SterlingOne (TalentWise)

What is SterlingOne (TalentWise)?

What is SterlingOne (TalentWise)?

Sterling Talent Solutions in New York offers a suite of recruiting services and products, including criminal background checks and other verification and employee auditing tools. The flagship offering SterlingOne (formerly TalentWise) and that company's offerings were merged into Sterling's in early 2016.

SterlingOne (TalentWise) Competitors

SterlingOne (TalentWise) Technical Details

TransUnion SmartMove, Findigs, and ACRAnet are common alternatives for SterlingOne (TalentWise).

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 7.7.

David Winston | TrustRadius Reviewer
Rover uses SterlingOne for background checks of pet sitters.
  • none
  • Customer service
  • Accountability to clients
  • Meeting deadlines
  • Attention to detail
SterlingOne has had my background check in progress for nearly a month. I spoke with them 5 days ago about the issue and discovered there was a criminal record flag in Connecticut. I have never been to Connecticut. They said this can often happen if an individual has the same name, birthday, or last four digits of SSN. This is clearly a flaw in their system if someone with the same name or birthday can appear on the same background check. I feel bad for any John Smith who applies for a job with a company that uses SterlingOne, they'll never get past the screening. Not only is this a flawed system, but when I spoke with customer service about this, they guaranteed they would expedite this within 24-48 hours. It has now been 5 days and when I called back, they said they would expedite this as if I had never called in the first place. I have been through numerous background checks for work in my life, I have done live scans and had my fingerprints taken, and have been approved to work with children with special needs (which requires a very rigorous screening) and I have never experienced such a disjointed and unprofessional process.
With every new hire, we run their background check through Sterling Talent Solutions no matter what department they will be in. The initiation is easy and Sterling takes it from there to run the background check and communicate with the new candidate.
  • The initiation of a background check is very simple by only needing the name and email of the new candidate and submitting that as the new ticket.
  • Sterling communicates with the new candidate to keep the background check moving which saves us time by not needing to keep a close eye on the process of the background check.
  • Sterling communicates with the employer to let them know if additional charges are needed to run the background check and we can either approve or deny the charge.
  • We have had to reach out multiple times to decrease the maximum we are willing to spend if past employers are using a third party to run the background check and it cost an additional amount to run the background. We have had to communicate back a forth multiple times to lower it to a more reasonable price.
Sterling does do a great job of running and completing the background checks. The only downfall would be the additional charge limit that has been complicated to figure out with Sterling.
Overall, the company is efficient and completes the task we need on hand.
Sterling Talent Solutions is used by our company to perform the background check for the candidates. It is automatically integrated into the Oracle Taleo application to get the candidate information automatically after the offer is given to the candidate.
  • Background checks
  • It provides us the safer hiring decisions with comprehensive background and identity checks.
  • Delay in response
  • Time taken to perform the background checks.
  • Well suited:
  • Where the organization has a larger number of hires expected, and the background needs to be thoroughly checked.
  • They perform the educational background check for other countries as well.
  • Well suited when Comprehensive drug screening, background checks, criminal checks are required.
  • Less Suited:
  • When the hire or recruiting cap is very low for a company.

• Sterling Talent is an excellent company for performing the background checks for our new hires. However, the delay in processing times can be improved.
  • Also, there should be automation from legacy systems to pick up the candidate details as much as possible instead of asking for more details from the candidate via email.
Rebecca Boschert | TrustRadius Reviewer
Sterling is currently used as our background check provider and also facilitates our onboarding paperwork. The system is integrated with our ATS so we are able to transition applicants from the candidate stage, to the background stage and then the onboarding stage relatively seamlessly. There are just four users, all within the HR function.
  • Criminal County and Federal searches are typically completed in a timely manner
  • The user interface is straightforward and easy to navigate
  • The ability to have new hires complete onboarding paperwork is excellent
  • The majority of the customer facing operations are based in India. This has perpetuated communication issues on my behalf as well as on the behalf of candidates who are going through the background check process. I often get complaints from candidates that they are concerned about supplying information to individuals in other countries which is understandable in light of the scams that exist today. I believe it also impacts the ability to get employment verifications completed in a timely manner.
  • Employment verifications are slow and often we cancel them and complete the verification on our own. As mentioned, I think part of this issue is that when they reach out for verifications, previous employees are hesitant to call back. When Sterling is not able to get a verification, they then ask for tax documents which is invasive and unnecessary. When this happens, I am typically able to make a phone call myself and accomplish in 10 minutes what they could not in 5 days. Prior to Sterling purchasing Talentwise, my initial provider, this was never an issue.
  • Sterling provides rapid drug screening service, which we take advantage of and appreciate. However, often candidates show up at a lab to complete testing and the facility does not offer rapid testing. Sterling could do a much better job of sending candidates to a facility that can provide the service.
  • There is a severe lack of personalized customer service. I have no relationship with my dedicated "business relationship executive team" in India. They are simply individuals who I don't know by name that pick up the phone, practically read from a script when I call with a problem, and put me on hold for 5 minutes at a time trying to find an answer to something they don't know. Again, this is something I significantly miss about Talentwise.
If a company is seeking a quick criminal background check or only does occasional searches, Sterling is fine. If a company has a need for more frequent, in depth checks, Sterling will disappoint. Background check companies exist to take the onus off employers who have many other focuses. I spend way too much time solving problems that occur because Sterling is not getting the job done. We are in the process of seeking a new provider.