quick Base was always there to help!
Read Aylin Nazlim's full review
Lee Gilmore | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 18, 2017

Lots of Apps/empowered users

Our organization is using many different applications developed in QuickBase. My specific group is developing project management and scheduling tools to manage our capital projects. Our company as a whole is trying to consolidate spreadsheets, improve processes and improve communication across departments.
  • Quickly allow someone to build a proof of concept to help determine a process flow. This helps showcase to users and management the abilities of Quickbase and how much more powerful it is versus traditional access of Excel.
  • Flexible to allow for on the fly modifications. So often an application is built knowing how to cover 80% of the process and as the exceptions become visible, it's easy to incorporate fixes in the system.
  • Quick report building and sharing. Access and other programs take a ton of time to do what can be done in seconds in QuickBase.
  • Quickbase support is very prompt and knowledgeable.
  • Gantt charts and their predecessor fields. Building scheduling apps is limited with their Gantt and predecessor fields.
  • The form builder is rather cumbersome.
  • I'd love to see a relationship diagram or a visualization in the Dynamic Form Rules because I can get lost in how many I've built and where there might be overlap.
  • Many to Many relationships are rather difficult to create.
Most of the people I work with try to make Excel do what a database should do. I push Excel users to try Quickbase and typically find they do well with it.
Most of our citizen developers have a pretty easy time building apps. When they want some advanced level stuff, then they ask for help from our more experienced users. We also use a third party Quickbase consultant MCF for things that require complicated solutions.
Read Lee Gilmore's full review
Carrie DeAntonio | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 12, 2017

Quick Base is a great option for those who needs options!

Everyone in our company uses Quick Base. Various departments use it for our own projects, and we all use it to keep up with each other. The development department uses it to keep track of what's going on with our software products, from changes that are being considered through execution and inclusion in a release build version. Sales and support use it to keep track of customers, and we all use it for general awareness of what's going on in different departments.
  • Very flexible! Can be configured to work how you need it.
  • The view is also pretty flexible so that individual users can see just what they need to see.
  • Always adding new features and refining old ones! If there's something you wish you could do, just give it a few months!
  • I really have no complaints with Quick Base.
In my view, Quick Base is useful for businesses of any size for processes or projects where you would like to have some ability to customize your software to your data and interests, rather than fitting what YOU do to what your software does. If an application exists that does EXACTLY what you want, setting up Quick Base to work for you would offer no advantage.
Obviously, it's difficult to say things like "easy" or "hard" for a general audience. I would say that Quick Base is easier to figure out and configure than a really complicated Excel worksheet -- but, then, I have little experience in Excel and don't find it intuitive. Finding help to do what you want to do is usually pretty easy and Quick Base is improving the range of things you can do and the ease with which you can do them all the time, so development gets both better and faster.
Read Carrie DeAntonio's full review
Janet Plumley | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 07, 2017

QuickBase is the tool to get your work streamlined!

Quick Base is helping us improve business processes, replace spreadsheets, track assets more completely, add workflows and communication in our IT and Shared Services departments as well as our business units. Quick Base is expanding at our company, as more and more users are in the apps, they have more ideas they would like to have built, this could be additional functionality in existing apps or new apps to replace and enhance manual processes or spreadsheets.

Growth is also being seen with existing apps by providing additional visibility into apps for more groups. This growth in Quick Base provides additional opportunities for our employees to grow and work on different tasks. We are currently working on implementing a more comprehensive Citizen Development program to get our business units more involved
  • Availability to integrate with other systems
  • Roles, permissions and security are easily manageable
  • Dashboard are customizable
  • Better reporting
  • More enhanced UI
Improving business process and eliminating manual spreadsheets
I do not have a programming background or education and I can develop in Quick Base. We have a team of people that can help with integrations, table structure and code pages when needed. Some apps do not require any of this to be complete and implemented. If I can develop an app many others can too! That is one of the many reasons we are working to expand our Citizen Developers, they know their data and they are the best people to determine more things they need done with their data! Our apps are very diverse and some take a short time to develop a couple of weeks and others take longer to implement due to integrations etc.
Read Janet Plumley's full review
Neil Savage | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 22, 2018

Telecom Implementation

We use QB to manage our workflow, our invoicing, and our customer data tracking. Hard to imagine how we survived without it. A robust system that did take a third party vendor to implement (mostly because we weren't focused on SDLC), but can now be maintained by current staff. Great!
  • Workflow/task completion: decreases email use because "To Do" lists are housed in QB
  • Invoicing: by inputting information, accounting knows when to do their job
  • Color coding in reports
If only 2D data is needed, it's too complicated.
Moderate. Have to be IT-minded, though not actually know much about IT.
Read Neil Savage's full review
Lorri Brandvold | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 17, 2018

So much data...so little time

We use QuickBase for project management and project accounting.
  • Revenue recognition
  • Project profitability
  • Project percent completion
  • Project management
  • Currency translation
  • Duplication of data entry
It's as good as the person who builds the applications and maps the relational tables.
Our apps were built by outside consultants but are maintained internally by finance and operations staff not IT
Read Lorri Brandvold's full review
Frances Rampey | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 03, 2018

Quick Base for Asset Management

The Products group uses Quick Base as both an asset management and project management tool. We use it to maintain information about the modules, content, and courses we develop and deliver. We use it to manage and keep up with production costs for our production schedule. We also use it to interface with other software in the company.
  • Adaptability, it can easily be modified to fit the unique needs of your company.
  • Scalability, it scales as your company grows.
  • Flexibility, you can control how you use and implement Quick Base
  • There could be better support for international applications and languages.
  • Training and aid in creating custom apps.
Anything you would use a spreadsheet or database to keep information stored and easily accessible.
Basic understanding of how a Database works, and what you are trying to achieve are the two skills you need to be able to create an effective app.
Read Frances Rampey's full review
Robert Mayer BSc MBA PMP CMQ ITIL LSSGB CMQOE CMP CSQE CSBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 19, 2017

Quick-after the initial time invested

It is use by the entire company across all departments. Our primary app is a large complex highly customized Project Management app. We set up and track every proposal and contract from beginning to end. We handle a variety of different projects in several industries, included but not limited to design, strategy, production, installation and maintenance.
  • It is very easy to customize with Quick Base. When a project or type of project needs to accommodate a new process change, it is usually something that can be addressed in minutes or under an hour.
  • Created new customized reports is a breeze. Need to add or remove a couple of columns -or change the sort or subtotaling - generally can be completed in minutes.
  • Email Notifications. We often have important deadlines for deliverables, invoicing and report submissions. Rather than relying on staff’s memory or external calendars, they are many options on how one can setup email notifications and auto report distributions.
  • Table icons - For new users, the table metaphor and the icons can be confusing and/or uninviting. The app developer should be able to hide the table menu display and icons.
  • Forms design and layout. In 2018, I expect to have a more WYSIWYG input form design. It’s currently awkward and time consuming.
  • The overall user interface is very dated- looks “1999-ish”. I know that they are working on improvements, but it is still way behind new users expeditions for a GUI.
Very well suited for keeping structures data all together in one place.
Not well suited for keeping all the communcation streams togther - for example , all the emails about a project.
Even though marketing touts ease of use for non-techs, I have not seen that in our company. Even those users who are more comfortable with spreadsheets and lists of data, it would be a significant stretch to expect them to build even a simple app with a few tables. Without a grasp of relational databases - how tables relate to each other and the importance of data normalization, the probability of creating and maintaining a usable app in an effective and efficient manner would be very low.
Read Robert Mayer BSc MBA PMP CMQ ITIL LSSGB CMQOE CMP CSQE CSBA's full review
Ann Swelgin | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 19, 2017

Quick Base is your one stop shop for data storage and workflow!

Quick Base was used throughout the company with various applications in each department. Applications were used for data storage, workflows and replacing spreadsheets.
  • Easy to create applications
  • Great reporting capabilities built in
  • Easily organize and update data
  • More advanced reporting
  • Drag and drop form building with more formatting options
Automating workflows
Making data easily accessible and organized
Quick Base is very easy to get started. For more robust advanced applications you will probably need to get some help from a certified developer or Quick Base Service Partner.
Read Ann Swelgin's full review
Eric Thorsteinson | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 12, 2017

Quickbase is a Great Cloud based Application

We use Quickbase instead of Microsoft Excel for tracking of clients and contracts for agents. It is being used by our inside call center and our Agent Services Department. This allows multiple users to access the information without accidentally deleting it. We ran into many issues using Excel for some of this and it created many problems. Once we starting using Quickbase our book of business and contracting department became much more efficient and effective as well. It's been a wonderful addition and we will continue to use Quickbase going forward for many years to come!
  • It allows multiple users here at work to access the data at the same time without deleting anything of value.
  • It can hold a lot more data than Excel.
  • Using this application as a web based application allows access for all our workers.
  • Not sure what they need to do better right now.
  • They are doing a great job for us as a company.
  • Wonderful product and company to work with.
It's much better than Excel for multiple users within the company. If your company has a lot of clients, contracts, or data in general, then Quickbase is a great way to keep track of that data. It allows many users in the company to input information and also access the information without the worry of deleting it.
I don't know much about that. Sorry.
Read Eric Thorsteinson's full review
John Parham | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 11, 2017

Quick Base!! Fast, Scalable, and Easy!

We introduced Quick Base (QB) in 2013 because we needed a centralized place to manage claims, customer surveys, analytics requests, and EPIC support requests. We weren’t integrating companies then and that wasn’t original interest in the product. We primarily purchased QB because it was a more cost-effective solution for customer surveys and additionally allowed us to centralize requests in the other two areas that were being done by email. In 2014, QB was very helpful in helping us with our first integration with a newly purchased company. It allowed us to share documents with those outside the company prior to the integration. But even at that point, we were using it in a very limited capacity as project management software.
  • Quick Base allows the users to build very low-cost applications for business processes where it would have been cost prohibitive to build in a traditional software development model.
  • Our organization out grew our prior solutions for managing tasks, processes, and projects. Quick Base handles a slew of scenarios it empowered business users to build their own applications in a matter of minutes.
  • Quick Base is working on its mobile platform and this is an important area for improvement.
  • We would like to see an easier way to do many to many relationships, which Quick Base is working on.
Quick Base is wonderful for managing tasks, processes, and projects. It also allows centralizing support or other requests that previously may have been done via email. Quick Base can handle a large variety of scenarios from sales and finance to business landing pages and support requests. Quick Base allows the users to build very low costs applications for business processes where it would have been cost prohibitive to build in a traditional software development model.
The level of technical know-how required to build a Quick Base app is very minimal. There is no help needed from IT personnel, and the time required to build an application can be days instead of weeks or months. I've seen business professionals with no coding experience build a simple Quick Base application within a day.
Read John Parham's full review
Neil Batchelor | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 05, 2017

QuickBase for Sales Opportunity management

We use Quickbase to capture and report on our sales pipeline/sales opportunities across multiple businesses in Europe. Quickbase is a good platform as it is simple and intuitive to use, and easy to customise. Users are predominantly from my sales and business development teams. In addition, we capture leads from marketing activities and initiatives. We use Oracle as our ERP - Quickbase takes care of the 'lead to opportunity' piece.
  • QuickBase is easy to customise to your own particular application or requirement.
  • QuickBase permits easy exporting of data into external applications for more detailed analysis - alternate presentation.
  • The 'grid edit' facility in QuickBase enables multiple records to be viewed in a simple format.
  • The QuickBase report builder is simple and easy to use and permits data to be interpreted/converted into meaningful business information.
  • More recently I received more comments regarding QuickBase not running so well on mobile devices/phones /tablets etc....
  • It would be good if it were easier to delete aged/unwanted data. ( This could be a limitation of my ability!).
  • It would be good if it were easier to create 'richer' dashboards from which to navigate.
QuickBase works well for standalone situations - in our case sales opportunity capture and management.
In our organisation the application is owned by our shared service IT team. The took the time and used online support in order to become fully knowledgeable about QuickBase such that they can support both simple user queries and application development tasks. From my perspective, they find it easy to work with and we are able to improve our application with ease.
Read Neil Batchelor's full review
Tina Hand | TrustRadius Reviewer

Easy to use Database.

Our tech calls & billing was on paper and took us 3 weeks after the first of the month to get taken care of. When we started Quickbase it was unbelievablely quick and easy. 4 hours on the 1st of each month was a plus on getting paid quicker each month.
  • Organization of clients
  • Tickets in one location
  • Great customer service
  • Easy to learn and use
  • Printing reports
Great if you need a well designed database with report building skills.
They will train anyone with basic skills. Easy to learn and use.
Read Tina Hand's full review
David Stephens | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 26, 2017

If you're a nerd who gets as excited as me about databases and all that you can do with them, QuickBase is for you!

We use QuickBase for everything. Every single one of our departments use QuickBase. QuickBase apps have been developed specific to each department and I've even developed my own app for our marketing department. I developed my app to catalog articles and information I find on the web on a particular topic and it works perfectly.
  • Custom report building
  • App creation is easy
  • Automatically generating charts from table data
  • Better help online for writing custom formulas
  • More chart types
  • Better customization of charts
I've been using QuickBase for almost a year and a half now and I really haven't found a scenario it's not suited for. With the ability to make your own apps, you can pretty much get it to do whatever you want. Maybe I'm just thinking too narrowly and I'm focused too much on our particular business, I don't know. But I really think it's pretty versatile for many different companies in varying industries. I sure wish we had it at my last company!
I personally don't think QuickBase apps are too difficult to build but I think that's because I am familiar with databases, tables, conditional logic, data relationships, etc. Where I do find I struggle a bit is on the syntax of custom formulas. I do wish there was a more down to earth, layman's guide on formulas for QuickBase. I think anyone can build an app but they might hit a wall getting it to do what they want if they can't figure out how to write the correct formula when needed.
Read David Stephens's full review
Peter Beringer | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 14, 2017

QuickBase, the tool for easy custom data gathering applications.

Within our organization, we are using Quickbase for two main applications. First, we are using Quickbase to manage our contracts. We created an application to store the vital details along with a digital copy of the contracts. We then created a notification to alert us at a specific interval when the contract was coming due. This has helped us to stay on top of the various contracts that we as the IT team manage. This is a need in our company because we do not have a legal team to manage these kinds of documents. Quickbase has filled in great for this need. The second application we use Quickbase for has been for a notification solution for when new employees are hired and terminated. This application grew out of a need to be notified when new employees were hired at remote office locations. The problem was that people were getting hired and IT was not notified so we could not have the correct accounts created ahead of time. We created this application to solve this issue. Once created we were able to tailor the notifications for other departments that wanted additional notifications as well.
  • Quickbase is great at allowing a customized interface. If you can think of the field and how it will be used, Quickbase will have you covered.
  • Quickbase does a great job at notifications, we have used custom notifications a lot with our applications and its always worked well.
  • Quickbase could do a better job at user management. Fortunately we don't have to do a lot of user management, but when we do it's confusing on where we even need to go to get all the permissions removed/added.
  • Quickbase could do a better job at navigation in general. Sometimes finding that specific configuration page is hard. We have spent a good amount of time with this product and still have a hard time navigating the tool.
I believe Quickbase is an excellent tool for those users or groups that are looking to build a custom application to get their team or company off the ground quickly. The alternatives we looked at were expensive and time consuming to even get fully configured. Quickbase will allow you and your team to get busy doing the work you need the tool to do and not spending weeks and months just getting the tool configured.
Quickbase takes a few minutes to understand the navigation and structure to building a good application. What we did in the beginning, and since as Intuit (the company behind Quickbase) was look at how some of the canned applications did what the do for certain functions. We learned from this process to now we have developed our own applications from the ground up without being professional developers.
Read Peter Beringer's full review
Samit Mhatre | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 07, 2017

QuickBase - fast and easy development

Elevate uses QuickBase as a platform to develop applications for our internal use. We have created our own HRMS system called ElevatedHR on QuickBase which is being used across Elevate from all its locations in the US, UK, India and Philippines. We also have our time tracking tool developed on QuickBase which helps us bill our clients.

QuickBase helps us develop applications really quickly so that we can address and mitigate our risks quickly.
  • Quick and easy development of applications.
  • Very secure and easy to assign access controls to any application for various roles in the organization.
  • Ease of creating customized reports which are really useful to make correct decisions across the organization.
  • Add an event driven capability which can then remove the dependency of manual intervention. E.g: accrual of leaves needs to be done manually as the system cannot automatically do that at a trigger at the start of the month.
  • Although creating reports is easy for someone who understands QuickBase, maybe add a functionality to create reports like Oracle ERP
  • More flexibility in making the UI more user-friendly.
QuickBase is really best suited for a small to mid-sized organization which does not want to invest a lot into an ERP. One can hire smart people and develop various applications on QuickBase to suit your needs. You don't need any specific skill set like .NET or Java to develop applications on QuickBase but [you] need people with strong logic skills.
This is the USP of QuickBase that a non-technical person can efficiently develop applications on QuickBase. You do not need the following skills: .NET, Java, etc. What you need is - above average aptitude and logic, some sense of GUI, some knowledge of software engineering and testing.
Read Samit Mhatre's full review
Ryan Peer | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 04, 2017

QuickBase - The triumph of common sense over technical training.

QuickBase is used by several departments. The most prevalent use is for aggregation of data from IT systems, and dispersion to those without access to the primary database.
  • Ability to gather large pools of data, 700K to 1M+ rows within an app.
  • Access to users, without regard to their status in the network, their device, or platform.
  • Relatively easy to learn basic app creation.
  • Graphing is the Achilles heel of QuickBase. Specifically not being in control of the details. For instance, where the legend is situated and what elements it displays. Also, the color of lines and bars change for no apparent reason. These "insignificant" aspects loom large when producing reports for C-staff.
  • The lack of global filtering on home-pages is frustrating, as is the limited number of reports allowed per page.
QuikcBase is well suited to data manipulation and dispersion, but not for not for summarization of percentages.
I personally came to QuickBase as a neophyte. No coding experience, barely any in Excel, I couldn't even spell SQL. There were challenges, but between the QuickBase community and Intuit's staff, I had the support I needed. I found our IT infrastructure (all good people) to be more of an impediment than of assistance. The time to build or maintain apps is completely dependent on the scope of the apps. I've built an app in a day that turns a three day job into a ten minute job. I have built an app that took six months dev time but it has been running for six years without any maintenance beyond adding/deleting users.
Read Ryan Peer's full review
Kirk DesRosier | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 28, 2017

QuickBase - The swiss army knife of database apps

It is being used by two units within the organization. The high-level business problem it solves is information sharing and data management. For our unit, the business problem is managing registration and attendance to workshops, and various other back office needs such as volunteer recognition, publishing workflow and copyright tracking and management.
  • Flexible and fast database setup.
  • Quick report development and distribution.
  • Easty to adjust and reconfigure databases and tables as needs change/arise.
  • It would be nice to have a more comprehensive API wth tools for front end developers. Guidance on easy security modules etc.There are some third parties that have created middle layers between QuickBase and Javascript but it would be nice if there was an official, easy to use with explanations API.
  • The community is good, but it takes a lot of time to decipher advice and apply examples to my situation. I can also see that a few people that are very active in the community are Quickbase customizers. I appreciate the need to have specialized customizers and integrators but if the nature of quickbase is to make things easy perhaps quickbase can provide better features for people that want to get more advanced with integrating with other apps or front end development outside QB. The complexity is at a level now where I am looking at MySQL and Mongo as options to pursue for database needs but really wish it were just easier to stick with QB without needing to go that route.
  • It would be interesting to have more tools for data visualization. Could Quickbase ever compete with something like Tableau?
I think it is well suited if a team has a geek that really wants to take on learning QuickBase. Or an organization is willing to accept QuickBase as a tool that could meet the needs of a number of user groups and is able to do the work to integrate properly with authentication systems and other data that is germane to the organization and can't go to quickbase for security concerns. The inverse of the two statements above are where it is more difficult in my opinion. I have brought quickbase to two organizations now that both have had IT departments that are completely unwilling to fully embrace what Quickbase could be used for. Part of that is the cost. Once you get a lot of users, they see it as costing a lot, taking away their resources... who knows. Current organization is in bed with Oracle and the last one was as well so it's very hard to go too far with QuickBase.
Unfortunately it is difficult for non technical people to get much out of quickbase. I have introduced the platform to other units in my org and checked on thier apps after a few years and they really have evolved. It seems like younger people today lack the skills to make somehting like QB work or have skills to develop something way beyond QB.
Read Kirk DesRosier's full review
Chris Blazak | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 24, 2017

Managing a complex, cross-functional project: A user's view

Used by a large team to manage and monitor an equipment refresh project covering 150 remote locations and lasting 14 months.
  • Top-level, graphical summary of overall project status, recent milestones and upcoming activities.
  • Respository for all project-related documents
  • Ability to drill-down into each site's specific characteristics
  • Once the tool has been configured and deployed, using it to quickly see status is a breeze. However, creating a new project feels complex and is time-consuming. There is plenty of power, but sorting through and trimming down the options is not so easy.
Cloud-based, so users can easily connect and get status from any device. However, the UI on mobile devices, and the ability to navigate through the various pages is not as easy as from a laptop.
Have only used for Project Mgt to-date- is well-suited to that task, once the project template has been built-out. Easy to add new capabilities.
Its just not that easy- from my experience, no particular IT or technical knowledge is required, but customizing the templates requires time and is not always intuitively obvious.
Read Chris Blazak's full review
Bryony Mackey | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 07, 2017

Experience with QuickBase

Currently Quickbase is being leveraged across multiple business lines and departments. Quickbase provided a robust and easy to implement solution to track everything from sales leads to corrective actions records. We have Quickbase integrated with multiple other systems using the API provided. We heavily rely on Quickbase relationships between applications and tables, as well.
  • The ability to search/filter by name or type through field lists is particularly helpful when searching a large application.
  • Using variables in formulas helps us keep char limits and processing time down on large formulas.
  • The new dashboards are easy to set up, slick and fast. They help our users find the information they're looking for faster.
  • We would love if QuickBase allowed us more storage. With larger applications, 500mb is a very small cap compared to other enterprise level solutions. We are forced to aggressively archive leads which could have been turned into clients if they could have been kept and worked.
  • Integrated deployment solutions would be beyond welcome. It's incredibly tedious to make our changes in a copy application, and then make them all again manually in the production environment. It's time-consuming and more prone to error.
  • Change the sandbox solution. Currently, if you create a sandbox, you cannot make any changes to production. We have different levels of changes and cannot afford to lock our production environment for weeks on end for a larger enhancement.
I think QuickBase is great for companies with little to no IT support (which is where we started). It allowed regular users to create and stand up applications within days which were fairly robust. It's incredibly easy to use and understand which leads to the rise of citizen developers. We currently do not allow those in our company due to the overhead we'd face in supporting applications we did not create ourselves.
I think there's an inherent danger with letting non-technical users create business critical applications, and we do not allow that. However, in the scenario that the application needed is not business critical I feel it's totally possible for a citizen developer to create a simple application for tracking...invoices for example. This can be done in a matter of hours, including some simple automations.
Read Bryony Mackey's full review
MOHIT CHAWLA | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 06, 2017

QuickBase - A Rapid Application Development Platform

QuickBase is being used as a rapid application development platform within our organization to automate a manual process or Excel spreadsheets requiring concurrent or workflow based usage. QuickBase is being used across multiple domains including hospitality, learning, HR, sales, project management etc. The biggest problems that we've been able to solve with QuickBase is to reduce time to market for our client's ever-changing requirements as well as reduce maintenance costs and effort especially the effort and cost to maintain servers.
  • You can go on to develop an end to end interactive application without writing a single snippet of code. You can do this in quick turnaround (the baseline setup can be built in a few hours). This includes creating forms, fields, validations, user roles, role-based dashboards, notifications, reminders, SSO, as well as reports. QuickBase is extremely easy to learn and in most cases you don't even need the first lesson to get going on the platform and build something useful out of the system.
  • QuickBase offers more than 800 different applications set up as vanilla apps which can be reused to our advantage.
  • 1 user license can be used against [any] number of applications in the same instance. This has given us the power to develop a complete enterprise fleet for applications for ourselves and our clients using QuickBase.
  • QuickBase lacks language support which has been a limiting factor for many of our applications/clients to use QuickBase. To be a global player, QuickBase needs to focus on this capability at the least.
  • The UI of QuickBase many times limits the usage of the product as a front end tool. It is considered a back-end operations tool rather than something which is beyond any bars. The Mercury UX platform had been discussed for more than 2 years now but it is yet to see daylight. The UI lacks class and many times fails to impress the audiences.
QuickBase is well suited for any back operation automation. Transforming/automating an existing Excel operation is ideal using QuickBase. When you've need to create a lot of charts, metrics, and analytics, I would recommend using QuickBase. You can also use the platform for creating a fleet of connected enterprise applications. QuickBase works really well with connected/integrated QuickBase applications.

I however, will not recommend using QuickBase when you need to perform a front end operation such as a need for an HR portal or case management front ends. At present, QuickBase doesn't allow the creation of jazzy UI with its out of box features while the jQuery, scripting custom pages often suffer with performance issues when large data sets are involved.
A non-technical citizen developer can create simple to medium complexity applications with some knowledge of their tables, relationships, formulas, and rules. These basic skills can be attained with thousands of videos freely available on YouTube and other platforms. One could also take advantage of their app exchange which contains about 800+ applications so that you don't have to create something from scratch.

Many times, however, there are needs to go beyond formulas and rules, and in that case you need to delve into scripting. A citizen developer will struggle in that case. They need knowledge of JavaScript, HTML, CSS, jQuery to be able to make their way forward. They also need to be good with jQuery because QuickBase custom pages run into performance issues quite often if scripts are not optimized properly. You could opt to work with their sub-contractors/partners who could with their knowledge build such custom requirements at a low cost or learn the skill and achieve anything and everything with QuickBase.
Read MOHIT CHAWLA's full review
Matthew Stephens | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 24, 2017

Why I use QuickBase at Beca

We use QuickBase primarily in our Industrial business line to help manage shutdowns. QuickBase gives us the ability to quickly develop applications to manage all the jobs, tasks, materials and documents required to manage shutdowns. The great thing about QuickBase is the ease of customisation. When the client demands a change, we can quickly implement the change, and suit the application to the client's needs.

QuickBase use has grown steadily in our company, more and more people realise the power and ease of use of this great tool.

• QuickBase is excellent at replacing Excel spreadsheets. Especially when there is a large amount of data involved or where multiple people need to edit the data at the same time.
  • Notifications are simple to set up based on customisable conditions. This allows for workflows to be established easily.
  • Customising the QuickBase application can be done on the fly. As an administrator, my colleagues phone me from another country, complain that they would like a new field, and I can implement the new field within the minute - which is immediately available to them when they refresh their internet browser screen.
  • Importing and Exporting of Excel data couldn't be easier. It just works.
  • QuickBase struggles with foreign characters. Many of our applications are in French, and while French characters work in most situations, importing CSV data with French characters still does not work properly.
  • QuickBase allows for any number of roles to be set up, with permissions able to be set based on tables, fields, and records. The only problem I have is when I have one person who has two roles. For example, for a timesheet app I have developed, a manager should be able to edit the hours of only his own timesheet, and approve all of his direct report's timesheets. However, by assigning two roles to one person, the role permissions don't work logically, and the manager can now edit all of his direct report's timesheet hours. I have developed workarounds, but they are less ideal than if QuickBase could handle assigning multiple rows.
  • Adding documents to QuickBase would be much more efficient if documents could be added in a grid edit report. Currently, the only way to add documents natively is to edit a single record.
  • Dropdown fields in a grid edit can be set so that the available choices are limited conditional on another field (usually a parent record). The available choices can also be set based on filtering criteria. However it can't do both. For example, I have a parent table of projects and a child table of tasks, with status open or closed. If I have a grid edit for current issues in a Projects form, I can have a dropdown of project tasks within that grid edit. I can choose to show only the tasks related to that project, or only open tasks, but I can't show only open tasks related to that project.
  • Copying from Excel directly into a QuickBase grid edit is very handy. However, somewhere between QuickBase and Excel, strange characters are sometimes added like "\n". This indicates that there was a line break in the Excel data, but I would rather QuickBase just ignored the line break, so I didn't have to delete the "\n" later.

QuickBase is great at replacing large Excel tables, especially when multiple people are working on them. It also provides a way for dashboards to be live, and not having to publish dashboard reports and email them out to everyone - instead you can just send a hyperlink to the dashboard.

QuickBase is even better at relating tables to each other. It's the easiest database creator I have ever used.

QuickBase natively is not suited to printing out paper copies of any information. There is limited ability to make reports print out to how you want. I have developed tools in Excel to publish printed workpacks exactly how I want, however this takes time.

If you are any good at Excel, you'll find QuickBase easy.

For the people in my team who have helped develop applications, they have all commented to me on how surprisingly easy it is to develop basic applications.

For the more complex applications, I have relied upon a wealth of information on the QuickBase community site, as well as QuickBase help cases.

Read Matthew Stephens's full review
Casey Kelby | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 03, 2017

QuickBase for easy development and data manipulation

I use QuickBase as a data base of products to estimate the cost and price for our customers. Data from QuickBase is put into our quotations to provide insight for manager approval before a quotation is sent to our customers. Currently only our industry-specific division of sales is using QuickBase. This allows us to make informed decisions about the actual cost to produce materials versus what our customers have paid in the past.
  • Customization is excellent. You can make form fields be exactly what you need them to be.
  • Reports are easy to create and sort.
  • Dashboards are drag-and-drop which makes it easy for certain users to see exactly what they want to see.
  • Visually, the forms and reports look kind of clunky and not so modern. There are a lot of erroneous filtering abilities that would be nice to turn off in certain reports and views.
QuickBase is very relevant where a lot of data is being entered into spreadsheets. QuickBase allows so much filtering and customization for how data is viewed, it would be perfect for someone who wants to see certain views of spreadsheets. If you are allowing customers or sending forms directly from QuickBase, you may be disappointed with the user experience.
I developed our QuickBase apps with only limited software/coding knowledge. While I am an engineer, I am not as well versed in app building or computer coding. You need to have the ability to think in code (logically, data typing, strings) but don't necessarily need to do actual code. If you can navigate a computer easily and have experience with spreadsheets and functions you should be able to develop an app inside QuickBase. QuickBase also offers free webinars constantly which can help you learn new features and hone your skills.
Read Casey Kelby's full review

Visual Modeling (66)
Drag-and-drop Interfaces (63)
Platform Security (70)
Platform User Management (76)
Reusability (76)
Platform Scalability (71)

About Quick Base

Quick Base aims to empower businesses to quickly turn ideas into applications that make them more efficient, informed, and productive. The vendor’s value proposition is that by using Quick Base, anyone — regardless of technical background — can quickly create business apps they can use and share with others.