Stripe

Stripe the Paypal killer!

Through Wave Apps, I use Stripe as my primary billing method to collect my monthly web care payments from my clients. I also have it as my …

Stripe automates your billing!

Stripe helps us collect customer payment automatically. My entire company uses Stripe, and it helps us easy track invoicing, …

Easy Payment Processor

I use Storenvy to sell some of my products—Stripe was the way to receive payments. When a customer places an order with me, the money is …

Stripe just works. Use it.

We use Stripe as a payment processor for our e-commerce business. Stripe came about as a super simple method of embedding code into …

Swipe with Stripe

I am the sole owner of my business and use a software system called Simple Practice. I use Stripe to run my clients' credit card payments …

Stripe

Stripe is being used as our primary credit card processor. It is used to collect 80% of our revenue collection across the company. We have …

Sigma

per charge

Radar

per screened transaction

Issuing

per virtual card

What is Stripe?

Stripe is a payment gateway software solution which supports a range of payment related needs such as subscription management and recurrent billing via Stripe Billing, integration with third party payment services via the Stripe Connect API, assistance starting an Internet business which accepts payements via Stripe Atlas, fraud prevention via Stripe Radar, and payment analytics via Stripe Sigma.

Additional features and modules include Stripe Issuing, which allows users to create, manage, and distribute virtual and physical cards. Control expenses, reduce operational burden, and create new lines of revenue. Stripe Invoicing is a global invoicing platform. Stripe Treasury is a banking-as-a-service API that lets users embed financial services in a marketplace or platform. With a single integration, enable customers to hold funds, pay bills, earn interest, and manage cash flow.

Stripe Video

The opportunity ahead (and at Stripe)

Stripe Technical Details

Alternatives

What is Stripe's best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 8.5.

Who uses Stripe?

The most common users of Stripe are from Small Businesses and the Computer Software industry.

Andy Ryan | TrustRadius Reviewer
They are very similar. PayPal charges you monthly to have the ability to set up monthly payments. I had a problem with PayPal earlier this year where it would let me set up a recurring payment but then would not let me charge my customer the following month. It's actually a pain in the ass to have to go into PayPal every month and bill your clients on the billing cycle day. Stripe does it automatically.
Bryan McAnulty | TrustRadius Reviewer
PayPal's support during issues has been abysmal in our experience to say the least. Our software team has reported bugs to PayPal's team, and these bugs were either ignored after years of multiple reports and in some cases simply deleted without response.

If PayPal were not still a primary choice of a percentage of our customers, we would not use them at all. The lack of confidence we have working with them is the complete opposite experience that we have with Stripe.

We've also worked with Authorize.Net before Stripe existed as a service. In the past 10 years, Authorize.Net has not really improved its service, and Stripe while generally more expensive, is miles ahead in what it provides both developers and merchants as I mentioned earlier.
James Crook ☛ Business Coach for Massage Therapists ☚ | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Square for point of sale payments but we only use that occasionally if we are at an expo or similar. I have also used a credit card service from our bank but it was several years ago and it was technologically slow and expensive. Stripe is easier to use and reasonably priced for transactions.
February 20, 2021

Stripe the Paypal killer!

Kevin Miller | TrustRadius Reviewer
Paypal has a high number of policy changes that are frequent, things are always changing in the back end. I've heard various reports of Paypal holding funds from business owners, pulling out money from business bank accounts and more. They believe fraudulent buyers over trusted sellers' increasing fraud. Stripe has been a breath of fresh air with zero issues for my business and nothing reported from clients.
Dr Olivier Becherel - Leadership and Executive Coaching | TrustRadius Reviewer
Stripe is much easier to set up and use, has a simpler UI, and lower transaction fees. A no-brainer when it comes to taking credit card payments online.
John Crumpton | TrustRadius Reviewer
Stipe vs PayPal: Stripe has a lower rate and a more modern interface. It integrated with the Memberpress membership plugin we use for client sites. Stripe vs Worldpay: Stripe has a much better interface and the user experience for the customer is much better. With Worldpay, they have to leave and visit another site! Stripe does the heavy lifting in the background.
As mentioned, if you are selling on Shopify, I would go with Shopify Payments instead of Stripe. The main difference between the two are the fees. Stripe currently charges a 2.9% + $0.30 while Shopify Payments can drop to 2.4% + $.30 per order. Another difference is that Shopify payments are already integrated into Shopify, so there's no additional setup needed.
Stripe was basically the easiest to install, configure, and use with my set up of WordPress with WooCommerce. Additionally, I was able to expand functionality with paid plugins to get me the setup I needed to sell to my customers. Other processors have the same fee structure, but sometimes functionality is limited.
Stripe and Paypal are both excellent options for accepting payments. Paypal is a little more widely accepted for international payments, but domestically within the US we see that most of our customers use the Stripe module for payment processing over Paypal. Both are equally adept at weeding out fraud charges though.
Reagan Baird Nash | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use both options pretty interchangeably, to be honest. Both Paypal and Stripe connect to the scheduling software I use and prefer (Acuity Scheduling), so I don't have any problem switching between the two. I've also used Venmo for these same purposes, but much prefer Stripe for the integrations, automation, and online dashboard functionality.
Sarah Lightman | TrustRadius Reviewer
I like both, but I like how Stripe offers more options for shipping, costs, and I like how they ask clients if they want to subscribe at the end of the transaction. Usually, I’d even have to input their info to Mailchimp manually, but Stripe automatically does it for me! It makes it way more efficient for doing my job!
David S. Levine, CFRE | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used to use Square, but they couldn't compete with Stripe's rates. Also, Give Lively only uses Stripe, so we decided to simplify our systems and use one processor.
Stripe is not like Square since we use it mostly for recurring charges for our clients. Square is good if contractors send us an electronic invoice and our partners sometimes use Square as a POS system, since there is a device that can connect to your phone to swipe a card. If Stripe had the same device and capabilities as Square such as sending e-invoices to others or swiping a card using a device, Stripe would be a great all-in-one platform.
Stripe does subscriptions pretty well, and the API makes it really easy to work with compared with PayPal. And Shopify seemed to have a lot more limitations as to where it could be implemented, when we researched it several years ago.
Anush Ramani | TrustRadius Reviewer
Stripe is significantly easier to integrate with than all other payment processors. We have integrations with Authorize.Net & CyberSource, but their support is extremely poor when compared with Stripe. We have an integration with PayPal as well, but have effectively deprecated it due to numerous issues and will not bring new customers on to it.

Square only recently began supporting our marketplace model, so it's too soon to say if they would be a good fit or not.
Witt Sparks | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our previous product was Cloudnet360, which provides an integrated shopping cart and CRM. With Cloudnet, our customers had to leave our site and go to an outside checkout page in order to purchase. In addition, Stripe provides a robust API which allows us to automate more of the work of maintaining a subscription service.
Adam Stern | TrustRadius Reviewer
When deciding what payment processing platform to implement, we chose between Dwolla, Paypal, Braintree, Google Marketplace, and of course, Stripe. Most of the options had similar offerings. Dwolla had a different pricing structure which requires an enterprise contract. Dwolla and Stripe had the best customer service. Google Marketplace was a disaster in many respects. In the end, Stripe had the most effective pricing structure, the nicest feature set, and the best documentation.
Brandon Zell | TrustRadius Reviewer
Compared to using PayPal for recurring monthly fees, Stripe is more professional, better designed, and gives you more control over everything. PayPal is easy to get started, and it's possible to use even on a flat-file website, but Stripe is by far a better experience once you're setup.

I've not used Braintree very much, but I believe I ran into some problems setting up my account that I didn't run into with Stripe.