Products that are considered exceptional by their customers based on a variety of criteria win TrustRadius awards. Learn more about the types of TrustRadius awards to make the best purchase decision. More about TrustRadius Awards
Publish to PDF (132)
Report sharing and collaboration (119)
Report Formatting Templates (116)
Formatting capabilities (134)
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of SAP Crystal, and make your voice heard!
Upgrade Version to SAP Crystal Reports 2020
SAP Crystal Reports 2020 64-Bit
SAP Crystal Reports 2016 32-Bit
Entry-level set up fee?
- Setup fee optional
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
- Supported: Administration via Web Interface
- Supported: Live Connection to External Data
- Supported: Snapshot of External Data
- Supported: OLAP (Pre-processed cube representation)
- Supported: ROLAP (SQL-layer querying)
- Supported: Multi-Data Source Reporting (Blending)
- Supported: Data warehouse / dictionary layer
- Supported: MS Excel Workbooks
- Supported: Text Files (CSV, etc)
- Supported: Oracle
- Supported: MS SQL Server
- Supported: IBM DB2
- Supported: Postgres
- Supported: MySQL
- Supported: ODBC
- Supported: EMC Greenplum
- Supported: HP Vertica
- Supported: SAP Hana
- Supported: Teradata
- Supported: Salesforce
- Supported: SAP
- Supported: Pixel Perfect reports
- Supported: Customizable dashboards
- Supported: Report Formatting Templates
- Supported: Drill-down analysis
- Supported: Formatting capabilities
- Supported: Integration with R or other statistical packages
- Supported: Report sharing and collaboration
- Supported: Publish to Web
- Supported: Publish to PDF
- Supported: Output Raw Supporting Data
- Supported: Report Versioning
- Supported: Report Delivery Scheduling
- Supported: Delivery to Remote Servers
- Supported: Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization
- Supported: Multi-User Support (named login)
- Supported: Role-Based Security Model
- Supported: Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
- Supported: Report-Level Access Control
- Supported: Table-Level Access Control (BI-layer)
- Supported: Field-Level Access Control (BI-layer)
- Supported: Single Sign-On (SSO)
- Supported: Responsive Design for Web Access
- Supported: Mobile Application
- Supported: Dashboard / Report / Visualization Interactivity on Mobile
- Supported: Java API
- Supported: Themeable User Interface (UI)
- Supported: Customizable Platform (Open Source)
- Detailed information for SAP Crystal Server 2016’s supported platforms, such as Windows and Linux OS, browser, LDAP and hardware support
- Languages supported with SAP Crystal Reports 2016
- Product features to leverage with SAP Crystal Solutions for the small to midsize business
- Pixel-perfect reports created with SAP Crystal Solutions for small to midsize business
- Business goals to achieve with SAP Crystal Solutions for small to midsize business
- Implementation costs to consider with SAP Crystal Solutions for small to midsize business
- Comparison of features by version for SAP Crystal Reports and SAP Crystal Server software
- SAP Crystal Reports for Visual Studio
- SAP Crystal Reports for Eclipse
|Operating Systems||Windows, Linux|
|Mobile Application||Apple iOS, Android|
|Supported Languages||English, French, German, Japanese, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, Italian, Dutch, Russian, Korean, Traditional Chinese, Portuguese, Swedish, Polish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Thai, Czech, Hungarian, Slovakian, Turkish, Romanian, Slovenian|
- It can connect to various data sources
- Quick logins and authorization syncing with SSO
- It may be a bit hard to setup for a new user.
- While it may be hard to setup it has a lot of great functionality that will come in handy once you are comfortable with it.
There is a good power of customization for end user with the help of SAP Crystal to generate pdf, excel as well JSON format documents easily
- Template Standardization
- Multiple Export Formats
- Automated Interactive report Generation
- Report generation lead time should be improved
- Export options are limited to excel and pdf only
- Frequent updated should be provided
Automated report delivery requires the user to be aware of sql which cannot be expected from all users.
Should support more document export formats and improve the UI for SAP B1 Users
Also their user community is a good source for clearing any issues and have a reliable community of verified users ensuring the apt solution is received in case of a problem
- It can connect to different data sources
- Generates report with attractive charts and tables
- Very flexible and easily customize-able
- A little programming related to SQL and .NET is required for the efficient use of the tool
- Adjusting spaces between multiple rows is a bit difficult task
- Documentation part should be improved
2. For a person working in sales; this will help to generate sales reports.
3. It can be use in the finance and accounts departments also for budget sheets, expense sheets etc..
- Output in various formats
- Multiple data sources
- Summarizing data
- Maybe a little bit more easy to drag and drop/WYSIWYG capability
- Highly formatted reporting capabilities.
- Pixel oriented perfect reporting for printing.
- Embedding of dynamic images/logo or barcodes for customized reports.
- Easy to share with other users.
- Dragging and dropping the elements into the canvas to fit in pixels is sometime difficult.
- Exporting the report in Excel looses formatting.
- Learning curve of Crystal is difficult for consultants as it's a bit tricky for data connections.
Only in case where you need row columns based reporting where you can see data in excel like formats you should not go for SAP Crystal Reports.
- Fairly easy to learn the report designer. Even for people without strong database knowledge.
- Ability to reuse existing report components.
- Can design reports targeted for printing (can cleanly handle pagination).
- Can report from multiple data sources without the need for a data warehouse.
- Better handling of imported images from a database. Need to maintain aspect ratio.
- Add option to disable grid lines.
- Changing data source on same server needs a little TLC. Still have to change each table instead of just updating the connection.
- Pivot Table formatting.
- Chart formatting.
- Importing formatted text from MS Word.
- Support for HTML text formatting.
Fun backdoor functionality to be able to execute stored procedures to updated data within the database and provide results without the need to build custom application solutions.
Not very useful for exporting to MS Word for contracts that need further editing. Pivot tables and charting capabilities are very simple when compared to MS Excel and are only used when basic functionality is needed.
However, SAP seems to have lost its focus on Crystal and has not made much of an attempt at keeping it competitive with other products. There has been a push to start exploring other options.
- Reporting which is timely.
- Timely with financial management and easy to use.
- Intuitive user interface and customizable dashboard.
- Customizable reporting.
- Cloud based and documentation.
- Improve on training users.
- Hard setup
- No regular update
- Complex queries are supported through the use of stored procedures. Because of this, we are able to create very complex reports to satisfy consumer needs.
- User-friendly formats are supported and we can display these reports online.
- Running multiple queries without using stored procedures.
- We need to have developers write SQL code. Drag and drop type report creation can be difficult to accurately create without writing SQL. SQL relationships must be clearly defined for the drag and drop to work. This makes sense, otherwise, how would the tool know what the relationships are?
- Hard initial setup
- Clean format for PDF is nice
- Connects to database to refresh queries
- It's quite clunky setting up a page footer or report footer.
- Headers are similarly hard to set up
- Advanced formulas.
- Producing automated PDF documents.
- Lining up formulas with database fields.
- Occasional crashing.
- Pixel perfect reporting.
- Enterprise grade stability.
- Dated technology.
- There's a lack of web-based development for Crystal reports (though it exists for WEBI and the like).
- Predefined Reports.
- Corporate style guide.
- Not for user to create the reports is a complex tool which needs IT assistance.
All of the reported materials are tweaked, edited, gathered, modified in the system itself. The formatting and the conditional output of the reports are really good and we could find no equal software to this from the perspective of the reporting. All in all, this is a well structured and easy-to-use system with extensive functionalities which can help in crucially reducing work-time by managing some necessary reporting tasks.
- Easy to use UI. Basically, even a non-technical user can learn to do everything in a week.
- The speed of compiling the data.
- Useful templates.
- Easy interface for integrating the data in the system from external sources.
- Scheduled reports.
- There are some specific points in the system which might become buggy or not easy to use, thus, require support.
- A lot of functionalities to learn for new users.
- It has many interesting tools and functions when used with Visual Studio IDE. This allows us to integrate many features of the IDE to design each visual element using drag and drop controls to customize reports
- We have been able to make successful connections to diverse data sources including SQL Server, MySQL, local and in the cloud
- You can perform complex queries by incorporating SQL statements
- There are no limits as to the type of data or objects that I can use. I can format the changes, add mathematical and logical functions, also add images configure the color fonts, all in design mode
- There is no backward compatibility with versions of previous reports. Some updates could cause data loss
- New versions take a long time to arrive
I do not recommend it for temporary use or small projects.
- Crystal Reports allows us to create a consistent template for all of our reports.
- Crystal Reports and Server allows us to house a repository for all of our reports to make them easy to find and update when necessary.
- Crystal Reports can connect to a wide variety of data sources.
- Crystal Reports can be a little daunting when first implementing. There are a lot of nuances in learning how to truly master this software and it can be frustrating at times.
- There are a lot of features in Crystal Reports that do not always work as expected. You may find yourself searching the Web for how to get the results that you want.
- Crystal Reports does not provide updates on a regular basis. New concepts and ideas may be a while in implementing.
- The initial setup can be frustrating. There are times when you need to go outside of the install package to make it work with particular data sources, etc. It is not always a 100% install.
- Excelent integration on SAP B1 client install
- Very easy for the user to access / export reports data
- User permissions/controls to enable/disable unwanted users to access the reports
- If IT department has no previous knowledge of crystal reports they will need training in order to start using it
- It would be great to have objects integrated on the reports
- Page formatting.
- Query generation.
- Capturing requests at runtime.
- Connecting to the database is complex and error-prone.
- Scripting is done in Visual Basic for Applications, and can be hard to debug.
- Changing the database underneath it can lead to problems getting back in sync.
- SAP Crystal is easy to use and easy to learn it makes pulling data out of Viewpoint easy and quick.
- SAP Crystal has a ton of strengths when comparing weaknesses. One of its strengths is the speed of it. It pulls data super quickly.
- SAP Crystal has a little room for improvement in combining data tables and making it a little less confusing.
- Seamless parsing of data across different data sources.
- Ability to create sub-records and drill-down feature for granular data analysis.
- Complex queries or SQl statements are done in seconds.
- The export of reports to Excel is very cumbersome and the results are difficult to format.
- The design of reports and the graphical features (e.g. charts) feel quite rigid.
- The learning curve for a non-programmer is incredibly steep, making Crystal a specialty tool.
- Great visualization for static format & precise tasks: For presentation to senior management /ex-co/vendors where concise decisions need to be made, Crystal is a nice choice to slide data into presentable views.
- Diverse data source connect: We have used it to write reports using data from DB2, SQL, Progress, Excel spreadsheets, XML data, Access, and Lotus Notes databases. It can also be used to join different database types together in one report.
- It uses the "recurring bands" structure for page layout which is efficient and fungible for generating different types of reports. Crystal doesn't require that we set up a metadata layer before creating reports and provides direct access to tables and dimensions.
- It is not very user-friendly for learning as during designs and debugging the error decryption is tedious and hard to figure out.
- When using sub-reports embedded in the main reports for different views of the same data sourced from multiple tables, this makes the process crazy slow. This is annoying and needs severe improvements.
- The visual capabilities need to seriously catch up with respect to market competitors. Security is also a concern at times while accessing data.
- SAP Crystal Reports has great 3rd party support that extends its out of the box capabilities
- SAP Crystal Reports can connect and use almost any data type
- Crystal Reports connects to all ODBC or OLEDB data sources. You can also connect to older mdb files and even allows you to get data from windows file folders
- Crystal Reports charting engine is ok but compared to some other visualization products available it is behind the times.
- Crystal Reports uses a proprietary format for its data storage, using an open format (like XML) would be much better
- You cannot add add a structured table object to the page layout, you can only use lines and boxes
- Customer support is available 24/7 helping new users embrace and learn how to use the software efficiently.
- The reports generated are usually in many formats from formulas, cross-tabs and sub-reports thereby helping us understand our data.
- Can generate reports from data obtained from any virtual source
- The one-time fee paid per user is a bit high and may discourage small and mid-sized companies with many users not to acquire the software.
- A stable internet connection is required for the software to function well.
- There is no free trial plan of the software and it ought to be available to help in piloting purposes.
- Merge and log data very easily.
- User interface is good.
- Different types of fonts and graphs and charts to analyse data easily.
- Hard to learn. It took a lot of time to learn this software.
- Database used as a source is quite difficult. We always have to contact technical team for that.