Reviews (1-10 of 10)
This tool is mainly used by our technology department that set it up initially and keep making changes to the setup with the product and marketing departments.
- It reduces the time taken to set the analytics and data collection part of your tool.
- Their documentation on setting things up is really good and simplifies the process.
- The pricing, especially for an early stage startup, is pretty expensive.
- While this is a long shot, integrating with tech language verticals like Laravel (for php) would be great.
- In-depth data tracking.
- It's easily integrated into platforms and databases.
- Immediate tracking.
- Steep learning curve for new users
- Must use external database
- Too much information may feel overwhelming out of the box
Segment filled all of those gaps and provided more information than we could’ve imagined was available. After plugging it into our own database, we are now able to create our own customized dashboards to give us and our team the information we need instantly.
- Receives data effortlessly from multiple providers.
- Sends that data to our data warehouse without complaining.
- Makes it easy to debug via the console when things go wrong.
- Some of the integrations don't allow you to choose specific windows. For instance, you can't say 'only send the data that happened yesterday.' So we have one provider that we put a high volume of traffic through, and it dumps all 7 million records EVERY day.
- Multi-platform. Segment has easy integrations in many different web, backend, and app platforms/frameworks. We use the Segment SDK in Android and iOS as well as our node.js backend.
- Segment is fairly affordable for early-stage companies that are trying out different analytics software. The "developer" plan is free and is suitable for most companies with products that have a small user base.
- The UI is great! It is extremely intuitive and easy-to-learn, and this made it take very little time to integrate this software into our analytics and marketing workflows.
- For companies that have more than 10,000 monthly tracked users, Segment gets somewhat expensive, and may be unaffordable for some companies that have exceptional MTU stats.
- There is a small learning curve, and the amount of settings and things you can change can be slightly overwhelming in the early stages.
- Some pages can be overwhelming with too much data and things to look at.
- Ease of event tracking. Just like Google Analytics, except you can warehouse your own data for a reasonable price. Warehousing your own event data is critical for companies that want to leverage data science at some point in their existence (which should be all companies these days).
- Price. Startups can get by with the free version of Segment for a long time.
- Integrations and sources. Segment makes it easy to warehouse other types of data such as Google AdWords, Facebook Ads, etc. It also allows you to send event data to 3rd party services like Google Analytics.
- More and richer sources. For example, MailChimp is a source but the data you get from MailChimp is quite limited. I ended up writing my own scripts to take better advantage of MailChimp's API because Segment's integration was lacking.
- Better examples on how to set up event tracking. Pageview tracking is easy enough, but it would be nice if they had a sample app and corresponding code for it and showed you, via Git commits, how to add various kinds of events.
For larger corporations with more engineering resources, Google Tag Manager might be a better fit (more complicated, but also more customizable).
- We had started with Mixpanel, and the transition to Segment was really painless. The JS implementation used roughly the same structure, so it only took a couple of hours to re-instrument our whole app.
- Particularly if you are starting a new product, or just adding metrics to a product, I recommend starting with Segment.io.
- We have multiple metrics platforms in operation (Intercom, Mixpanel, GA, and others). Makes it trivial to keep all our metrics unified.
- Very little to dislike here. In some ways there is nothing sexy about Segment.io, but it gets the job done and stays out of your way.
If you have only a single analytics tool (E.g., Google Analytics) then you don't really need it. If you are solely within the Google-verse, then Google Tag Manager is an appropriate substitute.
- We setup segment on our marketing website, support website and application (SaaS)
- We installed segment to be able to track user data across a variety of platforms without having to install different tracking data for each platform
- Very easy to install tracking code across all websites and applications
- Very easy to turn on integrations to test a variety of marketing, sales and customer success platforms once tracking code is setup
- Saved a ton of time for our development team (saved me having to ask them every time I wanted to test a new marketing tool)
- Would be good to see their integration library grow with smaller solutions that are not as popular yet
- I found myself wanting integrations for a few marketing tools that were not yet in the application library
- The new integration management area is confusing, I liked the old version better
- I would recommend Segment to any marketing or customer success team of a software company
- It's perfect for enabling non-technical people to test a variety of tools without having to bug the development team every time
- If your going to be using tools like Intercom, FullStory, Mixpanel etc. you should be using segment to enable accurate data tracking across all of these platforms
Segment Scorecard Summary
Segment is an SF-based customer data platform that helps engineering teams at companies like Tradesy, TIME, Inc., Gap, Lending Tree, PayPal, and Fender, etc., achieve significant time and cost savings on their data infrastructure. The vendor says they also enable Product, BI, and Marketing teams to access 200+ tools (Mixpanel, Salesforce, Marketo, Redshift, etc.) to better understand and optimize customer preferences for growth— all integrations are pre-built and accessible through a central dashboard.
- Has featureFree Trial Available?Yes
- Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
- Does not have featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?No
- Entry-level set up fee?No
Segment Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Segment Technical Details
|Supported Countries:||North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia|