https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/8Q/b9/W47TSZK0C41J.PNGScale Computing - Hyper-ConvergenceScale is being used as the primary virtualization platform running all production VMs as well as a replication endpoint for DR in a data center. We run all server VMs on the Scale platform and then have a snapshot schedule that replicates them offsite to a datacenter for disaster recovery purposes.,Scale offers a great dashboard for viewing VM details. Installation of clusters is much simpler than other VM platforms. Console view of VMs is in web browser and clientless, which makes administration from any machine simpler.,I would like to see the ability to mount snapshot points in time rather than having to clone a full machine in order to access older data. I believe this is being released in the latest version, but we had a difficult time restoring data without creating a Linux machine and mounting a disk. Import and export of VMs isn't as easy as other platforms. Third party tools had to be used to import VMs. Exporting VMs would require the same time and expense. I would like to see more access to back end disk data rather than relying on support. I know Scale is targeted to shops with smaller IT departments and the support is great, but I had to go through support in order to get a disk list on the cluster when I could have just done that myself.,8,10,We currently run an Inventory Management system for a manufacturing company on the Scale platform. It is literally the life blood of the company as everyone in the company uses it to track their product from start to finish. This particular application releases monthly updates and Scale has been an excellent way for use to test deployment of updates and move them into production.,Scale has provided positive ROI in a reduction of hardware purchased for running servers,Top Hyperconverged Solution with great support and simplicity.We use Scale Computing's HC3 servers for running our entire IT and OT Operations. We are always looking for improvements in the IT Infrastructure and to efficiently use our IT Resources. Scale computing provides us with a ton of great benefits. We reduced our foot print in the server room by half which helped in reduced power consumption. We were using a virtualization solution from a big name company and we found ourselves inundated with managing performance, licensing, and increasing maintenance. As we had three different vendors to deal with every time we had an issue on the system, it made it very difficult to troubleshoot and resolve problems. Scale computing was our answer to consolidate services, run servers more efficiently and reduced or eliminated daily maintenance tasks.,Simple solution to managing storage, virtualization and snapshots on one page with not more than 3 clicks Excellent technical support with support built into the suite for quick access when required by the Scale Computing Technicians. High performance out of the Flash and Spinning Disks through HyperCore Enhanced Automated Tiering (HEAT) High availability feature helps in ensuring that there is no single point of failure,Enhanced Networking Stack for implementing more complex networking architectures. The current networking piece that is built in is very advanced but more customization and options would help with better implementation of the solution. Snapshots are flawless and effortless, however I would like to see more integration for Backup on to the cloud similar to the other virtualization provider.,10,10,We run applications which range from Identity Management, Physical Security, Databases and resource intense servers. We have run every type of scenario and Scale has so far handled them very well. We use a backup replication host which is replicating a 3 node solution and we have not seen any degradation of performance. The critical application that run on the solutions are SCM, ERP Systems, HR Systems to name a few. On the Operational Technology side, we run some of the reporting and monitoring servers for utilities etc.,I try to look at ROI in terms of how much time and effort a solution saves me during operation. Scale has practically removed downtime during upgrades and this is a solution we believe will run for a 10+ year period. So the ROI not just improved for us but we have assurance that we can continue to upgrade and add more Scale Computing Solution as needed. For a company which is growing, Scale provides us with sufficient room for growth. With their solution, we are insured for a growth for up to 50% in the next 10 years when in reality we would hardly meet that goal. We are looking at 10%-15% in 5 years.,Nutanix and VMware ESXiScale is a great solution with second to none supportScale HC3 is being used across the entire organization for all our server needs. It is housing all our VMs as well as all of our network storage. It has solved the issues with VMWare licensing, an outdated SAN as well as multiple host servers required to properly run a VMWare environment.,The best thing about Scale is its simplicity. I used a VMWare solution for the past 5 years and never really felt like I had a grip on how to fully use it. I've had Scale in place for less than 6 months and am so confident in it, I feel as though I could almost train someone else on how to use it. Scale's technical support is second to none. I've had a couple of issues with it and everyone I've spoken with is knowledgeable, friendly and eager to help resolve any issue. With previous solutions, updating firmware is a large endeavor compared to Scale. Scale actually recommends doing it during production time instead of scheduling downtime during evenings or weekends. It makes managing everything easier without me having to come into work on my off time.,As with everything, I wish the price was a bit cheaper but by comparison to others but it's not bad when compared to similar solutions. Not that it was needed in my case but the option to have a Scale engineer on site for setup might be nice for some instances. The scheduling of the setup calls and training could be explained a little better and even possibly a quick overview of how to use the scheduling portion of the customer portal.,10,10,We run everything on our Scale solution. This includes a SQL server for our ERP software, multiple licensing applications as well as file servers and domain controllers. I even have some desktops set up for VPN purposes. Everything works flawlessly. I can't imagine a scenario where Scale wouldn't meet our needs.,Considering the short time I've had Scale, it's hard to speak to ROI but before purchasing we did compare costs of our previous solution in terms of licensing costs and future hardware costs and Scale was the less expensive option. From purely a power consumption perspective, the Scale solution is definitely a cost saving feature. I find myself with additional circuits that aren't needed any longer in my server room. Even in the short time I've had Scale in place, I can already tell that the uptime is better than with our previous solution.,Nutanix and VMware ESXiScale HC3, Hyper-Convergeance the Easy Way!We replaced our physical servers with the Scale HC3 solution at all three plants in the US. We host everything from file and print services to our ERP system and database on them. We also host a terminal server and a variety of other server infrastructure on the HC3 Cluster. Disaster recovery and business continuity are also completely managed on three clusters around our organization reducing the need for expensive and hard to manage DR solutions. Management and cost of operation of all these resources have been drastically simplified by this technology. The web management interface is simple and easy to use, yet extremely powerful and comprehensive. Because the Scale nodes have such a small 1-U footprint, we've found cooling and energy consumption has also been minimized.,Simplicity - Scale HC3 takes the guesswork and time investment out of managing a virtualized server environment and you don't need to go to expensive classes to become an expert. Performance has been stellar and reliability is unmatched. Our Scale nodes have been up and online since installation three years ago. The support staff is there to help if you ever need it and they'll look into your system at any time to make sure everything is running as designed. The virtualized environment is robust and scale-able and there's no need to do a server refresh ever again. If a node fails, the VMs migrate over to another node and no one except the IT staff knows about it. You can keep your old nodes in place until the disks fall out of them and you'll be covered.,It would be nice if we could add a storage only node with very little or no processing power. This would be nice because we wouldn't have to acquire server CALs every time we add storage.,10,10,Our ERP system runs on our Scale environment and it's flawless. Scale's data prioritization algorithm allows us to assign solid-state storage to that application so it performs with lightning-like speed. Our AutoDesk Vault application has synchronized instances across two of our locations allowing local copies of our design models for our drafting and engineering teams to have instant access to. We replicate our VMs to the nodes at the other plants so we get offsite backups which can be instantly stood up to verify their content or recover files.,We've been very happy with our decision to use Scale for our server refresh. It's been a positive experience by all accounts.,VMware ESXiScale Computing HC3 saved our IT InfrastructureThe Scale Computing HC3 solution is used across the entire organization. It replaced over 50U of traditional hardware down to 3U. Saving us a lot of aggravation dealing with multiple third party vendors for support and maintenance agreements, while simplifying our own internal support and maintenance of over 50 Virtual machines. The savings was so significant, that we realized an 18 month ROI and saved tremendously on energy costs. Additionally, a battery backup unit now provides us with over 7 hours of backup power vs. 45 minutes previously.,One point of contact for everything infrastructure, namely storage, compute and hypervisor. Updates can be applied with very little downtime if any, and no longer needs weeks/months of preparation. Recovering data is as easy as booting up snapshots, which we are now using as a backup tool. Can't wait to roll out Scale Computing at our disaster recovery site for painless failover and failback.,Wish there was flash drive when we purchased it, but they have it now, and actually have a retrofit for our existing units which we will consider implementing shortly.,10,10,We run a SQL based document management system from OpenText that manages close to 30TB of documents. Moving to Scale Computing HC3 gave users much faster search and fetch times by a factor of 5. We run 4 Exchange Servers along with 40 other application servers, which have all run seamlessly in the last two years. The hypervisor (KVM) allowed us to import old and new servers that are critical to our business. We converted many standalone servers to consolidate our physical footprint, for better management and performance.,18 month ROI, need I say more? Less time managing server infrastructure allows the IT team to focus on other projects. Increased battery backup time means "no" worry and/or stress whenever there is a power storm.,Nutanix,85,2,Yes,Price Product Features Product Usability Positive Sales Experience with the Vendor Third-party Reviews,This is one for the history books. That is how I see the decision to introduce Scale Computing to our organization a few months after joining a new organization. A lot was riding on this direction, potentially my job should things go south. That said the solution never let me down, it established a better sense of trust from the executives and the IT Team, who are all now Scale converts. Going back, I wouldn't change a thing, and will gladly deploy Scale Computing in a heartbeat today and the next.
Windows, Linux, Unix
Scale Computing HC3

Scale Computing HC3 Reviews

Scale Computing HC3
Showing 164 of 240 Scale Computing HC3 ratings and reviews.

Jeremy Robinson profile photo
April 04, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale Computing - Hyper-Convergence"

Pros and Cons

• Scale offers a great dashboard for viewing VM details.
  • Installation of clusters is much simpler than other VM platforms.
  • Console view of VMs is in web browser and clientless, which makes administration from any machine simpler.
  • I would like to see the ability to mount snapshot points in time rather than having to clone a full machine in order to access older data. I believe this is being released in the latest version, but we had a difficult time restoring data without creating a Linux machine and mounting a disk.
  • Import and export of VMs isn't as easy as other platforms. Third party tools had to be used to import VMs. Exporting VMs would require the same time and expense.
  • I would like to see more access to back end disk data rather than relying on support. I know Scale is targeted to shops with smaller IT departments and the support is great, but I had to go through support in order to get a disk list on the cluster when I could have just done that myself.
Read Jeremy Robinson's full review
Durgesh Kalya profile photo
March 21, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Top Hyperconverged Solution with great support and simplicity."

Pros and Cons

• Simple solution to managing storage, virtualization and snapshots on one page with not more than 3 clicks
  • Excellent technical support with support built into the suite for quick access when required by the Scale Computing Technicians.
  • High performance out of the Flash and Spinning Disks through HyperCore Enhanced Automated Tiering (HEAT)
  • High availability feature helps in ensuring that there is no single point of failure
  • Enhanced Networking Stack for implementing more complex networking architectures. The current networking piece that is built in is very advanced but more customization and options would help with better implementation of the solution.
  • Snapshots are flawless and effortless, however I would like to see more integration for Backup on to the cloud similar to the other virtualization provider.
Read Durgesh Kalya's full review
Tracy Burton profile photo
March 12, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale is a great solution with second to none support"

Pros and Cons

• The best thing about Scale is its simplicity. I used a VMWare solution for the past 5 years and never really felt like I had a grip on how to fully use it. I've had Scale in place for less than 6 months and am so confident in it, I feel as though I could almost train someone else on how to use it.
  • Scale's technical support is second to none. I've had a couple of issues with it and everyone I've spoken with is knowledgeable, friendly and eager to help resolve any issue.
  • With previous solutions, updating firmware is a large endeavor compared to Scale. Scale actually recommends doing it during production time instead of scheduling downtime during evenings or weekends. It makes managing everything easier without me having to come into work on my off time.
  • As with everything, I wish the price was a bit cheaper but by comparison to others but it's not bad when compared to similar solutions.
  • Not that it was needed in my case but the option to have a Scale engineer on site for setup might be nice for some instances.
  • The scheduling of the setup calls and training could be explained a little better and even possibly a quick overview of how to use the scheduling portion of the customer portal.
Read Tracy Burton's full review
Kyle Legg profile photo
March 09, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale HC3, Hyper-Convergeance the Easy Way!"

Pros and Cons

• Simplicity - Scale HC3 takes the guesswork and time investment out of managing a virtualized server environment and you don't need to go to expensive classes to become an expert.
  • Performance has been stellar and reliability is unmatched. Our Scale nodes have been up and online since installation three years ago.
  • The support staff is there to help if you ever need it and they'll look into your system at any time to make sure everything is running as designed.
  • The virtualized environment is robust and scale-able and there's no need to do a server refresh ever again. If a node fails, the VMs migrate over to another node and no one except the IT staff knows about it. You can keep your old nodes in place until the disks fall out of them and you'll be covered.
  • It would be nice if we could add a storage only node with very little or no processing power. This would be nice because we wouldn't have to acquire server CALs every time we add storage.
Read Kyle Legg's full review
Dominique Joseph Chung profile photo
March 08, 2019

Review: "Scale Computing HC3 saved our IT Infrastructure"

Pros and Cons

• One point of contact for everything infrastructure, namely storage, compute and hypervisor.
  • Updates can be applied with very little downtime if any, and no longer needs weeks/months of preparation.
  • Recovering data is as easy as booting up snapshots, which we are now using as a backup tool.
  • Can't wait to roll out Scale Computing at our disaster recovery site for painless failover and failback.
  • Wish there was flash drive when we purchased it, but they have it now, and actually have a retrofit for our existing units which we will consider implementing shortly.
Read Dominique Joseph Chung's full review
David Roden profile photo
March 05, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale: Smart, Simple, Effective, Reliable, and so much more..."

Pros and Cons

• Scale's hyperconverged environment presents a single pool of resources that support our VMs. It intelligently handles decisions related to storage provisioning and load balancing across nodes.
  • Snapshots and replicas are created in a few clicks within a simple to use web interface. Gone are layers of settings found in some other products we've used.
  • The 'at-a-glance' dashboard tells me everything I need to know about the current status and utilization of the Scale cluster.
  • The ability to cut, copy, and paste into a console in a browser tab would be wonderful.
  • I appreciate the ability to click on the storage gauge on the dashboard and drill down into detail. Shouldn't that be available on every gauge?
  • The ability to schedule exports, restarts, etc from the management interface would be useful.
Read David Roden's full review
Marshall Curtis profile photo
February 22, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "HC3: Flexibility AND Performance"

Pros and Cons

• Simplified management. Management of the cluster is via a single web interface, it is simple and does not require extensive training to navigate or operate making it accessible to mid-level staff.
  • The flexibility of the hardware mix within a cluster. Allowing a variety of hardware levels and ages within a cluster and the system's ability to assigned loads to best leverage this mix of hardware allows us to manage cost by not "over buying" hardware capacity to meet a few high demand workloads.
  • Support by Scale. We have had few needs to contact support which is the first plus, but secondly, when we have had needs or questions responses have been prompt and accurate with first contact resolution.
  • The tools for migrating to the HC3 platform have a few issues and caused issues with some security keys and certificates. After a couple issues we ended up migrating key servers by using a fresh build and migrating data with was more disruptive but more successful.
Read Marshall Curtis's full review
Chris Waddilove profile photo
February 20, 2019

"Scale Computing HC3 - First Time User Review"

Pros and Cons

• Snapshots - CoW makes things very quick and painless.
  • Replication to another cluster - Painlessly simple and reliable.
  • Replication to the cloud - Similarly simple with added peace of mind.
  • Ease of use - Even for someone highly technical, it is nice to "take a break" from the crazy options of VMWare and others to just have a basic-controlled hypervisor.
  • Cost - While I understand support/maintenance makes up a large part of it, the cost for expanding RAM, for example, in an existing cluster is several times more than if you were maintaining hardware yourself.
  • Licensing (Microsoft) - Could use assistance from Scale in determining/calculating the best Microsoft license layout (how many cores? how many CPUs? datacenter vs standard?).
  • USB - While not a complete necessity, it would be nice to have a feature to map a USB port/device to a virtual machine. The hardware itself has several USB ports but none are really usable. Digi USB Anywhere worked well for our case, but still, it would be nice to do the odd data dump/backup/restore via USB drive (ex. really old project reference from the 1990s stored on external USB).
Read Chris Waddilove's full review
Jeff Miller profile photo
March 30, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale Computing, the right systems for the right time."

• Redundancy
  • Simple interface
  • 24/7/365 support (onshore)
  • Relatively inexpensive compared to VMware/SAN solutions.
  • Needs a much more robust multi-site management suite
  • Hardware choices need to be expanded. I know they are working on this actively.
  • More detailed backup instructions. The interface is too simple.
Read Jeff Miller's full review
Mark Simmons profile photo
March 29, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Hidden Gem For Education CTOs"

Pros and Cons

• Customer Support - A level of service that all vendors should strive to reach. Their customer service is equally fast and reliable as the product. In the two years of having the HC3, we experienced one hard drive failure. The support team was assisting us within minutes, had the drive replaced in less than 24 hours, and had our node fully functional with no disruption in service nor any data loss.
  • Migration - One of the quickest and easiest among all VM solutions. Older Windows operating systems had compatibility issues, but all servers running Windows Server 2003 and higher migrated within minutes with two simply clicks.
  • Reliability - The HC3 manages to work seamlessly in real-time with no indication from the end user during maintenance, recovery, or making changes to the VMs. In two years, we have had only one hard drive issue and no software issues.
  • Simplicity - The HC3 has the best of both worlds. It's simpler than the free Hyper-V and includes most tools one needs within VMware, yet the installation, operation, and recovery is leaps and bounds easier to manipulate.
  • The only negative is the maintenance support costs. What a dilemma Scale has as they produced a robust and reliable product yet the support costs for a 3 node system is almost $6000. After paying this for 2 years and only having one hard drive failure, I have spent $12,000 on one support ticket and three software updates. It defeats the maintenance cost savings.
Read Mark Simmons's full review
David Boyer profile photo
March 22, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Extremely Happy With Scale Computing"

Pros and Cons

• "Single pane of glass" management is fantastic. So it is easy to make changes to compute and storage settings.
  • System Reliability: the system has been completely reliable. Ran flawlessly when a disk was lost. Replacing the disk was easy and rebuilt without any issues. Upgrading versions was easy and without issues.
  • Support: has been exceptional. Very easy and fast to reach and helpful with every question or concern that we've asked them.
  • Migration from our old servers went flawlessly. The third party vendor that installed and migrated us did an excellent job.
  • Built-in secure remote ability that I can enable or disable is awesome.
  • Reducing storage space is a bot more involved than any other processes but I've never had to do that.
Read David Boyer's full review
Todd Naveau profile photo
March 20, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "HC3 will change your server world!"

Pros and Cons

• Backups. I love how I can create multiple scheduled backups for one machine so I can have hourly, daily, and weekly backups of our SQL and then can set lower backup schedule for something as simple and the Domain Controller to once a week.
  • Updates. Because we have multiple nodes, we can do the updates and the machines will auto load a balance so nothing has to be down while updating.
  • Speed. These units are fast, like bringing up a fresh install of Windows Server 2016 in 20 minutes. Including the install! I find myself duplicating machines all the time just to run small tests because creating a duplicate only takes like 1 minute.
  • I did notice when we were switching from our old servers to the HC3 that the importing process was not all that easy unless you were already running on a newer hypervisor.
Read Todd Naveau's full review
Jeffrey Wright profile photo
March 19, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Systems Worth Investing In!"

Pros and Cons

• Spin up of new resources is a breeze, at a fraction of the cost of other VM Host Systems.
  • It has allowed us to move older systems into VM and has extended the life of older software suites that require older operating systems, mitigating and extending the life of legacy code.
  • Updates run smoothly, even when VMs are running, again HC3 keeps us running.
  • I would say, that importing systems from hardware to VM could use a boost in functionality, sometimes a system needs to be moved fast before the hardware it's currently running dies. Although I have just a little experience with this type of conversion, I think it could improve.
  • I have noticed a discrepancy between what the HC3 interface shows as the drive usage is and what the OS in the VM reports.
Read Jeffrey Wright's full review
Mike Maner profile photo
March 19, 2019

Review: "Scale Computing HC3: the best VM platform"

Pros and Cons

• The initial install was simple and straight forward, we purchased setup support but didn't need to use it.
  • Virtual machine setup is fast and easy.
  • The ability to store ISOs for new virtual machine installs is a great time-saving device.
  • The need for backups of virtual machines is satisfied with the built-in redundancy.
  • The firmware update process requires a complete restart if the system. The ability to schedule upgrades would be great.
  • The UI is a bit cumbersome, using icons instead of labels is not SOP but it works.
Read Mike Maner's full review
Chris Selby profile photo
March 14, 2019

Review: "Scale Computing HC3 has saved my department money and provided countless hours of needed rest!!!"

Pros and Cons

• Ease of deployment and ease of administration. With limited IT staff we are able to react to changes quickly and from almost anywhere.
  • Built-in replication. This allows us to implement backup and disaster recovery for significantly less money and administration overhead.
  • Excellent performance. We are able to satisfy our SLA's without a large IT team.
  • No GPU support. Some of our users are going to need GPU support for their virtual desktops. Without GPU's it will require significant CPU horsepower to make up for it.
  • Redistribution of workloads between HC3 nodes. This is a higher end feature but would be nice in the event there was some sort of issue with a virtual machine needing resources that were available on another node.
  • Overall network performance metrics in the dashboard. Hard to know if you are having network saturation issues as you cannot see cumulative network stats per node. Actually, individual hardware performance statistics per node in the dashboard would be a welcome addition.
Read Chris Selby's full review
Richard Barrie profile photo
March 12, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale: It allowed us to triple our business size without tripling our IT costs."

Pros and Cons

• Speed of new machine deployment: using prebuilt stored clones we can deploy servers virtually within seconds and have them doing their jobs.
  • Redundancy: our DR is simplified and allowed above the 99.9999% uptime we all strive for.
  • Support: immediate support, remotely built into the OS with a very fast turnaround for any problems.
  • The GUI is very limited in its end-user scope, many times we have had minor problems that we could have fixed ourselves but needed Scale to access the system remotely to fix or advise.
  • Parts needed to come quickly, but the company is U.S. based mostly. Having more parts in UK would mean an even faster turn around.
  • When there have been more advanced problems, the GUI and reporting is quite limited. More info could be given to the end user if there was the ability to do so.
Read Richard Barrie's full review
Chris Nixon profile photo
March 11, 2019

Review: "Scale Computing HC3 Hyperconverged systems enabled our organisational change"

Pros and Cons

• As an appliance, it comes ready built and with all licenses included. No VMWare, no vCentre, no fiddly build steps
  • On site resilience is built in to the cluster - and it works; as does cross site replication for BCP/DR
  • Remote support and the pre tested upgrade facility are good and work - our outsourcers hate it as it doesn't need much outside a service desk call to have some Scale
  • Cross site VM migration is a feature on the roadmap we are looking forward to
  • When dealing with hundreds of VMs all needing the same change e.g. replication settings, being able to select those as a group or set would have been a good timesaver
  • Accessibility to external monitoring could be simpler - it takes a support call to turn it on. Whilst it is understandable that end users are kept away from the configs that make it work, some elements such as simple SNMP names and trap settings could be menu driven.
Read Chris Nixon's full review
Caswell Allen profile photo
March 09, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale HC3 -- Perfect for a business on the move"

Pros and Cons

• It is easily deployed -- it comes pre-configured as a cluster and fits into your pre-configured network seamlessly.
  • All hardware is included -- What is required is sent with the purchase, and the installation is fairly straight-forward.
  • Staff Knowledge -- The technical staff knows their product, and are extremely great to work with. It's a great Company to do business with.
  • Maintenance -- Zero downtime during maintenance (Cluster configuration is perfect).
  • None -- It's perfect as is, don't change anything.
Read Caswell Allen's full review
Kelly Mumm profile photo
March 08, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Dumped Xen for Scale"

• Scale is easy to use.
  • Scale has a single web-based interface that allows you to manage all the operations of your VM.
  • Tech support at Scale is responsive and very knowledgeable.
  • Some of the advanced features of the KVM Hyper-visor are not available.
  • Memory overcommit would be nice.
  • The console for the VMs is very basic. I.E. no copy/paste
Read Kelly Mumm's full review
Ben Damon profile photo
March 08, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale Computing HC3: Not your Average Virtual Environment!"

• Support is # 1
  • Simple, intuitive interface
  • Consistently releases updates, and takes customer suggestions for improvements.
  • The ability to reduce hard drive size, online, would be nice.
  • The ability to upgrade old hardware's physical disks would be great.
Read Ben Damon's full review
Greg Madden, CISSP profile photo
March 05, 2019

Scale Computing HC3 Review: "Scale is wonderful, not only as a virtualization platform but for increased DR capabilities as well."

Pros and Cons

• Snapshotting - Scale is great at scheduled snapshots to add a layer of redundancy to any DR plan. it can also send snapshots to a remote scale system to act as a VM platform and a DR platform all at once
  • Cloning - If there is an issue with a machine, it is extremely easy to clone it and work on it outside of production
  • Ease of use - overall getting it set up required 2 or 3 command line commands and the nodes did all the work themselves. Uploading ISOs is easier in Scale than any other hypervisor I've ever used
  • Replication - We utilize a second set of nodes in our DR site that all core servers replicate to hourly. We have never had an issue with failed replications over a VPN
  • More support for importing VMs from XenCenter
  • I wish the main interface was more organized, I know the users can make it very organized by using tags and such, but by default, it is very chaotic
  • Better logs for admins to understand what is going on. The current logs don't let us know anything outside of knowing we need to contact support
  • The ability to expand drive size instead of requiring cloning
Read Greg Madden, CISSP's full review

About Scale Computing HC3

Scale Computing offers edge computing, virtualization, and hyperconverged solutions for customers around the globe. Scale Computing HC3® software promises to eliminate traditional virtualization software, disaster recovery software, servers, and shared storage, replacing these with a fully integrated, highly available system for running applications. The vendor says that, using patented HyperCore™ technology, the HC3 self-healing platform automatically identifies, mitigates, and corrects problems in the infrastructure in real-time, enabling applications to achieve maximum uptime even when local IT resources and staff are scarce. The vendor says ease-of-use, high availability, and TCO are key differentiators. The product works for distributed enterprises, global retailers, and SMBs alike.

According to the vendor, key features and benefits include:

• Install in less than an hour
  • Deploy new VMs in minutes
  • Built-in Browser-based Management
  • Software-defined, hybrid storage system with automated tiering
  • Fully integrated, cluster-wide resource utilization and alerts
  • Single vendor support experience, no disparate systems to integrate
  • Integrated all-in-one appliance
  • Scale-out Architecture
  • Mix and match new nodes
  • Incremental resources improve performance of existing workloads
  • Fast and easy to expand, no downtime required
  • No additional licensing required
  • Start small and grow as your business grows
  • No forklift upgrades

Scale Computing HC3 Features

Has featureSimplicity
Has featureHigh Availability
Has featureScalability

Scale Computing HC3 Integrations

Leostream, Cloud Unity - Google

Scale Computing HC3 Competitors

VMware vCenter Server, VMware ESXi, Nutanix, Hyper-V, HPE SimpliVity (formerly OmniCube)

Does not have featureFree Trial Available?No
HC12008,500Per Node
HC1250D15,170Per Node
HC12509,665Per Node
HC1250DF16,750Per Node
HC5250D25,700Per Node

Pricing shown in U.S. Dollar. Pricing for other regions available on request.

Scale Computing HC3 Customer Size Distribution