We use SAP PowerDesigner as our E-R Modeling tool for our application suite. We have twenty-four databases with approximately 3000 tables …
SAP Sybase PowerDesigner is the ultimate tool for creating conceptual, logical, and physical data modeling for many database vendors. It …
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of SAP PowerDesigner, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Would you like us to let the vendor know that you want pricing?
22 people want pricing too
SAP PowerDesigner promises to help you plan and manage complex business transformation initiatives. The software’s data modeling tools let you build a blueprint of your current enterprise architecture and visualize the impact of change before it happens. Automatically capture architecture layers and requirements, tap into a powerful metadata repository, and share discoveries with your team.
- Supported: Align business and IT
- Supported: Improve team productivity
- Supported: Document your existing systems
SAP PowerDesigner (formerly from Sybase) is an enterprise architecture modeling tool.
The most common users of SAP PowerDesigner are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees) and the Financial Services industry.
Companies can't remove reviews or game the system. Here's why
We use SAP PowerDesigner as our E-R Modeling tool for our application suite. We have twenty-four databases with approximately 3000 tables and 50,000 data elements. We use a repository-based version of the tool and are able to create multiple models that can be used to show various subject areas within the system. We have also taken advantage of customizing the templates to generate objects based on the DDL for the table. PD is an enterprise approved tool and our group has used it since 2001. I personally have used it since 1996.
- Data modeling
- Maintaining a consistent data dictionary through the use of the repository.
- Custom templates for generating objects off of tables.
- It took some time to figure out how to leverage the power of the repository. Some better examples in the documentation would have been helpful.
SAP PowerDesigner allows our team of data modelers to work and collaborate from a single repository and single data dictionary. This helps enforce consistency as data elements are referenced in other objects. Prior to our use of PD, we might have an element named "ppt" in one table, "participant" in another table and "part" in a third table. By forcing everything to be used from the data dictionary, we avoid these situations because everyone has to go to the dictionary. And we are able to easily do peer reviews on models before they are released because we are collaborating through the use of the repository.
We did have to reach out to support to learn how to properly utilize the repository feature and share the data model across many developers. Support was able to help us get this set up correctly. The downside was it took us several weeks before we gave up and contacted support. We should have done that earlier. I would say, however, the documentation wasn't clear on how to do this. So support was a great big help!
SAP Sybase PowerDesigner is the ultimate tool for creating conceptual, logical, and physical data modeling for many database vendors. It also provides ease of multi-user architecture and development environments with a supporting repository structure. Team governance and object standardization can be applied as well. It supports various database vendors, and impact analysis is one of the most powerful aspects of the tool.
- Impact Analysis
- The domain structure helps you to handle different data types to unify.
- Moving between from conceptual model to logical model and from logical model to physical model is so easy.
- It also excels at implementation of database vendor-specific physical options.
- The repository structure helps you to use in multi developer and architect based organizations by the check in and check out mechanism.
- It also has a fully configurable naming convention implementation.
- Coloring is simple with format copying and pasting option.
- Licensing cost is based on user count
- Free licensed competitors exist, and they perform similar functions
- New database structures could be implemented more easily