https://media.trustradius.com/product-logos/8Q/b9/W47TSZK0C41J.PNGScale HC3 - a great hyper-converged solution for SMBWe use Scale to run all the virtual servers in our environment, including Windows file servers, active directory, DNS, and Exchange. We also have a DR cluster attached where we replicate all of those servers. This allows us, as a smaller company, to save on the cost of physical servers and have a reliable virtual environment.,Ease of use - initial setup is very simple, and setting up and using virtual machines through their GUI is even simpler. Customer Support - super fast response times, and very knowledgeable staff. I wish all support teams I deal with were as good as Scale. Scaleability - adding new nodes is a breeze.,Difficult to resize virtual hard drives.,10,10,The most important business-critical application we run on HC3 is Exchange. Everyone knows how important e-mail is in today's business environment. I fully trust in our HC3 environment to keep it, along with our other critical applications running 100% of the time.,The ROI has been fantastic - saved us thousands of dollars in licensing and hardware costs. Ease of use has saved massive amounts of time in setup and management.,VMware ESXiMore Scale PleaseWe currently use Scale Computing at our headquarters to host roughly 25 servers that range from application servers to file servers to domain controllers. Scale gave us simplicity to manage our infrastructure. It's also saving us on the bottom line.,The replication of VMs betweens nodes is incredibly fast. We can recover servers from snapshots very quickly. We are saving on VMWare costs by not having to renew licenses for VMWare. With Scale's next update, we'll have the capability to do file level restoration.,When migrating to Scale, it seemed like we we're basically 'tricking' the virtual machine into being a Scale file. So the ability to more easily migrate to Scale would be recommended. As of right now, to restore a file, we basically restore an entire VM from a snapshot rather than restoring just that file. A lesser option should be available for smaller offices that only have 2 virtual servers.,10,10,We currently run all of our domain environment in Scale and several application servers. It's mostly file sharing and print services. We haven't noticed any decline in performance since moving to Scale.,We're saving $15k per year alone in just hardware support costs We're saving even more by no longer needing VMWare. Upgrading Scale takes a lot less man hours than upgrading VMWare.,Nimble, HPE Proliant ML and VMware ESXiScale out performsWe have moved most of our physical servers to Scale over the last few years and have added another cluster to our system for high availability. We have radius servers, domain controllers, DHCP servers, Exchange and SQL to name a few that are currently running on Scale. This cluster will be at another location as part of our DR as well. Ease of use and not having to worry about licensing is a huge plus not to mention their support is the best I have found. We serve over 8000 users each day on our network and Scale is a huge part of that.,Their support is amazing should you need. Although it has been very reliable. Ease of use. Performance Scale-ability,For most shops their dashboard gives plenty of information; however, some of the more technical users may want a little more information. With that said it is improving.,10,10,We ran a 1000 user mailbox Exchange server for 3 years on Scale and the performance was excellent. We are running about 40 different servers and they all perform very well.,ROI is huge given the lack of licensing costs and ease of use,VMware ESXiSimply Amazing, the Node Cluster that can't be beat!We use the Scale Computing HC3 across our whole organization to supply our Staff and customers with our software application. This infrastructure solves the issue we had with stability and redundancy when using servers in the past. Since purchasing and upgrading to this node cluster, we have never been happier or more confident in our solution to support our staff and clients.,Hardware redundancy. Although I haven't had a need to use it yet, I know that all main failure points of any hardware has a redundant secondary to pick up in any failures. Easy upgrade; to update the Hyper visor or installing a new node is simple and easy to do. The configuration is a simple step by step process that even a non Techy person can follow. Automatic Snapshots; with the latest update for automatic Snapshots & Backups, I can control what backup schedule I want and mange my snap shots with ease VM Creation. I am constantly creating new Virtual machines for my programmers. With the easy to use tools provided by Scale, I can have a new VM up and running in seconds.,Automatic Exports. Although they have the ability to create scheduled snap shots, I am waiting on the tool to allow us to automatically create exporting schedules to a 3rd party NAS Historical Reports, the Hypervisor allows us to see real-time reports of our cluster, but it would be nice to have detailed historical reports of this data to look for patterns in our software resources,10,10,Currently I have run the following applications critical to my business: Exchange 2013 & 2016, Active Directory 2008 & 2016, Sage CRM, Sage Accounting, LDAPs, Custom Applications, Sharepoint and many more. All applications I've installed have worked flawlessly on the Scale Computer HC3. Thanks to the assistance of their Support, I was even able to receive assistance in some of the install when I had questions about different drivers.,We have ended up saving money due to less hardware purchases from the capacity given to us during the initial purchase of Scale Computing. We went from 6 servers and 2 NAS down to a 4 Node Cluster with a single NAS for off site replication. This has dropped our Power capacity by 1/4 saving us costs with our Data Center We are able to mange the Cluster from a single portal. This has cut our management time in half and allowed us to work on other items and less worrying about our Node Cluster.,,3,1,All of my use cases are the same, Our entire network expect external backups reside on the Scale Computing HC3 cluster. Our web application is 24/7 to clients. If it goes down at any point; I can guarantee I will be getting a call from a client in seconds. With the Scale Computing HC3 cluster, we have had 0 down time due to Hardware or internal infrastructure,At this moment the only unexpected item we do with this Node Cluster is the automatic Exports to a NAS based off of using the Tag line. This is not currently a feature on the Scale Computing HC3, so their support team was able to assist me in creating what I was looking for.,Right now in my internal office (My Node cluster is at a Data Center), I have a WD NAS for a shared device between all of my staff members. I am looking at creating an FTP on the Node Cluster to be able to remove 1 more device from my infrastructure. Currently I also configure computers every time we need a new one for additional hires. I am looking into different versions of Thin Clients and would like to see if this is something I can set up on the Scale Computing HC3 to give me easier management of computers.,10,Microsoft Exchange, Sage 50 Accounting, Pivotal Tracker, Microsoft Visual Studio Team System, Team Foundation Server,Creating a Virtual Machine. Simply fill out the size and specs for what you want and click Create. It is as simple as that Media Management. Simply upload what you need and it is ready to use Snapshots. Creating a schedule is simple to do. After that, simply edit your VM and select which schedule you want it to back up on.,Historical usage reports unfortunately do not exist yet. This would be a nice to have in the future. Feature for automatic Exporting does not exist yet,10Scale Computing HC3 ReviewScale Computing HC3 is being used across the organization to host several virtual server instances. It helps address our need for multiple, specialized, virtual servers, including redundant domain controllers, file servers, document management and enterprise resource planning servers. The separation of these server roles allows for finer control of potential downtime and reduces end-user impact.,Virtual machine snapshots are an absolute breeze to create, store and recover if needed. The interface is incredibly intuitive and easy to use. Remote virtual machine management can be completed completely through a web interface rather than Remote Desktop Services, reducing our vulnerability footprint.,The amount of RAM you specify when ordering the system is not completely available for virtual machines. You need to calculate the ability for VMs to fail over to remaining nodes in the event a single node fails. Integration with backup product vendors is severely lacking, causing difficulty in backing up full snapshots off site. The interface login is a simple username and password. It would be nice to integrate two-factor authentication to increase security.,10,9,I have run Active Directory, DNS, DHCP and DFS on multiple servers with complete fail over. Additionally, I am running enterprise resource management, document management, a web server and auditing/monitoring on separate server instances all on the same Scale cluster. Overall the system is running flawlessly. Additionally, I have the peace of mind that the hardware is fault tolerant as well, providing instant fail over protection in the event a node goes down.,When considering providing the ability to provide redundancy and fail over protection, nothing comes close to Scale for overall price. As a comparison, we considered getting two physical servers as opposed to this Scale system. We found that, in order to provide the computing power needed, each server would be in the area of $15k each, before operating systems. Additionally, each server would need to handle multiple services and applications that can cause problems when run on the same machine. We have immediately felt the positive impact this system has provided as we lost the outgoing server sooner than anticipated. I was able to immediately regain control of the domain, finalize the move and retire the old system with little impact to the end-user.,HPE Synergy, Dell EMC Unity and NutanixTime to Replace VMware ESXi and Microsoft Hyper-V with Scale HC3Scale Computing HC3 is being used across the whole organization with a cluster at the corporate office configured for full two-way replication with another cluster at a branch office. This provides complete disaster recovery capability for both sites. Performance of both clusters is outstanding. Operational maintenance is almost non-existent. Setting up replication required only providing the name and administrator credentials for the remote cluster -- amazingly simple and automatic.,Firmware updates are a non-event. They are released about twice a year and when you are ready to apply the update, you just click the button to authorize it. Then it just happens automatically, rolling from one server to the next with no down time. Of course you should verify that you have a full set of backups first and probably will want to do this during a "quieter" time but you could do it in the middle of a work day with only minor performance impact. Any agent-based VM backup, like Veeam Backup & Replication, works fine. I like that the failure of a disk drive is not a critical-level event. The cluster raises an alarm, automatically ensures that all data is re-duplicated, and a replacement disk is sent to you the next day for hot-swap. During the disk failure event all you have is just a little less disk storage available. The HEAT system which automatically migrates active data between fast SSD disks and the usual spinning kind as required to meet your performance priorities, is completely hands off. The recent addition of automatic disk data deduplication means better performance and less disk space usage. Taking snapshots is almost instant and does not "cost" additional disk space. Growth is amazingly simple and easy to do -- just rack another node, add it to the cluster then walk away -- in short time it's a fully functioning member of the cluster sharing the load. HC3 Cloud Unity with Google Cloud Platform is an unmatched hybrid cloud solution. Usually hybrid Clouds require lots of very sophisticated networking to tie the local network to the cloud network -- Unity does all of this automatically and transparently -- the Cloud instance looks like it's on your local LAN. A single Scale HC3 web interface can manage your local and remote on-prem instances together with your cloud instance.,Scheduling of snapshots is fairly flexible but a little restricted when combined with Replication. Looking forward to the next major firmware release where this is scheduled to be improved. There is a single-node server available for remote offices but it would be nice to have a two-node version for those small offices to be able to avoid all down time (for updates).,10,10,If your company provides services or support on a 24x7 basis you just can't ever be down. Exchange email, SQL Server databases, web servers, ERP App Servers, File & RDSH servers -- nothing can go down because you need it all of the time. There's no time for down time to do maintenance or increase capacity. Scale HC3 gives you all of that. Also, who wants to spend so much time keeping all of that virtualization infrastructure updated -- Scale HC3 remove 90-95% of the maintenance work required to keep a VMware or Hyper-V Cluster with shared storage secure and updated.,A pending iSCSI Storage array hardware refresh cycle and VMware maintenance update can provide enough funds to replace all of that with a new Scale HC3 Cluster that also drastically reduces on-going support and maintenance costs. The ROI is under one year. Your IT staffing costs will decrease as will your outside IT support costs for running virtualized clusters with shared storage. Most businesses never actually get around to deploying multi-site replication because it's too expensive and far too hard to do and maintain. Scale HC3 makes all that easy and automatic.,VMware ESXi, Hyper-V and Virtuoso Universal ServerNet AdminWe're converting our XenServer Virtual Infrastructure over to HC3 Scale. It's faster, easier to use and takes up less space. Setting up SCALE was easy. We rack mounted it, set it up in about 20 minutes. Since purchasing our first 3 servers, we recently just cut a PO to expand to 8. Overall, it's a great product.,Its simplicity is a load off my shoulders. There are not hours of forums I have to sift through. No more licensing problems. Remote support is a super easy.,I would like to see more information about my VMs Historical Data would be nice such as 30 day chart for CPU usage.,10,8,We run our XenApp environment on SCALE and found that the speed of our VM servers has increased over XenServer 6.5. Utilizing HC3's DoubleTake Move software, we were able to migrate our VM's with just a few clicks. We also have a Domain Controller running on our SCALE Environment and login duration's have decreased dramatically.,Troubleshooting times have decreased. Support issues have decreased due to only have to call one vendor. Availability of our VM's has increased Space in our server room as increase and temperatures have decreased which is really important to us.,Solid option for SMBs who don't want to spend their time administering virtual environments.We use a Scale cluster as our primary computing infrastructure, hosting SQL, ERP, WMS, RDS Cluster, file storage, IIS, and some other minor server VMs. All our VMs are currently MS OSs.,Ease of setup and operation. We have a very small IT bench, and these individuals are not virtual infrastructure engineers. They have little to no experience in VM environments. Yet they have no problems standing up VMs, setting up or modifying replication, cloning, shifting VMs to other nodes, etc. They can modify resource draw easily (with one notable exception) and generally can stay out of the VM management world and stay in the server and application management worlds. Hardware support. I can only recall one hardware issue we had. Rather than going back and forth, or trying to fix one part at a time to reduce costing, Scale had a new box to us I think the next day or the day after. Hard drive swap and we were back in business at 100%. Tecahnical support. There are some minor headaches working outside of the normal hypervisor realms of Hyper-V/VMWare. But Scale support has been there to help us whenever we hit one of those stumbling blocks.,Modifying the size of an instantiated virtual hard drive. You can change memory/cpus core with a few mouse clicks, but hard drive size increases are time consuming, complicated, and annoying in the current environment. There is some room for improvement with regards to SQL writes. The hyperconverged solution is exceptional in durability and reliability, but large quantity small size SQL writes seem to cause a speed bottleneck larger than one would expect given the power of the architecture. Could be caused by spanning between nodes? Not sure if this is a Scale issue or an MS issue, but we have never been able to clone an RD server with all apps installed and add it to the RDS cluster; we have to clone a barebones server, install everything and build all the printer connections, and then add it to the cluster.,9,10,SQL is our most critical app, and we have seen a substantial increase in its environmental footprint in the past year. Save for some frustrations in increasing drive size (much easier to plan ahead and make your drives large, or to just add a second drive and spread), we have been able to handle our growing pains with some after-hours reboots. Similarly, we have doubled the amount of servers in our RDS environment.,Scale was a much more cost-effective option than other hyperconverged solutions we looked, or when compared to the cost of refreshing our previous environment of HP servers and a SAN. And that is before you look at the cost savings of not having to pay for a recurring VMWare license!,HC3 works for me!As a one person IT shop the Scale HC3 system made it easy for me to manage storage and it reduced the number of physical servers I had to maintain. It is used for all departments in our organization from a file server to a mapping server.,Their tech support is very good, though I have only had to call a couple of times over the last five years for minor issues. Their sales staff keeps in touch on a regular basis. Some vendors will only call for a sale and assume everything is fine if they aren't hearing from you. The user interface is easy to learn, from creating and scheduling snapshots to creating virtual machines for running test scenarios.,Scale Computing HC3 has met all of our company's needs.,9,10,We use virtual servers to house mission critical databases that are written to daily with large amounts of data with no issues. Our online backup software is able to connect with the virtual servers to add another layer of disaster recovery.,As a one person IT department I always try to streamline and automate whenever possible. The Scale HC3 has reduced time spent on maintaining multiple physical servers and the overall ease of use is great. At the time of purchase their system was at least 10-15,000 less than their competitors.,Scale Computing HC3 - Excellent and Unique Hyper-Converged Platform with a few Rough EdgesScale HC3 is being used to virtualize a large portion of our physical IT stack. We purchased it for the following reasons: 1. Simplify administration of our infrastructure. 2. Provide out-of-the box High-Availability and/or near High-Availability for critical systems 3. Decrease TCO for our physical infrastructure 4. Simplify our infrastructure by collapsing all of the requirements for a clustered virtualization solution down into one software/hardware stack, including compute, storage, and networking. 5. Decrease deployment time for new environments. Using near-instant thin-cloning we can deploy multiple systems in a very short amount of time. 6. SCALE provided a solid platform alternative to other traditional high-availability solutions, like SQL Clustering. In this case we simplify life by deploying SQL server's as stand-alone but because they are virtual and on a Hyper-Converged platform, they are HA by default. So we get a lot of the benefits of SQL clustering without the headache and complexity of actual SQL clustering.,Scale has focused on ease-of-management and it shows. Their UI is incredible and easily the best in the industry. SCRIBE - the underlying storage layer is brilliant and if you are a techie, worth taking a closer look. The way SCALE has done storage for hyper-converged is very different from almost all of the other major players in a very good way. SCRIBE VM snapshots and cloning is incredible, very fast, very efficient. Simplified licensing model - NO VMWARE - this is a big deal. Scale has built-the-entire-stack from almost the ground up. You only have one company to deal with when it comes to licensing your hyper-converged stack. Furthermore, all SCALE HC3 clusters have ALL FEATURES. There is no nickel-and-dime (and arm-n-leg) for additional functionality.,I think the company has been focused on the SMB market and as a result are not familiar with dealing with the issues and concerns of either larger companies/deployments and/or companies like ours which service larger clients. We have no tolerance for unscheduled downtime. When it comes to dealing with support they are mostly all very knowledgeable but they seem a bit green when it comes to understanding how "serious" uptime is for their customers that are running mission-critical systems. I think the company has been focused on the SMB market, and as a result I get the impression they are not overly familiar with companies that run mixed and/or more highly-demanding workloads. We are pushing our cluster hard. We run a heavy mix of both virtualized SQL and WEB tier systems. Based on multiple interactions with the company, I don't think they have very many customers operating in this space and as a result, the platform hasn't been as well vetted based on these kinds of workloads. That said, I realize that virtualizing multiple busy database servers on a single platform is huge ask. All of the above being said... we have not had any system failures that have impacted any of our production VM's and by-and-large the platform is pretty darn solid. We are seeing some performance hits, particularly around storage, as our cluster gets more busy however we haven't done wide-spread performance testing to get an accurate measurement and I believe scribe is dynamically tiering data to keep our busiest systems running effectively. I guess I would like to just see a higher "low watermark" for storage performance on VM's. Support is overall very responsive however in-depth issues can drag-on a bit, which is understandable. They are still missing some features such as role-based administrative access which are important to, once again, larger companies and/or those who service larger companies. All-in-all - Scale has historically targeted SMB - and as a result they have a ton of core strengths that are unique to their company and their product. However, in focusing on this market segment, I think they have a bit of tunnel-vision which has resulted in them missing some crucial areas for businesses that take their IT very serious because it is a critical part of their service delivery/day-to-day operations.,7,8,We have several applications that are "mission critical" that were candidates for more complex solutions like SQL Clustering. We opted to virtualize those on SCALE instead which was drastically easier and honestly "less fragile" because there are few "moving parts". Scale has also decreased our dependency on more complex and typically much more expensive TCO, SAN storage. We have drastically simplified our onsite backup and recovery by using scheduled snapshots.,We have virtualized ~25 systems at this point and dropped two older SAN arrays from our environment. This has drastically reduced administrative complexity in our environment. Things are just "more stable" - we were often putting out fires with failing hardware across multiple systems. With scale, we have one platform which is highly-redundant and this allows me to finally get some sleep at night. Sleep is priceless. For new projects, we have cut new environment deployment time drastically. Setting up a new hosted environment for a project used to take 2 - 4 weeks, it now takes 2 - 4 days. It also cuts down expense. When we need dedicated environments we now spin-up VM's on a platform that is already budgeted and paid for vs. having to buy new dedicated hardware. An Active-Passive SQL cluster with SAN storage can run anywhere from $20K (assuming you already have the SAN) --> $60k or even $100k if you need to put in the SAN and supporting infrastructure. A SCALE cluster however can support multiple SQL servers and provide almost the same level of redundancy/high-availability with drastically lower cost and complexity vs a traditional cluster.,NutanixScCale Hyperconvergence - No Pain all GainOur existing infrastructure was getting old. The hardware was excellent and provided more than adequate performance. Apart from the insecurity of age the only complaints were from the IT team. It was taking too much work to maintain. The 3 node Scale cluster replacees and aging infrastructure of Linux Red Hat/HP hosts running 80% of the company's virtual servers. The Scale cluster will essentially run our company. When all VMs have been moved over to the cluster It will encompass Windows a windows domain controller, our MRP system, several database servers, analytics, and server and network monitoring appliances. A remote Scale node acts as a backup to the cluster and maintains daily backups with varying retention to reflect daily, weekly and monthly, and quarterly backups. We have moved about 30% of the infrastructure to the scale cluster.,The ease of use of the Scale interface is fantastic. All the basics are within easy reach and more complex tools are readily accessible. I'm used to simple interfaces meaning limited scope and simplistic products. But the scale interface is on top of a very sophisticated and powerful system. The interface works so well it needs no training to use - having said that training always helps. Scale's Remote replication is fantastic. Setting up and applying a schedule and setting a lifespan for the replicated images was a breeze. Initiating the replication was a single click and the replication was fast. Replicated VM's could be cloned and started in seconds. Restoring data for users was so fast my users were not ready to deal with the quick results. Scales continually impresses me with the way the product is maturing. Their product road map is not merely a future wish list. New features are regularly being delivered and delivered on schedule. Installation and set up is FAST. the longest part was mounting the hardware and connecting the interfaces. Scale technicians held my hand from power on to instantiating a new VM. It mas more of a formality than a necessity. Their tech support is effective. The best I have ever seen. Their staff are astute and great communicators. Follow up is quick, and they often log in and resolve the problem without my having to generate and upload logs. They minimise my work and maximise interaction. The unusual part is how they communicate among themselves. On a single issue i spoke to multiple staff and they all were aware of case. I never had to repeat the details of the problem or the steps taken. We have been importing all of our VM's fairly easily. There is a need for improvement with the import process for non HC3 VMs. It works but is the only poorly executed part of the HC3 environment i have come across. It's as if in the design of the product Scale only thought companies would be creating and working with new VM's., and forgot completely about migrations from other systems. HC3 easily imports and exports Scale VM's directly from the Interface in a single step. But, non HC3 images, even if they are qcow2 images just like HC3's, require a multi-step process. Having said that, the process is not complex at all. Apparently this will be corrected in a future release. Pricing. Wow! A friend in another company opted for a competing HCI system. It took about 3 months to get the system fully installed and stable. But the ongoing costs of licensing Vmware and paying hardware maintenance have forced them to reconsider their purchase. They are desperate to cut costs and are planning to pull out VMware and go with KVM. With Scale I paid less and got at least equal performance without any configuration headaches. That raises another point. The HC3 system is fully integrated all in one solution. All the components needed for HCI, Virtualisation, VM Management, Integrated and distributed storage, and redundancy are included and fully supported. One neck to wring.,As mentioned, Scale needs to refine the rocess used for importing non-native VM's. It is a multi step process that "fools" HC3 into thinking it a native VM. All of our VMs, except for one, are KVM. I can't comment on importing other image formats. HC3 has all the basics covered and does a fantastic job under the sheets. but is lagging in more modern features .Scale needs to provide applications under HC3. A "cloud" type storage service that VM's could tap into directly. A database service which would reduce the need for us to maintain database servers. A containerisation service would be an excellent addition. Currently we have to run containers in a VM, which is not optimal. Missing is a simple way of upgrading storage. Disks are hot swappable., but upgrading storage requires a lot of work.,9,9,Our infrastructure scales great with HC3 (pun not intended.) We have been adding VM's cloning images for testing and development without anxiety. before we were constrained by the resources of a single machine- we were consistently running out of memory or disk space. We were chasing resources across the network, porting VM's wherever we could find room. The cluster environment is like a diving into an ocean. All the resources are accessible. This simplifies development and allows me to respond with a big "YES" to my users instead of "Maybe tomorrow, i'll let you know",It's too early to tell how our ROI will be affected. Our estimates indicate that we will smooth our our expenditures. We expect to able to take advantage of business opportunities and provide new services faster for our dealers. We have already cut a future staff acquisition because of the ease of use of Scale system. The initial cost was high. Getting an entire cluster is a bigger pill to swallow than adding a new server. We mitigated the problem by delaying upgrades. When suddenly the company was faced with 4 server's needing replacement or one Scale custer with the attendant advantages over installing four new hosts, plus a DR solution, the decision became much easier.,Maxta and StratoscaleScale Computing -> Best ValueScale Computing is being used as our primary server cluster across the whole organization. We have it hosting 20+ servers. It's very easy to use and virtually maintenance free. It has freed up a lot of my time, to be honest, I don't even think about it anymore because it just works.,Setting up and provisioning a new VM is super simple. I come from a VMWare environment but the Scale UI is very easy to understand. I can imagine for someone new they would be able to learn the task of managing the cluster very easily. Snapshots and clones are processed super fast.,I would like to be able to see actual disk availability instead of the raw number of TB. The ability to copy and paste from your local machine to a VM seems like missing functionality, it is very useful to have. I guess it's not a problem specifically with Scale, probably more with KVM and backup vendors but I really did enjoy having a backup system that worked across the whole hypervisor, it just simplified things a lot. I would like to see the breakdown of the VMs and the amount of RAM they are consuming changed a bit. If its a VM with less than 6 GB it doesn't show on the dashboard. Maybe if it was a pie chart it would be easier? Not sure but just something different would be nice so you could see all the VMs.,9,10,We run in-house Exchange, SQL, MySQL, and Apache web servers. They run flawlessly. The only problems I have are with the individual applications themselves, never at the infrastructure level. When I bought the system they didn't have SSD out yet, so I can't speak about the ability to portion out the SSD across VMs but it looks super awesome!,The biggest impact Scale has had is on my time. I really don't even think about the infrastructure anymore. It has really freed me up to handle other important matters. It's also very nice to know that when I need to upgrade or refresh in the future, I can just swap out servers and have minimal, or no downtime.,VMware ESXi, SimpliVity OmniCube and Hyper-VScale HC3 First ImpressionsWe started working with a client that recently deployed a 4 node SCALE HC3 cluster. Our role was to help transition them from VMware/HyperV VM's to be on Scale HC3 instead. It is being used now for 90% of all services/vms within the company. They still have a couple physical servers due to the complexity of moving those to Scale Computing HC3, this in addition to using the volume of storage they have on the physical servers. The main business problem it addressed was stability and simplifying the environment. The HC3 cluster gives them the stability and redundancy they needed to ensure they have great uptime!,Simplifying building and running a Hypervisor Cluster for redundancy and uptime. Fast deployment/snapshotting Great technical support, really fast.,Expanding volumes is cumbersome (have to clone the vm and make the drive bigger) Little support for UPS and network shutdowns Tricky to migrate VM's to HC3 unless you use their paid software product GUI is pretty simple and barebones, feels like it limits what you can do.,5,7,Our application/server set is a mixed Windows Server/Desktop VM world with a healthy dose of Linux CentOS VMs. We enjoy how quickly we are able to take a node offline and all VM's will move gracefully on their own. The Scale Computing HC3 system seems to keep all nodes balanced without much thought from our end. The redundant networks work great and we have done testing by pulling a switch and watching the networks fail over without missing a beat!,The company will not need to purchase new hardware for 5 years or as long as Scale will support the nodes. The yearly software/maintenance costs are high and after a couple years running we may consider looking at another direction ROI on needing a tier 3 tech on staff is good. The cluster just works and requires little babysitting.,hyperv and VMware ESXiThree year review of Scale's HC3The HC3 was implemented by a client as a company-wide infrastructure replacement for both physical systems as well as an existing VMware cluster. It replaced 7 physical servers that were quite old, and the two node VMware cluster had one host that was past it's prime. VMware needed to be upgraded, and after looking at the hardware and software costs, the HC3 was a simple decision.,Ease of Use - the interface is simple, clean, and intuitive enough that if you have ever used any virtualization platform you really don't need any training to get going. Ease of Implementation - Once the hardware is mounted, a configuration was performed remotely by scale. They assisted in switch setup by providing requirements, and the cluster itself was done by a technician on the phone with you. It was really running a few commands to initialize the cluster and after that, anything that came up they took care of. We had a node failure, and nobody knew. The system kept chugging along without interruption (that anyone could tell). After one phone call, we had the replacement the next day. The cluster was reinitialized and everything worked without having to schedule any downtime. System updates are essentially a click of a button. Everything then is handled behind the scenes. I had one update timeout, and a quick call later (on a Saturday no less), it was deduced that it was a timeout issue. After adjusting the timeout, the update ran fine.,The trade off for many of the complexities of management are taken care of behind the scenes, is that you are limited on many of the configuration options one is used to in other virtualization platforms. That is not to say it is by any means simplistic or inflexible and if you are looking for a system that does not require weeks of training and experience to manage, this is it. With the simplicity of the interface, troubleshooting some issues like email notifications can become difficult. If you have a small infrastructure that is moving into a hybrid cloud environment, it can be a bit cost prohibitive.,8,10,We've run everything from Domain Controllers, to file services to ERP systems without any issues. The fact that the cluster holds up well during a node failure has really helped, especially mission critical software such as Syspro. Reboot times are very fast on virtual systems, so even if there is a software based issue, rebooting is not the inconvenience that it used to be.,The system has reduced downtime significantly, saving the client thousands of dollars in lost productivity. The reduction of power usage, although not a high dollar amount monthly, does add up to several thousand dollars over a three year period.,I love our Scale[It's being used] To host most corporate servers including AD, file, print, CCTV and app servers.,Ease of use Superb value compared to traditional competitors,The time between order and delivery seems slow.,10,7,We currently host: - Active Directory - File Servers - Print Servers - Security Camera system & storage - Stadium concession systems (critical game-day system) - Stadium 50-50 system (critical game-day system). Our 50-50's are a huge deal in this part of the world.,Hewlett Packard,,2,Active Directory File & Print services Security Camera system & data storage Stadium Concession system Satdium 50-50 draw system,We are currently testing a new Windows 2016 domain setup I hope to one day host the Football Operations Video services on the same system. Football Coaches use a dedicated system currently.,10,Windows Server, VMware ESXi, Microsoft Office 365,Creating a new VM Adding OS Media Creating VM snapshots,I wish I could change the size of disk volumes easily.,No,9Scale HC3 3 Node first time purchaser reviewWe use our Scale 3 node cluster to run our 5 virtual machines that service our 4 locations. Functions include application servers, web servers and test machines that are used by all departments. The HC3 cluster gives us an easy method to backup an entire machine and is a first step in building a secondary site in which we can replicate our scale data to.,Scale platform updates - the scale cluster runs on its own software and can be updated in real time without causing any downtime for production virtual machines. Node capacity visibility - the software provides an easy window into how much storage and RAM capacity is available on each node and simplifies being able to see how much room there is for growth for new virtual machines. Snapshotting - the scheduling of snapshots works extremely well and is an easy set and forget method for backups on a daily basis.,While Scale handles storage and RAM utilization very well, CPU usage is somewhat hard to configure - you can configure how many CPU cores a VM gets but it's not overly simple to boost an individual VM's CPU performance. The custom software that runs on the scale cluster is simple but doesn't necessarily support all backup products out there - or maybe the other backup products don't support them yet - VEEAM for example, backing up a VM outside the hypervisor isn't supported. I would like to see the software made available so we can add it to other physical servers we have available - for example, say we have an old VM Ware server and we want to convert it to a Scale node - having the ability to install the software on our hardware would be a huge plus.,8,8,We are running a web server with an MS SQL database on the back end. The software specification made it sound like it was pretty hardware intensive and that a robust storage and physical machine environment would be required to run on an acceptable level. We took an educated chance on Scale and it has been running our applications with ease since day one with an increase in performance from our old physical server-based application.,We were running a single server setup and adding this 3 node cluster in a second location has established a beginning to allow us to have a location and soon a co-location. Being a small shop - taking out the need for a storage device has potentially saved us from forklift upgrades in the future since all scale nodes are supposed to be forward and backward compatible. Moving from a VMWare environment to a Scale node was a simple process and did not require any costly software to move from one VM type to another.,VM WareHC3 how to make your life easier.We are using the HC3 to run several of our virtual servers. Two of the servers are our domain controllers. We are in the process of migrating more of our VMs over from VMware. The use of Scale has freed up resources that we had budgeted for VMware.,Very easy to install and migrate existing VMs over from VMware. Support is seamless and remote help is a click away. Support is US based and never a problem getting in touch with a technician on the first try.,The only thing that was missing when we purchased the unit was remote replication. They have addressed this with a cloud offering.,10,10,We have several of our domain controllers running on the HC3 and the migration was seamless. We are ready to move other mission-critical systems over to our HC3 cluster.,Scale has already paid for itself after two years with our savings from licensing and hardware refresh that we would have had to invest.,Honest review of Scale Computing's HC3xScale Computing's HC3x has allowed us to virtualise 100% of our company's server infrastructure. We've used the technology for the last 5 years and it has been as solid as a rock. The biggest benefit is its simplicity because we are a small IT department and don't have the time to maintain a more complicated solution such as VMWare or Hyper-V.,The simplicity of the technology is its biggest strength. There aren't different licensing levels and so all features are available in the standard licensing costs. Their support team is second to none. Everyone I've spoken to is extremely knowledgeable about their product.,The only drawback is that if you need extra storage, your only option is to purchase another node. On other platforms, you could just install extra storage space.,10,10,We run four SQL servers hosting our business systems, terminal servers, domain controllers, deployment servers and file & print servers. Spinning up new servers is incredibly simple and can be started within seconds.,I went through a pricing exercise and compared similar solutions (VMWare & Hyper-V). Scale Computing's solution came in around 25% cheaper than the nearest alternative. We've been using the same cluster for five years now and have no plans on switching platforms. The lack of maintenance we have to perform on the platform certainly saves us time and money.,VMware ESXi and Hyper-VScale Computing HC3 - ReviewScale Computing HC3 has been implemented as a replacement for the client's old VMware environment. The client wanted a more substantial and reliable virtual platform for their business. They have multiple remote sites and remote uses, in which they wanted to provide a seamless user environment to all users. They have 6 virtual servers and 16 virtual desktops. The HC3 platform has fulfilled the client's current needs and should carry them well into the future.,Relaibility Rapid systems deployment Excellent fault tolerance, backup, and recovery Easy overall management,Snapshot management has room for improvements, more recovery options, export options, etc. Image import/export could encompass more virtual image types.,9,10,When positioned with the right customer the ROI can be huge.,HIVE-IO, VMware ESXi and Hyper-VScale Computing HC3 - Give it a look before going with the "usual suspects"We use HC3 to virtualize ALL server assets. High performance, delegatable interface.,Super easy to use, easy to delegate to technicians Much lower cost than most competing products Excellent support,Could use better integration with UPS's. Currently UPS shutdown has to be handled by a separate windows system Sometimes, migrating other vendor's VM appliances can be a bit "fiddly",8,8,The system makes it very easy to allocate additional resources (RAM, CPU cores, Disk space) as needed, and simply. We run our DNS and LDAP servers, on HC3, and found the the VM was under-supplied with disk space. Very simple to add more storage.,We have found HC3 to be very robust, and very cost effective, especially relative to more traditional storage and virtualization products,Scale ReviewWe use Scale to house all our Windows servers, roughly 25 total. The reliability has been tremendous. Only real problem we have had is resizing hard disks in our VMs.,High availability. We have had no unplanned downtime. Technical support is amazing. Very responsive. Easy to expand and grow.,Can only use static memory Too cumbersome to expand hard drive in VMs Too hard to manage snapshots and storage,6,10,We run our terminal server which all company users use to access our accounting system and our ERP.,No real positive or negative impact No real positive or negative impact No real positive or negative impact,Microsoft ClusteringScale ReviewWe use it across the whole company. It is our virtual host for all of our servers. It also helps us manage such a large group of servers (12), and there are only two of us in the I.T. department. Management of this solutions is very easy and intuitive. We also have two cluster at a different location as our DR site.,Management. It is very easy to manage your environment through one pane of glass. You know the health of your hardware by just looking at the main page. Support. Their support is all based here in the U.S. They are very timely to get to you, and they keep you informed throughout your issue. Price. They are very well priced for what you get.,Compatibility. Some manufactures don't have products that will run on the KVM kernel.,10,10,We run our Exchange Servers, HVAC, Shoretel, File Servers, Scanning Servers, Domain Controllers, and I would run anything else on this hardware.,We have a full functional DR location with Scale at a very low cost. We have seen a complete ROI with our systems. We don't have to have a dedicated person to handle Scale.,NutanixFantastic first experience with virtualization!HC3 is used to consolidate some of our services and reduce our server footprint. It was the perfect replacement for our aging Citrix farm (and other applications) and has reduced our cooling, rack, and power requirements as well as unused resources (CPU, memory, storage). Also, the DR cluster gives us some peace of mind and a faster recovery.,Reduced licensing costs Single pane of glass Consolidation of storage, virtualization and management,None yet!,10,10,We are currently hosting multiple applications including Domain controllers, Quickbooks, Helpdesk, Remote Desktop Servers, and Electronic Medical Records. The critical data is automatically replicated to a second cluster for disaster recovery. Our experience has been great with no issues with any of the Windows VM's running in Scale.,Reduced footprint, cooling, power, warranty, licensing requirements Reduced wasted utilization of CPU, memory, and storage resources Reduced cost to manage server farm,NutanixScale helped consolidate our network needs into one solutionWe are using Scale HC3 as a 3 in 1 solution. We use the Scale virtualization software for our servers, including a VDI server. We utilize a 16TB SAN for all of our Virtual servers, user files, etc. Finally, we use a 2nd Scale cluster at our 2nd location as a Disaster Recovery solution between sites.,Disaster Recovery using snapshots. Easy clones and restores. Virtualization of servers is seamless and very intuitive. San is provisioned internally by HC3 eliminating dead and wasted space. Control panel is intuitive and easy to use,Would like to see ability to expand partitions without Scale Support. Would like to be able to have restores to folder or file level,9,10,We are running our VDI for desktops on the Scale servers and expansion is relatively easy with the current solution.,We were able to reduce our maintenance costs by 50% with the scale solution by eliminating the need for a separate SAN, DR, and virtual server solution. We are saving money by not having to upgrade/replace outdated San, DR and server hardware IT maintenance time has been greatly reduced with an all-in-one solid solution,,120,2,Easy Virtualization of all servers in company Large scalable storage SAN Ease of use,Eliminated need for additional Disaster recovery software,Desktop virtualization,9,Microsoft Office 365, Sage 300 ERP,Yes,Product Features Product Usability Product Reputation Third-party Reviews,I would choose Scale again. Have not found anything that we prefer over Scale currently.Good for simple deployments.It is being used across an entire physical location, around 100 people. It hosts the core virtual machine infrastructure, which is 100% Windows.,Simple Good Support,V2V is a complete nightmare. We ended up just giving up. This is half the reason we don't recommend Scale any longer. Backups are a pain. VEEAM spoils you. With Scale you have to manage each endpoint at its layer. Frustrating, and the other half of the reason we don't recommend Scale.,7,9,Active Directory and other critical systems. Unfortunately, the greater cost of the Scale setup is only compounded by the extra time you spend managing backups.,No change.,VMware ESXi
Windows, Linux, Unix
Scale Computing HC3

Scale Computing HC3 Reviews

Scale Computing HC3

Do you work for this company?

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019
Showing 143 of 241 Scale Computing HC3 ratings and reviews.

Brian Dunk profile photo

Alternatives Considered

I have looked into a number of other Vendors when originally making my decision. Some vendors outright insulted others stating theirs was the best on the market while others had less physical features for redundancy or reporting that Scale had available for me. Along with the commitment from their support team it made it easy to determine that Scale was the right company for us.
Read Brian Dunk's full review
Travis Smith profile photo

Alternatives Considered

When researching hyperconverged technology, we looked at several leading providers. In each case, the cost of the system far outweighed Scale Computing's, without providing any additional benefits that we could discern. In some cases, the same price at Scale would only purchase 2 nodes at another vendor, reducing our fail over redundancy. In other cases, only the hyperconvergence software was provided. When comparing prices to purchase the individual machines plus the software, Scale came out ahead again by a large margin.
Read Travis Smith's full review
Gerry Wisnoski profile photo

Alternatives Considered

Usually you don't make a platform change until you find something that's ten times better (i.e. An order of magnitude better). Scale HC3 is that platform. The Scale Computing HyperConverged Virtualization platform makes virtualization automatic so that you can move on to spend your time and money doing more interesting and valuable things.
Read Gerry Wisnoski's full review
Jason Weatherby profile photo
January 17, 2018

Net Admin

Alternatives Considered

We've used VMWare and Citrix in the past. We recently attended a GMIS conference in South Carolina and enjoyed the overall simplicity of the product. Performance is up by about 30% over Citrix Xen-Server and the cost of the products is significantly less. We had purchased 5 Dell R610's and a 3 Dell NAS for around $140,000. taking up 18U. We purchased 3 SCALE Servers for less than half of that and have been very pleased with the results.
Read Jason Weatherby's full review
Jon Rich profile photo
January 11, 2018

HC3 works for me!

Alternatives Considered

I had quotes from Dell and HP at the time and I think the smaller business market was not on their radar. Scale hit the underserved mid-size market at the right time. I have not used any other virtualization system at this time.
Read Jon Rich's full review
Nathan Beam profile photo

Alternatives Considered

I don't have any real-world experience with Nutanix but we did demo their product and I did a fair bit of research. I also looked heavily at other products in the hyper-converged space.

My "end of the day" analysis is that SCALE HC3 is one of the few "full stack" platforms. What I mean by that is that most other products are just some re-mix of existing storage technologies (SAN) that have been virtualized and put into the hyper-visor stack. As a result, the management of the system is fragmented. HC3 on the other hand was built "from the ground up" to be a Hyper-Converged product and as a result, everything is managed under one roof. You don't have to "worry" about 10 different components all being configured correctly to work together, SCALE is a single, unified product and that makes them different than 90% of the other players out there which are pretty much borrowing VMware and then tacking on some kind of VSAN to make a Hyper-Converged stack. This might sound intangible but it results in real-world differences in how the product works and is managed on a day-to-day basis.
Read Nathan Beam's full review
Scott White profile photo

Alternatives Considered

In the process of determining which solution to go with we short-listed Maxta, Stratoscale, and Scale. Maxta and Stratoscale were software products and Scale was the appliance. All three received the same details of our infrastructure. Interestingly the number of spindles proposed by both Maxta and Stratoscale exceeded our existing spindle count. This alerted us to the likelihood that their performance promises required that many spindles. On investigating the number of storage layers between the VM and the disk surface it became clear the Scale system was a clear winner. there were good technical reasons why scales disk management was better. Interestingly getting clear technical data out Stratoscale was harder and like pulling hen's teeth with Maxta.

Critical to our plans was the concept of simplicity. Working with all three interfaces it became clear that Scale was the winner. In addition, having to deal with hardware and software separately was a problem, even if the Maxta and Statoscale performed the integration and were willing to be the single neck, we would still be dealing with two loosely integrated product layers. We wanted the tighter integration on all the components of the system that Scale provides. Then there was the communication and vendors ability to answer questions. Hands down Scale was the winner.

The issue of Vendor lock was not a concern. This may have been true when vendor products were wildly incompatible but is a false issue in today's more standards-driven environment. Porting our VM's into the Scale environment was easy because of the standards, and porting them out in the future, if we need to, will also be easy.

Stratoscale impressed us by coming close in overall costs and even better that Scale in product scope, but in the end, it was the other factors that settled us on Scale.
Read Scott White's full review
Tom Blazek profile photo

Alternatives Considered

Each system I evaluated has its own strengths and weaknesses. I ended up choosing Scale because of the features and the price. I feel Scale has the best value for the money. I also like to support smaller businesses and I feel that you often get better customer support, which is what I have experienced in this situation as well.
Read Tom Blazek's full review
Ray Vopat profile photo

• VM Ware
In small business scenarios where you have 15 VMs or less Scale makes a good product that gives a scalable performance compared to a VM setup that uses physical servers tied to a storage device. Not having to manage the storage layer saves headaches and allows admins more time to do other tasks. The competitive and personal communications I received while working on our first purchase with Scale hardware was a great experience and I felt valued as a potential customer and that they genuinely wanted my business.
Read Ray Vopat's full review
john Galotta profile photo

Alternatives Considered

We looked at several other hyper-converged systems before purchasing the HC3. The greatest savings comes from the open source VM software that comes with the systems. No more VMware licensing cost.
Read john Galotta's full review
Adam Hassall profile photo

Alternatives Considered

HC3x does everything we need it to do at a fraction of the cost of it's nearest alternative. The cost was around 25% cheaper than the nearest alternative and the setup / configuration was pretty much completed within a couple of hours (including racking it).

I'd previously used Scale Computing's storage only technology and was so impressed by their support team and on-site engineers that I had no hesitation of using their virtualisation technology too.
Read Adam Hassall's full review
Scott Poole profile photo

Alternatives Considered

We examined a number of virtual solutions (VMware. Microsoft HyperV, Citrix. etc) but none had the ability to incorporate a large SAN and DR cluster in an affordable range or all from one vendor. Our Scale purchase made sense financially and financing over 3 years made it budget friendly!
Read Scott Poole's full review

About Scale Computing HC3

Scale Computing offers edge computing, virtualization, and hyperconverged solutions for customers around the globe. Scale Computing HC3® software promises to eliminate traditional virtualization software, disaster recovery software, servers, and shared storage, replacing these with a fully integrated, highly available system for running applications. The vendor says that, using patented HyperCore™ technology, the HC3 self-healing platform automatically identifies, mitigates, and corrects problems in the infrastructure in real-time, enabling applications to achieve maximum uptime even when local IT resources and staff are scarce. The vendor says ease-of-use, high availability, and TCO are key differentiators. The product works for distributed enterprises, global retailers, and SMBs alike.

According to the vendor, key features and benefits include:

• Install in less than an hour
  • Deploy new VMs in minutes
  • Built-in Browser-based Management
  • Software-defined, hybrid storage system with automated tiering
  • Fully integrated, cluster-wide resource utilization and alerts
  • Single vendor support experience, no disparate systems to integrate
  • Integrated all-in-one appliance
  • Scale-out Architecture
  • Mix and match new nodes
  • Incremental resources improve performance of existing workloads
  • Fast and easy to expand, no downtime required
  • No additional licensing required
  • Start small and grow as your business grows
  • No forklift upgrades

Scale Computing HC3 Features

Has featureSimplicity
Has featureHigh Availability
Has featureScalability

Scale Computing HC3 Integrations

Leostream, Cloud Unity - Google

Scale Computing HC3 Competitors

VMware vCenter Server, VMware ESXi, Nutanix, Hyper-V, HPE SimpliVity (formerly OmniCube)

Does not have featureFree Trial Available?No
HC12008,500Per Node
HC1250D15,170Per Node
HC12509,665Per Node
HC1250DF16,750Per Node
HC5250D25,700Per Node

Pricing shown in U.S. Dollar. Pricing for other regions available on request.

Scale Computing HC3 Customer Size Distribution