Salesforce for Nonprofits Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Tierra Bishop profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Salesforce makes it simple to enter and track client data across time.
  • Salesforce for Nonprofits allows organizations to enter and track donation information with customizable options that make it easy to reconcile with internal financial data.
  • Salesforce for Nonprofits provides free resources to connect with other nonprofit/organizational professionals and learn from them; they also provide learning resources on their Trailblazer platform.
  • The main issue I have with Salesforce for Nonprofits is the reports functionality. Salesforce forces you to create "canned" reports to some extent each time and doesn't let you build a report entirely from scratch. For example, when you create a report you have to first determine what "type" of report it is, such as contact or donation report, and then it pre-selects a list of report indicators/data points that you can choose from. I have very often found myself wanting to pull in information from areas/data points that are not available to me based on the report type. This may have been in an effort to make reporting more simple, but it actually creates a lot of frustrations and inability to find the data I need.
  • Salesforce for Nonprofits seems to be contact-based in a lot of ways instead of household-based, but I think users should have the option to choose between the two in various settings within the CRM. For example, in campaigns, the users have to add campaign participants as individual contacts, and you cannot add an entire household or org to the campaign together. You would have to separately look up each person within that household, and add each one manually.
Read Tierra Bishop's full review
Courtney Osterfelt profile photo

Pros and Cons

• It is a very large platform that is compatible with other platforms we use. For example, our online giving platform works very well with Salesforce, every time someone gives online it automatically logs it into Salesforce.
  • Salesforce allows us to track prospective donors and foundations, document what we are learning from them, document our involvement and track when the right time for a big ask is.
  • Salesforce has the ability for us to run large reports about our donors and our campaigns.
  • We are a small non-profit (only 3 full-time staff) with limited resources. It is very difficult to learn how to customize salesforce. It would be helpful if there was more customer service for new folks. The non-profit training program is helpful but it doesn't always address each version of salesforce that organizations have.
  • I could use some tutorials on running basic reports with ease.
  • It is difficult to understand what permissions to give my employees who also use Salesforce. I thought I gave them all the necessary permissions and lately, we are having a hard time logging donations as the title we want to give them. My staff will log a donation, give it a title, and when they hit save it changes the title back to the automated name. I am not sure why and I think it might have to do with her user permissions.
Read Courtney Osterfelt's full review

Pros and Cons

• Lots of connection points. I can associate a contact with an organization, an event and a donation, easily bouncing between them and pulling reports accordingly. Love this!
  • This system has many more features than we will ever actually use but I love that because when we have a new idea or want to try something out we don't have to switch systems, we just have to dig a little deeper into salesforce and they probably have a solution waiting for us already.
  • Salesforce is great at training! I love their trailhead and have used it a lot, especially when I was just getting to know the system. It is easy, fun, informative, and always there to teach me something new. I can also go at my own pace instead of many people's models of training through webinars that are almost always at inconvenient times.
  • Sometimes having so many options and features can be overwhelming for an organization as small as we are. There are days when I wish I could hide pieces or shut them off entirely so that they don't clutter our account.
  • Sometimes the Sales language doesn't translate very well to our non-profit world. While you could argue that we are doing a form of sales we really don't use typical sales verbiage or methods.
Rusty Angell profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Reporting - the ability to create customized reports that allow us to connect with our members is one of the most valuable features!
  • Integrations - Salesforce allows us to integrate apps that are not only built specifically for Salesforce but also connect to other outside apps. This ensures that our data is always up-to-date no matter where it is displayed.
  • Customizations - endless custom fields for our data and the ability to create custom user-facing websites built on our information make for a seamless experience for everyone.
  • Because Salesforce is such a large and powerful system I don't think as much attention has been placed on the user interface experience. I often find myself trying to figure out how to do things simply because the system is so complex.
  • Dashboards are useful but, here again, the simplicity with which to visualize my data is lacking. A more simple data visualization building tool would be helpful.
Read Rusty Angell's full review
Kevin Scally profile photo
November 28, 2018

One CRM to Rule Them All

• Dynamic search
  • Integrations with third part apps
  • User management
  • Complex reporting often times out
  • Many features still require developers to build out - would like to see Salesforce create simpler interfaces for non-technical users
  • Limited storage - Salesforce requires you to pay for more storage, which gets very costly
Read Kevin Scally's full review
Jeff Govert profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Visibility, we can see at what point any of our projects are at and we can see what was done and when leveraging chatter.
  • Ease of flow, our environment was created to streamline our work flow and it does it. Once one process is completed the system moves the project to the next group/phase.
  • Ease of use. the system is intuitive and we find that the learning curve for new employees is very straight forward. The system walks you through your processes.
  • We occasionally struggle with marketing cloud. It is a very robust tool and does not always seem to work well for our needs. We are working to improve it but it is proving to be a challenging tool.
  • Chatter has worked very well for our organization as it provides a history of all that has happened in the system. We attempted to consolidate all communications in one platform (chatter) but employees are not as comfortable using the solution for everyday communications as it part of our system of record. It does work for social communication but our staff is not comfortable using it.
  • Some of the integrations that we try and do are difficult and fragile at times. There has been improvement but integrations are always a concern.
Read Jeff Govert's full review
Jillian Papa profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Stores contact information. It's a CRM tool so it's great at keeping track of your customers.
  • The reports functionality is pretty good. You can easily build reports yourself.
  • It also connects seamlessly to Pardot which manages our communications with our network.
  • You can only export reports into 2 types, excel is one of them and I can't remember the other. But it's crazy that such an advanced platform only has two options to export, it's archaic in that way.
  • The dashboards you can develop are pretty weak. They look like they are from the 1980s.
  • You aren't able to do analysis in SF, you have to have certain addons which usually cost more.
Read Jillian Papa's full review
Edward Phillips profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Salesforce for Nonprofits has so many great free add-ons that enhance the experience!
  • Salesforce for Nonprofits' reporting tools are incredibly helpful and allow you to analyze your data in a very detailed way.
  • Salesforce for Nonprofits also has a lot of great partnerships, like with our online donation platform so all of that is able to sync automatically which saves us loads of time and money!
  • Within Salesforce for Nonprofits there could be some enhancements around soft credits for when a donor gives through a donor-advised fund.
  • Another enhancement would be how it works between accounts/contacts - this is not always seamless.
Read Edward Phillips's full review
Kelsie Hamilton profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Customizable- we travel a lot, so we were able to add in a Trip Planner tab to track.
  • Reports function- at its base, I can get reports very quickly
  • Ease of use- we have a range of ages and experience on our team and it's been a simple process for everyone to be on-boarded.
  • Dashboards- although I've figured them out, only 1 or 2 people on the team actually know how to build and use them. I'm sure that I could use some more help on this.
  • Note taking- we are on a lot of calls with grantees. Logging a call or adding a note can be tedious. Currently, there are no functions to help organize, bullet-point or bold certain sections.
  • Tasks/Notes- they've been pretty much useless to the team. I can see the benefit of them, but they're really clunky to use.
Read Kelsie Hamilton's full review
Geoffrey Seiler profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Excellent contact management database that allows one to quickly sort, group, and manage different stakeholders and organizations.
  • Service Console provides an easy global solution to transfer customer concerns to the appropriate individual or teams.
  • Reporting features are used to provide consistent updates regarding our events, customer service, and travel.
  • Improved version histories could help prevent miscommunication or revert undesired changes
  • Was difficult to implement across our offices around the globe, and we've had some difficulties in ensuring that all offices are using the tools in the same way.
  • Over-customization makes can make integration with other systems more difficult or impossible.
Read Geoffrey Seiler's full review
Lindsay Solomon profile photo

• Customizable to our needs
  • Integrates well with third-party apps
  • The latest Pardot in Lightning integration has been buggy, but we are still able to use Pardot in the native app
  • Some tools need to be moved to Lightning still, but you can always switch back and forth
Read Lindsay Solomon's full review
December 21, 2018

Salesforce is Amazing

• Keeps track of notes.
  • Helps build a pipeline of potential donors.
  • Makes sure no information is lost during transitions.
  • Was quite hard to put in place.
  • Had some trouble training new staff.
  • Vocabulary and terms varied from our old CRM solution.

Salesforce for Nonprofits Scorecard Summary

About Salesforce for Nonprofits

Salesforce for Nonprofits, the Salesforce.org Nonprofit Cloud, is a nonprofit constituent relationship management platform from Salesforce, which supports constituent engagement, fundraising, and grants. Nonprofit editions contain Salesforce Lightning Edition along with the former Nonprofit Success Pack (NPSP) combined.

Salesforce for Nonprofits Technical Details